9xtreme burn new firmware

eepSKYe is the desktop too for flashing and managing your sky9x firmware.
PAheliguy

9xtreme burn new firmware

Post by PAheliguy »

Hey guys, I upgraded my 9x with the old smartie rev2.4 with the newer 9Xtreme board. cant seem to update the boot loader.
I suck at this programing stuff. grrr. I know this should be clear cut, but cant seem to get either of these processes to work.
bootloader says v1.7ready... no firmware
but my version on radio says
vers: v. 3531-mike
DATE:08. 01. 2016
time: 11: 16: 20
SVN: ersky9x-r218
MOD: 9xt
So, I think the latest version is on radio? but I cant update bootloader?
Confused.

From the smariteparts site on updating firmware
The procedure for updating the unit's firmware is not intuitive, but it is simple. There are other methods, but following these steps should work:
Pinch your two horizontal trims inward while at the same time flipping the power switch on. This puts the 9Xtreme into bootloader mode. Don't worry about any message on the screen about "no firmware".
Now plug in the USB cable between your computer and your radio. If you already had it plugged in, then start over because order matters!
Wait up to a minute for your computer to recognize the new drive(s).
In eePskye, click the Burn menu and choose Flash Firmware to Tx. Choose the ersky9x9XT_rom.bin file you download from www.er9x.com. That should successfully update your 9Xtreme's firmware.
If you wish to update the firmware but do not want, or are unable, to perform the "pinch" method above then this is an alternative method but it uses different software and these steps assume you're using Windows:
Download and install STMicro's DfuSe software from the bottom of this linked page. Run the application.
In the software there is a box labeled, "Available DFU Devices" and inside that box should be nothing.
Plug the USB cable into the 9Xtreme and "STM Device in DFU Mode" should appear in the aforementioned box.
Right-click and save the following 9Xtreme (Rev 218) dfu file to your computer: LINK
In the section labelled "Upload Action" there is a button marked "Choose...". Select the file you downloaded in the previous step and choose "Upgrade". There will be a warning about not being able to confirm if this is the correct file while in DFU mode, which you'll have to ignore to continue.

jhsa

Re: 9xtreme burn new firmware

Post by jhsa »

When it tells you it has no firmware, it means that you don't have a folder called firmware on your SD Card with a valid update firmware (.bin file) inside.
Go to er9x.com and download the latest firmware for the 9XT radio.
Access your radio's sd card from the computer.
For that turn your radio ON while holding both horizontal trims inwards. The display will show the bootloader version and "No firmware". Now connect your radio to the PC via USB. Two drives should appear on the screen. One of them is the SD Card. The other one with 2 files on it leave it alone.
Create a folder on your sd card drive and give it the name "firmware". Copy the firmware file you've downloaded from er9x.com, and paste it inside the folder you have just created.
Now safely eject the drives and disconnect the radio from the PC.
You should now have your downloaded firmware file displaying on the radio. Highlight it, press menu long to flash the firmware. You will have to confirm with menu again to flash the firmware. Wait until it is finished. Then press exit long a couple times and your radio should restart. Turn it OFF.
To update the bootloader, turn ON your radio while holding both horizontal trims OUTWARDS (away from the center), to enter "Maintenance mode". You should see a menu with several options. One of them is "Update Bootloader". Select it, and then select the same firmware file you have just used to flash your radio.
Hit menu long to update the bootloader. Wait till is finished and press exit long a couple times to go to the main maitenance menu or to restart the radio.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
PAheliguy

Post by PAheliguy »

João,
Worked exactly like you wrote it!
You sir are a savior! just the type of idiot leading instructions that I needed. :)
looks like those other directions left out the part to save it to the memory card.

bootloader says: v1.8 ready then lists the xt_rom.bin file
radio says: SVN: ersky9x-r218
Guess those are the latest safe versions. I was watching the video's that you have on youtube!
you have a v2.0 vervion or something newer.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5nd9 ... nd3S4InLpw
I am not threw the series yet, but trying to watch them all and get my head around it this time. was never proficient at eepe.

Now I can delete that damn STMicro's DfuSe software off my computer. :)

so, I was able to rewrite one of my simple models, but is there a better way to transfer all my models over to eepskye from eepe?
I need to learn the new program, but I get lost easily. its also not easy to find other peoples models that they have shared. I have a few micro heli's 3 quads and a DLG to figure out.

David.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll assume you have read your models from the 9X using eepe. If so use eepskye to read the EEPROM from the 9Xtreme. Now also run eepe and open your backup from the 9X. All you then need to do is drag and drop each model from the eepe window to the eepskye window. Afterwards, do check the conversion has taken place correctly, then write the EEPROM back to the 9Xtreme board from eepskye.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Due to differences between er9x and ersky9x, you can expect some settings not to be correct.. You need to review the settings completely. Please take special attention to settings that affect the throttle channel.. As always, REMOVE PROPS AND ROTORS from your models..

Sometimes, Mike post test versions for ersky9x here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676

I always run the test versions on my radios, that is why you have seen a more recent bootloader version. I think it is at 2.1 now :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

PAheliguy

Post by PAheliguy »

Mike & João , Yes I was using the eepe with the er9x so I have a few models saved.
I have just transferred 20 models using the drag and drop, (lots of duplicate test versions that I had..) over to eepskye and I am going threw the programs to see how they worked.
before that I was manually opening both eep's side by side and manually coping each settings tabs page. I did this first with a small program for a micro quad (nano QX with 3 rates programed +the mode on trainer) easy program with nothing tricky, but couldn't get it to bind. played with protocols and turned out that I had a loose receiver antenna wire that needed resoldering, was almost at breaking point thinking I didn't have the proper versions, or was doing something extremely stupid, witch is very possible.

Thanks guys for all the help!
I'm looking forward to getting the voice working, I have downloaded the files to my memory card and it talks to me on start up. COOL!
I'll watch João's videos on voice and see if I can figure it out.

João, May I ask of a video or suggest a new tutorial video on one complete model from start to finish of your choice. start with a simple model and then complicate the hell out of it with all sorts of function switches and voice stuff so we can learn all your tricks. :) I haven't seen anyone post one like that. The display model in the corner is so helpful. I know Richard Mrázek on YouTube did something similar with the old 9x program, but most of it wasn't in English :( good guy Richard is.

David.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I guess that is a good idea for the cold winter ;) :)
But i normally use my models connected directly to the PC and eepskye when I program them.. yes it is possible ;) :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “eepSKYe”