Turnigy 9x EEPROM Error, Help Please

The original alternative firmware. Suitable for all 9x based radio control transmitters.
SterlingH

Turnigy 9x EEPROM Error, Help Please

Post by SterlingH »

I just started in RC 2 months ago and have no experience soldering which is what all of the flashing solutions I have found call for. I purchased the 9x from Hobby King about a month ago and all worked well. I wanted to use it as a controller for my sim so I and my father could practice. I ended up purchasing a 3.5 mm to USB 2.0 adapter, connecting the transmitter to the computer and then tried to run VJoy after the computer told me that it failed to install drivers for the transmitter. I applied the settings from VJoy and ended up with an EEPROM error, and the transmitter will not let me do anything. I tried restoring by holding Exit while powering on to no avail. I really love this transmitter and do not want to let it become a brick. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated, and I am willing to learn to solder if need be. I do have a 4ch Hobby King transmitter that I can use in the mean time but I want to get the 9x back up and running!

Thanks for any tips or suggestions

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Turnigy 9x EEPROM Error, Help Please

Post by MikeB »

The non- soldering method to be able to flash custom firmware is here: http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331.

Several thousand have been sold.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
SterlingH

Post by SterlingH »

Should I get the board for $46 or just buy a whole new transmitter for $60? Is Er9x worth it?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Well the best is for you to read the manuals of ER9X and OpenTX to see if you understand them and if they meet your needs - but some have dumped $2000 radios to use a 9x with them instead ;)
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

SterlingH wrote:Should I get the board for $46 or just buy a whole new transmitter for $60? Is Er9x worth it?
Yes the opensource firmware is worth it.

Note that the new (9xr?) tx probably wont have a RF module or receiver included. So consider that.

The SP board is a well supported option

I imagine you could sell your current radio.

Where are you located and/or are you willing to ship your old radio. Someone could get it going

SterlingH

Post by SterlingH »

I went ahead and ordered the smarties parts board. I am not bad at the software side so much as the hardware side. My main concern was that I saw elsewhere that the EEPROM error could be brought about by hardware damage which I was afraid the 3.5 mm might have done. If I can't figure it out I will probably sell the transmitter but until then it will be a great learning experience.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I think you'll be happy with the SP board.

Hopefully your EEPROM error was just a fluke
( you cant program the eeprom from the trainer port, maybe a voltage spike confused the eeprom ??)
and when you flash an opensource firmware it will overwrite the eeprom and you will be good
SterlingH

Post by SterlingH »

I got the board today and flashed successfully to ER9X!!! SO MANY OPTIONS. Gonna take awhile to figure out but should be fun.
vnv

Post by vnv »

You bought it already so doesn't matter any more, but as hobby-ist you should just try simple mods like this:

http://www.hacksmods.com/2011/11/turnig ... istor-mod/

After this you ppm output is working and you can connect all the sim modules to trainer port.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you read that mod again, you will see it is not necessary if you use er9x firmware. Just enable PPMSIM and use that.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

@vnv
And that post is nearly 4 years old anyway :) ;)
We've been here quite a while :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
vnv

Post by vnv »

:) ...oh damn... :):)

Return to “th9x”