9x Voice Recognition Control: Now we're talking!

Electronic projects that are either related to the firmwares for the 9x, or simply great for radio control applications.
thomas9x

9x Voice Recognition Control: Now we're talking!

Post by thomas9x »

I thought it would be cool to have voice control for the flight phases on my Quadcopter. Here's what I ended up with:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/4gLFX-GAI_s[/BBvideo]

If you have any technical question please post them in my blog discussion (this keeps all the info in one place):
http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?/ ... ject-blog/

- Thomas

jhsa

Re: 9x Voice Recognition Control: Now we're talking!

Post by jhsa »

Veeeery nice :) Who needs a 6 position rotary switch? :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

I knew some one sooner or later will come up with something like this. Just did not expect it so soon. ;)
Possible to integrate all those 3 boards and lcd into one module and just plug in with one connector? My Sky9x tx is already full inside (one DHT and a 4T4P switch), I don't think there is room for 3 boards like that any more. ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

hmmm, I could put it in my tray which has a little compartment where I put the wireless trainer system and an extra battery. after all we just need a trainer connection between this device and the radio.. microphone could also be installed somewhere in the tray.. This could also also be used for flaps and gear, lights etc.. ;)
no more taking the THUMBS from the sticks to operate that kind of stuff :mrgreen:
Better not using it on the throttle cut though :mrgreen: and we must be careful when speaking with someone while flying ;)

João

P.S. - I really want to make one now.. ;)

EDIT: at the moment, as far as I understand the device just sends a channel to the tx and uses different values within tha channel? What about sending more channels? this would reduce the amount of custom switches used, right?

If I do this I would like to be able to use it instead of the switches. ;) This would drive my Futaba friends at the club mad.. ;) :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
NI0X

Post by NI0X »

You will not even need sticks any more, just tell the model what to do :D

thomas9x

Post by thomas9x »

Possible to integrate all those 3 boards and lcd into one module and just plug in with one connector? My Sky9x tx is already full inside (one DHT and a 4T4P switch), I don't think there is room for 3 boards like that any more.
An ambitious hacker could shrink the size a lot. But I doubt that is necessary in your 9x. If you look at the photo in my blog you will see that I mounted the two boards on the back case (not the front case). Those areas should still be available in a typical Sky9x installation.

Looking forward, I think voice recognition could integrate nicely into the Taranus. It certainly has the code space to do it. If it has a spare serial port then the hardware integration would be a slam dunk, otherwise a hardware interface would need to be created.
as far as I understand the device just sends a channel to the tx and uses different values within the channel? What about sending more channels? this would reduce the amount of custom switches used, right?
Sure, you could adapt this to use more channels. The voice recognition board can learn five spoken commands. This could control ten on/off functions if you adapted the Arduino code to make the spoken commands act as toggles. Or you could hack this hack and use a different voice recognition engine that can handle more commands.
Better not using it on the throttle cut though :mrgreen: and we must be careful when speaking with someone while flying
I agree since this low cost technology is not perfect. For now voice control should not be used on some features for safety. BTW, it's not clearly seen in the photos, but I have a small push switch on the side of the transmitter. If an unwanted voice command occurs, and the switch is momentarily pressed within 5 seconds, the new command is canceled and the previous command is restored. In a panic situation I can press and hold the button for > 1S and a default safe flight mode is enabled.
You will not even need sticks any more, just tell the model what to do
This R/C voice recognition project is late to the party, but a first in regards to the 9x. For example:
http://www.hobbytron.com/GYROHeliComman ... opter.html
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/voi ... e=activity

- Thomas
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

So we can have one 9X (with voice output) telling another 9x what to do :mrgreen:

I must have been listening to João too much :D :mrgreen:

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You must be glad to know that I'm going to be away for 2 weeks don't you? ;) :)

The bad news are, I take the laptop with me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So we can have one 9X (with voice output) telling another 9x what to do :mrgreen:
Imagine that someone is flying next to you with another 9x with voice.. Big mess :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I have that feature in my Toyota GPS and Bt auto dial. I see new places I never wanted to go to and talk to people that I don't know.

I am impressed with the video here and your work. The real test will be at the field so keep us updated on your progress. The robotics people and other non flying applications persons should really like it.
thomas9x

Post by thomas9x »

The issue of false/bad voice command performance was a concern. So on the custom PCB there's an audio processing circuit that provides analog voice compression and voice level (VOX) detection. This added complexity might not be necessary, but it was included as a security blanket.

But perhaps part of the reason for the good performance I'm experiencing is due to using a directional noise canceling headset mic that is positioned at my mouth. The PCB also has circuitry to provide audio sidetone from the mic to the earphone (like a telephone handset uses), which helps the user adjust their speaking voice to the optimum level. These little details may be enough to eliminate a lot of issues that often occur in commercial voice control applications that have a remotely positioned omni mic that covers a large speaking area (such as in a automobile cockpit installation).

There are certainly some limitations to using voice recognition for model control. Perhaps noisy club flight lines might be a problem (I'm not sure, I don't fly at a club). Pilots that like to chat with everyone while they fly will need to stop doing that when using voice control. However, the xbox headset I'm using has a mic mute switch in case I need to talk to the peanut gallery while piloting my Quadcopter.

- Thomas
kaos

Post by kaos »

yep, flying in a busy field could be a problem. noises may be mistaken as a voice command or many voice commands. :P
thomas9x wrote:
Possible to integrate all those 3 boards and lcd into one module and just plug in with one connector? My Sky9x tx is already full inside (one DHT and a 4T4P switch), I don't think there is room for 3 boards like that any more.
An ambitious hacker could shrink the size a lot. But I doubt that is necessary in your 9x. If you look at the photo in my blog you will see that I mounted the two boards on the back case (not the front case). Those areas should still be available in a typical Sky9x installation.
unfortunately, my sky9x Tx is not a 'typical' sky9xTx any more. here is what it looks like:
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 877#p40911
thomas9x

Post by thomas9x »

If there's no room inside the Tx then an external board-in-a-box is another solution. But I don't like mounting boxes on my R/C transmitter, so that is why the voice recognition hardware is inside the 9x's case. I can appreciate how some installations would need an external board, so it is indeed another way to go.
Scale Drawing
Scale Drawing
The inverted "T" shaped PCB that was created fits in the free space at the top of the rear case. With some creative effort it could be smaller and/or a different shape. The Chinese voice recognition module is 1.8" x 1.2" so perhaps a target size for the interface PCB would be one that had the same dimensions (so the two could be sandwiched together). BTW, the OLED display is about 1"x1" so it would also fit within those dimensions.

Here's a dimensional drawing of the T shaped board I use:
Genie_PCB.pdf
Screen shot of T shaped board
(68.16 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
The caps and resistors on this layout were 0805's, so smaller SMD parts would help. A lot of real estate would be eliminated by replacing the mini-Pro Arduino module with just the ATMEL chip. There's also some components that are not stuffed so removing them from the artwork would free more space. This design has parts on only one side, so using both sides of the PCB will help reduce size too. I don't have any plans to do any of this, but it gives you an idea that a smaller PCB is a reasonable thing to achieve with some design tweaks.

- Thomas
kaos

Post by kaos »

I will definitely looking into that when I get around to do it. ;) Keep the excellent development going so by the time I get to it, it will be perfected already. :mrgreen:

as for not liking hanging boxes out side the Tx. Isn't the LCD screen a small box already. :P
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Perhaps it's time to consider skipping this step and move onto the ultimate system ----> Brain Controlled Helicopter
thomas9x

Post by thomas9x »

as for not liking hanging boxes out side the Tx. Isn't the LCD screen a small box already.
You make a good point. Originally the OLED was going to be optional (only used for programming the voice commands). But I like the nice flight mode graphics so it will stay on the 9x. This is one of those times I wish I had a 3D printer and mechanical CAD skills so I could make a professional looking case for it. Maybe something that would clamp onto the base of the antenna.
Perhaps it's time to consider skipping this step and move onto the ultimate system ----> Brain Controlled Helicopter
I'm afraid that if I had a brain controlled helicopter that all it could do is fly in circles. :)

- Thomas
kaos

Post by kaos »

thomas9x wrote: Maybe something that would clamp onto the base of the antenna.
with the circuit board(s) placed in that case would be ideal. Just plug and go. :)
Here is a Frysky mounting gig that we can put any box on it and clamp on the Tx handle. I use that to mount my FPV DVR/monitor and A/V out from goggle. NO ground station needed. ;)
that little ball mounting can be replaced/removable while keeping the mounting arm on the handle. Just use different ball mount for different 'box'/application. Using more than one mount you can place more than one 'box' on there if space allowed. ;)
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-mounting-stand.html

Return to “General RC Electronic Projects and Discussion”