Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
ozphoenix

Re: Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
What am I doing wrong (big question, I know!):
9XRPro/XJT module with good BIND to s6R (I can do s6r self test by toggling Ch12 and a servo on Ch1 responds normally), this version of firmware:
27-Oct-2016 12:14
Add Calibration option
Failsafe setting moved to protocol menu
Add "Off" option for ELE2
SKY/AR9X, 9XR-PRO, 9Xtreme and Taranis/plus

The Version reported by the radio is V-1406-Mike, Date 27.10.2016, Time: 10:57:45, SVN: ersky9x-pr219, MOD: REVB-X

I do not see the Failsafe option on the Protocol Menu (or the Model General Menu) and when I get to the s6r menu (main menu, up, then two left) I DOWN once to get the first option (wing type) and press MENU - nothing happens - no readings returned. Another DOWN and MENU - same - no input from S6R (three lines of digits on s6R screen remain all zeros).

Any clues?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you got the protocol set to XJT?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Errrr -- no! Thanks, simple answer to long dumb question :)) Well, newbie-here thought that because I could operate servos and do the self-test, the protocol was set up right - guess not. Okay, set to XJT now and all works as expected - results coming in and updating :) Simple solution to newbie problem :)))

Many thanks for your support - much appreciated.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

I was busy with some family activities, so I only had a quick look at the latest version posted.
So far, all seem to work as expected!
Thanks a lot!!!
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike - do I need to be in a particular mode (setting of Ch10/Ch11) for calibration to work (though, the results shown below here seem to not change, regardless of Ch10/Ch11)? I can read in all the parameters, then I try to do calibration. I put the unit horizontal (1st step) do MENU LONG (the 's6r' letters disappear from the graphic on the 9xrpro), orange/yellow led flashes on/off 5 times, and then goes off - then nothing more (no change in graphic shape, no letters re-appear) even if I wait 1-2 minutes. If I press MENU LONG again -- the orange/yellow light comes on solid, the graphic changes to show upright Rx with 'S' at bottom, 'R' at top and the orange/yellow led comes on solid - I pick up the Rx, the servos wobble in sync with the Rx movement but nothing else happens. If I press MENU LONG, the first line of digits (lower right of Tx) changes from 0001 to 0000 (second line was and still is 009D, third 0001), the letters stay in the graphic, the orange/yellow led stays on and no more read commands will work (the servos still wobble in sync with Rx movement, so the Rx is not 'dead'). I cannot progress any further in the calibration sequence. The only way to restart is to power cycle the Rx (but the servos are now dead when it powers back up, even though green led is on), exit the s6r menu on the Tx and do a self-test on the Rx, after which the servos are working and the orange/yellow led is off (green has been on all along).

Any clues there?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The graphic shows how to place the S6R during calibration, there are 6 different positions.
The first is horizontal with the S6R upwards. When the graphic changes, it is showing "now place the S6R horizontally, but without the S6R showing", so the S6R logo is at the bottom. You then press MENU again and when that calibration completes, the image changes again to show how to place the S6R next.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Gees! Embarrassing - I need to get more sleep - I was looking for the hard things too much :( yes, after one failed try (maybe MENU LONG not looong enough) it works as you say :((( Sorry to take up your time --- but, when you are next updating the calibration section for other more important reasons, can you put the word inverted in brackets -- (inverted) -- under that second image where the s6r label is hidden, please? Then, dummies like me will get it clearly :( Also, when the cycle has been around once on all sides, I think you don't have to continue - right?? Shouldn't the graphic then say 'End' or 'Finished' - even simpler minds than mine might go around and around and around -- my mother-in-law would :)))))))) Mike, seriously, though - many thanks for your patience and the superb work you guys do - it makes our hobby more productive, interesting and fun to be involved with - it is greatly appreciated
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I sort of copied the calibration screen of the FrSky PC program, that just keeps going round as well!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Ah, ok - well, best thing is that I don't give this setup to my mother-in-law! But, the (inverted) might help others :) I realise that I was looking for problems in a new software setup in the wrong place (should have been looking at the simple things, not the hard ones). Anyway, other issues to deal with on the s6r yet - I lose ELE1 control sometimes, even on my bench test - I think others are also seeing that, even in flight :( Nice to be on the leading edge, sometimes, but then it turns to bleeding edge for some and it's not so funny :( Sleep well - it's morning here, so must be night there.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

@Mike - using r218 firmware (and also earlier versions), my Phoenix simulator works fine with the Tx. With this test version, the Phoenix says the Tx is not communicating. When I originally set up the Tx with the sim (around r217), I had the same sort of message and minor problem until I set Protocol for the model I was using to NEG, but I've now re-checked the obvious things in Protocol (in the same plane model) using this new firmware. I also moved the protocol back to PPM (from XJT) just to try for the sim use, but to no avail. At the moment, I can use the sim ok just by re-flashing back to r218, so it's not a big problem, but perplexing, nonetheless.

Have there been any minor changes in the protocol area or should I just re-check all those protocol settings again, or should I go looking in another area?
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hmm, I think I can confirm this! :(

I have a dedicated model for my sim. Protocol is set to PPM and Polarity = NEG. It worked with my simulator cable (RealFlight USB Interface) just fine. But with this S6R-compatible version of ersky9x, it just doesn't work anymore...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are you connecting using the trainer jack socket?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Yes, with the radio powered off.

And when I roll back ersky9x to the last official version (from er9x.com), the simulator works again.
Last edited by andrewju on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

P.S. There's no USB trainer support on ATSAM chips - not yet, right? :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No USB joystick (yet). I'm trying to sort out what is needed, but I can't find a specific example for the Atmel ARM processor.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try the following (not ideal perhaps, but it might at least get it working).
1. Power on normally and go to the RADIO|TRAINER menu. You have 4 profiles (0-3). Choose one and set the source to "Slave". If you go down a line, you may give the profile a name.
2. Go the the MODEL|General menu (of the model you use for the SIM) and select the profile you just set up.
3. Now power off, then plug in the trainer cable. The trainer polarity seems to be controlled by the PPM polarity of the external module (I'll see about getting it its own setting as I have on the 9Xtreme). So, set the external module to PPM and the polarity to NEG.

The sim should now work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Quick reply only - haven't tried anything new because I've other tasks outside (fencing paddocks today). Will try your suggestion later today but just FYI -- I use the training port, Tx powered off when plugging in - this causes the TX to power up and be recognised by the sim. Also just fyi (since you mentioned the module) - I do not normally need an external module plugged in for the sim to work with r218 -- it will work with the module in or out, either way.

Anyway, back to RC tasks later tonight.

Thanks for your suggestions so far - will report back later.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

I'm not a heavy user of the trainer port, and it's the first time I use the Trainer Profiles. So while setting it up, I saw a couple of issues:

First of all, I tried to use my rotary encoder to give a name to a Trainer profile in the Radio setup. The encoder seem to work very strange there. Sometimes it is perfectly Ok, and sometimes I get two characters instead of one, or only spaces when I click on a letter...

Second issue is the name of the profile displayed at the wrong position under General screen of the model settings. When selecting the trainer profile in the General menu, I can scroll through the 4 profiles. I think the intention was to show profile name in brackets. Instead, it is displayed at the very beginning of the line. In my case, I have called my profile 'cbb'. When I select it in settings, I get "cbbiner ( ) 0' displayed on the screen.

The good thing is that trainer cable does recognize the signal now. So the workaround works!
The trainer polarity seems to be controlled by the PPM polarity of the external module (I'll see about getting it its own setting as I have on the 9Xtreme).
Do you mean this setting alone is supposed to make the trainer port work? I think this does not work as expected in the S6R-compatible firmware. I have always set the external module to PPM / NEG in order to get my trainer port configured the way I need it. So there's nothing new here. But with the S6R firmware this does not work anymore. (though, the workaround with trainer profiles does work).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Strange, that I'm a heavy user of the trainer setup and don't remember seeing any of the issues :o
Will check later, and report. ;)

Boa
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Can also confirm that this workaround works (!) and also that it doesn't matter if the external module is installed (or not) in the 9XRPro - it still works. @Mike - what better solutions (other than going back to the previous release) do you suggest (you mention '(not ideal perhaps, but it might at least get it working)').
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

jhsa wrote:Strange, that I'm a heavy user of the trainer setup and don't remember seeing any of the issues :o
Will check later, and report. ;)
João,

Please check on ersky posted by Mike in the first post of this thread. So that we're both testing the same software.

Thanks a lot!!!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will flash it then. But first will test with the firmware I have installed. Which radio?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

I do it on AR9x
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Give me a day or so and I'll try to sort trainer operation, I've already got some things sorted.

Andrewju: I can't reproduce your encoder problem, and my trainer name appears correctly between the brackets on the Model|General menu (SKY board as I don't have an encoder on the AR9X board).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

andrewju wrote: First of all, I tried to use my rotary encoder to give a name to a Trainer profile in the Radio setup. The encoder seem to work very strange there. Sometimes it is perfectly Ok, and sometimes I get two characters instead of one, or only spaces when I click on a letter...
Comfirmed on the latest version from the ersky9x test versions.
Not confirmed on the version from the first post on this thread.. Maybe because it doesn't happen all the time?

I was having "Space" when trying to insert the profile name. I actually think I have reported this before, I remember now..
Only after I clicked on a character several times, all the spaces were replaced with that same character at once.. I then deleted the ones I didn't need and proceeded to insert the other characters without any further problems.
Second issue is the name of the profile displayed at the wrong position under General screen of the model settings. When selecting the trainer profile in the General menu, I can scroll through the 4 profiles. I think the intention was to show profile name in brackets. Instead, it is displayed at the very beginning of the line. In my case, I have called my profile 'cbb'. When I select it in settings, I get "cbbiner ( ) 0' displayed on the screen.
Not confirmed on any of the versions. Profile name in "General" always shoes as it should inside the brackets. Maybe because I had the names set already? I don't know.. I did change the name of one of the profiles and didn't see any problem..

The trainer polarity seems to be controlled by the PPM polarity of the external module (I'll see about getting it its own setting as I have on the 9Xtreme).
Do you mean this setting alone is supposed to make the trainer port work? I think this does not work as expected in the S6R-compatible firmware. I have always set the external module to PPM / NEG in order to get my trainer port configured the way I need it. So there's nothing new here. But with the S6R firmware this does not work anymore. (though, the workaround with trainer profiles does work).[/quote]

I confirm this problem with the test version from this thread. The workaround works fine.

The other version from the ersky9x test versions thread works fine. I tested with my sim before I flashed the version from this thread..

Test radio was the Ar9x

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:
Andrewju: I can't reproduce your encoder problem, and my trainer name appears correctly between the brackets on the Model|General menu (SKY board as I don't have an encoder on the AR9X board).

Mike.
It is not only with the encoder Mike.. It happens with the keys as well..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

jhsa wrote:Comfirmed on the latest version from the ersky9x test versions.
Not confirmed on the version from the first post on this thread.. Maybe because it doesn't happen all the time?
Correct. Sometimes it works normally. And sometimes it's just impossible to enter a name there.
So far I didn't find a sequence to reproduce the problem. It just happens sporadically.
And this doesn't seem to be related to the S6R-specific modifications.
jhsa wrote: Not confirmed on any of the versions. Profile name in "General" always shoes as it should inside the brackets.
It's a pity I didn't make a photo of my screen then. :(
Right now I checked and the name is displayed at the right place. I already changed the name though - maybe that's why...
I think this issue may be related to the first one. If there's garbage on the screen (or issues while typing the text in), my guess is there may be some unwanted character (maybe not even visible) that breaks line formatting.
When entering a name for the trainer profile works without issues, the name is then displayed correctly and at the right place of the screen.
MikeB wrote:Give me a day or so and I'll try to sort trainer operation, I've already got some things sorted.
Sure! This is not urgent for me at all!

Thanks!!!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For information, ersky9x uses certain values in text for formatting.
A value from 0 to 20 means tab to that character position across the screen.
A value of 31 means start a new line.
32 (0x20) is, of course a space and above that are 'normal' ASCII characters.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Aha! Now, don't you tell me I'm crazy!

No, this is not made in a PhotoShop! :)

Here's also the complete EEPROM from my radio. I hope it behaves the same when restored back onto an AR9x (I didn't check though).

I have a feeling this happens when I set up a NEW profile - I mean, I was experimenting with Trainer Profile 0 all the time. And I couldn't get this issue in my last few attempts. Then I switched to profile 1 and the first time I tried to put a name in, I got a strange behavior again. When playing with it, I filled the name with some (sporadic) letters, deleted them, and then it worked normally since. Then I switched to profile 2 - and the same story repeated. This time I took a photo and an EEPROM, so someone smart could have a look at it! :)

P.S. Though, I'm pretty sure this is not limited ONLY to filling the name field in for the first time. There were other cases when I couldn't edit a text that was already there. Well, I could edit, but the result was way too far from what I was trying to type in.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted a version on the first post that attempts to fix the trainer issue when using a SIM, and also the text editing.
For the SIM, you shouldn't need to set up a trainer profile, or select one in the model, and the protocol menu has a specific "Trainer Polarity" option.
For the text editing, some validation is done to replace any bytes with a value less than 32 (' ') with a space.

I've only included the SKY/AR9X version.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”