New vario sounds on next release of openTX

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

mstrens

New vario sounds on next release of openTX

Post by mstrens »

Bertrand has worked a lot to provide us a better support of the vario (and his sound)
There are many changes foreseen:
1) The panel Radio setup will allow you to define 3 parameters more.
- The first is the pitch at VSpd = 0 m/s : value can be set from 300 hz up to 1100 hz
- The second is the pitch at max Vspd (max is value defined per model on the telemetry panel) : value can be set from 700 hz up to 2900 hz (but is always higher than first parameter)
- The third parameter defines how often the interrupted beeps (= when non sinking to much) would be repeated. It is a duration in millisec in the range 200 (=5 beeps per sec) up to 1000 (= 1 beep per sec).
This parameter applies when VSpd is 0 m/s; while VSpd increases, frequency of repeat increase too (the duration automatically reduces) . At max VSpd, duration will be around 80msec (= 12.5 beeps per sec = nearly a continuous tone).

2) Some fields will be added to telemetry
- ASpd = air speed
- dTE = variation of total energy (for the vario that can take variations of air speed)

When setting up a vario in telemetry panel (per model), it will be possible to select dTE as source (instead of VSpd, A1, A2, ...)

As wel VSpd as dTE will be added in the list of values allowed in customs switch (e.g. to mute the vario for some values of VSpd) and customs functions (e.g. to play those values).

3) In the telemetry panels, the 4 parameters (min, center min, center max and max) remains but there are used slightly differently to generate sounds.
Here are the cases depending on VSpd (or dTE):
- lower than min : continuous tone at 150 Hz (this is quite low but some harmonics have been added on ARM TX to keep sound quite nice over the whole range). More energy in it to keep a good volume level
- between min and center min (= sinking = move to another aera) : continuous tone; pitch varies linearly from 150 hz to the first parameter from general setup.
- between center min and center max (= light lift = zone to explore when you really need some lift ): an interrupted tone is generated (currently it was not the case). When VSpd increases, pitch increases and beeps are repeated more often (at 0 m/s the beeps are repeated based on the third parameter from general set up). Please note that ratio tone/silent varies too but from 85% tone at center min, to 60% at center up.
- between center max and max (= good lift): an interrupted tone is generated. When VSpd increases, pitch increases up to the value defined by the second parameter from general set up and beeps are repeated more often (up to 12,5 times / sec). The ratio tone/silent is fixed at 20% (tone). This allows to recognise the jump over center max (light lift <=> lift)
- above max : soud remains the same as at max.

For thermal gliding, typical values of the 4 param could be -3 -0.3 0 3. For other type of fligth, adapt freely according your preferences.

Please note that there is no dead band (=silent) any more.
Still, if you prefer avoiding sound in some range of VSpd, it is possible to use a custom switch.
E.g you could use a 3 states switch:
- vario off
- no sound when VSpd/dTE is lower than X (or when VSpd/dTE is between X and Y = you are not looking at light sinking and light lift); It is then even possible to change X and Y during flight using a pot or a switch.
- vario always on.

For uniformity reason, the option OFF (to mute sound when sinking) in telemetry panel disappears; use a custom switch instead.

Tests:
You will find in attachment 3 videos based on 3 different set up in general set up.
Set up are :
- Low = 300 hz at 0m/sec , 600 hz at max , repeat every 1000 msec (1 X/sec) at 0m/sec
- Medium = 500 hz at 0m/sec , 1000 hz at max , repeat every 500 msec (2 X/sec) at 0m/sec
- High = 700 hz at 0m/sec , 2000 hz at max , repeat every 330 msec (3 X/sec) at 0m/sec

They are done simulating the sound based on the position on the elevator stick.
You can see/read the position of the stick on the video in order to identify the situation.
All videos use a telemetry setting "-10 -2 2 10" (those are dummy values for this test).
100% on stick = 10 m/sec.
It means that
- sinking => stick between -100 and -20 (continous tone)
- light lift => stick between - 20 and 20 (interrupted tone, around 70 % tone, 30% silent)
- good lift = stick between 20 and 100 (interrupted tone, 20 % tone, 80% silent)

Please feel free to comment.
Attachments
VID_20140218_High.mp4
Video for High settings
(4.42 MiB) Downloaded 7351 times
VID_20140218_Medium.mp4
Video for Medium settings
(5.32 MiB) Downloaded 7323 times
VID_20140218_Low.mp4
Video for Low settings
(5.03 MiB) Downloaded 7303 times

mstrens

Re: New vario sounds on next release of openTX

Post by mstrens »

The developper will add this possibilty too:
it will be possible to have a background music mixed with the vario. We currently run at 120MHz instead of 60MHz, we will use this CPU :)
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I hope that OpenTX users will stop go down the slope to search a glider ;)
RaptorSense

Post by RaptorSense »

Wow, it sounds really nice. I can’t wait to see/hear it in action.
And, not only the airspeed but also dTE added… :shock: :D :D :D
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

dTE has been added as a source to the vario. Somebody promised a sensor to test it ;)

RaptorSense

Post by RaptorSense »

mstrens wrote:The developper will add this possibilty too:
it will be possible to have a background music mixed with the vario. We currently run at 120MHz instead of 60MHz, we will use this CPU :)
Then, music can also be used for the vario sound. Ideal for driving the bystanders crazy :twisted:

Just an experiment...
[BBvideo]https://vimeo.com/87049608[/BBvideo]
Btw., tapping the left side switces the audio used, right side is for the scaling and mid part is for the silent zone (dead band).
Tempo

Post by Tempo »

@mstrens
Thank you for giving my informations to "bsongis" and for your comments on it.

@bertrand35
Thank you for extension of code for Taranis-variometer-sound and new features like display of dTE or true airspeed on Taranis.

@RaptorSense
Thank you for giving informations on this project:
http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/zwe ... vario.html

=======================================================================================================================
My request is a sound like this:
" http://wstech.de/ --> Variometerkunde --> Hier ein Beispiel für den wsTech-typischen 3-Ton Klang "
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

I made an analysis of wstech sounds for different Vspd using Audacity software.
The result is in attachment
It is clear that there is a huge difference in the harmonics spectrum between sinking and rising.
It seems that when sinking, mainly the fundamental is present, while when sinking, the frequencies around 200/800 remain the main one even if fundamental goes down.
I imagine that it is not possible to reproduce easily this within opentx.

If I look at the distribution around 200 - 300 hz (normal vario sound), I imagine that an approximation could be applying the same db for the fundamental , the harmonic 3 and harmonic 5. Perhaps adding an harmonic 5 with less db (?)
For very low pitch, fundamental is still to big but for high pitch, hamonics are to big. So this is a compromise.

What do you think about this proposal?
Please react quite quickly because Bertrand is waiting for closing this issue (new release expected soon I gess).

Note : Bertrand already apply some correction at very low speed in order to keep/increase the volume and this seems me quite good.
Attachments
Analysis of wtech.docx
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 413 times
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Maybe our quality speaker makes the harmonics itselve ;-) ?

I made two interrupted sine signals, one with some attack and release time and one without, i think one is less irritating, when you (hopefully) hear it for a longer time. Dont know, if this is possible at all, but i think, it could be a improvement.

envelope.JPG
Attachments
rise2_soft.wav
(800.05 KiB) Downloaded 7017 times
rise2_hard.wav
(627.21 KiB) Downloaded 7014 times
mstrens

Demo firmware about new vario features in openTX.

Post by mstrens »

The way the vario is handle on OpenTx has been adapted in order to increase the satisfaction of the users.

The openTx developer would like to get your feed back on those changes.
Please put your comments on this thread.

In order to let you test those changes, you can download the demo firmware in attachment (to unzip before installation on Taranis TX).
Please take care that:
- this version is SPECIFIC for a TARANIS Tx (don't upload it on other kind of TX)
- this version is only intended to let you test the new set up and tones of the vario.
- it contains other changes (not vario related) that are not 100% stable.
- DO NOT USE this version for flying, remote control of a model...
- this version changes automatically your EEPROM in such a way that it will NOT WORK anymore with a previous firmware. So before installing this version, you MUST make a BACKUP of your current EEPROM. When you will reinstall you current firmware, you will have to reinstall this EEPROM backup.
- if you are not confident with backup and installing new firmware, we recommend that you do not test this version.

If you decide to test this version, here the changes that you will discover:
1) The panel RADIO SETUP (common for all models; long press on "MENU") allows you to define 3 new parameters under "Variometer".
- Pitch at Zero = pitch (Hz) of the vario when the Vspd (or dTE) is equal to the value set as "center min" in the telemetry panel; value can be set from 300 hz up to 1100 hz
- Pitch at Max = pitch (Hz) of the vario when the Vspd (or dTE) is equal to the value set as "Max" in the telemetry panel; value can be set from 700 hz up to 2900 hz (but being higher than Pitch at Zero)
- Repeat at Zero = the delay (in millisec) between 2 beeps (note : Tx vario generates interrupted tones when the Vspd (or dTE) is equal to the value set as "center min" in the telemetry panel); value can be set from 200 (=5 beeps per sec) up to 1000 (= 1 beep per sec).
This delay applies when Vspd (or dTE) is equal to the value set as "center min" in the telemetry panel; while VSpd(/dTE) increases, delay of repeat automatically decreases and at max VSpd, duration will be around 80msec (= 12.5 beeps per sec = nearly a continuous tone).

2) Some fields are added to telemetry
- ASpd = air speed
- dTE = variation of total energy (for the vario's that can integrate variations of air speed in their calculation and transmit it)

When setting up a vario in telemetry panel (per model), it is possible to select dTE as source (on top of VSpd, A1, A2, ...)

As wel VSpd as dTE will be added to the list of values allowed:
- in customs switch e.g. to mute the vario for some values of VSpd
- in customs functions e.g. to play those values.

3) In the telemetry panels, the 4 parameters (min, center min, center max and max) remains but there are used slightly differently to generate sounds.
Note : for thermal glider use (primary use of a vario), it is recommended to set "center min" to a value around the sink rate of the glider in neutral air.

Here are the cases depending on VSpd (or dTE):
- lower than min : continuous tone at 50% of "Pitch at Zero" (this can be as low as 150 Hz but some harmonics have been added on ARM TX to keep sound quite nice and strong over the whole range).
- between min and center min (= sinking = move to another aera) : continuous tone; pitch varies linearly from 50% up to 100% of Pitch at Zero.
- between center min and center max (= light lift = zone to explore when you really need some lift ): an interrupted tone is generated (currently it was not the case). When VSpd increases, pitch increases and beeps are repeated more often. Please note the the beeps seem "long" because the ratio tone/silent varies from 85% tone (at center min), to 60% (at center max).
- between center max and max (= good lift): an interrupted tone is generated. When VSpd increases, pitch increases up "Pitch at Max" and beeps are repeated more often (up to 12,5 times / sec). The beeps seem short because the ratio tone/silent is fixed at 20% tone(80% silent). This allows to recognise the jump over center max (light lift <=> lift)
- above max : soud remains the same as at max.

For thermal gliding, typical values of the 4 param could be -3 -0.3 0 3. For other type of flight, adapt freely according your preferences.

Please note that there is no dead band (=silent) any more.
Still, if you prefer avoiding sound in some range of VSpd, it is easy to configure a custom switch.
E.g you could use a 3 states switch:
- vario off
- no sound when VSpd/dTE is lower than X (or when VSpd/dTE is between X and Y = you are not looking at light sinking and light lift); It is then even possible to change X and Y during flight using a pot or another switch.
- vario always on.

For uniformity reason, the option OFF (to mute sound when sinking) in telemetry panel disappears; use a custom switch instead.

4) You can play some music in the background at the same time you listen to the vario. Just use the custom function "BgMusic".

Note :
In order to test easily with this demo version, an extra feature has been (temporary) added:
The vario sounds can be generated in 2 ways:
- using telemetry Vspd sent by a vario connected to Rx (normal case); To activate this case, select "VSpd" , A1 or A2 (as usual) as source in the telemetry panel.
- using a Tx stick (normally the left stick - throttle or elevator) to simulate the Vertical speed. T activate this case, select "dTE" as source in the telemetry panel.
Then VSpd varies with stick position : -100% on stick simulates -10 m/s VSpd, 0% on stick simulates 0 m/s and +100% on stick simulates +10m/s.

Thanks for your comments.
Attachments
opentx_to_test_for_vario_13.rar
Firmware to test vario enhancements on Taranis
(226.63 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

My first impressions of the new vario with modified spekarer (2W ebay):

In summary I like it very much. Sounds very professional. :D

The details and my comments:

- The simulation of vertical speed by dTe doesn't work if no receiver is connected. Just a reminder to other users.
- After burning test firmware, remember to calibrate sticks, as new firmare discards old calibration!

- even with WAV volume above medium and vario volume all the way down I find vario sound too loud compared to normal voice announcements.

- I like many configuration options, and I think it covers all cases. My preferred setup after couple of minutes fiddling is:
pitch @zero: 430Hz
pitch @max: 1050Hz
repeat @zero: 600ms

- I hear slight pops in speaker output when below center min (continuous tone), nothing critical, but it would be nice to get rid of them

Keep up the good work!
projectkk2glider@github
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

I just tried to shutdown the internal RF module and the pops disappeared, would you double check?
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Here a new version of the firmware in order to take care of the remarks made by dinamich last sunday.

In this version, volume and repartition between hamonics have be adjusted.

Sound should be less loud (compare to normal voice announcements) .

Rest of functionality remains unchanged.

Pops are not (yet?) solved but I think that you hear them less (because volume is reduced)

Note:
dinamich said :
"- The simulation of vertical speed by dTe doesn't work if no receiver is connected. Just a reminder to other users."
This is strange, because I do not have the same experience. I test it always without using a Rx.
Attachments
opentx_to_test_for_vario_15.rar
Firmware to test with reduced volume
(226.45 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

Tested new fw version 15.
bertrand35 wrote:I just tried to shutdown the internal RF module and the pops disappeared, would you double check?
Bertrand you were right, the majority of pops was due tu RF module. But I still get some pops if I wiggle the stick just below the centre (where we get long duraton tone pulses). You really have to work it some time, then the pops come. It is not very annoying, but if it can be fixed it would be perfect.
mstrens wrote: Note:
dinamich said :
"- The simulation of vertical speed by dTe doesn't work if no receiver is connected. Just a reminder to other users."
This is strange, because I do not have the same experience. I test it always without using a Rx.
Strange, but I had a problem, maybe it was because I did not jet calibrate sticks. Anyway it works now even with RF module turned off.

The new version has improved on sound level, with vario turned all the way down I can now clearly hear voice announcement. It is good enough for me. Somebody should test levels on original speaker as well, I can't.

My new favorite setup is:
pitch @zero: 300Hz
pitch @max: 2kHz
repeat @zero: 700ms
projectkk2glider@github
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Test with version 15: original speaker and headphone

Volume is good, ratio between voice and vario is fine and in a useful way adjustable. Distortion (clicking) is ok, when the volume is not too high.

In the transition between zero lift and lift seems to be a short break in sound, but i can get used to it, cause it means: good things are coming!

My setup:

Thermals can come now - in all humility: Big thx to all for that, especially bertrand, michel and rainer!
Bruneaux

Post by Bruneaux »

I see that there is new code to handle Air Speed.

May I ask what the SPORT Data ID will be so I can test things?

Bruneaux
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Bertrand should confirm but as far I know:
There is not yet a SPORT Data ID to handel Air Speed (and dTE).
A few days ago, I look for and I did not find them.
I gess that the code to map those SPORT data into some Tx data is still missing.
Aspd and dTE has been added in some drop lists (and probably as data inside the TX) but they can't be filled yet by telemetry.

If Bertrand confirm this, we could open an issue in order not to forget this task.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That's it, the menu selection is there as adding it requires changes in eeprom, so it was grouped with ongoing changes as to not require another conversion later. But there's no decoding as we don't know what to decode. It will make its way in when we receive the relevant info...
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Here is a flightvideo with a mix of the flightsound and the variosound of opentx 1.99 (20.04.2014) from yesterday. The wool thread should show up- and downwind, but the prop is even the better pointer. The thermals were rather narrow, as you can see, but the vario really helped a lot. I am happy with it, thanks a lot again, to all who worked on it.

This time i used the Frsky SPort HD Vario, next time the openxvario will be tested.

http://youtu.be/81LiJiOzXzg
davx

Post by davx »

Hi,

First of all, I didn't tried the vario function with any other firmware than 2.0.x because I just began using the Taranis. Before, I was using my own vario tones generator connected to a FrSky DJT with a home made vario plug in a FrSky D8R.

The vario settings in the General Edit / Setup tab are really useful and could be extended, more on that later ;)

My tests conditions:
- XperiencePro electric glider
- Analog vario plug in A2 of a D8R
- A2 selected in Vario source
- Default vario settings in General Edit
- Vario limits -> -5 -0.1 0.1 5

First observation: Very annoying continuous beeping in the zero range ! (at that time I didn't know about the new behavior of the central vario settings)
Otherwise, the sound was very good, although some glitches here and there, and a stepping effect when Vspeed was changing rapidly.

I have to say that I really don't get the point of the central beeps zone. I understand from my reading above that it can be used to differentiate low lift from high lift but isn't what a classic vario sound is for already ???

Classic vario:
- high sink --> low continuous tone
then proportionally to:
- low sink --> middle continuous tone
- zero (dead-band or not)
- low lift --> middle tone + low beeping frequency
then proportionally to:
- high lift --> high tone + high beeping frequency

So what can this central beeping zone add apart from complications and confusions ?
If it was of any use, no doubt that real variometers would have got this functionality...

I know I can skip this central zone behavior with the help of a couple logical switches but IMHO it is really convoluted for no interest...

Now, the settings that I ideally would need:

- high sink tone (not mandatory, can be, and I think already is, the best low pitch sound achievable)
- low sink tone (can be lift low tone)
- dead-band (but I can do it with LSs)
- low lift tone (already there)
- Beeping rate (I mean the time ratio between beep and silence) (not mandatory)
- Low beeping frequency (already there)
- high lift tone (already there)
- high beeping frequency (currently, it is too fast for me)

On a side note, I've found the vario sound a little too loud even in its lower setting.

I need to make further tests but I hope the weather will allow me to do so...

Tchao
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Making the same experience, i used the parameters -5, 0.0, 0.2, 5 and the continous beeping in neutral zone was gone and it was perfect for me.

Carbo
davx

Post by davx »

Yes, that's almost (-5 0 0 +5) what I will try next + a switch position with only positive beeps.

PS: Just for fun :mrgreen: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V530Mam_ ... e=youtu.be
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

When it beeps, you see the barn doors flying:-))
RaptorSense

Post by RaptorSense »

These are my logical switches and special functions for a silent zone and more.

Logical switches:

Code: Select all

L1 [a>x] [VSpd] [0.0]   [SD-]
L2 [a<x] [VSpd] [-0.5]   [SD-]
L3 [a<x] [[i3]Thr] [-98]   [SD-]
L4 [OR] [L1] [L2]   [L3]
L5 [OR] [L4] [SDv]   [---]
L6 [a>x] [RSSI Rx] [2]    [---]
L7 [a>x] [[i3]Thr] [-99]    [!SD^]
Special functions:

SF1 [L5] [Vario]
SF2 [ON] [Volume] [S2]
SF3 [!SHv] [Play Value] [Alt] [No repeat]
SF4 [!SHv] [Play Value] [AirSpeed] [No repeat]
SF5 [L6] [Start Logs] [0.5]
SF6 [L7] [Play Value] [Alt] [5s]
Cheers, Sinan
RaptorSense

Post by RaptorSense »

I am using the switch D for 3 vario sound modes:
SD^ Silent, no vario sound
SD- Vario sound on/off depending on the rate of sink/climb and the throttle
SDv On, vario sound always on

The vario sound is on [SF1]
      when the D switch is low (SDv) [L5] 
   OR when the D switch in the mid position (SD-) [L1][L2][L3]
       AND the throttle is idle [L3]
       AND the VSpd is lower than -0.5 [L1] 
                    OR higher than 0.0 [L2]

The radio reports the altitude every 5 seconds [SF5]
      when the throttle is on [L7]
       AND the switch D is not in silent position (!SD^) [L7]

Logging starts [SF5]
      when there is contact with the receiver [L6]

The altitude and the airspeed will be reported once [SF3][SF4]
      when the momentary switch H is flipped [SF3][SF4]

The audio volume level depends on the rotary (S2) [SF2]
Hmm, difficult to write it down in a natural language.

Sinan
davx

Post by davx »

@RaptorSense,
Thanks for your explanations, I had manage to understand your setup ;)

I know how to set a dead-band with LSs, it's very convenient but my point was that this central beeping zone isn't useful at all IMHO and that it was complicating setups unnecessarily.

Moreover, I could make good use of the extra settings I've described in my first post.

Tchao
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

I can only talk about the FrSky vario with the latest Frsky Firmware from end of Feb. 2014

This Vario is now very fine but have a noise about 0,0 with +/- 0,04 to +/- 0,07
Normaly Frsky should make aber better noise filtering, about 50-100ms more, but they don´t.

If you set the Vario at opentx for example to -3,0 -0,1 +0,1 +3
you hear allways pieps whis different tone, because there is no mean value calculation periodes at vario .cpp
So the sound is allwys changing at on period and howling (only round zero)

So if you want a good setting, and a short fine pieps about zero
you have to set like this -3 -0,2 -0,1 +3 (then you are outside of the noise gap!)
and you got what you like, a schort pieps with constant frequenz about zero
a very good resolution and a fast reaction of Vspd

I know this is not correct setting but wonderfull sound round zero

Think normaly at vario.cpp there must be a mean value calculation for 3 to 7 values of incomming vsped values

Helle
Last edited by Helle on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RaptorSense

Post by RaptorSense »

Hi Tchao,
I agree about the central beeping zone. For me, it’s tiresome to hear the constant beep when not much is happening. However, some of my colleagues prefer like it is now. Luckily, OpenTX gives enough options via the logical switches and special functions to adapt the behavior.

Setting a dead-zone could be simplified with a simple check box at the vario configuration. Something like this:

Variometer
 Source    [VSpd]
 Limits    [-5]  [-0.5]  [0.0]  [5]
           o Create silent zone   < ---- New

btw., my settings above has some additional steps in order to disable the vario sound and start altitude reports when the plane climbs on motor.
I have also a stall alarm (not mentioned above) based on airspeed. Unfortunately, I am not sure about the values for the warning and alarm thresholds. I will have the relevant data once the version 4.0.4 starts logging the airspeed.

Sinan
RaptorSense

Post by RaptorSense »

Helle wrote: Think normaly at vario.cpp there must be a mean value calculation for 3 to 7 values of incomming vsped values
Hi Helle,

Indeed, it would be nice to have some averaging as a post-processing option. Especially if the averaging factor becomes adjustable through one of the pots on the TX.

Sinan
RaptorSense

Post by RaptorSense »

There is a curious option in the companion (2.0.3) that's missing in the TX (Taranis).

Sink Max    Sink Min    Climb Min    Climb Max
Vario limits    -5         -0.5         0.0          5
                          o Off   <-- What is this? 

Once the option [Off] is set, it disables the Sink Min value. Any idea about the working of this option?
Sinan

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”