Hardware Compatibility of ATmega32HVB

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

rszasz

Hardware Compatibility of ATmega32HVB

Post by rszasz »

I know the OpenXSensor project is based around the arduino platform, but can someone familiar with the hardware requirements respond with if the ATmega32HVB http://www.atmel.com/devices/ATMEGA32HVB.aspx , or any of the other battery managment MCUs are compatible with generating the signals for S.Port and/or Hub? This little chip looks like it would make a nice 2-4 cell logger/safety monitor/(dis)charge controller and switch. being able to use it for telemetry would just be an added bonus.

mstrens

Re: Hardware Compatibility of ATmega32HVB

Post by mstrens »

I think that 32HVB MCU has an architecture that is quite different from the AVR328P used in arduino pro mini (or nano).
So, for sure the code for OXS will not run on a 32HVB.

I expect that 32HVB could support S.port (if the UART interface is made by the program it self)
Note: in OXS, UART is also implemented by software because it was not possible to use the hardware UART without adding an external inverter.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It may well work, but it is limited to a maximum clock of 8MHz which may compromise the accuracy of the SPort baud rate.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

I think that some users have already build an OXS with an arduino pro mini running at 8 Mhz.
So I expect that a MCU running at 8mhz can support Sport protocol.
rszasz

Post by rszasz »

My end goal is to have the ability to charge over something like QI, and have the ability to turn all but a very low power supervisor off with some non contact method. I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum that I'm getting started in rc sailing, and as such being able to keep electronics encapsulated or in an otherwise sealed container will make a big difference in how long they will last.

Something I just thought of. I know a Vario is used to measure energy state of a glider, I wonder if it could be adapted to give some sort of windspeed reading, perhaps even a hint of direction changes on a model boat

mstrens

Post by mstrens »

The vario uses a baro sensor (MS5611). This sensor mesures the general atmospheric pressure and can't be used to mesure windspeed.
OpenXsensor can also measure the airspeed reading a 4525DO sensor. This sensor is a differential pressure sensor. It has to be connected to a Prandtl probe in order to get a differential pressure depending on airspeed. Still, even if this sensor is very sensitive it is not possible to measure low airspeeds. I would say that the range of measurement is between 40 and 400 km/h.
Furthermore the Prandtl probe has to be aligned with the wind.

So for your application, I think that you need another kind of sensor.
The most common solution seems to be a mechanical device (wind turbine) and to count the number of rotations per minute. If the rotation axis is vertical, you do not have to align the device with the wind.

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”