OpenXSensor SPORT Interface

Development & General Chat for the superb openxvario project.

Moderator: rainer

mstrens

Re: OpenXSensor SPORT Interface

Post by mstrens »

@kalle123,

In order to safe time making the schema, perhaps I can explain because it is easy:

You draw a connection from the lower pin of R4 to the mid pin of R3. This connection may not exist.
Instead of it you need to add a connection between lower pin of R4 to the positive pin of cell1.
In this way negative pin of cell2 will also be directly connected to positive pin of cell1 (this is the internal connection that exist in a 2S lipo)

if this is unclear, do not hesitate to ask more explanation.

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

I understand your proposal, but I would like to use 2 separate 1S lipo batteries.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

kalle123 wrote:I understand your proposal, but I would like to use 2 separate 1S lipo batteries.
OK, then you schema can work for testing.
It will not allow you to use it to power on some device (because the current will be strongly limited by R4 - except if R4 is set on max).

Please note that A1 will measure the voltage between the ground and the mid pin of R4.
This voltage will be part of cell1 (depending on R3) + part of cell2 (depnding on R4).
It is probably what you expect.
hageha

Post by hageha »

I would do it this way
Attachments
K800_Voltage Divider OpenXsensor.JPG
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

@mstrens. It is ONLY supposed to be for testing.

@hageha. My aim is to have variable voltage for cell1 and cell2. It is only for testing here on a breadboard. OK. I'll chance those 2 k to 10 k resistors. My first circuit was faulty. Typically, when a guy with mechanical background tries to do something in electrics :D

mstrens

Post by mstrens »

kalle123 wrote:@mstrens. It is ONLY supposed to be for testing.

@hageha. My aim is to have variable voltage for cell1 and cell2. It is only for testing here on a breadboard. OK. I'll chance those 2 k to 10 k resistors. My first circuit was faulty. Typically, when a guy with mechanical background tries to do something in electrics :D
OK,
Do not forget that changing the schema has also an impact on the divider factor.
You should now use a divider factor = 2.
You will have to measure with your voltmeter between ground and the mid point of R4 when you calibrate voltage 2.
hageha

Post by hageha »

o.k. I've assumed that you wanted to build an OpenXsensor!
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

@hageha.

I have an OXS here! Might look a bit different than what you are thinking off, but it is definitely an OXS ... :D

(Yes, there is a MS5611 and I always try to look a little behind things before heating the soldering iron.)

br KH
Attachments
DSCF3600.JPG
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I have been following this thread with interest trying to understand why you want to use pots, and even more important, why mixing pots with dividers. I asked myself why I would want to do that but couldn't find the answer. I think you should stick with HaGeHa's circuit he posted above. All the fine tuning Should be made on the oXs code and not using pots.. pots were used long time ago when we had to program the frsky modules themselves, but here I don't understand why using them.. it is making something so simple way too complicated ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

jhsa wrote:I asked myself why I would want to do that but couldn't find the answer.
João
Hi João.

... so I apply 2 voltages close to those values to End point
// - for first voltage, voltmeter gives 3510 millivolt and telemetry gives 533
// - for secong voltage, voltmeter gives 5900 millivolt and telemetry gives 904

therefor :) Any other proposal?

KH
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, use the dividers only as we all do, calculate the values to insert in the code as explained in the config.h file.
Or if you like, use the new oXs configurator, use the formula to calculate the divider ratio, and generate tye config.h file. Couldn't be easier. Using potentiometers will only complicate things, and also For example the values could change with time.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

jhsa wrote: Using potentiometers will only complicate things, and also For example the values could change with time.
Yes, you are right with that! Threw those out and used battery boxes with different voltages. Works like expected when switching the boxes. Now I can switch on the soldering iron.

Desktop looks a mess, have to clean up ;)
Attachments
DSCF3601.JPG
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You should see my workbench ;) :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Fischi

Post by Fischi »

Hi!
I have set up an oxs as a pure voltagesensor to monitor each cell of my LiPo (3cells). I' ve set it up using the internal referencevoltage and three voltage dividers (10k/33k; 10k/68k; 10k/120k).
The oxs_config.h ist configuered to transmit VOLT1 -> T1, VOLT2 -> T2, VOLT3 -> RPM. After calibration i can read the proper values for each cell in T1, T2, RPM. Unfortunately my Taranis does not calculate CELLS properly. The shown cellvoltage (see attachment) is too high.
IMG_20140904_112756.jpg
IMG_20140904_112817.jpg
On the second telemetry-screen you can see that the voltage of the last cell ist calculated in an wrong way (-> 7V).

Do you have any ideas, where I messed it up? Here ist my config:
oxs_config.txt
(43.87 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

Best regards
Stefan
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Fischi wrote:Hi!
I have set up an oxs as a pure voltagesensor to monitor each cell of my LiPo (3cells). I' ve set it up using the internal referencevoltage and three voltage dividers (10k/33k; 10k/68k; 10k/120k).
The oxs_config.h ist configuered to transmit VOLT1 -> T1, VOLT2 -> T2, VOLT3 -> RPM. After calibration i can read the proper values for each cell in T1, T2, RPM. Unfortunately my Taranis does not calculate CELLS properly. The shown cellvoltage (see attachment) is too high.
IMG_20140904_112756.jpg
IMG_20140904_112817.jpg
On the second telemetry-screen you can see that the voltage of the last cell ist calculated in an wrong way (-> 7V).

Do you have any ideas, where I messed it up? Here ist my config:
oxs_config.txt

Best regards
Stefan
As you can see, it is not only the Cell3 that is wrong but also the total voltage Cells.
In fact the error is not in the Taranis but on OXS side in the value that you used for the mVoltPerStep (and probably the offset).

I presume that you calibrate VOLT3 sending the voltage on RPM.
In fact RPM is unfortunatly a bad choice for calibration because for this field, taranis applies some conversion on the values he get from OXS.
It means that what you read as RPM is not the value sent by OXS.

The best fields to be used to calibrate are Temp1 and Temp2 because for those fields, taranis does not apply any conversion.
The drawback of this is that you can't calibrate the 3 voltages in one step. You have first to upload in the arduino a configuration to calibrate Volt1 and Volt2 and in a second step Volt3.
An alternative is to use AccX, AccY and/or AccZ but here to taranis does not display exactly the value sent by OXS but the conversion is easier ( 1234 become 1.23).

FYI, if all components (arduino, resistors) where perfect the offsets should be 0 and thev alues to be loaded in mVoltPerStep can be calculated by
1100 * (R1 + R2) / R1 / 1023 .(R1 being the resistor connected to ground)
So for volt1 it should be 4.623655914 , for volt2 8.387096774 and for Volt3 13.97849462.
Your values are 5 , 9.14 , 27.89.
It is normal that the values to apply have some difference compared to the theoretical values but you can see that your third parameter is really out of range.

Note: the values that you put as offsets seem me quite big. Did you check for several voltages (as wel on volt 1 , on volt2 and on volt 3) that you get the right values on taranis sceen.
Best is to check with 2 lipo (a full loaded and a nearly empty)
Fischi

Post by Fischi »

Hi!
That makes sense!
I did not know, that the Taranis does some additional calculation for the Rpm-value.
When i arrive back home after my vacation, I will measure each of my resistors and calibrate the sensor according to these values.

Thanks, mstrens!
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Fischi wrote:Hi!

When i arrive back home after my vacation, I will measure each of my resistors and calibrate the sensor according to these values.
Please note that the best way to calibrate the sensor remains the way it is explained in the config.h file (using several measurements for different voltage in the full range that you want to cover - e.g. with a full loaded and an nearly empty lipo) .
Measuring the resistors with precision is good but not the best because you will find a theoritical value for the parameter which :
- does not allow to compensate (in part of the range) non linearity effect or ADC offset.
- does not allow to take care that there are tolerances (about 10 %) on the arduino internal voltage reference.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

I think, I finally made it!

With the help of you here and a special thank you to Fischi in German forum
fpv-community.de/showthread.php?50114-FrSky-Taranis-und-Variometer-openxvario-bzw-openxsensor/page12
3S Lipo in storage condition looking good
3S Lipo in storage condition looking good
The calibration (I would rather call it an adjustment ;) ) requests, that you have 2 voltages. Normally FULL and EMPTY. Could be the 4.2 V and 3.5 V (on safe side). This delta of 0.7 V is not much to have a graph. To have a wider delta, I was thinking of my circuits. I learned, that those circuits are faulty. :roll: (trim potentiometers and voltage divider were interfering!)

I tried another way. I disconnected the connection between Lipo and voltage divider one by one on the marked points and connected a regulated external DC source.
2.jpg
That gave a wider delta (1.2, 2.0 and 2.4 Volts), which should benefit the accuracy.

Did the calculation here in that sheet.
1.jpg
What is puzzling me is the high offset on S3, but it is on a breadboard and that also might give that deviation.

Please comment on that method (with external DC source) of adjustment.

br KH
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

Working with external DC source is a good solution.
Still, I see 2 issues:
- for S2, how can it be that you get a value 1040.
ADC return only a value between 0 and 1023.

Take care that when you make the calibration, you must put mv/step = 1 and Offset = 0; Otherwise the results can't be used for calibration.

- even if there are some tolerance on the components, it seems me that the offset on s3 is abnormal (o high). Best to check again the config and to make a new test.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

mstrens, thank you for your feedback.

Will check again ...
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

hageha wrote:After I built several openXsensors represents for me the following question:
Is it possible to build a sensor switchable for both systems, eg with a jumper? (XR-DR receiver)
In the future I want to avoid getting to reprogram and use a new heat shrink tubing
I have just the wrong sensor for the new receiver.

I made some changes in order to support the 2 Frsky (SPORT and HUB) protocols simultanously. At power on, OXS checks if it is connected to a X serie receiver. If yes, it activates automatically the SPORT protocol and otherwise the HUB protocol. So you can use the same OXS for both receivers without having to reload another firmware.
I also made many other changes (support airspeed sensor, compensated vavio, 2 baro sensor, new config file, some clean up of the code).
Please note that the configurator is not yet updated. So you have to edit the config.h file manually.

I uploaded this new version (named OpenXsensor_v2.0) on github.
You can find it on the new web site for openxsensor under downloads and tags at this link:
https://code.google.com/p/openxsensor/source/browse

This version contains quite many changes and I can't garantee that it is bug free. So if you get some issues, let me know and I will look for a solution.

FYI, I also designed 3 pcb boards (in eagle):
- one is a (nearly) full board that allows to solder an aispeedsensor (4525D0), 1 or 2 GY63 (baro sensor), resistors divider for 4S lipo, connectors to PPM, current/temperature sensor, a jumper to select Vcc. it is just 1 cm longer than arduino pro mini (and same width)
- a smaller one with only 1 resistor dividers for 3/4S lipo, a voltage regulator (to reduce the 3/4 s up to about 8 volt) , an easy connection to a GY63. When this PCB is put aside a GY63, it is just the size of an arduino pro mini.
- a pcb for a current sensor (using an ACS758) to be inserted between a male and a female T connectors.
Those pcb have not yet been ordered to a manufacter because I would like that some checks/validates them first.
If you are interested, please let me know.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

On the ACS758 I think it is important to get tbe filter right. It's the resistor and capacitor on fhe output. I have problems witb it as I don't fully understand the datasheet..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

While using the millis() and micros() code in another project I discovered it is not quite accurate, particularly if they are called very frequently. Here is the code with changes that corrects this.

Code: Select all

uint32_t TotalMicros ;
uint32_t TotalMillis ;
uint8_t Correction ;

uint32_t micros()
{
	uint16_t elapsed ;
	uint8_t millisToAdd ;
	uint8_t oldSREG = SREG ;
	cli() ;
	uint16_t time = TCNT1 ;	// Read timer 1
	SREG = oldSREG ;

elapsed = time - lastTimerValue ;
	elapsed += Correction ;
	Correction = elapsed & 0x0F ;
	elapsed >>= 4 ;

uint32_t ltime = TotalMicros ;
The problem was the "elapsed >>= 4" discarded up to 15/16 of a uS. The fix keeps a running total of these discards, and adds them back in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

MikeB wrote:While using the millis() and micros() code in another project I discovered it is not quite accurate, particularly if they are called very frequently. Here is the code with changes that corrects this.

uint32_t TotalMicros ;
uint32_t TotalMillis ;
uint8_t Correction ;

uint32_t micros()
{
	uint16_t elapsed ;
	uint8_t millisToAdd ;
	uint8_t oldSREG = SREG ;
	cli() ;
	SREG = oldSREG ;

elapsed += Correction ;
	elapsed >>= 4 ;

The problem was the "elapsed >>= 4" discarded up to 15/16 of a uS. The fix keeps a running total of these discards, and adds them back in.

Mike.
Thanks Mike,

here the code used in OXs that I modified based on your post.
You can see that there are some other code in order to take care of MCU clock.
Could you confirm that this code is OK.
I ok I will put a new version on google.

uint32_t micros()
{
	uint16_t elapsed ;
	uint8_t millisToAdd ;
	uint8_t oldSREG = SREG ;
	cli() ;
	SREG = oldSREG ;

elapsed += Correction ;

#if F_CPU == 20000000L   // 20MHz clock 
   #error Unsupported clock speed
  #elif F_CPU == 16000000L  // 16MHz clock                                                  
        elapsed >>= 4 ;
  #elif F_CPU == 8000000L   // 8MHz clock
        elapsed >>= 3 ;
    #else
    #error Unsupported clock speed
  #endif

//elapsed >>= 4 ;

ltime += elapsed ;
	cli() ;
	TotalMicros = ltime ;	// Done this way for RPM to work correctly
	lastTimerValue = time ;
	SREG = oldSREG ;	// Still valid from above

elapsed += MillisPrecount;
	millisToAdd = 0 ;
	if ( elapsed  > 3999 )
	{
		millisToAdd = 4 ;
		elapsed -= 4000 ;
	}
	else if ( elapsed  > 2999 )
	{
		millisToAdd = 3 ;		
		elapsed -= 3000 ;
	}
	else if ( elapsed  > 1999 )
	{
		millisToAdd = 2 ;
		elapsed -= 2000 ;
	}
	else if ( elapsed  > 999 )
	{
		millisToAdd = 1 ;
		elapsed -= 1000 ;
	}
	TotalMillis += millisToAdd ;
	MillisPrecount = elapsed ;
	return TotalMicros ;
}

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This line:
is for the 16 Mhz clock. It needs to be:
Correction = elapsed & 0x07 ;
for an 8 Mhz clock as you are only shifting right by 3 bits.

I suggest the following:

elapsed >>= 4 ;
        elapsed >>= 3 ;
    #else
Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

MikeB wrote:This line:
is for the 16 Mhz clock. It needs to be:
for an 8 Mhz clock as you are only shifting right by 3 bits.

I suggest the following:

elapsed >>= 4 ;
        elapsed >>= 3 ;
    #else
Mike.
Thanks Mike,
I will change the OXS code the way you say.
hageha

Post by hageha »

and again it is me, after several hours, failed a new sensor with the Ver. 2.3 to get it to work.
I want to transfer only Alti / Vario and the Lipo voltage. No single cell!
(3 or 4)
With the previous software, the sensor operates in both the "X" and in "D" mode
Alti / Vario works. But no Voltage!
Here is my Config.hex:
Attachments
oxs_config.h
(4.79 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

hageha wrote:and again it is me, after several hours, failed a new sensor with the Ver. 2.3 to get it to work.
I want to transfer only Alti / Vario and the Lipo voltage. No single cell!
(3 or 4)
With the previous software, the sensor operates in both the "X" and in "D" mode
Alti / Vario works. But no Voltage!
Here is my Config.hex:
I expect that the error is in this line from your config:
VFAS_FIRST_ID , VOLT1 , 10 , 1 , 0

In some previous version of OXS, the code to be used to specify the telemetry field differs for the D and the X receivers.
e.g. VFAS_FIRST_ID was a code foreseen for X receivers.
In newer OXS versions, I made some changes in order to support both types of receivers with the same set up (in config file).
The new codes to be used are given in the file config_description.h.
Here an extract from this file:
* ********************************************* Telemetry fields ************************************************
*---Field in OpenTx----- Normal associated OXS Measurement names------------
* code unit
* (metric)
* Alt m ALTIMETER
* VSpd m/s VERTICAL_SPEED or VERTICAL_SPEED_2 or PRANDTL_DTE or PPM_VSPEED
* Curr A CURRENTMA
* Vfas V One of VOLT1, VOLT2,...VOLT6
* T1 Can be used for one of VOLT1, VOLT2,...VOLT6 or sensitivity, PPM, ...
* T2 Can be used for one of VOLT1, VOLT2,...VOLT6 or sensitivity, PPM, ...
* Rpm RPM
* Fuel MILLIAH
* AccX Can be used for one of VOLT1, VOLT2,...VOLT6 or sensitivity, PPM, ...
* AccY Can be used for one of VOLT1, VOLT2,...VOLT6 or sensitivity, PPM, ...
* AccZ Can be used for one of VOLT1, VOLT2,...VOLT6 or sensitivity, PPM, ...
* A3 Not available for D serie Rx, Can be used for one of VOLT1, VOLT2,...VOLT6 or sensitivity, PPM, ...
* A4 Not available for D serie Rx, Can be used for one of VOLT1, VOLT2,...VOLT6 or sensitivity, PPM, ...
* ASpd 1/10 of knot AIR_SPEED , Not available for D serie Rx
* Cell & Cells CELLS_1_2 & CELLS_3_4 & CELLS_5_6

So, if you want to get Volt1 in field Vfas, your line in the config file should become (take care of the upper/lower cases):
Vfas , VOLT1 , 10 , 1 , 0

Let me know if it is OK or not.
hageha

Post by hageha »

@mstrens
with the changed line everything works on "X" receiver!
With a "D" receiver, the voltage is 10 times greater than indicated.
125 instead of 12.5
Thank you for your quick response and help !!
Hans
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

hageha wrote:@mstrens
with the changed line everything works on "X" receiver!
With a "D" receiver, the voltage is 10 times greater than indicated.
125 instead of 12.5
Thank you for your quick response and help !!
Hans
Thanks for the feedback.
I checked the code in OXS and I don't see any reason why the Vfas value is different for X and D receivers.
I suspect that the difference occurs on Tx side.
I had already noticed that for X serie Rx the displayed value for Vfas was 10 time lower than the sended value. Probably that this is not the case for the D serie.

Perhaps can you make another test sending VOLT1 in the telemetry field T1 or T2. For those fields, I think that Tx displays exactly the value that has been sent.

Return to “OpenXVario - an open source vario supported by the open source firmwares!!”