Flashing OpenTX 2.2.1 to Horus X10

Soarer66

Flashing OpenTX 2.2.1 to Horus X10

Post by Soarer66 »

Hi guys, I recently took delivery of a shiny new X10 and after drooling over it for a few days decided, that whilst the FrOS system looks quite nice it was time to man up and install OpenTX. I really struggled with it in the past but with the help of Scott Page's videos and loads of reading, the penny eventually dropped and I'm getting to grips with it at last.
I followed Mike Dailey's (RCG) guide to the letter but when I connected the TX to my Mac (power off!) Nada, zilch. OSX cannot see the flash drive or the SD card! I don't know what the problem is. I'm using a known good USB cable that worked fine for updating the FrOS firmware on this TX and works fine on my Taranis X9D!
I understand that OpenTX runs from the SD card on this radio. If that is the case, can I flash OpenTX 2.2.1 from my computer direct to the SD card without using Companion? Thanks in anticipation guys.
Keith

Kilrah

Re: Flashing OpenTX 2.2.1 to Horus X10

Post by Kilrah »

Soarer66 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm but when I connected the TX to my Mac (power off!) Nada, zilch. OSX cannot see the flash drive or the SD card! I don't know what the problem is.
There is none. Nothing is supposed to appear when powered off and on a mac nothing will visibly happen, but flashing will work anyway.
Soarer66 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:14 pm I understand that OpenTX runs from the SD card on this radio.
Not at all.
Soarer66

Post by Soarer66 »

Kilrah, many thanks for your fast response. However I am confused (it's an age thing. I hope!!). If companion cannot see the drives, how can it know where to flash? perhaps you could clarify the procedure for me. Thanks again for your assistance and BTW you and the rest of the team are doing a pretty amazing job.
Regards
Keith
Update: I tried again, now my X10 is dead! Tried the reset button, nothing! Disconnected the battery for a few minutes, nothing! Totally bricked.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you plug in the USB with the power off, then the processor should start in "STM Bootloader" mode, where it runs code from a built in ROM. Your Mac should therefore find a "STM Bootloader" device. You won't see any hard drives on the Mac in this mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Soarer66

Post by Soarer66 »

It is stone dead, return to retailer I think. It stopped seeing the flash drive or SD card whether the Tx was on or off, then died a few hours later
Keith

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It never is. As mentioned in flashing mode it is normal not to see anything.

Any info about what you did and what messages you got during the process and what you get when trying it again would help getting you back up.
DJP

Post by DJP »

Hi, I am recently new to open tx and I too recently took receipt of my new X10s. Great radio but I wasn't sure about the interface so I flashed it with open TX. While it now works great I don't seem to be able to connect to the companion - can anyone clarify the steps to connect for me please.

Also, being a newbi (or numpty) when I flashed the with openTX i don't seem to have created a back up with the Fros system files, consequently I don't have the files to re-flash the FRos! Can anyone point me in the direction or provide me with the files needed to to reinstate the Fros (Horus interface)??
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

The X10 needs to be switched on, then connect to the PC/Mac. You will get a message on screen giving 2 options, either joystick or USB storage. You want the latter then you should be in.

Incidentally, hoping to have full documentation for X10/X12/X7/X9 radios with OpenTX 2.2 ready within 2-3 weeks. Will post on here. Its currently about 250 pages.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If you don't get a popup menu then go in radio settings and set USB to either Mass Storage or Ask (which would show the menu).

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”