Receive Telemetry Data from Multiple FLVSS

Joel

Receive Telemetry Data from Multiple FLVSS

Post by Joel »

Hi, I've put this up on GitHub as an "Enhancement Suggestion." Thought I would mirror it here in case others wish to discuss.

Link: https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/1064
Enhancement Suggestion: Receive Telemetry Data from Multiple FLVSS battery monitors via Smart Port

It would be great if there was a way for OpenTX to manage receiving Telemetry Data from multiple FrSky FLVSS battery monitors daisy chained from the Smart Port. This would assist when using multiple battery packs in either parallel or series on large aircraft and multi rotors.
Feel free to discuss pros/cons/possibilities/lmitations etc. Currently the FLVSS only allows you to monitor up to a single 6S lipo, so if you are running 2x 4S or 2x 6S batteries on a multi rotor for example monitoring the cells of each pack is not possible. Using multiple FLVSS would mean you can monitor all the individual cells on the multi rotor, so if a single cell across any batteries sags you are aware. Perhaps the need for this is incredibly small/limited, however I thought I would share the idea.

Kilrah

Re: Receive Telemetry Data from Multiple FLVSS

Post by Kilrah »

It would be easy to patch for one single >6s battery, but 2 independent batteries is a lot more work as it involves adding new menu selections etc.
As we intend to completely rework how telemetry is processed in the firmware anyway to remove those limitations and support an unlimited number of any sensor without further programming required, we'd rather not spend the time to add that now when we know it'll be scrapped just after. Especially as if we add support for 2 FLVSS sensors now tomorrow someone will want support for 3 FAS sensors, etc... and in the end we'll spend 2 weeks on something that is going to be trashed anyway :)
Joel

Post by Joel »

Hi Kilrah,

You are correct, perhaps my example here on the forums was not as clear as on the GitHub page.
Enhancement Suggestion: Receive Telemetry Data from Multiple FLVSS battery monitors via Smart Port

It would be great if there was a way for OpenTX to manage receiving Telemetry Data from multiple FrSky FLVSS battery monitors daisy chained from the Smart Port. This would assist when using multiple battery packs in either parallel or series on large aircraft and multi rotors.
Your comment is inline with what I had posted on GitHub, I used 2x batteries here on the forum just as an example of why, not to exclude those requiring monitoring of more than 2 batteries.
Cheo

Post by Cheo »

Hi:

Have this new handling of the Telemetry been implemented in the current OpenTX version? if not, when is it planned to be implemented?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's in progress for 2.1.

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”