Open-Tx/Companion 2 for Linux

seabee

Open-Tx/Companion 2 for Linux

Post by seabee »

Have the Ubuntu 32 and 64 bit packages been dropped?
The Linux RPM package appears to contain only an i386 32 bit version which I have found to be Ubuntu/Mint hostile.

Seabee

deaconFlyer

Re: Open-Tx/Companion 2 for Linux

Post by deaconFlyer »

Same here ... I tried Alien but, despite several different configuration attempts, cannot get a package that will install.
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Open-Tx/Companion 2 for Linux

Post by dvogonen »

deaconFlyer wrote:Same here ... I tried Alien but, despite several different configuration attempts, cannot get a package that will install.
Debian/Ubuntu/Mint are absolutely not dropped. But Bertrand prepares the packages and he uses Fedora, so the first released packages are RPM. Fedora is the "official" build environment. André develops on Windows. My personal preference is however Mint. I mostly compile and test on that platform. I have however never prepared packages, otherwise I would have made some by now. I might have to learn...

I used alien to translate the RPM package to a deb package. The only issue I had was that I had to remove companion9x, since it had some kind of declaration active that got redeclared.

If alien does not work and you really, really want to run 2.0 you can always set up the build chain, compile Companion and then run "make install" to install it. Full instructions are available on the open-tx.org site.
deaconFlyer

Post by deaconFlyer »

You were right ... had to do a complete removal of Companion9X then the install worked. Alien did work its magic.

This morning I am getting a report that there is a new version of the software, but when I go to the website it is still 2.0.0 ... some people are talking about 2.0.1 but I can't seem to find it (yet!)

I am having problems with the Global Variable values being saved. They return back as "0" ... hope a new version fixes this.
seabee

Post by seabee »

I tried Alien without success, so modified the architecture adding AMD64 but that didn't work either. Not confident about building my own so sadly opted for Windows version for time being.

Having got 2.0 I can say it really is worth whatever pain you have to go through to get it. Thank you to everyone involved in its development.

dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

Apart from the deb/rpm issue the current 32 bit binaries will not work on a 64 bit system.. They are built for 32 bit Linux.
dermo

Post by dermo »

I am keen to try out 2.0.2 as soon as it is a published milestone. I am new to github but managed to compile OpenTX Companion and firmware 2.0.1 from a terminal as Ubuntu downloads are not yet available.

My question relates to using github as I need some education;

1. instead of doing a "git clone https://github.com/opentx/opentx" again how do I refresh the files I have with those that are for 2.0.2?

2. "git checkout master" - does this refer to 2.0 or 2.0.1 currently? I can see that 2.0.1 is a published milestone so presumably this is the master.

3. "git checkout next" - right now does this refer to 2.0.2 which is not yet a published milestone? When it is a published milestone can I just do a "git checkout 2.0.2" and will this be the same as "git checkout master"

D
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

1) git pull --rebase will update the branch you're on

2) 2.0.1

3) Correct, next is current development state, and master is the latest stable (which logically coincides with the latest tag).
TornadoRot

Post by TornadoRot »

I have set up a PPA with the latest companion for Ubuntu users (32 and 64 bit) at:

ppa:tornadorot/opentx-companion

Name of the package is "opentx-companion"

If you want to install companion on Ubuntu, you could do it like this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tornadorot/opentx-companion
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install opentx-companion
Jumusa

Post by Jumusa »

I have the following error while installing
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/opentx-companion_2.0.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/etc/udev/rules.d/45-taranis.rules', which is also in package companion 2.0.6-2

Any idea how to fix this?
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Are you installing 2 different companion versions on the same computer?
TigerOC

Post by TigerOC »

Jumusa wrote:I have the following error while installing
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/opentx-companion_2.0.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/etc/udev/rules.d/45-taranis.rules', which is also in package companion 2.0.6-2

Any idea how to fix this?
You have to un-install purge the previous version to install the new version 2

Rob
Jumusa

Post by Jumusa »

Ok, I got it working when I manually copied the necessary files. I had the old companion and I tried to updated to new. Also my OS was too old to start the companion so I updated to latest one. I think that TigerOC is right, if I uninstalled the previous version it would worked. Thanks for replies.
mogplus8

Post by mogplus8 »

I see this is an old thread but maybe someone out there will see this. I have installed the deb package for OpenTX Companion V2.1.3 in Linux Mint. Works a treat, no problem. However when I start Companion I get a dialog popup saying there is a newer version available. I have not been able to find a later version than 2.1.3. If I download (again) the 2.1.3 deb package and try to install it with gdebi, it tells me that's the version I already have installed. If I do a help about in Companion it tells me the version I have installed is 2.0.2. What's happening, and how do I fix it?
Thanks
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

mogplus8, can not verify your statement.

I am using 2.0.17 under Debian and for a fast test installed 2.1.3 under a Linux Mint in vbox.

Version shows 2.1.3 and no newer version available .... Looks fine here.

br
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto1.png
mogplus8

Post by mogplus8 »

WOW! That was quick! Thanks Kalle123.
I've solved my problem however, dumb user error... I had a shortcut setup on my desktop to Companion, which pointed to the old version... When I started the new version from the start menu, guess what, there was 2.1.3.
Apologies for wasting your time.
:-(
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Nothing, been a pleasure :mrgreen:
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

But with 2.1.3 I now see an deb and an deb.old version.
Bildschirmfoto2.png
Could someone here please give an explanation ....
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

The old packages had some problems (can't remember what now) and I renamed them for backup. I will remove them now.
projectkk2glider@github
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Hi dinamich.

Good idea. Put those in the trash .....

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”