New vario sounds on next release of openTX

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

dinamich

Re: New vario sounds on next release of openTX

Post by dinamich »

RaptorSense wrote:There is a curious option in the companion (2.0.3) that's missing in the TX (Taranis).

Code: Select all

Sink Max    Sink Min    Climb Min    Climb Max
Vario limits    -5         -0.5         0.0          5
                          o Off   <-- What is this? 

Once the option [Off] is set, it disables the Sink Min value. Any idea about the working of this option?
Sinan
That is a left-over from previous version. It should not be there in Companion 2.0.
projectkk2glider@github

Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy ,

"off" is an error at companion

--------
Yes the allways jowling pieps at about zero is very bad

So I found a fine solution: setting mit range little less of zero

not this one -5 -0,3 0,0 +5

Much better is this one:
-5 -0,3 -0,1 +5

and all is as fine as with profi wstech vario

why this:
with -0,1 (instead of 0,0) you are less under the noise and thats the solution

Take your FrSky Vario on a table, listen and compare, you will aggree

Helle
Last edited by Helle on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davx

Post by davx »

RaptorSense wrote:Hi Tchao,
Hi Sinan (I hope it's your name :) ),

First, my name is David, "Tchao" is my way of saying bye, it comes from the italian ciao :mrgreen:
RaptorSense wrote: 
Setting a dead-zone could be simplified with a simple check box at the vario configuration. Something like this:

Code: Select all

Variometer
 Source    [VSpd]
 Limits    [-5]  [-0.5]  [0.0]  [5]
           o Create silent zone   < ---- New

Sinan
Yes, I think your check box solution is good especially as it is already existing in Companion as it was used to silent the vario sinking.
dinamich wrote:
That is a left-over from previous version. It should not be there in Companion 2.0.
...then it could be used for "removing central beep zone" ;)

Bye
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Again post a video, we find nothing wrong here. Of course having a narrow middle band will lead to a lot of sensitivity to noise, that's why there's an adjustment. Nothing says the center levels should be - 0.1 and +0.1.

Envoyé de mon SM-G900F en utilisant Tapatalk
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy Kilrah,

I am not at home, cant make a Video now. Tx and Vario at home.

Problem is not the code of vario.cpp itself for now.
Problem is the real signal noise from frsky, little noise at about zero

Openxsensor is much better, better filter intern, before transfer via telemetry

So my solution for me is to set the mit band less unter zero, than its fine.
and I have the same sound as with my other wstech varios

-5 -0,5 -0,1 +5,0

Hope can make a Video with good/bad sound tonight

zrobbie

Post by zrobbie »

Hi all,
I'm new and would like to learn more about Taranis varios sounds and specifically about the vario limits min, center min, center max, and max., in relationship to sail planes.
I see there have been no posts here since June so I'm wondering if the topic is being discussed in another forum. If so, please advise.
I'll be using a Taranis Plus 2.0.13, D8's, and HP vario, in a Radian, Radian Pro, and Cularis.
Thanks,
Robbie
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

since openTx V2.0, vario sounds have been implemented as explained in this post.
So this is valid for Taranis Plus 2.0.13 too.

Still, it seems that some people claims about the fact that you have to create some setting (with logical switches) if you want a dead zone (no tone when vertical speed is within a user define range).
An issue is open for this and it is planned to change the firmware in order to implement a dead zone in an easier way (and perhaps removing the special tone that openTx currently generates when vertical speed is between center min and center max).
As far I can see this change is planned for version 2.1.

Do you need more explanation?
zrobbie

Post by zrobbie »

Thank you, I somewhat understand. I've thoroughly read the 2 pages here but I'm not too sure what each setting does and how each affects the other. I was hoping that the topic continued with more input with people giving their setting and explaining why it's that way. I don't really expect someone to explain in full how the settings work, but maybe you can help to some degree. For example I was doing some testing today and didn't really understand what the different settings meant in relationship to the others. So let's say I was testing these three settings I used from the forum.

A) -5 -.3 -.1 5 So comparing A, B, & C, Center min is -.3, -.5, and -1 respectively. What effect does this difference produce?
B) -5 -.5 -.1 5 Likewise, comparing center max between B & C, what effect does the difference produce.
C) -5 -.1 -.2 5 Between the 3 of them, the difference between center min and center max, is significant: from .2 to .4 difference, what effect does that have?

D) -3 -.3, 0 3 These settings in D, are significantly different in many respects from the other 3: min and max are only 6 units apart, and the others are 10 units apart. Why?

What I would like is to have tones from very light lift to high lift, to be beeps that increase in pitch and frequency with increase Vspd. No other tones. This idea seems to work well from medium to high lift. Not so much in light lift.
I would like "no lift" +/- some small amount of Vspd to be silent or some non annoying tones.
As far as sink is concerned, I'd like that to be the inverse lift: More sink = decrease in pitch and beep frequency. No other tones.
I could likely figure out some logical switches to make it silent in no lift / no sink area.
Can your recommend a couple vario limits settings that would result in what I'd like, or at least close?
So are these questions easily answered? Have I gone too far in my request? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks, Robbie
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

I will try to explain:
First I take the set up A) -5 -.3 -.1 5
The 4 parameters allows to define in fact 3 ranges of vertical speed. Each of the ranges has a quite different type of sound
- when vertical speed is between -5 and -.3 (or less than -5), openTX will generate a continous tone
- when vertical speed is between -.3 and -.1, openTX will generate an interrupted tone (beep/silent) where the beeping is longer than the silent (= long beep).
- when vertical speed is between -.1 and 5, openTX will generate an interrupted tone (beep/silent) where the beeping is much shorter than the silent (= short beep).

The difference between the 3 different types of sound is very easy to recognise. So you recognise easily in which range of Vspeed you are.
Why having 3 ranges: it allows to make the difference between sinking, small lift, high lift
Now: how to set the values: in fact it depends only on your preferences but one logical way could be to set :
- center min on the vertical speed you get in total calm air. A typical value could be -0.6. In fact if you fly with a vertical speed = -.2(e.g.), it means that you get a small lift (and you are not in neutral air) even if you are still sinking compare to the ground).
- center max on 0; it means that the glider is rising compare to the ground. If you prefer to recognise clearly higher lift, you can set center max on a higher positive value like 0.5 or 1.

Up to now I only sproke about different type of tones. It is time to introduce the frequency too.
When vertical speed changes, the frequency changes too (in each of the 3 ranges).
First in the general setting (so not per model) you can set up the reference frequecy (fequency for Vspeed = 0) and the highest frequency (for "very" high lift). You can't set up the frequency for the "very big sinking" because it is automatically the "reference frequency" divided by 2.
Per model, you can set up Min and Max parameters. Those will have an impact on the frequency generated for some vertical speed.
Imagine first that your reference frequency is 1000 hz and that you use set up A) -5 -.3 -.1 5. Then
- when Vspeed = 0 , frequency will be 1000
- when Vspeed = -5, frequency will be 500 (1000/2)
- when Vspeed = -2, frequency will be 800 = 1000 - (500 * -2 / -5 )
If you use set up D) D) -3 -.3, 0 3, then the frequency will become
- when Vspeed = 0 , frequency will be 1000 (the same)
- when Vspeed = -5, frequency will be 500 (1000/2) (the same because it is lower than -3)
- when Vspeed = -2, frequency will be 666 = 1000 - (500 * -2 / -3 )
From this example, you can see that when Min becomes closier to 0, the same variation of Vspeed generates a higher difference of frequency. In some way, it becomes more sensitive.
The same principle applies for Max.

Now some comments about the "dead band".
Some users prefer having no vario sound at all (silent) when sinking and/or when around zero lift.
In version 2.0.13 you can't implement a dead zone using the 4 parameters we have seen but you can do it using logical switch.
If you want e.g. getting vario sound only when vertical speed is higher than 0.5, then you must define a logical switch that is on when Vspeed is > 0.5 and in customs function you will declare that vario is activate when logical switch in ON
If you want getting tone except when Vspeed is e.g. between -1 and +0.5, than you create a logical switch that is ON if Vspeed is < -1 or Vspeed is > 0.5. In customs function you will declare again that vario is activate when logical switch in ON
You can associate physical switches to your logical switch if you want defferent set up. You can even set the limits based on pot and/or Gvar.
This is very flexible.
Please note that the values for a dead band can but must not be equal to Center Min and Center Max.

It is difficult to recommend values for all those parameters because it really depends on your preference.

Please note that, normally every body uses a continous tone (or no tone) when sinking in oder to have a clear difference with the interrupted tone for climbing.
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

Very good explanation. Mstrens, please make sure this text is included into opentx documentation!
projectkk2glider@github
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

dinamich wrote:Very good explanation. Mstrens, please make sure this text is included into opentx documentation!
Probably better to wait a little because there are some expected changes for release 2.1 (see issue #1689)
cjapka

Post by cjapka »

Dear guys,

I am thinking about to buy DJT nmodule and Smartieparts telemetry board for my T9X (nowdays open9X).

Does anybody tried this configuration ...resp...is this type of audio vario working with t9x, or only with Taranis?

Thank you for answer. Ondrej
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The SmartieParts Telemetrez board is discontinued. You should be looking at their much more powerful 9Xtreme upgrade board.
http://smartieparts.com/shop/index.php? ... ex&cPath=3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”