Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
andrewju

Re: Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

Post by andrewju »

Mike,

I'm confused with the polarity settings behavior. Previously (before the S6R-specific versions), I had External module configured to PPM / NEG and the trainer cable worked. The cable stopped working when I switched the polarity to POS. This was pretty much straight forward, at least I got used to it.

Then, with the S6R-compatible firmware, the cable didn't work regardless of the polarity set (either POS or NEG).

Now, with the latest build you posted, the "Trainer polarity" setting seem to have no effect on the simulator cable behavior at all as long as "External module" is enabled. If I set External module polarity to NEG, the cable works. If I set it to POS, it doesn't. So we're back to the initial behavior!!!
The only thing is that now there's this "Trainer polarity" line in the menu. It appears it starts to actually influence things as soon as External module is disabled. Then it seem to work fine (NEG = cable works, POS = cable doesn't work).
This is a bit confusing, although maybe it is intended to work that way...

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Again, I can't reproduce that. Whatever I do to the external module setting, the trainer polarity setting still controls the trainer output.
This is with the power switch OFF, power switched by plugging in the trainer jack plug.
I can understand there may be a problem as the same PWM internal peripheral channel is used by both the PPM of the external module and the PPM of the trainer output.
It may be the problem occurs if you disable then enable the external module while operating in SIM trainer output mode.

I'm looking at the trainer output on a 'scope.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hmm... May it be so that not all of the settings were applied when I first started the radio updated with the latest firmware? Maybe the data model was not updated until I actually updated the 'Trainer polarity' manually the first time?

Because right now everything works just as you explained. But I swear I had 'External module polarity' setting controlling my trainer cable behavior when I wrote my previous post...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've updated the test version on the first post to include the 9XR-PRO as well.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Thanks, Mike - have downloaded it but short of time right now so I'll try it later our time or tomorrow morning our time and report back.

Regards,
ozphoenix

ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike - As always, thank you for your support -- I can confirm that this new version:
03-Nov-2016 23:33
Fixes for SIM and text editing
SKY/AR9X and 9XR-PRO
works as expected with the Phoenix sim with the Tx unit initially powered off (it comes on when you insert the sim cable to the training port) and without the need for special settings in a 'trainer' profile -- that is, basically as in r218 before the s6r changes -- and the option to now set trainer POS or NEG is helpful - thanks.
I also confirmed that the s6r behaves as previously (notwithstanding any of the possible problems reported by all of us) and that I also found the 'Inverted' message on the calibration process :) :) :) (thanks)!
BTW - an observation and a curiosity question of a not-so-important nature - it seems that if you interrupt the calibration process by putting the s6r in the totally wrong position (that is, not the one requested at any given stage) and doing a MENU LONG, the s6r goes into a 'lock-up state' with the yellow/orange led on and cannot be removed from this condition by any step on the Tx, including a Ch12 self-test -- the only way to recover is a power-cycle of the s6r -- at least, this is as it seems to me - can you replicate this and is there a way to overcome this type of mistake (other than not doing it in the first place)?
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,

I haven't had time to check the S6R on a plane (and the weather isn't good anyway), but there are a couple of other colleagues who already tested the configuration and calibration routine on their models. They confirmed it works great! Thank you VERY MUCH!!!
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike B - did you have a chance to try to replicate this and find an explanation? I think the answer is: 'yeah...and so..??' but I was just curious if there was a simple change to give an 'out' instead of power-cycling it.

Regards, ozphoenix
ozphoenix wrote:Mike - As always, thank you for your support -- I can confirm that this new version:
BTW - an observation and a curiosity question of a not-so-important nature - it seems that if you interrupt the calibration process by putting the s6r in the totally wrong position (that is, not the one requested at any given stage) and doing a MENU LONG, the s6r goes into a 'lock-up state' with the yellow/orange led on and cannot be removed from this condition by any step on the Tx, including a Ch12 self-test -- the only way to recover is a power-cycle of the s6r -- at least, this is as it seems to me - can you replicate this and is there a way to overcome this type of mistake (other than not doing it in the first place)?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just tried this. I did get it into the state with the yellow LED on solid, but if I put the Rx into the position it was looking for, and waited long enough (5 to 10 seconds), eventually the yellow LED flashed. So, it seems you can complete the calibration process, but I would prefer to complete it 'normally'.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Ah, ok - so, patience is a virtue after all :)) I agree -- 'normal' completion is better than 'interference'. Thanks for checking and responding - I'll be more patient in future.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

General information:
It is possible that early Taranis transmitters don't work with the S6R. I have a report that someone with an early Taranis can bind, but no servos operate. I can confirm this using my prototype Taranis, and also an early production Taranis.
Looking inside, the XJT module of the first two is labelled "D16HV2", I haven't opened up my production Taranis to check.
My prototype Plus works fine. The XJT in that is labelled "D16HV3".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

MikeB wrote:Just to improve user friendliness. New users won't know that PXX is needed for a XJT!

Mike.
Mike,

In eepesky, the drop down box on the model file for the protocol tab still shows PXX instead of XJT - is that worth adding to the list of 'next time I'm in it' for changing also?

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Thanks, the source code has already been changed to XJT.
I posted a test version of eepskye here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676#p65894, on 10-Nov-2016 that should have this change in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Ok, thanks - got it now and am using it - with XJT in place :)
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,

What are your thoughts about releasing a new version with the latest changes included? The last official release of ersky9x was back in January (a loooong time ago!). There were a lot of great changes since then, and I believe many of them are ready to be included in the next official release...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, there are a few features that would be nice on the next release, like the trainer over sbus for example ;) :D

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm trying to get a release done. Typically, what happens is I think I'm ready for a release, then something 'needs' to be added, so I start adding that, and so it goes on.
I have to stop to get a release done, which is why if I do a release about now, I won't be able to fully integrate the trainer over SBUS. If I start on that before a release, I'm sure something else will come up (like AFHDS2A telemetry over MULTI just has) that will then delay a release again!
I have just done a Github commit and merge of the next branch into the master branch, so should be ready for a release.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, what about making the test versions available on er9x.com as well?
Thanks
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

I don't think test versions should be published on er9x.com. It's going to be too messy. Even now er9x.com is perceived as "complicated" by some. :)

I would suggest to try and make the releases more frequent. For example, a feature is added and published in the 'testing' thread. If there are no critical errors reported within a week (2 weeks maximum!), then a new version is released to public with that feature in it. One may say this increases a risk that something might be broken. But on the other hand, there will be a much wider audience testing this new firmware. So issues will be detected (and reported) faster. And this should speed up the development process in general.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You definitely got a point there :) But I do believe if the test files were also available, and well identified as TEST, the same wider audience would give the new features a try BEFORE they get released. I think there are more chances people see the test files if they are also in there..
Test and release words look very different, even to me.. :mrgreen:

By the way, Anyone in here that could give er9x.com a face lift? That is, if Mike would agree with it, of course.. :)
I wouldn't know how to do it. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Well, it's an extra work for Mike to publish each test version (AND the description) on er9x.com. It's also an extra complexity for someone new who comes to er9x.com looking for a firmware for his radio.

The way I see it is that those of us looking for the 'bleeding edge' of technology will anyway get to this forum and find the test version they need (and also read related conversations, limitations and precautions, if any). Others will just get the latest 'stable' version from er9x.com. I think this is perfectly fine.

It's just that the "stable" is, perhaps, a bit too stable the way things are now. Here's a real life example:
Back in April, there was a "Pot no.3 bug" reported. Mike did a brilliant job to locate and correct the issue. A test version with the fix was available in just a few days after the bug was reported! And it was confirmed the fix works as expected. But I think that fix STILL didn't make it into an official release (although even Mike noted this bug should be considered critical)! And that situation is veeery wrong, in my opinion...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I agree with you on everything else ;) but I still have a different opinion about posting the test versions in the er9x page.
More people would test the firmware being aware that is a test version, as long as it was well identified as test version.

You said before and I quote:
...then a new version is released to public with that feature in it. One may say this increases a risk that something might be broken.
I think this is exactly what Mike has been trying to avoid. If that is the case, as it seems to be, I fully agree. :)

So, no doubt that by having the test versions on the er9x page there would be more chances of them being tested by more people. There is an alternative to posting the test files directly at the er9x page though, and it wouldn't mean more work for Mike. There is a section called "Useful Links". A link to the Test Versions thread could be posted there, so people could find them easily..
I have just checked the amount of downloads of the latest Ersky9x test file, 473 to be precise, and one thing I am amazed with (I shouldn't be surprised really ;) ), is the so little amount of bug reports. This could quite safely qualify this test version as a serious candidate to a release, and it also shows that ErSky9x test versions are safe.
I actually only use test versions and except very rare and special controlled situations, never had a situation where my model was in danger.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

but I still have a different opinion about posting the test versions in the er9x page.
Sure! That's what forums are for, right? :)
There is an alternative to posting the test files directly at the er9x page though, and it wouldn't mean more work for Mike. There is a section called "Useful Links". A link to the Test Versions thread could be posted there, so people could find them easily..
This is a good idea! Adding a static link to the test versions threads does not require regular efforts to keep it up to date with every new compilation. And it will allow people to find relevant test threads.
I have just checked the amount of downloads of the latest Ersky9x test file, 473 to be precise, and one thing I am amazed with (I shouldn't be surprised really ;) ), is the so little amount of bug reports. This could quite safely qualify this test version as a serious candidate to a release, and it also shows that ErSky9x test versions are safe.
This is exactly my point! If it's there in the test versions thread, and there are no critical issues reported for a week or two - let's push it to "stable"! Isn't it better to release that version to everybody, rather than only to those looking at 'test versions' threads?
Bugs? Yes, any software may have bugs, despite all the testing efforts. So even if we test it for a year, it may still have bugs in it. If we are concerned about bugs, the 1-2 weeks "grace period" should filter most of the obvious / critical issues. And other issues will be identified (and could be fixed) much quicker if the software will be used by everybody.

I actually only use test versions
I also use test versions. And anyone who wants a change made sometime this year also HAS to use a test version. This is exactly the downside of the slow release cycle.
Ok, you're an exception - you'll always use the latest test versions, maybe even those not yet posted on the Net! :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm working on a release for now!
Meanwhile, back on the S6R, I've added a copy of my "SportSet" program to the first post, together with instructions for use. This now also handles the STK connected to the S6R, and allows you to set a servo direction to "Off". It is still in development, but may be useful if you use er9x, or use a Taranis with openTx and don't want to upgrade the firmware to be able to run the LUA script.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I also use test versions. And anyone who wants a change made sometime this year also HAS to use a test version. This is exactly the downside of the slow release cycle.
I often would like to use the latest code but I also like my private modifications. So I need to use the source files and compile according to my modifications.
With "only " the compiled code available, I'm out of the game most of the time.

I would be happy with releases in a one or two month cycle.
(As I'm not a C++ programmer, it's always a hard job to get my modifications into the new code ;( )

Reinhard
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

Post by jhsa »

Ok, we now agree on everything ;) isn't that great? ;) :mrgreen: ;)
andrewju wrote: Ok, you're an exception - you'll always use the latest test versions, maybe even those not yet posted on the Net! :)
Sometimes when there is something very specific, for example some possible bad bug, Mike might send some very specific firmware.
This is the exception I have mentioned before where one could not fly with that specific version .
In my case, the very few times it happened, the cause of the problem was faulty hardware most of the times. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

MikeB wrote:I've added a copy of my "SportSet" program to the first post, together with instructions for use.
Mike,
Is there a way, by chance, to use SportSet without an STK ?
ReSt wrote:I need to use the source files and compile according to my modifications.
With "only " the compiled code available, I'm out of the game most of the time.
I don't think the release cycle will affect source code availability in any way.
Well, unless Mike wants to change something in this regard.
ReSt wrote:I would be happy with releases in a one or two month cycle.
Well, this is also an option! Though, I think after all it will be related to new features / bug fixes available, and not to a specific time frame.
Anyway, it's up to Mike to decide. Something tells me he knows how to do it best! :)
jhsa wrote:Ok, we now agree on everything ;) isn't that great? ;) :mrgreen: ;)
Yuppie!!! :mrgreen:
jhsa wrote:Sometimes when there is something very specific, for example some possible bad bug, Mike might send some very specific firmware.
This is the exception I have mentioned before where one could not fly with that specific version .
In my case, the very few times it happened, the cause of the problem was faulty hardware most of the times. :)
This is very well understood, João!
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

andrewju wrote:
ReSt wrote:I would be happy with releases in a one or two month cycle.
Well, this is also an option! Though, I think after all it will be related to new features / bug fixes available, and not to a specific time frame.
Don't take that timeframe to important. I meant "not more often than.. "

So it's probably my fault when I'm having problems with the downloads. I'm used to make a "git clone" without any further selections on the clone window . Trying the selection "Branch = next" or "branch=master" did not get me really happy. Sometimes I get the old unchanged stuff and sometimes I get new stuff, that doesn't compile. So I assume, that the source code on github is not always in a consistent state.

Anyone who can enlighten me how to get a cloned download that contains the "latest" fixes and nothing, that has been begun and not yet finished and therefor doesn't compile ??

Reinhard
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Uhh... My experience with git is limited to step-by-step guides available on the Net. I'm far from being an expert there, unfortunately...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

andrewju wrote: Mike,
Is there a way, by chance, to use SportSet without an STK ?
I don't think so. The receiver polls for SPort packets and the STK is needed to handle the timing of the response.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”