X12S Screen goes blank

mpjf01

X12S Screen goes blank

Post by mpjf01 »

At present I have an X12S and when I load a particular model (attached) the screen goes blank (completely black, no backlight, nothing). I can hear normal voice responses so it seems that the model has loaded but I cannot see anything. The particular radio is a new X12S, production model AFAIK. this happens whether the model is loaded along with others and also when it is the only model on the radio. When the radio boots up with that model installed I see the splash screen, then the screen goes blank. When I shut down the screen comes to life with the shutdown screen. This happens when the model is on the SD card whether it is the active model or not. When that model is removed from the card the radio works as normal. The radio is running the latest production OpenTX 2.2.1 and the latest FRSKY RF Firmware.

I also have a previously beta radio that has been upgraded to production status. The same model (and settings) work normally.

The owner of the (apparently) faulty radio wants to know whether there is a hardware fault or whether it is something else. I'm hoping that someone else with a production radio can load the file and see whether or not any problem emerges. Thanks.

Of course I'd be grateful for any other insights.
Last edited by mpjf01 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kilrah

Re: X12S Screen goes blank

Post by Kilrah »

Mention firmware version and post the settings/file. Just seems like backlight off.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I've tried to attach the .otx several times, I'll change the extension and try again.
Attachments
Scorpion.otx.txt
(1.78 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

The RF firmware version is 1.5.03. The backlight settings on both transmitters are the same.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I just installed the FRSKY RF module firmware version 1.5.04. I still get the blank screen. There's no reason that I know of that this might have made a difference but I thought it was worth a try. The error on bind is now gone so there was a benefit.

mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

I have made some progress since my last post. If the backlight mode (Radio Settings) is set to ON the next line "ON brightness" applies. If the backlight mode is set to "both", "Controls", "Keys" or "OFF" then the next line again. "OFF brightness" determines the value that applies. On the old radio when the "OFF brightness" value is set to it's minimum the screen is dim but readable, on the newer production radio the screen is blank when the model is first written to the X12S. However, if I set the mode to ON in Companion and write to the X12S the screen works normally. If I then use the radio to adjust the backlight settings they all work normally and the screen does not switch off. So it seems something happens during the conversion process or when the model is written to the X12S by Companion that causes the backlight to go off even though the backlight settings seem to be such that it should be on. And this only happens on the production radio, the ex-beta radio processes the conversion/loading without the issue occurring.

I can't find a legitimate way to switch off the X12S backlight completely- is there one? The SF "Backlight" doesn't appear to do anything?

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”