Switch Warning for Rotary Encoder Problem

quadfather

Switch Warning for Rotary Encoder Problem

Post by quadfather »

I have replaced S2 with a 6-pos switch (calibrated and confirmed working) in my old Taranis B running OpenTX 2.0.17.

I set up a switch warning for S2 for the left-most position. When I turn on the radio, for example with S2 in the right-most position, I get the expected switch warning. However, a single click to the left will then dismiss the warning. I expected it to only pass if S2 was rotated to the left-most position. Is that a bug or am I misunderstanding how the warning system works?

Kilrah

Re: Switch Warning for Rotary Encoder Problem

Post by Kilrah »

The 6-pos switch has "dead zones" between positions and will thus be read as the leftmost position for a short time everytime you move it. I guess that's enough to clear the warning.
quadfather

Post by quadfather »

Gotcha! Just checked by setting the alert for the right-most position, and that does indeed not clear until S2 is in that position. I was going to open a bug on GitHub but seeing that this is a "feature" of the switch there's probably no point.

Thanks for the quick response.
elliott2

Post by elliott2 »

One thing you want to keep in mind when using rotary switches, some of them are shorting and some of them are non-shorting. What this means is that when you move from one position to another the non-shorting hit an open spot in between the two contacts and the shorting connect the two contact positions together as it moves from one position to the next. You can usually get the switch in either 'flavor'. For example a Grayhill 56SD36-01-1-AJS is a shorting type and a Grayhill 56SD36-01-1-AJN is the same switch in the non-shorting configuration.

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”