Ardupilot Arduplane Air Speed meter/ Sensor/ Gauge with Differential Pitot Tube

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

frater

Ardupilot Arduplane Air Speed meter/ Sensor/ Gauge with Differential Pitot Tube

Post by frater »

For a while I have this in my Aliexpress cart

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ardupilo ... 261.M9GCjv

I never bought it because I don't know which model I can put it on, nor am I sure it can be easily implemented in OpenXsensor.
I've already made 2 sensors with barometer, IMU and GPS and I now want to expand on that with current & voltage (VFAS).
I still have to learn a lot there.

Most barometers with tubes are more expensive (> $ 50,-).
This one is $ 23,-, but that's still too much if it isn't any good.

Anyone here that can give me some advice?

mstrens

Re: Ardupilot Arduplane Air Speed meter/ Sensor/ Gauge with Differential Pitot Tube

Post by mstrens »

This is an analog sensor.
It is not supported by oXs as airspeed sensor.

oXs code is written for one specific differential pressure sensor which is a digital one.

Still, it would be possible to adapt oXs in order to calculate the airspeed based on the voltage provided by this analog sensor.
I have no idea how accurate this airspeed will be.

Note : I expect that with this analog sensor it will not be possible to make a (accurate) compensated vario.
Compensated vario was in fact the initial goal adding an airspeed sensor to oXs and that is the rreason why we selected a very accurate digital differential pressure sensor.
frater

Re: Ardupilot Arduplane Air Speed meter/ Sensor/ Gauge with Differential Pitot Tube

Post by frater »

Thanks mstrens... I have enough difficulties to overcome as is, so I'm not ready yet to wander in uncharted territory yet..

What would you recommend? Modify an ordinary i2c barometer with a tube?
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

If you just want a compensated vario, the easier is probably to use an ordinary I2C barosensor (with MS5611 so with GY63 or GY82) and to connect the baro sensor to a TEK probe.
It will make a pneumatically compensated vario.

There is some info on this forum about:
- how to build a TEK probe
- how to connect the baro sensor to the probe in order to get the "compensated" pressure instead of the static pressure

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”