Turnigy 9XR PRO + FrSky Module + Receiver how to setup telemetry

Electronic projects that are either related to the firmwares for the 9x, or simply great for radio control applications.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The FrSky hub is only for D-series sensors.
From the Aloft website:

FrSky's newest series of sensors are a hub-less design. No more hubs, the Smart Port allows you to daisy-chain multiple sensors together to meet your needs. This results in less clutter and gives the freedom to design the system you need, not what a hub will allow. Requires a Smart Port equipped receiver such as the X series from FrSky. (X8R, X6R, X4R, etc.)

The MiniHub+ by N2 Industries works with the FrSky Smart Port based receivers and Taranis transmitters. It offers an RPM, 2 temp and 3 voltage sensor and 1 current sensor ports.

bob195558

Re: Turnigy 9XR PRO + FrSky Module + Receiver how to setup telemetry

Post by bob195558 »

The N2 MiniHub+ for FrSky is for the FrSky Smart Port (S.Port) sensor family which this Hub is for the X-series sensors.
But I think you may not need this Hub at this time as many of the X-series sensors, you can just connect them together to your X8R Receiver Smart Port.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That's my understanding too. The FrSky sensors connect to SPort. Some N2 sensors require the N2 Minihub.

If you are ordering from Aloft, ask specifically if your stuff will work together. Unlike HK, Aloft has a real, very well informed, helpful human being (called Wayne) who will guide you. His prices are good and delivery in North America is fast.

By the way, the XJT module is plug and play in the 9XR Pro.
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

Thanks guys you are really helpful.

So since i am a bit of a control freak and want to understand everything, I have some more things to ask.

Since i guess that i understand how the X-series works now i want to take it a bit further. I know that some autopilots accept CPPM/SBUS signal.

Does this mean that the autopilot that i may want to buy in the future will be able to share the sensor data with my FrSky ?

And if this is true what autopilots support that ?

Also regarding Aloft i know that lots of people like it and buy stuff from it but i am no where near the USA i am far away in Greece
I have bought most of my stuff from banggood and only a few from HK.

I have had a bad experience with HK:

* The didn't post the goods as "gift" so all of my stuff got stuck in customs (Turnigy 9XR pro + DJT combo + battery) and had to pay a ridiculous fee
* Support is awful when i complained about my package being help in customs they its my country's fault and they only mark packages as "gift" for platinum customers.
* The DJT Combo presentation as a telemetry package was misleading.

On the other hand everything from banggood is just fine, they mark everything as "gift", or "documents" without the need to remind them, Packaging is very good to the point that you can't rip your package open and they refund you if something is faulty.

So i hope that i won't have any issues with Aloft and that will be able to ship in Greece in affordable way and mark everything as "gift" so we skip customs. ( i have already send them an email )
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

You need to go to the appropriate forums on RCGroups or elsewhere to get a full range of advice on FCs. It's clear that CPPM and SBus are increasingly the way FCs are going.

I understand that Aloft has a very good reputation for delivering around the world. My own dealings with them (from Canada) have been excellent.

Good luck.

By the way, the DJT and V8 receiver are excellent pieces of equipment, just not suitable for your purposes. So they should be readily salable.

biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

Hello again,

I am reviving this thread because its now time to replace my receiver. The requirements have changed a bit, i want a receiver that can output RSSI to an autopilot such as Arkbird.

I have researched a bit and i believe FrSky D8R-XP to be compatible:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... CPPM_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 918X30.pdf

Can you please verify that this will probably work ?

You can see here the progress with my plane modded to twin tractor here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYpTV0sHAHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H80q2sYBZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vXQ8Xpnglk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9YODwF2mWY

I would like to start FPV now and i believe that i need autopilot with RTH ( and also a GPS Tracker ) as a failsafe

Thanks
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi biomecanoid,
I like and recommend the external FrSky XJT module which uses FrSky X-Series telemetry sensors and receivers
and you can use it as a DJT module which uses D-Series telemetry sensors with D-Series receivers.
See here: (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... eiver.html).

Bob B.
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

Hi Bob,

Of course the XJT series is better. I already have a DJT Module and i was just hoping i can upgrade only the receiver and not the module.
What are my options since i wanna keep the DJT module ?

This is what i current have:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... II_RX.html

I have to buy an autopilot and FPV Gear so i don't wanna spend more money on a module, i want a cheap way to pass RSSI to Arkibird because later on if all goes well with the autopilot and FPV i will upgrade to uhf.

Thanks
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

The FrSky D8R-XP 2.4Ghz Receiver (w/telemetry & CPPM) is a good choose for the D-Series receivers.
There are a lot of options you can shop for FPV systems.

Bob B.
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

Thanks bob

Then D8R-XP it is, putting it on the shopping list.

I have another question now:

To have RSSI output, one has to short 3rd and 4th channels together right ? but if i put a jumper i will have RSSI signal from channel 2, and CPPM from channel one, does this mean that I'll have only 4 channels available (5, 6, 7 and 8)?

So if you don't consider it out of topic i will lay out the components for the FPV and autopilot.
I always like to double check everything with someone else, another pair of eyes may spot things i have missed.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Correct, but your autopilot most likely can make use of the CPPM signal with all 8 channels on it.

A D4R-II can do the same job.
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

Kilrah wrote:Correct, but your autopilot most likely can make use of the CPPM signal with all 8 channels on it.

A D4R-II can do the same job.

Wont that be a problem ? My current setup regarding channels is :

CH1 THR

CH2 THR

CH3 RUD

CH4 AIL

CH5 ELE

And having THR on different channels i can turn the plane on the ground and in the sky with differential thrust. Will i lose diff thrust ?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I don't know the autopilot you intend to use, it would likely depend on this more than on the radio system.
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

Kilrah wrote:I don't know the autopilot you intend to use, it would likely depend on this more than on the radio system.
I am thinking of buying Arkbird lite because in the manual it states that i has bi motor setup.
If i have only 4 working sockets to plug my servos and ESCs ( and i need 5 (THR-L, THR-R, Ailerons, Rudder, Elevator) wont i be losing one function ?

LOL i am probably boring you to death here but i am trying to understand if this setup will work for me before i go buy the hardware.

I attach the manual of arkbird 2.0 lite
Attachments
Arkbird Autopilot 2.0 lite Manual.pdf
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 301 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That autopilot seems not to support either PPM or SBUS as inputs, so you're indeed constrained to 4 channels.

But the autopilot also does not give you control of both throttles from the radio anyway, it decides itself what it puts out to both motors (apparently mixes rudder into motor differential in some conditions) so that should be enough.
Bi-motor mixed control, when throttle is less than 25%, there is no differential steering, when over
25%, throttle outputs differential steering.
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

Kilrah wrote:That autopilot seems not to support either PPM or SBUS as inputs, so you're indeed constrained to 4 channels.

But the autopilot also does not give you control of both throttles from the radio anyway, it decides itself what it puts out to both motors (apparently mixes rudder into motor differential in some conditions) so that should be enough.
Bi-motor mixed control, when throttle is less than 25%, there is no differential steering, when over
25%, throttle outputs differential steering.
Thanks for taking the time to read the manual and clarify that for me.

So since i need 5 channels to have diff thrust working which frsky receiver and autopilot will do the job ?

Also email notifications from this topic don't seem to work for me, i get nothing on my email and i also check the spam/junk folder
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The basic rule with an autopilot is that any setting/mixing must be done in the autopilot, not the radio. Reason is obvious, the autopilot must know how to control the different actuators on its own when the radio is not available and it takes control. If you have 2 ailerons with some mix then that mix and the travels must be configured in the autopilot. If you want 2 throttles and want a way to mix them that pleases you and that you can control from the radio, then you need an autopilot that has the facility to do that the way you want.

So you first need to find an autopilot that can do what you want, and only then can the rest be worked out depending on its other specs.
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

Hi Kilrah,

Arkbird is the only one i could find so far that supports twin tractor up to a degree, all the other autopilots require that you connect the ESCs with a Y cable so they are on the same channel.

So is there a way to have 5 free channels so i connect my servos and ESCs ?

Thanks
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Again that can't work, if you connect the ESCs directly to the receiver then the autopilot won't have control over throttle and can't do its job.

Other autopilots may not have a feature dedicated to dual throttle but may be able to do it using custom mixing.
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

As far as i can understand from what i have read Arkbird uses mixes to achieve diff thrust.

I don't mind losing the ability to use diff thrust manually as long as autopilot is able to use it.

If we assume i go with Arkbird since i have not find any other suitable autopilot what needs to be done next ?
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

I found this in the manual page 5:

Connect Receiver's CH1-7 to IN PORT or use a PPM connection.PPM interface supports Arkbird 433 receiver
to achieve single-wire 10 Channel transmission and signal strength RSSI (automatically identified when
plugged in).

So i guess Arkbird supports PPM
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

I also found the attached PDF showing how to connect RSSI from FRSKY L9R
Attachments
Arkbird-Rssi-L9R.pdf
(103.23 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

I have decided to simplify my target setup.

So i think i will go for the Cyclops Storm OSD/Autopilot which is also half the price of Arkbird. Storm Autopilot only uses pitch and roll to control the aircraft ( stabilize/RTH etc ) and leaves the throttle to the user, so that way i won't lose my diff thrust that is mixed with rudder.

Also since it seems to be a big deal to pass the RSSI from FRSKY to any OSD, I will suffice to having RSSI and battery voltage on the Turnigy 9XR Pro

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FrSky-Battery ... SwbdpWVCi8

From what i understand regarding the voltage sensor is that i must not connect the ground wire since i am using only one flight battery to power both my motor and ESC otherwise i will make a nasty ground loop, is that correct ?

Anything wrong with the setup i am proposing any recommendations ?
Attachments
STORM OSD V1.0 English Manual.pdf
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 234 times
frsky_battery_voltage_sensor.pdf
(682.7 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
TRR-1587A.jpg
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

I have ordered L9R, XJT since they are compatible with Cyclops Storm because L9R outputs analogue RSSI. Order will come in about a month.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Be aware that this FrSky L9R - Long Range 9/12 Channel Receiver is not a telemetry receiver.
When flying at these ranges, you will probably be using an On Screen Data (OSD) video system for your telemetry needs.
So the L9R has no built in telemetry, but it will output the RSSI levels so you can feed them to your OSD.
RSSI output = analog voltage (0~3.3V): (https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-l9r-long ... eiver.html).

Bob B.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Also see: How to connect FrSky Battery Voltage Sensor (FBVS-01) (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=4293).

Bob B.

Return to “General RC Electronic Projects and Discussion”