Taranis 2.0.9.2 to 2.0.17 update

Matchless55

Taranis 2.0.9.2 to 2.0.17 update

Post by Matchless55 »

I have been trying to update my new Taranis Plus firmware from 2.0.9.2 to 2.0.17 using Companion 2.0 on Windows Vista without success, despite reading web information for OpenTx. In the USB drivers I have ‘STM device in DFU mode’ and have run Zadig, but it times out & fails. When I try to write firmware to Tx (Tx off) from Companion 2.0 I get DFU executable not Found. – why? I would like to get it working – EPROMS etc all transfer ok.
I have reverted to copying the new firmware directly onto the SD card then writing it onto the Tx via the bootloader. I notice the Tx still shows Bootloader 2.0.9.2 – are there any potential issues using this when writing the 2.0.17 firmware to the Tx?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis 2.0.9.2 to 2.0.17 update

Post by MikeB »

Have you tried powering the Taranis on in bootloader mode BEFORE plugging the USB cable in?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Matchless55

Post by Matchless55 »

Thanks, I have tried that: ie Open Companion, turn on Tx in bootload, connect USB, then select download firmware to Tx. Companion responds with 2 consecutive green progress bars as if it is doing something, but the firmware does not appear on the Tx bootloader menu (when USB disconnected) or on the SD in the firmware folder. I think over the last few days I have tried all possible permutations! Hence I resorted to directly copying the firmware to the SD. Any comment on my question about risks using the 2.0.9.2 bootloader to load 2.0.17?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It won't appear there, it is writing the firmware directly to the processor, so the update is complete.
The only problem with the bootloader is if you are using a SD card that is larger than 4Gb. A bug was fixed, although I'm not sure this was fixed in 2.0.17 anyway!

Mike.

Edit: Just checked, the bug for larger Sd cards was fixed in 2.0.16.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Matchless55

Post by Matchless55 »

Hi,
I did wonder that. So as a quick check (excuse the detail), I connected the Tx to PC and deleted 2.0.17 from the SD & then using Tx bootloader re-wrote 2.0.9.2 to the Tx. Then confirmed 2.0.9.2 was loaded in the Radio Menu.
I then tried to load 2.0.17 from Companion: Open Companion/Turn on Tx in bootloader mode/connect USB/In Companion select Write firmware to Tx/Selected 2.0.17 & write to Tx.
At this point I got ONE progress bar and a message 'New firmware is not compatiblewith one currently installed' .
I then disconnected the USB and the Tx bootloader only showed 2.0.9.2 and that was what was showing in the Radio Menu on the Tx.
So, I then put 2.0.17 back on the Tx via the SD & confirmed it in Radio Menu.
I then tried to write 2.0.17 onto the Tx from Companion - this time I got TWO progress bars & no message.
So it looks like Companion will only write 2.0.17 if its already on the Tx? - or am I missing something?
I have probably put 10 years of switch/connector use on the Tx without flying a model!!!

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Unfortunately changes made by FrSky in their latest version cause the "check hardware compatibility" system in companion (that aims to prevent flashing firmware for a "Normal" Taranis to a Taranis Plus or vice versa, and works by looking at what is currently installed on the radio and warns if different from what you're going to flash) to not recognise the installed firmware and report a false incompatibility.

So make sure you're writing the right firmware, uncheck the "check hardware compatibility" box and you'll be good. Once you're not dealing with FrSky firmware anymore the function can be reenabled and will work as intended.
Matchless55

Post by Matchless55 »

So I was so close..... Thanks

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”