OpenXSensor... Triax?

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

OpenXSensor... Triax?

Post by Rob Thomson »

Frsky no longer seem to be selling these sensors.

Probably too little demand!

Just wondering how much effort it would be to make an openxsensor smart port version?

Rob

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

nigelsheffield

Re: OpenXSensor... Triax?

Post by nigelsheffield »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMU-MS5611-HM ... 4610ee9e0f

Can these sensors be used , I am considering making a open vario but saw these and wondered if it was worth getting , any code been written to use them at all?
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Currently OpenXsensor (= new name for openXvario) can read 1 or 2 baro sensor MS5611 in order to calculate altitude and vertical speed.
It can also read a pressure sensor 4525DO in order to calculate airspeed (and optionnaly dTE = electronically compensated vario)
It can also read some (up to 6) voltages and a current (when a current sensor is used which convert current in voltage)
It can also measure RPM when connected to a sensor that delivers pulses.

It can't currently read magnetometer, gyro, accelerometer sensors. Generally those sensors are used by fligth controlles. OpenXsensor is not a flight controller but only a device for telemetry.
I am not sure it makes lot of sense to back gyro, acceleration and compass to TX but if really useful, it should be possible to add some code to OpenXsensor to achieve it.

Please note that it seems that the device you found on ebay does not hat have a level converter (3.3 volt <> 5 volt) for the I2C signals. This could be an issue when using an arduino pro mini 5 volt.

For openXsensor, I think it is better to use a board GY63 which has a MS5611 and a level converter and is cheaper (on ebay)
nigelsheffield

Post by nigelsheffield »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-New-MS561 ... 5af565b0f8

I ordered this and a arduino nano with the USB, is this correct?

You are right about the gyro sensors etc not being a useful function back to tx but sacre has shown quite a cool artificial horizon lua script on the taranis, if its a fairly easy thing to implement would be cool if not very useful lol.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

I can't open the link you provided but if I make my own search on ebay with the sametext, I get a device that seems OK.
Still I see that that the price is quite expensive compared to items from China.
If you look on ebay from chinese sellers, you can get the same module for about 8.5 $ (shipping cost included).
Delivery is usualy about 3 weeks.

I think that arduino nano with USB could work but I never use it. I prefer the Arduino pro mini because it is smaller (it does not have an internal USB).
It is also cheaper (cost is about 2 € on ebay in china delivery included).
The drawback of the pro mini is that it requires an additional device to program it. The device is a FTDI. It allows to connect the pro mini to a USB port from a pc. FTDI costs about 4 € (3€ without the USB cable if you already have one).
You need only one FTDI to program several arduino pro mini.

So you can get a oXs vario for about 10 € if you order the component from china.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

mstrens wrote: I think that arduino nano with USB could work but I never use it. I prefer the Arduino pro mini because it is smaller (it does not have an internal USB).
It is also cheaper (cost is about 2 € on ebay in china delivery included).
Not really cheaper.. have a look..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-mini-USB-Nano ... 2a47b0e850

This nano doesn't use an FTDI chip though.. uses the CH340G that works very well.. Drivers are also available, so no problem

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Indeed, I found the nano V3 at nearly the same price as the pro mini (just a few cent more).
The drawback(for OpenXsensor) is then only the fact thhat it is longer.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

mstrens wrote: Still I see that that the price is quite expensive compared to items from China.
If you look on ebay from chinese sellers, you can get the same module for about 8.5 $ (shipping cost included).
5,68 British pounds = 8,63 U.S. dollars

Difference is ~13 cents. That is not big :lol:
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

For you information, I see the nano even cheaper : 2.09 €.
The pro mini remains still a few cents less : 1.93 € is the minimum on ebay.
I agree that difference is not big.
nigelsheffield

Post by nigelsheffield »

I got the nano cause I don't yet have ftdi and it will be going a large glider so a few mm won't make much difference there, in total I paid £7 odd for sensor and arduino, if it is as good or better then the frsky high precision vario then great, plus I get to play around with some programming and maybe add other stuff like the cell voltages.
I have 3 high repceision varios and one normal, the normal funily enough has a better sensor in it 5611 and alt is spot on but vario tones are terrible, high precision one is OK though but I like sound of the openxsensor better!
Just gotta wait for it all to come now.
nigelsheffield

Post by nigelsheffield »

Quick uipdate , Just built my vario with nano, it was very easy once I understood that was needed.
Results were easily as good as the high precision various from frsky.
£7.50 total cost plus my time!
Won't be buying any more frsky ones ....

Thanks for your help guys!
If any of you are dlg flyers with a taranis check out my dlg launch height lua i just updated it to comensate for vario drift based on some info someone passed on about the openxsensor doing a similar thing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=86
Off subject here so I won't say anymore just my way of saying thanks.

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”