Telemetry altitude problem

Dibble

Telemetry altitude problem

Post by Dibble »

I have just flown with my new Taranis for the first time, I put all the telemetry sensors that I have on it to test and see a problem with the altitude sensor (this is the old frsky unit which plugs into the sensor hub)

When I go above about 80m the values go high and count down rather than up, also I'm pretty sure that when the data was wrong the values displayed on the screen while flying were not the same as that saved in the telemetry logs.

I had saved the logs and have graphed the altitude (both from the altitude sensor and GPS altitude) to show the problem. This did not happen with my pre-taranis setup which used a FLD-02 display.
image.jpg
It is also interesting to see how the GPS altitude lags behind the frsky altitude.

The radio is running the firmware it came with (r2588)

Romolo
9x Developer

Re: Telemetry altitude problem

Post by Romolo »

I suppose it can be related with this fix that was done recently and still not published.

(it will be soon)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The spikes should be corrected, yes. The jump/reversal... well, no idea.

Would you be open to flashing a firmware that also logs the raw data received from the RF module so that we can see if the problem is on openTx or on the RF link?
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

Thanks Kilrah,

I would be happy to flash a test firmware.
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

I have just flown a different model with a similar setup (not the same actual units though) and the altitude did exactly the same.
The setup was a D8R-2 plus with a telemetry hub, a fas-100 and the fvas01 altimeter.

Has anyone else tried this altimeter and did it work?

I have not yet flashed the latest firmware, will try that next.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes try the latest firmware before going further, there's a known bug that was fixed in the meantime. If that's still not good, then we'll go with debug FW.

I tried an FVAS-01 but couldn't reproduce the problem...
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Has anyone tried using the winged shadows how high that plugs into the d8r data port, no hub needed?
I had been using it on my er9x FW but now I'd to to use it with the Taranis. So small and less hardware and wiring and good enough for normal flying to stay under the FAA altitude limit of 400 ft where I fly in Los Angeles.
Thank you
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

Just an update - I tried it with updated firmware today and it works as expected so problem solved. Thanks to kilrah for your help.

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”