Building eepSKYe on linux; fixes included

eepSKYe is the desktop too for flashing and managing your sky9x firmware.
insensitiveclod

Building eepSKYe on linux; fixes included

Post by insensitiveclod »

Hey guys,

I'm a recent owner of an 9XR pro and have been trying to get all the tools 'n stuff running on my platform of choice: Ubuntu/debian linux.

It's been a bit of a wild ride, trying to figure out where to find the right things due to the fact that the EEPE and EEPSKYe tools are part of the same google-code page and the documentation is geared, primarily, to EEPE on the homepage of that project.

Having said that; with a bit of work I got it all to work and do the right things.

In the process, I've fixed a number of issues regarding building the eepSKYe tool, both in the sense of fixing some broken code, as well as doing GUI-cleanup to prevent labels from being broken off and ending up hard to read/understand.

I've submitted issues in the issue-tracker for the googlecode project, but it's obviously taking a while before they get integrated.
So, without further ado: to build eepskye for Linux, you can follow the 'linux build instructions' as found on the google-code page: https://code.google.com/p/eepe/ , except go into the src/eepskye/src/ directory and run 'qmake eepskyelinux.pro' and 'make' after ensuring that you have the right dependencies installed as listed there.

However, you need the fixed 'eepskyelinux.pro' as found for download in issue 145 on https://code.google.com/p/eepe/issues/list and added as attachment to this post.

This will allow you to run a build on Linux.

Issue 146 and 147 fix a number of other GUI-related issues and can be downloaded from the issue-tracker.
Apply patches by:
- Go into /src/eepskye/src/
- run 'patch -p0 < somepatchfile.patch' for each patch file
- qmake clean
- qmake eepskyelinux.pro
- make
- enjoy

Future work will , likely, include a /debian/build file for automatic debian/ubuntu package building as well as further GUI-rework.
Enjoy!
Attachments
eepskyelinux.pro.txt
Rename this file to 'eepskyelinux.pro'
(2.21 KiB) Downloaded 387 times

insensitiveclod

Re: Building eepSKYe on linux; fixes included

Sorry to the mods for having posted this topic twice. My bad; wasnt trying to be a dick ;~
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think you should now be able to use eepskye.pro rather than eepskyelinux.pro. I made an effort to get it to be common to Windows, Linux and Mac.
I run a copy of lubuntu in a VirtualBox to build eepe and eepskye for linux, this is the "bash" command file I use to build and package both eepe and eepskye:
doLmake.zip
(1015 Bytes) Downloaded 263 times
I normally release both together as they are in a single Windows install file.

I'll have a look the patches you have, I afraid I haven't been following the issues on the googlecode page due to too many other things to do!

I have a number of changes pending due to adding compatibility for recent changes to ersky9x.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
insensitiveclod

Ack. I see now that I got misled by the existence of the 'eepskyelinux.pro' file that it had to be the right .pro file for linux-users to use.
Very nice to see that the functionality for all/both platforms are put together in one project-file.

On the linux-builds for .deb's, I checked your script. That's another approach to the same.
The situation for eepskye is a bit complicated/messy at the moment in the sense that it's a subdir without any further docs, explanation or other info about what's different with it. There is (afaik) not even a mention of the existence, usage or particularities involved with eepskye currently in the root-dir of the eepe source-tree. Nor is the google-code homepage for the project very clear on where to find the eepskye build. You get pointed to it from several places (manuals of the 9xrpro, the hobbyking site, etc), but it takes a while before you understand the difference between EEPE and EEPSKYE.
I wasnt a user of a 9x(r) before, so it took me a while to figure it out ;)

As such, what I'm saying with a lot of words, is that I'd like to help out in any way that I could be of use in cleanup of the project and/or project by supplying patches and/or docs.

Next to that, I'm working on the dutch translation files.
Thanks for all the work that's been put into it! It's clear that it's a quite capable and comprehensive project; hardware, firmware and companion software. It is greatly appreciated and admired.
(relatedly, I'm an owner of a MAVlink-based device and a 9xrPRO, so i'll be able to check an issue reported in the firmware-project forum involving exporting MAVlink data via bluetooth).

--
Insensitiveclod
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you are interested in adding Dutch to the available languages on ersky9x, let me know.

In some ways I'd like to have just one program for eepe/eepskye, but it is currently a lot of work to merge them. I've made a small number of files common so far.

I'm finding "modeledit" rather large and complex. I'm thinking the approach used on the mixer tab may be a better way to do things. That is, the tab shows a list of items, and you double click to take you to a dialog to actually edit on of them. I think the code would become smaller and easier to maintain.

I'm still getting to grips with QTCreator myself, so I'm still learning how to set things up in it. Erazz set it up originally, on Linux, cross compiling for all targets, unfortunately I can't cross compile from my Windows configuration.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

insensitiveclod

Perhaps I can set up an easy buildbox on a virtual machine that you might be able to prepare builds for and have it simply poop out compiled binaries (32/64 win/linux, debian32/64 and perhaps a mac-build if that's within the possibilities).

I've done a similar thing for blender3d (3d software) and SpringRTS (open source realtime strategy game) in the past.
I can certainly do this for linux 32/64 tar.gz/debian ; i have no direct experience with compiling for windows, but i'm sure it can't be too hard.

I'll have a go at it somewhere around the weekend. Will keep you posted.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just starting to look at your patches. I'm looking at reviewOutput.ui first. You have made the check box much wider for the text. On Windows, the text fits well within the original space. I'm wondering if there is a font problem between Windows and Linux. The font, on Windows, for this check box text is MS Shell Dlg 2,8, which is in 8 point.

I just ran eepskye up in my linux virtual box and there I see the text doesn't fit.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In my VirtualBox, running QTCreator, I see the font for most of the text is coming up as "Ubuntu" 11 point. This is clearly different from that on Windows which is using an 8 point font.
I'll have a 'play' and see if I can find a font that is more common between the two.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “eepSKYe”