loading backup files/models to Taranis

wingsaway

loading backup files/models to Taranis

Post by wingsaway »

I was putting new sound files on my radio and somehow deleted all of the models on my Taranis. I'm panicking lol.

I still have the window open in "Open TX" with all my models from when I read them off my radio but I can't seem to get them back on the radio. I can open my models in OpenTX and see all the files/settings are there correctly. I used Opentx to save them as a backup in a .bin file just in case.

1) I click write models and settings to radio (I cannot select the boxes about patch calibration or HW settings)
2) I click write to Tx (Taranis is plugged in and on)
3) A box says "Copy finished correctly" (hit ok)
4) I disconnect the radio and the Taranis tells me "bad EEprom data-hit any key...then formatting EEprom"
5) I'm prompted to recalibrate my switches/throttle/etc...then I get a throttle switch warning
6) When I check my models I only have "model01"

wingsaway

Re: loading backup files/models to Taranis

Post by wingsaway »

I also tried writing the backup to my radio with no luck. Hmmm
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Details needed to help.
What version of OpenTx are you using?
What version of Companion to go with it?
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
wingsaway

Post by wingsaway »

I am using:

OpenTX Companion 2.0.8 - Mac OS X Application

I'm not sure what openTx version I am using in the radio. It's whatever the taranis came with when I bought it in March of this year. I can look when I get home from work tonight-I assume that info is in the radio under model setup or something.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

wingsaway wrote:I assume that info is in the radio under model setup or something.
Search for a screen like that on your tx
Attachments
screenshot-1.png
screenshot-1.png (1.76 KiB) Viewed 10129 times

rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

wingsaway wrote:I am using:

OpenTX Companion 2.0.8 - Mac OS X Application

I'm not sure what openTx version I am using in the radio. It's whatever the taranis came with when I bought it in March of this year. I can look when I get home from work tonight-I assume that info is in the radio under model setup or something.
Until someone more in the know chimes in, I'll say this.
To my knowledge OpenTXCompanionV2.x.x is NOT compatible with the original Firmware that came with the Taranis.

You need to try with a pre-version companionV2 such as Companion9x v 1.52.
Using Companion9x v 1.52 you should be able to read and write models.

oops, I can't send you a copy, I only use WinDoze.

look at
https://code.google.com/p/companion9x/
then
https://code.google.com/p/companion9x/downloads/list
Dean
wingsaway

Post by wingsaway »

Hmm. I will try an older version of companion tx. I can tell you that my (the newest) version on companion did read from my taranis. Just had trouble sending EPROM back to the radio. Also my backup is stored from the newer companion version in both .bin and EPROM files.

Any advantage to updating the firmware on the radio besides being able to use it with the new companion tc? I do like the new software better.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

There are a bunch of new things in the new firmware.
But if you are just starting on Taranis, it might be smart to get up to speed on the vanilla version.

I understand that Mac is easier to upgrade than Win, but it still can be confusing and frustrating the first time.
After you have upgraded once there is a much easier to use upgrade path for the next time.

But I have a very old friend, high school days, that flies precision aerobatics 35%+ gassers with the original firmware.
His motto is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I also think that you will not see all that many differences between Companion9x and OpenTxCompanion.
Same ideas in both, just some different names here and there. The Companion9x names will be closer to what you see on the Tx.
The original firmware is OpenTX...just a much earlier versiono pf OpenTx than is currently available, that FrSky tested, made some minor changes and ships with the Taranis. They feel that they tested it more for product liability issues. I would not agree, but then I'm not in a position to be threatened by lawyers either. (well at least for OpenTx issues ;-)
Dean
dvogonen

Re: Sv: loading backup files/models to Taranis

Post by dvogonen »

As you have discovered Companion 2.0 can read models and settings from a number of sources, including FrSky original firmware. But Companion 2 can only write the data back in OpenTX 2.0 format. This is the reason your transmitter thought the data was corrupted. FrSky's version of OpenTX does not understand the new format.

The big advantage in upgrading is that the OpenTX 2 - Companion 2 combination is actively supported and developed while the FrSky OpenTX - companion9x combination is not. New features and support for new hardware is a given in the supported combination, but highly unlikely in the other.
wingsaway

Post by wingsaway »

So I decided to update the Taranis with the newest firmware. I'm a little concerned from reading some posts from OpenTX programmers about the stability of the newest software as I don't need the latest, just something that works, but my models are back on my radio and I will test them out tomorrow morning-fingers crossed :) Thanks for all the advice, don't hold back if you have any comments!

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”