Switch Upgrades

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Switch Upgrades

Post by MikeB »

While working on the 9XR-PRO, which is basically a SKY board in a 9XR case, I've been looking at the possibility of changing some of the 2-way switches into 3-way switches. The 'PRO has a spare analog input, compared to the original SKY board, that I'm using to provide a 3-position switch (a 6-position switch is likely to be possible as well). This input comes from leaving the read-write signal to the LCD wired to ground, thus freeing a processor pin.
Since the reading the analog inputs and writing to the LCD are done at different times, we can use this pin on the SKY board, setting it to analog input when needed, and driving it out low for the LCD. As long as the analog input either provides a reasonable resistance, or connects to ground there is no electrical conflict. I've changed the processor output to be 'open drain' so it never drives high.
I have this working, just needs a 3-way switch and 3 resistors for the SKY board, just the switch and 1 resistor for the 'PRO.

One problem is where to mount the switch?

The solution I've implemented is to replace the ELE switch. This leaves us with a spare digital input. So, we can replace another of the switches with a 3-way switche. This second, 3-way switch uses the existing digital inputs, the one it was using and the one no longer used by the ELE switch. So we end up with 3, 3-position switches (including the original one).

We have another spare digital input (also DAC1 output but that isn't really needed). This, combined with another switch could give a fourth 3-position switch, mounted in place of another 2-way switch.

The only problem I can see with the firmware is current switch settings. If, for example, you are using ELE for a function, and you change the ELE switch to use the new 3 position connection, the existing switch setting will no longer work and you will need to edit it to use something different.

This is all configured in a menu (RADIO SETUP2), and does not require any EEPROM changes.
So, what you get is an option to change the ELE switch to a 3-POS or a 6-POS (6-POS not yet implemented).
If the ELE switch is no longer the standard 2-POS switch, then you can choose to use the original ELE signal to make either the RUD or THR switches 3-POS.
On the other side, the 'spare' input, that could be the second DAC output, may be assigned to either the AIL or the GEA switch to make them 3-POS.

The menu initially offers:
ELE switch 2-POS
GEA switch 2-POS
AIL switch 2-POS

If either the GEA or AIL switch are change to 3-POS, the other option is removed from the menu.
If you change the ELE to 3-POS (or 6-POS), then you get two extra options:
RUD switch 2-POS
THR switch 2-POS

If either of these are change to 3-POS, the other option is removed.

So, you do whatever hardware changes you need, then just tell the firmware what you have done!

I still need to knock up some instructions for the hardware changes.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

jhsa

Re: Switch Upgrades

Post by jhsa »

Thank you for this Mike.. It certainly increases the value of these radios even more..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This is the wiring you will need for the ELE switch to be a 3-POS switch.
Ele3Pos.png
Ele3Pos.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 21540 times
I found that resistor R22 is not fitted on the main board. This routes the spare analog input to the processor. I added a 100 ohm resistor, but a 0 ohm (piece of wire) resistor should be OK.

J31 on the SKY board (REV 3) is the 2-row, 16-way, 0.1 inch pitch connector just above the processor. On the REV B board, it is a single row on a finer pitch but the connections are the same. Pin 7 is labelled LCD_WR.

Only fit this once you have flashed r205 or later of the firmware (not yet released). I will post a test version of this soon.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

One of the main differences between the Ersky9x/SKY board and the Ersky9x/Taranis is the greater amount of switches available with the Taranis. It is nice to have more switches to trigger the voice readouts of the telemetry. This switch mod will definitely narrow the difference. What about the switches potentially available through the ATtiny?

Paul
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can look to add something there as well if you need more than 4 3-way switches. The 'PRO doesn't have the atTiny, it has a 'proper' RTC chip.

I already (version 06 on the 'Tiny) pass back three logic signals from the 'Tiny. Do you need more than 4, 3-way switches?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted a test version on the Test versions post.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

Taranis has 6, 3-way switches so I would like to have the same amount on the Sky9x so I can use it as a backup for my Taranis. If you can change the switch designations to the same as Taranis that would be even better. I realize that would be a problem for backwards compatibility so just designating the new switches the same as Taranis would be a good compromise.

Paul
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The taranis has far too many 3 way switches.. they exagerated a little bit :)

João

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 9X only has 7 switches, to the Taranis 8, and it has 3 pots to the Taranis 2 + 2 sliders.
Where would you put the eighth switch? Would you replace one of the pots?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

Yes, I would replace one of the pots. I don't find that I use all of the pots. The pot could be replaced with a switch and resistors but then would have to have some custom switches programmed to simulate a switch. I have replaced SE and SG on my Taranis with momentary-on-momentary switches to allow more voice announcements. I would replace/add two switches on the 9x with those switches for the same reason. I might also see if I can relocate the 2 pots to the same positions as the Taranis sliders. I find the slider positions easier to use.

Paul
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Makes sense to provide an option to allow either a 3-POS or a 6-POS switch in place of one of the pots. I'll think about some code to replace the the pot beside the ELE switch with such a switch.
On the 9X with the SKY board, I can allocate the spare inputs on the co-processor to provide another 3-POS switch. This will get you to 6 of them!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Just a thought here. As it is now possible to add 3-way (and more!!!) switches, would it be possible to incorporate a facility to add on the sliders as used in the Tranis? I for one would have no problem physically modifying the case to make them look 'factory produced', but am clueless as to what firmware changes would need to be made.
If, and I say if it is possible, that would be absolutely amazing.
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

If you don't need more pots then it is just a matter of relocating 2 of the pots at the top of the radio to the sides. The holes where the pots were could be covered over or a new switch installed.

Paul
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The pots are 270 degrees. Normally for slides they would be say 80 to 90 degree pots right? Is not very easy to turn a pot 270º with just a finger I would say. Or then install a real slider pot..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

We have the extra analog input, although it is wired to allow use as a switch rather that a pot. You would need to remove a couple of resitors to use it for a pot. The biggest problem would be fitting an extra analog input into the firmware, without upsetting existing settings or the EEPROM structure.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Thanks for the reply Mike. Sounds like it would have to be a serious re-write to accomplish it. Not to worry, was worth asking! :P
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It's not impossible. It could be done, but just look odd. Currently, when you select a mix source, you get a list of possibilities. These start with the 4 sticks, then the 3 pots, then HALF, FULL, CYC1,2,3,Trainer inputs, channels etc. Ideally, a 4th pot would fit after P3. I could just add it on the end of the list. Alternatively, I could try to do some mapping as I do with the switches to make them appear in one order, when they are in fact in a different order.
This might be worthwhile since I have a version of ersky9x to run on the Taranis. That version has a different order for the mix sources as there are 4 pots (2 pots, 2 sliders) so a model from the Taranis EEPROM is not quite the same as on the SKY board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Well it certainly wouldn't look odder than me! hahahaha!!!

How many pints of your favourite tipple will that cost then? lol!!!

If it can be done, I will finally have one redundant immaculate Futaba T10C transmitter for sale .... heh heh!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've tweaked the operation of the 3POS option as a mix source. It is now a "physical switch" source. You have a sub-option to choose which physical switch to use. It automatically sorts out between 2-position and 3-position switches.
I've also found 3 bits in the mix structure so I have added this to er9x as well.

Just need to choose a good name instead of 3POS, and it has to fit in 4 characters!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

since we have ID0,1,2. why not call it PS0,1,2? PS stands for Physical Switch or Position Switch.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:I've tweaked the operation of the 3POS option as a mix source. It is now a "physical switch" source. You have a sub-option to choose which physical switch to use. It automatically sorts out between 2-position and 3-position switches.
I've also found 3 bits in the mix structure so I have added this to er9x as well.

Just need to choose a good name instead of 3POS, and it has to fit in 4 characters!

Mike.
Mike is this in the latest test version? I can not visualize what you mean, so I can't give any idea.. I need to understand the following line first..
You have a sub-option to choose which physical switch to use. It automatically sorts out between 2-position and 3-position switches.
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

So, after a good night sleep. Will the firmware detect the 2 or 3 position switch automatically?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I haven't posted a test version with this yet. Simple idea, when you select "3POS" (or whatever its new name is) you get an extra option to select a switch. The default switch is IDx, so this works exactly as before (i.e. select 3POS and ID0,1,2 control the mix.
However, in the extra option, you get to choose ANY switch IDx, THR, RUD, ELE, AIL, GEA, TRN. The selected switch then controls the mix. If you have replaced a 2 position switch with a 3 position switch, this will be recognised. A 2 position switch gives a source value either -1024 or +1024 while a 3 position switch uses -1024, 0 and +1024.

I should have a test version to post a bit later today.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thank you Mike. I hope my switches arrive soon..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Test version posted that allows all switches as an option when 3POS is selected as a mix source.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You mean we can select 2 way switches as well? How? we have to select 3POS and then the 2 way switch?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

My screen shows '3POS IDx' but nothing is 'live' and nothing can be changed? I assume unless the new 3-way switch is fitted that would be right?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Go right down to the bottom of the mix menu (or up once!). When 3POS is selected, there should be an extra menu item that is the switch you want. I added the "IDx" to show what you have chosen.
I agree, it would be better if you can select the switch on the same line as 3POS. Due to the way the code is written for this menu, it wasn't as easy as it might be to do that, so, for now, I put the option at the bottom.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Ahh So! Got it. Down below the 'Slow Up' option for servos. Thanks Mike :)

Just awaiting delivery of the resistors to throw in a second 3-Pos switch I cannibalised from an old JR X-347 radio. Hopefully will have them tomorrow and can get that little job done.
Last edited by RCHH on Tue May 20, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, assuming that the 3POS will be used for ID0,1,2, and considering you want to find a new name for the switch entry on the mixer's source, I will say "SWCH" as an example. So, here is the idea..
When scrolling on the mixer sources you will find SWCH. On selecting it will open a popup window with all the options. Select one, and this option will replace the SWCH name on the mix. 3POS or IDx (maybe better) will of course be one of the options, as it would be the existing 3 position switch..
The thing is, You must use different characters for the switches and sticks.

This is just an idea. trying to put all together and keep it easy to understand. At the moment (I know that you said "for now" :D ), the switch selection at the bottom of the mixer menu is not very user friendly ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”