9x, OpenTx, and simulator NOOB confusion

interestingfellow

9x, OpenTx, and simulator NOOB confusion

Post by interestingfellow »

A long time ago, in a land not so far away, it was discovered that the resistor mod was required in order to use a 9x with simulators. Then some really smart people figured out how to fix the FW to just make things work.

But I'm still confused and answering the following questions seems nigh impossible...

I am about to load OpenTx on a 9x and plan on using the stock flysky module (for my V911) and an orange Dsm2/dsmx/devo module (for a couple SR's that were given to me), but also want to use it for simulating in Phoenix.

Q1: Was the resistor mod only for the Flysky module or would I have needed to do the resistor mod for the DSM2/X/Devo module as well (before PPMSIM was incorporated)?

Q3: In order to use PPMSIM, do I have to setup a new model in the eeprom?
Q4: In order to accurately reflect how my particular bird/settings will react while in the sim, I'll need to setup the PPMSIM model with the same parameters as my target model? For instance, I could just copy the SR model in the eeprom, and activate PPMSIM in it?

Q5: Can I just use a model profile already setup in my 9x, pull the module, and have it work with a sim without the resistor or PPMSIM?

Thank you so much, I know how annoying noobs can be!

Kilrah

Re: 9x, OpenTx, and simulator NOOB confusion

Post by Kilrah »

Q1: No idea, depends on the module's design.

Q3/4: Depends on the simulator. Some want a simple 4-channel "airplane"-type model and do their own mixing. If yours needs the programmed model it's probably easiest to just change the protocol on your "normal" model to PPMSIM when you do some sim and change it back when you're done.

Q5: Yep. The mod/PPMSIM was done mostly because the Flysky module wasn't really removable because of the antenna cable.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't know for certain if openTx does the same as er9x, but with er9x, if PPMSIM is enabled then it is used automatically if the Tx is operating in "student" mode (powered because the trainer cable is plugged in with the power switch off).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
interestingfellow

Post by interestingfellow »

Thank you, I think that cleared most of of it up fer me....except

MikeB, are you saying that PPMsim is automatically enabled when a trainer cable is plugged in w/main power off? Is that with and/or without a module installed?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my 9x with a simulator, hopefully with the settings I have setup for my actual heli *also in the simulator....:confused:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not certain with openTx. I maintain er9x firmware, and that has a configuration option that chooses whether PPMSIM is used in "student" mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

MikeB wrote:I don't know for certain if openTx does the same as er9x
It doesn't, on OpenTX PPMSIM is just one entry in the usual protocol list.

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”