GY-63 voltage regulator replacement

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

Valerioa

GY-63 voltage regulator replacement

Post by Valerioa »

Hi all,
I am building an openXsensor and I have probably burned the GY-63 voltage regulator, so I am looking for a replacement.
with some researches it seems that the one in my board is a me6211, someone can confirm that it's the 3.3v version???
it seems not so easy to find it, there are more common replacements??
Thanks in advance!

mstrens

Re: GY-63 voltage regulator replacement

Post by mstrens »

My GY-63 has a voltage regulator marked with KB33.
You can find the datasheet with google.

Are you sure that MS5611 is still OK? Otherwise, it is perhaps better to buy directly a new GY-63.
Valerioa

Post by Valerioa »

yes I think it's the regulator, as providing 5 volt from the board's vcc shows the 5v on the regulator's in but not the 3.3v in the Vout, and with the 3.3v provided externally to the regulator's Vout the status led lights up! I have yet bought a new GY-63, but if I could fix the broken one for only a few cents I can make two openXsensors!
Your KB33 is a MIC5205-3.3YM5, it's available from farnell for around 0,44€... but with 9€ of shipping costs it's cheaper to get the GY-63...
It's available on ebay too from a Spanish seller, around 3€ shipped... a bit cheaper but about 10x the real cost of the part (0,44).

do you think I can try to test the sensor bypassing the regulator and providing 3.3V directly at the Vout of the regulator?
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Hi Valerioa.

I am using several MS5611 sensors.
1223.jpg
Here you can see a GY-63 and one sensor from DROTEK 3.3V and one from Embedded Adventures (also 3.3V) both 3.3V sensors don't have a level shifter but work fine when connected to my arduino uno (which has a 3.3V supply). Only 1 capacitor and 2 resistors on both boards (pullup 10k)

The circuit diagram of the GY-63 looks a bit different ...
GY63.jpg
br KH
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

If your Arduino runs with 5 volt, I presume you will also have to provide the 5 volt Vcc (on the input side) to let the level shifters work as expected.
You can supply directly 3.3 v at the output of voltage regulator (take care not to provide more that 3.3 volt) but it would even be safier if you completely remove the defect voltage regulator.

If you Arduino runs with 3.3 volt, you could remove the GY-63 voltage regulator and connect the in and out pins.

The drawback that you could have providing the 3.3v from an external device is that there could be some more noise on MS5611 Vcc and so perhaps less accurate Vspeed.

If you can run your Arduino under 3.3 volt instead of 5 volt, then you

Note: If you look on ebay, can't you find other (cheaper) 3.3 voltage regulators. As long as they have the same size and the same pin out, I presume it should work.
If you can run your Arduino under 3.3 volt instead of 5 volt, then you

Valerioa

Post by Valerioa »

thanks for the support... I will probably try a local store today, but I don't think they have smd components... I will keep searching on ebay for a replacement at a reasonable price!

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”