FrSky Tx (X12D)

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Horus. (not yet released)
kaos

Re: FrSky Tx (X12D)

Post by kaos »

If so, then is there a way to link two 8ch rx to 'one' 16 ch rx? or still have to use the ppm for 9-16 ch?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I'd love having a possibility to bind 2 8-CH receivers to the same TX module, and get 1-8 on one and 9-16 on the other. That was suggested long ago, but no idea if FrSky went for it.
If not, they'll probably release new 16CH receivers.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Let's cross the fingers. ;) or you can bombard Frysky with emails. :mrgreen:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's a pretty good summary of what has been released so far, yep.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Nice!
SM
kaos

Post by kaos »

It says the release date is early 2013. They are going to release it at the same time with X9D?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The original schedule was 4th quarter of 2012 for the X9D, and early 2013 for X12D... as the X9D isn't there yet and will probably the one to arrive early 2013, the X12D will probably have to follow the same delay...
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Have the specs of the 9XD been released?
LarryC

Post by LarryC »

Romolo wrote:This is a cut and paste from a chat I had with a guy of frsky:
the radio is 12-14 channel
clip...
Perhaps someone here can explain some things to me about number of channels. We all all know about the 9X and it's claims to being a 9 channel TX, can someone explain to me just how many channels (or servos) I can use with the X12D? To put things in my humble perspective, I envision a radio that transmits to a receiver that has 12 channels which output signals to a receiver with 12 servo plugs. Not some sort of mixing for virtual channels. Is the X12D really a 12 channel/receiver/servo capable TX? Just curious mind you, I don't have any need for 12 channels yet but would like to know for future reference.
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

Old post, but I'm checking out the new radios and thought I would chime in.
LarryC wrote:To put things in my humble perspective, I envision a radio that transmits to a receiver that has 12 channels which output signals to a receiver with 12 servo plugs. Not some sort of mixing for virtual channels. Is the X12D really a 12 channel/receiver/servo capable TX? Just curious mind you, I don't have any need for 12 channels yet but would like to know for future reference.
The issue with high numbers of channels and PPM signaling is the latency - how long it takes to send out a servo pulse for each channel, and consequently how many times per second the servos can be updated. FrSky seems to be getting around this by ditching PPM (a time-coded analog signal) and going to a new protocol called PXX. I haven't seen much info about the new protocol yet (though there seems to be support for it in er9X) but it likely drops the whole time-coded scheme and goes to a data-based serial data stream.
If that's the case, PXX will still have a limit on how fast servos can be updated (due to bandwidth limitations, just like an internet connection downloading files), but the updates can be sent as a few bytes of data in a tiny fraction of the time it would take to send one PPM time-coded servo update. The entire 16 channel range could conceivably be updated in the time it would take a PPM system to send out one servo update.
Further, the updates could be sent out intelligently. That is, why waste bandwidth on sending an update to a stationary servo? The channels for accessories like flaps and gear rarely get changed, so most of the time their bandwidth can be re-allocated to updates to more active channels like ailerons, elevator and rudder (pitch, yaw and roll, whatever). With that schema in mind, 16 channels is really an arbitrary number. One could increase the number of channels on their radio system simply by plugging an add-on decoder/channel expansion box into the receiver and setting up the channels on the TX.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Old thread indeed.

The Taranis radio is 16-channel. 9ms update rate for 8 channels, 18ms for 16CH.
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

Huh. Not as huge an improvement as I would have hoped for, but still substantial. PPM is typically ~1-2ms per channel and ~10ms sync meaning 18-26ms update rate for 8 channel, and 26-42ms update for 16 channel.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The Taranis uses PXX to the internal (XJT) module not PPM. In theory, all 16 channels could be passed to the Tx module in less than 9mS.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

Mmm. That's pretty much what I figured.
So back on topic, if the Taranis does 8, 12 and 16 channels, is it in fact the "X12D"?
If not, what is the Horus going to have that sets it apart? The lack of info on the FrSky new products page has me wringing my hands - the Taranis looks like an excellent new radio platform, which would do everything my two 9X rigs are currently doing. The only thing holding me back is the lack of info on the Horus.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

My guess...

Two screens
Uber cool case
More sliders
Rotary encoders

That about right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There indeed is no real info on Horus yet. My guess is that the main differences will be the form factor targeted to tray-style radio users, and the 2nd screen. I don't expect the functionality to be much different.
That would be FrSky's different approach of not purposedly limiting functionality to differentiate models and require you to upgrade should you want more. Just offer things targeting the different categories of users, but they can all do everything.
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

I'm a fan of that approach. Manufacturers' intentional limitations on product features (aka cripplewear) has always irritated me, sometimes to the point of refusing to buy anything from the manufacturer.
I have a Nikon D60 DSLR that doesn't do exposure bracketing. Bracketing is simply 3-5 frames in quick succession with the exposure settings automatically changed a few steps between exposures. The camera will do exposures in succession (hold the shutter release and it takes pictures till its buffer is full), and the exposure settings are all electronic. There's no physical reason the camera couldn't do it... It was just left out of the software to try to push buyers up to the next model/price point. Bracketing is such a simple and commonplace feature that I didn't think to make sure it was present when I spent ~$700 on the camera.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Rob Thomson wrote:My guess...

Two screens
Uber cool case
More sliders
Rotary encoders

That about right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
That is HORUSGASMIC.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Can't wait ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Kilrah wrote:My guess is that the main differences will be the form factor targeted to tray-style radio users, and the 2nd screen.
Now that sounds like a fantastic guess that would be accepted with open arms by the serious flyers.. Like it! :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

who? ;) :mrgreen: serious what?? :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
EvaLiu

Post by EvaLiu »

I came across the mould sample of Horus by chance and took two pictures in case you are interested in. Here they are.
image.jpeg
image1.jpeg
Below is FrSky roadmap within the next couple of months.
6cell, 7.2V, 2000mAH low self discharged battery – provide as an upgrade option for Taranis battery.

Gimbals – provide as spare parts for purchase, repair or upgrade, one piece per package rather than one pair.

X6R receiver – 6 channel outputs, SBUS port and Smart port, smaller dimension and lighter weight than X8R. Available in 1~1.5 months.

X4R receiver – available after X6R.

Ampere-40A and Lipo Battery smart port sensors – Available in 0.5~1 month.

GPS, RPM and Airspeed smart port sensors will follow up.

The first two SBUS/CPPM servos - Available in 1~1.5 month.
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Just few comments about the horus:

The three pots seem very near each other
The power switch as it is can be operated by mistake while blindly looking for pots using the finger.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Yup. That was a big issue for the hitec aurora.

You would need to make sure the switch cannot be hit by mistake.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I JUST LOVE IT. Please don't change the looks of that radio. fantastic. it will worth the wait. Thank you for sharing the pics Eva.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Romolo wrote:Just few comments about the horus:

The three pots seem very near each other
The power switch as it is can be operated by mistake while blindly looking for pots using the finger.
I quite like the pots near to each other as you can feel them all with the hand and then move the finger to the one you want without looking..

Now the power switch must be recessed if it is going to stay on that place..

Another possibility would be to move the switch to another location. top of the radio for example, and use the space left in between the sticks for a couple of sliders.. For example, two pots instead of 3 and one or 2 sliders between the sticks..

Just sayin' ;) :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Looking good. :)

Could be a bit bigger to suit tray users. The removal of that nasty little eyelet where people clip on the neck strap would make more space. If it must be there, how about two on the sides instead?

It would be great if this TX had the option of having a joystick end switch/push button fitted. This is of course no use to thumb flyers, but of a great benefit to most of us 'real' flyers who have moved up a skill level. :)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

For me.. personally.. in tray format.

I prefer sliders rather than pots. But maybe that is just me :-)
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Hmm. Yes.... How about four sliders with centre detent.

On off switch could go on the top side, which would clear the central area for the sliders or whatever, as long as you do not insist on a putting a neck trap loop attachment there, which would get in the way.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will definitely need the neck strap there as I won't be using it as a tray radio. No switches on the stick for me please. an upgrade with different sticks could be made available for the ones that think / are convinced they are real flyers and moved up a skill level.. ;) and think they are better than everyone else :D :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “FRSky Horus radio”