TEK sensors

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

frater

TEK sensors

Post by frater »

I recently ordered some barometer sensors which I want to use in combination with an OpenXsensor that has a GY-86 with barometer.
All this time I've been thinking on which model I should put this.
I didn't want to make a hole in the fuselage of one of my DLG's. It ruins a bit of the aerodynamics and I also think it looks a bit scary...

But....
Today I had a little accident with 1 of my DLG's on which the elevator servo somehow decided to make a new centre.....
I unplugged/plugged the servo connector and it went normal....

The DLG was thrown by someone else but it went straight into the ground.
It's fuselage now has a broken kevlar nose....
I can repair that, but it also makes it a good opportunity to modify it with a pitot tube.

I now want to minimize the disturbance it creates by making it stick out as little as possible.
How much is that?
Its nose is already a bit flattened. Should I make it stick out in the middle or a bit higher?

Anyone has tips concerning the safety?
Last edited by frater on Sun May 29, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carbo

Re: TEK sensors

Post by Carbo »

There are two ways to realise a TEK-Variometer with oXs:
- pneumatic compensation with a "Braunschweiger Duese"
- electronic compensation with pitot tube and airspeedsensor

Both are problematic when used in a dlg. TEK makes most sense in fast flight. A normal vario would transmit permanent sinktones, even if you fly through a thermal, but the TEK-Vario will realise it, especially when the thermal only affects the airspeed and not VSpeed. With a dlg you will not have much advantage (only the start in a thermal is a situation, where it would help realizing it). Flying in usual dlg speed does not need TEK. You can not cover large areas in highspeed flying with a dlg.

But the main problem is the danger caused by the sensor in the nose, especially when you start the dlg, or when you try to catch it.

You will be happy with the oXs-vario without TEK inside the fuselage, easy to mount, nearly no weight. Piggyback with the RX is my favourite mount in the dlg.
frater

Post by frater »

I already have an OpenXsensor with barometer, IMU and GPS and I like it.
I'm currently making a new one.
I use a 4-pin micro-JST (1mm) connector for the GPS so I can always use it without it.

I was planning to use the 2nd option (electronic compensation), but I may just call it off.

The OpenXsensor I'm making now will be a universal one. I want to put the I2c on a connector so I can plug an extra sensor board in.
The sensor board I've soldered on the Arduino pro mini has its INT connected to the arduino for reasons I don't yet know.

Would an external airspeed sensor need this too?
If so, then I need to use a 5-pin connector for this.
But I think it's not needed. I Would like to know for sure...
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Airspeed needs SCL, SDA and power supply, 4 pins are good.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

frater wrote: The sensor board I've soldered on the Arduino pro mini has its INT connected to the arduino for reasons I don't yet know.
Because
- it says so :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

*  5 pins from the mpu6050 have to be connected to Arduino:
*       - MP6050 ground  <--->  Arduino ground
*       - MP6050 Vcc     <--->  Arduino Vcc
*       - MP6050 SDA     <--->  Arduino SDA = Arduino A4
*       - MP6050 SCL     <--->  Arduino SCL = Arduino A5
*       - MP6050 INT     <--->  Arduino INT0 = Arduino 2 OR Arduino INT1 = Arduino 3(do not use the same pin for another purpose like PPM!)
And it is only needed for that IMU. If you need more info, just http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mpu6050+int

frater

Post by frater »

Is there any standard pinout for i2c on a micro-JST out should I just connect it in a way in that I don't make any damage when i plug in the GPS-sensor accidentally?

I appreciate all the help I'm getting
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

I presume, if you have powersupply identical, there wont happen anything. Maybe mstrens can say it reliable?

I forgot to mention: If you prepare a PWM connection on your oXs, you can change with a free RX-channel between IMU and non IMU Vario and you can adjust sensitivity for the standard vario (IMU has fixed sensitivity). Another function is to reset the airspeedsensoroffset and to adjust compensation of the airspeed compensated vario. Best is to test this with your IMU-Vario, it is a cool feature.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

frater wrote:Is there any standard pinout for i2c on a micro-JST out should I just connect it in a way in that I don't make any damage when i plug in the GPS-sensor accidentally?

I appreciate all the help I'm getting
I have labels on my oXS sensors, so I know, what is where ..
screenshot #11.png
A combination of two oXs sensors. One vario with addtitional gps and one current/voltage
screenshot #10.png

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”