Switch Upgrades

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Switch Upgrades

Post by MikeB »

Having been looking at adding 3-position switches and extra switches to a 9X, I've just realised we can probably get THREE extra digital inputs on the SKY board (and 9XR-PRO).
These are 3 of the LCD data lines. 5 are already used to handle some of the push buttons, but the other 3 are unused. To use as a digital input it will need to be switched to ground via a 3K9 resistor.

It will take a bit of time to get this added, as I will need to provide the menu functions to make use of them. I should be able to do something similar to the changes I'm doing on er9x, where I allocate the function of each input.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Yes please!
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A test version to be posted soon starts support for extra switch inputs. I will need to rationalise how this all works along with existing switch upgrade options to provide maximum flexibility.

Hardware details:
Use the three LCD lines D2, D6 and D7. You can find them on the expansion connector holes, together with a GND connection (pin 1, the square pad). Wire any or all of these through a 4K7 resistor (one resistor on each connection) and a switch to ground.
I'll post a test version soon, where you will have hardware options for PB1 and PB2. These options will be:
NONE, EXT1, EXT2 and EXT3 for both SKY and 'PRO, while SKY will also have EXT4, EXT5 and EXT6.
EXT1 is D2 on the LCD connector.
EXT2 is D6 on the LCD connector.
EXT3 is D7 on the LCD connector.
EXT4, 5 and 6 are on the co-processor connector, I've still to test these.
The are two versions of the SKY board, the original REVB board and the REV3 board. The co-processor header is 14 way on the REVB board and 16 way on the REV3 board.
REVB:
EXT4 is pin 5 of J27
EXT5 is pin 6 of J27
EXT6 is pin 7 of J27
GND is pin 14.

REV3:
EXT4 is pin 7 of J27
EXT5 is pin 8 of J27
EXT6 is pin 9 of J27
GND is pin 16.

In both cases, just add a switch (no resistors needed) between the "EXTx" pin and GND.

As soon as you change PB1 or PB2 to anything other than NONE, they will appear in the list of available switches anywhere you may use a switch.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

So, resistors only needed for EXT1/2/3?
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Correct.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

To allow flexibility for switch upgrades I'll change the hardware options to make all possible inputs available everywhere.
There will still be the constraint that if you want a 6-position switch it will need to replace the ELE switch, unless I can think of a way to handle it elsewhere.

So, the 'spare' analog input may be used to make the ELE switch a 3-pos or a 6-pos switch.
In addition each of the switches and two additional push buttons may select the source of the 'extra' input needed.

ELE: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ANA, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
AIL: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ELE, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
GEA: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ELE, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
RUD: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ELE, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
THR: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ELE, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
PB1: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ELE, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
(EXT4, 5 and 6 only available on the SKY board, not the 'PRO, ELE is the ELE switch signal that becomes available if the ELE switch uses the analog input)

ELE will have the extra option, if analog input, of ANA3, AN6A, AN6B.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If I understand, now even to make the ELE switch a 3 position you don't have to pull pins and solder a shunt on that resistor that is missing, right? Just solder a 4k7 resistor to the 3rd pin of the switch and a wire from the resistor to one of the EXT Pads. I think it is even easier.. this should all go on that diagram on the other thread if possible. What a great flexibility.. but the hw menu really has to be hidden :)
Thank you Mike..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Done that test version yet then? :mrgreen: :twisted: :D :lol: Only joking! Looking forward to having a go at this addition.
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It's r216 in fact!

If you have already upgraded the ELE switch you will need to re-configure it to "ANA" in the new options in the hardware menu:

ELE: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ANA, 6PSA, 6PSB, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
AIL: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ELE, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
GEA: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ELE, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
RUD: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ELE, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
THR: NONE EXT1, EXT2, EXT3, DAC1, ELE, EXT4, EXT5, EXT6
(EXT4, 5 and 6 only available on the SKY board, not the 'PRO, ELE is the ELE switch signal that becomes available if the ELE switch uses the analog input)

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
chaz4jc

Post by chaz4jc »

Brand new 9XR pro arrived last month, but I am just getting around to planning hacks/mods. I make a living doing process automation for HVAC process controls and motor controls so I do fairly well with a soldering iron and schematic drawings. I have been reading this thread for a couple of days now and have a fair idea of the available options. I am hoping that if I outline what I want to achieve that I can get some feedback for schematics, procedures and software version.

On the analog side I will put a 6-position selector in the hole where P1 is now and wire the P1 input to it.

I will mount Arduino slider switches on the back/sides (TBD) of the radio and use multi-pole switches to select P2 and P3 inputs between sliders and 3-position switches mounted in the holes for P2 and P3. If all I am going to do with these devices is move an output or select modes in Cleanflight is there any need to map selections for them into the software?

For the switches I always the Throttle cut, Gear, and Trainer switches as they are, but I will swap mounting positions for Trainer and T-cut purely for ergonomics.

I would like to have 3-position switches in ELE, RUD, and AIL positions selectable in the software for mixer and dual rates. This is where I need the most help/advice.

I will also add a bluetooth module internally, and mount an OrangeRX 410X reciever internally to use for wireless trainer function. I will use a multi-pole switch to swap it with the Futaba training port PPM input and power the receiver and another multi-pole in for the trainer switch to put it in bind mode.

I would like to have all of this drawn up and planned out before I start so I will only have to crack the case once. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hi Charlie, welcome to the forum..
Have you seen this page? :)

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5659

Also, trainer over bluetooth is being developed right now. In case you are interested, please read the last few pages from the the thread linked below:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40&start=1980

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
chaz4jc

Post by chaz4jc »

Thanks for the links! I have read some of the schematic drawings link and will read the rest. What I am unclear on is how to make 3-position inputs out of ELE, RUD,and AIL inputs and how to set them up in software.

I am interested in trainer over Bluetooth, that is why I will go ahead and install an HC-05 while I have the case open. It looks like I will have to wait until I buy another 9XR Pro to use it, unless there is a way to use one in my old 9XR. The reason I am using the Orx 410X for wireless trainer is that all of my family fliers and a good portion of our flying clubs use spektrum radios of some form. I already have one installed in my 9XR and it works well using my DX7s as slave. I am also drawing up schematics to make a dongle to plug into any Futaba training port and use any brand of receiver with CPPM out as a trainer link. That will further help with cross-platform compatibility at the club.

Charlie
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

chaz4jc wrote:Thanks for the links! I have read some of the schematic drawings link and will read the rest. What I am unclear on is how to make 3-position inputs out of ELE, RUD,and AIL inputs and how to set them up in software.
Just start reading this thread since the beginning.. Right on the first post there is a lot of information. But read the rest of the thread. Only 8 pages I think ;)
I am interested in trainer over Bluetooth, that is why I will go ahead and install an HC-05 while I have the case open. It looks like I will have to wait until I buy another 9XR Pro to use it, unless there is a way to use one in my old 9XR.
At the moment the trainer over BT is only available on radios that run ersky9x. That means the 9x radio with skyboard and the 9XR-PRO. The old 9XR runs er9x by default. So, trainer over BT is, as I said before, being developed by Mike now and it is only available on test versions of ersky9x.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

chaz4jc wrote:On the analog side I will put a 6-position selector in the hole where P1 is now and wire the P1 input to it.Charlie
To use this, you will (currently) need to decode the switch position using logical switches. I've only got direct firmware support for replacing the ELE switch with a 6-Position switch.
chaz4jc wrote:I would like to have 3-position switches in ELE, RUD, and AIL positions selectable in the software for mixer and dual rates. This is where I need the most help/advice.Charlie
Replace the switches with 3-position ones, then wire the extra contact through a 4K7 resistor to one of the three places of the expansion connector pads D2, D6 and D7. These are referred to as EXT1, EXT2 and EXT3 in the firmware. On the hardware menu then just select EXT1, EXT2 or EXT3 for each of the switches.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Would the new 9xtreme board upgrade (for 9x radio) be an option for chaz4jc to consider also ?

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Only if he had a 9x radio.. As far as we know he has a 9XR-PRO and an old 9XR??

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
chaz4jc

Post by chaz4jc »

Yes, just 2 old 9XRs, one stock and one heavily customized, and the new 9XR-Pro, but I will probably order another Pro next time they go on sale. On my old 9XR I used a 5-position rotary switch and 4 1K1 resistors to give me 5 fairly evenly spaced positions from -100 to +100 when it is used as a source in the mixer (after calibrating the input in the setup menu). I use these in Cleanflight to trigger different modes by giving each mode a range- this is all I need because I only use Naze32 controllers. It fits in the place where P1 was quite nicely with the removal of some of the plastic webs around where the 5K pot was. I have not opened my 9XRpro yet, but I don't think the values of P1,2,3 have changed, so could i do the same thing and not bother with identifying it in the firmware?

I buy the 5-position here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130874323447?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

and a six-position:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130874333769?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

That way I could use the spare ana connection to do a 3-position for the ELE switch and use the points you named to do the other 2, or maybe 3. If I select ANA for the ELE switch where do I go to make it 3-position? Can I still use ELE with RUD to make a 3-position, and AIL with DAC1 with no resistors?

Also, can someone please identify which pins I need to purchase to put wires into the empty plug spaces? I have the crimper to do it with and the pins are available on E-bay.

Thanks,

Charlie
chaz4jc

Post by chaz4jc »

jhsa wrote:My 3 pos switch is still working fine.
Today ordered some jst plugs for connecting the bluetooth module to the mainboard, thanks Brent for letting me know which ones are used ;), and will be able to put the Ele switch pin back on the connector. It is now empty because I moved it to the other side of the connector when replacing the switch. Then will have the possibility of replacing one more 2 position switch :) will see if I might need another.. the switches i ordered still didn't arrive after more than 3 weeks..

João

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Which JST plugs are used on the 9XR-pro board and where did you order them from?

Thanks

Charlie
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

For the bluetooth? I think that was I ordered. It was a while ago but I believe it was some 4 pin connectors with a 2mm pitch..
I ordered from ebay. Somewhere in China :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kaos

Post by kaos »

I have been looking at switch upgrades for a long time.
I wonder if a arduino promini/Uno can out put a signal that the pot port can accept. I have seen many video showing arduino program control TFT touch screen with different kinds of control panel.
If arduino can do that, We can just switch one pot with alduino and there will be endless combination of touch switch for different usage. One can have 3,4,5 ,10~ touch key buttons (each button can be program to have label) to perform whatever function you want. Even better, just add an auto switch on/off plug like the Jr trainer plug, when the arduino panel is plugged in the pot circuit is disconnected and using the arduino control when it is unplugged, the pot function just like it was.
The arduino touch screen control I saw can even change different pages of menu to do different kind of things. I think the screen scheme info is stored in the SD on the back of the TFT. I bought a 2.8" TFT arduino screen with SD card slot or just 10.00 a while ago.
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

kaos wrote:I have been looking at switch upgrades for a long time.
I wonder if a arduino promini/Uno can out put a signal that the pot port can accept. I have seen many video showing arduino program control TFT touch screen with different kinds of control panel.
If arduino can do that, We can just switch one pot with alduino and there will be endless combination of touch switch for different usage. One can have 3,4,5 ,10~ touch key buttons (each button can be program to have label) to perform whatever function you want. Even better, just add an auto switch on/off plug like the Jr trainer plug, when the arduino panel is plugged in the pot circuit is disconnected and using the arduino control when it is unplugged, the pot function just like it was.
The arduino touch screen control I saw can even change different pages of menu to do different kind of things. I think the screen scheme info is stored in the SD on the back of the TFT. I bought a 2.8" TFT arduino screen with SD card slot or just 10.00 a while ago.
Arduino could generate a signal that the pot port can accept.
Still, please note that the expected signal is nothing else than a voltage. It is an analog signal (and not a digital one). The value of the voltage in fact informs the software about the position of the pot (or of a switch if a 2, 3 or 6 positions switch is installed).
I imagine that arduino could generate about 30 (or even more) different voltage levels that could be recognised by the firmware on the Tx.
Question: Is there really a need having more than 6 pos?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: Replace the switches with 3-position ones, then wire the extra contact through a 4K7 resistor to one of the three places of the expansion connector pads D2, D6 and D7. These are referred to as EXT1, EXT2 and EXT3 in the firmware. On the hardware menu then just select EXT1, EXT2 or EXT3 for each of the switches.

Mike.
Mike, a user on the Ar9x thread just had trouble assigning the EXT to the PB1 and PB2.
There are 3 different names involved.. The real name of the pin, the name you assign to each pin in the fw, and the switch name itself.. This lead to some confusion, because someone connects a switch to D6 on the board but then this is called EXT2 in the firmware.. See what I mean? ;)

So is there any reason you can't call it the same name as written on the board?
Something like:
PB1 is assigned to D6
PB2 is assigned to D7
This is much easier to understand because we DID CONNECT the switches to D6 and D7 and we wouldn't have to guess what D6 and 7, or any other pin, are called in the firmware..

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This is possible, but, as always, has a "knock on" effect for me. I used EXTx because it is a different connection on different hardware. The 9Xtreme uses the trim switch connections on the main board for extra switch inputs, so these would need a different name. This is easy (ish) to do on the radio as each version is compiled specifically, but eepskye needs to 'know' the radio type and configure the drop down combo boxes differently. This takes more time to do then the changes for the radio.

I'll have a look.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, that is why I asked if there was any reason why you did it this way..
One thing to consider though is that people that buy these addon boards probably never did any kind of mod to their radios. Having the right names for the connections will for sure make their (and everybody else's) life easier when adding hardware.
At the moment we need a translation list like the one you provided on this thread.
You probably would have to make a translation list for the 9Xtreme because different pins might be connected as EXTx. It's always difficult to know what is what..

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kaos

Post by kaos »

mstrens wrote: Arduino could generate a signal that the pot port can accept.
Still, please note that the expected signal is nothing else than a voltage. It is an analog signal (and not a digital one). The value of the voltage in fact informs the software about the position of the pot (or of a switch if a 2, 3 or 6 positions switch is installed).
I imagine that arduino could generate about 30 (or even more) different voltage levels that could be recognized by the firmware on the Tx.
Question: Is there really a need having more than 6 pos?
the idea is use one 'switch' for all models and any number of switches for those functions don't require flipping a stick without looking at tx, eg. multirotor fly mode, light on/off, dropping bomb.........
I was going to switch upgrade too. but found out you put a 4 position switch in one model than you want a 6 position switch and you have to change the hard ware which is not very easy, people burn up their boards by accident. and for mutlirotor fly mode, rotary switch is not very good to change fly mode. With arduino TFT, you do it once, if you need to change number of switches, just pull out a different number button screen and you don't need to relabel them on hardware, you just use a different screen display with different button label on it. each model may need a different label for the same multiposition switch. with TFT, you can change the label very easy. If aruduino TFT can out put a pot signal, that will solve these recurrent issue/hardware work. and you can use it for your diferent er9x transmitter as long as they have the same programmability of the firmware. only need to do one time hardware mod on one pot for plugging in the TFT. WE can preprogram a few mostly used multi position/button screen and user can fill out the button label for each screen/button. I think that sd card on the back of TFT serve that purpose. When using it, just choose the one best for that model/fly, can be from 2 position to 30 position (as long as you have big enough screen for 30 touch button ;) ) with appropriate label. The rest of them will be done in the tx as usual. 30 different output from arduino will satisfy anyone's wildest needs. ;)
I bought this TFT and one for the guy who knows arduino programming, but he could not do it any more just like I dropped out form here for a yr and half. If someone is interested and knows arduino programing I will be glad to send him a TFT/arduino to work with together. I just don't have the skill to do arduino from the scratch and what library to look for. My understanding is there are many screen control library already out there.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If using an analog input on the SKY board or the AR9X board, this should work:
Ele3Pos1.png
Ele3Pos1.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 12999 times
Other resistor values will also work, the main requirement is R5 should be about a quarter of R6, or slightly less, and neither resistor should exceed 10K.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, is there not a resistor missing here between the middle pin and Ground?
I mean, like this the middle pin will be at 3.3V when on ID1 when it should be at half of that? 1.65V? or am I missing something?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, I've simplified it for the SKY board. We started from the 9XR-PRO that had two resistors already fitted, and I copied the circuit to start with. The analog to digital input value ranges from 0 to 4095 (0-3.3V). The firmware has two thresholds, at 490 and 1500. As long as the input value is below 490 with the switch one way, between 490 and 1500 with the switch the other way and above 1500 with the switch in the middle, all will work. With the resistors I've specified we get 0, 950 and 4095, so should work correctly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks, now I understand

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I am going to try this... I have a couple of 3way switches lying around... thanks for the post.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”