Hello and help please

DrKHawonaha

Hello and help please

Post by DrKHawonaha »

Hello everyone,

I'm new around these parts and I'm very excited about the 'brave new world' that OpenTX and my shiny new Taranis has opened up for me.
The fantastic wealth of knowledge from the folks on this forum, coupled with the OpenTX University is at the same time a little daunting but very reassuring.

So, straight to my very first conundrum that I was hoping someone here might be able offer some help or suggestions,

I have been playing with my Taranis (setting up hypothetical mixes and settings... my build is still a couple of weeks away from completion :( )

and I really wanted to delve into using 'companionX9' BUT... the waning on the OpenTX site states:

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Please note that your radio has been delivered with a firmware that is customised and exclusive to FrSky, and is not part of the OpenTX team’s offerings and development cycle. It is supposed to be used on its own, exclusively on the radio (no companion), and is supported directly by FrSky which means that should something not work or any feature request should be expressed directly to them. It is stable and suitable for most usage cases, and is the preferred version that most Taranis owners should likely be using.

What are peoples thoughts? should I upgrade from the 'stock' Frsky firmware? Are there any 'pit-falls' I need to look out for if I do so? Will the chicks dig me if I do?

cheers in advance folks

rdeanchurch

Re: Hello and help please

Post by rdeanchurch »

I doubt you will find much help here on FrSky's version.
Although it is derived from OpenTx, it is bot the same as what we, on this forum, generally discuss.
Not being able to use Companion would severely cripple the usefulness and ease of using the Taranis in my opinion.

As bugs are fixed and new features are generated, they go into the 'next' release.
Currently the stable version is OpenTx 2.0.15 and the version of companion, 'OpenTxCompanion' is also 2.0.15.
It is strongly recommended that the versions are used together.

I believe that Companion 1.52 can be used to upgrade to V2.0.15. THIS NEEDS VERIFICATION by someone else to be sure!

After upgrading the transmitter, then also upgrade to OpenTxCompanion..

Yes, I would recommend upgrading, for some bug fixes, some new features and the ability to use OpTxComp., with your PC.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
DrKHawonaha

Post by DrKHawonaha »

Hello rdeanchurch,
Thank you very much for replying to my plight.
You have pointed out something that I had totally overlooked! The fact that this forum (with all it's very helpful members, such as yourself), OpenTX University etc etc are all not going to be as truly relevant as they could be if I don't upgrade to actual OpenTX!

To be honest with myself I think I have made up my mind to upgrade... I guess what I am after is reassurance! I just need to 'man-up'!

Thank you again
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Man up, DOC!

There is also a lot of helpful people on RCGroups....but again, they will almost to a person have upgraded.

On the other hand I have a very good,(and old) friend who let me upgrade him to get the bootloader installed, a working Companion version and has never upgraded since.
He flies precision aerobatics with models up to 40% gassers and sees no reason for more than he has now.
Dean
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If it is a recently purchased Taranis, it should have the bootloader already installed, which will make the upgrade procedure much easier.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Mike is one of the people on these forums that you can really trust....there are several. But nobody knows the bootloader like MikeB.
And I forgot that newer T's are so easy to upgrade as they do already have the bootloader.
I believe OpenTxU walks you thru the upgrade process pretty much doing everything but pushing the buttons/clicking the mouse.
Dean
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Yes, upgrade! Just being able to use Companion justifies it, even if you don't have an interest in other new features. And it vastly helps when you come here for assistance.

The FrSky position essentially amounts to "If you want help from FrSky, stick to our version." It's understandable that they can't take responsibility for versions of OpenTX that they don't control, or for the Companion program, which they also don't control. I do think they might have worded it a little differently, though.
DrKHawonaha

Post by DrKHawonaha »

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Sorry I couldn't say thanks sooner, it been a busy few days. Unfortunately these 'busy few days' have also meant that I have not had a chance to sit down and relish in the warm glow you get from a worthwhile upgrade... but I will soon!

I also have since hit upon another problem (openpilot + SBus + Taranis) but i'll have a good ole rummage through the forum to try and find a solution before I 'bug' any one further with my woes.

Thanks again guys, you're the best.

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”