Rx firmware flashing using Companion?

TigerOC

Rx firmware flashing using Companion?

Post by TigerOC »

Companion has the ability to flash the tx via a USB cable. Is it possible to flash a rx by the same route.

I only use Ubuntu Linux and it seems flashing is somewhat restricted to M$ systems.

There was a thread where "Mike" flashed a rx from the tx maintenance menu but I don't see anything in that menu that relates to what he was doing.

Reason being that I am in the UK and have pre - EU restricted equipment now. Any new rx's will have EU standard firmware and I would prefer to carry on using my current system.

I note some reference to this in posting 16239 at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... &page=1083

Grateful for any help.

Rob

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Rx firmware flashing using Companion?

Post by MikeB »

No, you can't flash a Rx using a USB cable.

Is "maintenance mode" now available in openTx?
I implemented "maintenance mode" in ersky9x, it should be being added to openTx. If it is not there yet, do the following:

1. Copy the Rx firmware to a "Firmware" sub-directory on the SD card (not "Firmwares").
2. Backup your EEPROM.
3. Either backup your flash memory, or make sure you have a copy of the firmware available.
4. Go here: http://code.google.com/p/ersky9x/source ... vn%2Ftrunk, and download ersky9x for your Tx, x9d_rom.bin for the Taranis, x9dp_rom.bin for the Plus.
5. Flash the .bin file to the Tx, then power off the Tx.
6. Hold the two horizontal trim switches APART and power on, this will enter maintenance mode.
7. Connect your Rx SPort connection to the correct pins of the external module connector. Take GREAT CARE to get these connections correct. The bottom three pins are, from the bottom, signal, ground, power, the SPort connections on the Rx are signal, power, ground, so two wires need to cross over.
8. In the maintenance menu, select "Update ext. Sport device", then select the correct file from the list. Note ersky9x uses the 6 buttons differently from openTx, see the labels on the LCD for their new function.
9. Confirm the firmware update and wait for it to complete. It does take quite a long time, a minute or 2.
10. Power off the Tx and disconnect the Rx from it.
11. Flash openTx back to the Tx.
12. Your EEPROM should still be correct as long as you didn't run ersky9x other than in maintenance mode, otherwise restore your EEPROM.
Done!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
TigerOC

Post by TigerOC »

Thanks Mike. In the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... &page=1083 rc-smurf mentions it is being included in 2.0.16 release.

Rob
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

TigerOC wrote: I only use Ubuntu Linux and it seems flashing is somewhat restricted to M$ systems.
Rob
Rob, for tasks like that I have an old WIN XP in virtual box under PCLinuxOS ...

Full USB access ...

br KH
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto18.jpeg
TigerOC

Post by TigerOC »

Sadly kalle123 I have been M$ free for 15years. Dumped it after '98 and went to Debian. Have no M$ software except '98 install cd. Might be worth buying and xp home edition off fleabay as I see they are very cheap.

Rob

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Just for your information, windows XP has been discontinued and Microsoft no longer offers support for it.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

jhsa wrote:Just for your information, windows XP has been discontinued and Microsoft no longer offers support for it.

João
Who cares :D Support for what, please? And I don't want to mess around with wine.

br KH
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

kalle123 wrote:And I don't want to mess around with wine.
I do.. Red or White are both fine ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Rob, a short demo for you. (6.6MB, too big to attach here, so I place it in my dropbox)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59684578/test.avi

PCLinuxOS desktop. I start WIN XP in vbox.
Have a USB UART CP2102 with RX TX connected in a USB port of the PC. loopback test
Activate that USB UART in WIN XP.
Open a terminal in WIN XP. (realterm)
Send (green) and receive (yellow) ASCII.

Need that WIN XP in vbox for: Some examples

Multiplex Launcher for my MPX TX, M_setup for mobius cam software, flashing frsky components, u-center for u-blox GPS, and and and..... and don't listen to Joãos comments :lol:

br KH
TigerOC

Post by TigerOC »

Thanks KH. I am going to hang fire on buying a Win XP cd until I see how Mike's solution through 2.0.16 works. I think there is going to be a need as peeps in EU who have old rx's that need flashing or those that want to remain on the existing setup will need a tool to resolve this in the future. Unless the agents are prepared to carry out the conversions.

Rob
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

kalle123 wrote:and don't listen to Joãos comments :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Brain slowly ticking over here :shock:
1. FrSky supply a program for Windows called "frsky_update_Sport.exe". This uses the FrUSB3 (FUC3) and SPC items to allow updating of SPort devices. This program is actually built using QtCreator, a-multi platform development tool. QT is used for eepe/eepskye and, I think, Companion.
2. FrSky provided me with the source code for "frsky_update_Sport.exe" so I could provide "maintenance mode" for updating SPort devices.
3. It should be possible to build an executable of "frsky_update_Sport.exe" for running under linux.
4. Given some time, I'll see if I can do so!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Rob, if your computer is up to date, you could try WIN 7 instead of WIN XP. Mine is not so new anymore and I did try to have WIN 7 in vbox, but that was no fun. Stuttering behavior. With WIN XP (and I hope, you could see it) I don't see a difference in behavior to a "real" WIN.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Mike, but your are not planning to do that also for mpx-launcher, m_setup, ft_prog, u-center, real term and so on ....?
;)

br KH

In my opinion vbox is a very good solution!

There are two versions around - VirtualBox OSE (Open Source Edition) and VirtualBox PUEL (Personal Use and Evaluation License)

PUEL is to be preferred (and also free for personal use!)
TigerOC

Post by TigerOC »

MikeB wrote:Brain slowly ticking over here :shock:
1. FrSky supply a program for Windows called "frsky_update_Sport.exe". This uses the FrUSB3 (FUC3) and SPC items to allow updating of SPort devices. This program is actually built using QtCreator, a-multi platform development tool. QT is used for eepe/eepskye and, I think, Companion.
2. FrSky provided me with the source code for "frsky_update_Sport.exe" so I could provide "maintenance mode" for updating SPort devices.
3. It should be possible to build an executable of "frsky_update_Sport.exe" for running under linux.
4. Given some time, I'll see if I can do so!

Mike.
That would be great Mike. Many of the qt libraries are used extensively by linux already.

Rob
TigerOC

Post by TigerOC »

kalle123 wrote:Rob, if your computer is up to date, you could try WIN 7 instead of WIN XP. Mine is not so new anymore and I did try to have WIN 7 in vbox, but that was no fun. Stuttering behavior. With WIN XP (and I hope, you could see it) I don't see a difference in behavior to a "real" WIN.
kalle123 sadly I have a really bad allergy to M$ and even come out in hives thinking about them :D
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Rob, I agree. Personally I am totally happy NOT to use Win, but in industry I HAD TO USE IT.

Been a long way with linux now. Started with a pile of 3.5" SuSE diskettes, then Redhat, followed by Kubuntu ...

But my hobbies (rc model + electronics) do force me, to have some kind of win on my pc, because the software for those is only available for win ;)

br KH

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”