s.port Telemetry on Taranis JR Module port

SystemsGuy

s.port Telemetry on Taranis JR Module port

Post by SystemsGuy »

Hey guys - if this is not the right place, feel free to move!! I've built a jr module carrier to allow me to use a oplink module in my Taranis. It's working fine for control, but the telemetry is doing my head in.

I've an inverter circuit putting out what looks like good data to me on pin 5 of the module port at 57,600 baud. I've selected Frsky s.port on page 12 (telemetry page), and attempted to discover sensors, and I get nothing. If I replace my module with an OpenLRS Hawkeye DTH/UHF module, and change the telemetry type to Frsky D, I get RSSI, A1, & A2 as expected. If I reprogram the module to Frsky s,port, and change the config on the Taranis, again, I get no sensor data....

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?!

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: s.port Telemetry on Taranis JR Module port

Post by MikeB »

Please confirm in SPort mode, you are sending the data in 10-byte packets (SPort protocol).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
SystemsGuy

Post by SystemsGuy »

Hey Mike - yes, I believe it's correct protocol wise. I've attached two serial captures of the stream, one with "default" data - no Rx connected, and one with a link established with the rx and some "real" data present in the stream.
Attachments
oplink-frsky-sport.txt
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
oplink-frsky-sport-link-up.txt
(26.59 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Looks like only 8 byte packets to me, they should include the leading 0x7E and physical ID or they won't be recognised.
Do you also do the byte stuffing?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
SystemsGuy

Post by SystemsGuy »

Over my head now Mike - I'm not the programmer, just putting the electronics together! :) I'll ask and see what comes back - thanks for the assistance so far.

Out of curiosity - would you happen to have a good telemetry stream I can playback into the taranis? At least I'd then know the electronics side was working..

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Your captures just contain ASCII garbage, might want to set PuTTY to display hexadecimal to make it easier to actually see something.

What firmware are you using on the OPLink? Last I know OpenPilot didn't support Smart port telemetry.
SystemsGuy

Post by SystemsGuy »

Kilrah wrote:Your captures just contain ASCII garbage, might want to set PuTTY to display hexadecimal to make it easier to actually see something.
I'm using a hex viewer to look at the files - but I'll take a look at the putty config now.
Kilrah wrote: What firmware are you using on the OPLink? Last I know OpenPilot didn't support Smart port telemetry.
I'm running Tau on the OPLink.
SystemsGuy

Post by SystemsGuy »

MikeB wrote:Looks like only 8 byte packets to me, they should include the leading 0x7E and physical ID or they won't be recognised.
Do you also do the byte stuffing?

Mike.
Mike - you nailed it - there was a regression defect in the Tau code that was dropping the first two bytes! Thanks for the extra set of eyes on this one!
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Hi,
Can I ask are you using JR module on Taranis , and feeding JR telemetry and convert it to Frysky and feed it back to Taranis to display and log it ?

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”