Switch Upgrades

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
jhsa

Re: Switch Upgrades

Post by jhsa »

But that is only on the new test version, I guess? and only if using the new voice switches, which are only 2 at the moment. ;) Still testing :)
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

Does that mean when assigning the voice files on the screen if I've named it expo-on then that is what will appear on screen in the voice switch menu? and are there any banned characters. spaces , punctuation etc or will it accept anything?

and do you want a volunteer to rename all the files in the voice pack.. plus I've added some of my own.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I already did that on my pack ;) they are all renamed. only can't release it while this is not completely tested.. I might post it a bit later..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

you are a star jhsa.. feel free to post the renamed files.. I don't care if it's not tested.. on the other hand as I've done my own files anyway..

OK 6 pos switch works fine with R22 bridged.. The only problem that just might enter is my modes jump around. On my KK board I have 5 aux switch options.I use 4 of them SL,SLmix,acro and alarm.. OK so source SWCH ELE then I've tried every possible combination of the 6pos1,2,3, etc AND !6POS 1,2,3 and get some odd results.. for a start using the positive values I don't get 5 switch positions registering on the KK board.. I get 2 positions that read the same and not 5,6 either.. OK so I tested all the !6pos options in the Switch box and get the following.bear in mind the numbers are the 1-5 positions as noted on the KK screen.whilst moving the 6pos switch from 0-5

!6pos0 3,1,2,4,5,5,
!6pos1 1,3,2,4,5,5,
!6pos2 1,1,3,4,5,5,
!6pos3 1,1,2,3,5,5,
!6pos4 1,1,2,4,3,5,
!6pos5 1,1,2,4,5,3,

Now I can't for the life of me see a pattern here..As I want to use the first 4 positions as my modes anything that gives me 1,1 to start is useless. the ones that end 5,5 could well be 5,6, if I had a 6th option.. can't check that with the KK board but I do get a different output on the main screen that shows the stick movements, so I would presume so. Now with the KK board as I can program ANY position of the aux switch to be ANY of the 4 modes doesn't matter that it jumps around. However I'm waiting on a naza lite to arrive and that has 5 modes.. well 3 with a failsafe between each. so gps attitude,failsafe,attitude,failsafe,manual. The position of these can't be changed and I would assume they will be linear values..soooooo will it work.. ha the 6 million $ question. can't see till it arrives.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I can't upload them at the moment. Will do it later :)
The user files you can rename the way you like as long as you use 8 characters. The system files you will have to rename the same as mine..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

OK not really bothered at the moment.. not like I'm likely to change voice alerts at the field once thy are set up and I'm fine with the list printed and pinned up over my desk. OK all works as it should apart from the odd results I reported above. one last thing when actually turning the switch with the voice alerts programmed in I'm getting ghost skips which is enough to trigger the voice alert. not so bad going downwards 3,2,1,0 but going upwards 0 to 1 is OK but if you don't do a VERY fast precise change from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 positions you get a skip to the 0 position and the announce for that so I get

self level....self level mix.... self level , accro.... self level, alarm.. going up ..

I can get it to not do the self level ghost but requires way more concentration than I'd want to be using whilst in the air.. don't think it is enough to trigger the actual mode change on the copter , as it doesn't show on the aux switch screen as an actual change of position, or if it does it's too fast to see. Any way to damp the ghost down or add a fraction of a delay to the voice alert response so it doesn't react to the skip?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What is the KK board expecting as the channel value for each selection?

You don't need to set a switch in the mix, just use the ELE as the SWCH source. If you look at you results you will see a 3 that corresponds the !position you have, otherwise you have 1,1,2,4,5,5.
This gives you outputs of -100%, -60%, -20%, +20%, +60% and +100% (1.0mS, 1.2mS, 1.4mS, 1.6mS, 1.8mA and 2.0mS as the output pulse width.) Actually the pulses will be slightly different as we go from 0.988 to 2.012mS.

I do have a delay in responding to a change in the 6POS switch to try to avoid the 'ghost' you describe. Currently it is 40mS, maybe it needs to be longer. I could try to make it user configurable to find what it should be!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm guessing the KK board wants to see -100, -50, 0, +50 and +100.
Try setting your mix to:
CH05 +125% SWCH sELE Offset(25%) and select FIX OFFSET as ON.
When in position 6P0 you will get -100%,
6P1 -50
6P2 0
6P3 +50
6P4 and 6P5 +100%

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

OK great mike.. playing with the endpoints and the offset was to be my next move anyway. Like I said I can work around it anyway but if I can get it to work linearly now it will save some problems later on. Thanks for saving me some time..40ms for the delay isn't long at all.. you can probably double it without problems.. it only does it going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 in the upwards direction. coming down again it's fine.. must be something to do with the actual mechanical internals of the switch.

JUST NEED TO SAY YOU GUYS ROCK.. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK !!
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

FYI
I have updated the wiring diagrams
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5659
-Brent
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

MikeB wrote:I'm guessing the KK board wants to see -100, -50, 0, +50 and +100.
Try setting your mix to:
CH05 +125% SWCH sELE Offset(25%) and select FIX OFFSET as ON.
When in position 6P0 you will get -100%,
6P1 -50
6P2 0
6P3 +50
6P4 and 6P5 +100%

Mike.
nope that's worse.. gives me 1,1,3,5,5,5 I've asked RC911 who writes the firmware for the KK board what he board is looking for re inputs for the aux switch. probably save a lot of trial and error..
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, try with a weight of 100% and an offset of 20% (Fix Offset)
This will give -80%, -40%, 0%, +40%, +80%, which is more in line with the output from commercial radios. The open source firmware gives the full range of output at a weight of 100% while most commercial radios only give 80%.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

WOOOOOOO HOOOOO that's the one dude.. sorted..
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

so if we can just bury the little ghosty thing and I'm off to fly and fly some more :) try 80ms see if it cures it.. it's not much out as I can eliminate it if I'm real fast and accurate with the switch.. has to be internal mechanicals as it doesn't do it on the way down unless I do the opposite and deliberately turn it real slow..actually even then I can only get it to ghost going down from 6pos2 to 6pos1 the rest are fine.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just posted an update for the 'PRO with the 6POS switch timeout set to 80mS. Should be better, although I noticed the occasional jump back to 0 still.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

yeh almost there.. try 120ms if it won't interfere with anything else or even just 100ms as it's just about there
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

While fixing another bug, I increased the timeout to 110mS, test versions posted.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gizmatron

Post by gizmatron »

cool dude.. i'll try it out later or tomorrow

EDIT tried and sorted.. no more ghost voice alerts with 6 pos.. still possible to get one if you turn it real slow but you gotta be trying to ghost it.. works for me.. I got a 5 flight mode switch.. rockin
Daedalus66

Re: Switch Upgrades - 3-position

Post by Daedalus66 »

Just installed a 3-position switch in place of the ELE switch. All went according to instructions. I simply unsoldered the black and blue wires from the existing switch, soldered a 1K resistor across the outer connections on the new switch, soldered black to one side and blue to the middle connection. Then moved the blue wire in the circuit board connector to position 2. Finally jumped the R22 pads with a fine bit of copper wire. Bingo, the Diag Switch screen showed it working. So I went to the hardware screen and selected 3-position for ELE.

Now to program it I just set up two lines on CH5:
100 FULL E [down] (how do you do a down arrow?)
100 HALF E-

It seems to work fine. Is that the best way to do it?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you want -100%, 0% and +100% as the outputs, select SWCH as the source (called 3POS in earlier versions), then a MENU LONG should swap the the switch selector option where you select ELE. The firmware will detect you have a 3-position switch there. MENU LONG should swap back to the source selection.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That did the trick. Like many things, easy when you know how!

Thanks as always. Nigel
Daedalus66

Re: Switch Upgrades - problem

Post by Daedalus66 »

I had success with my first conversion of the ELE switch to 3-position.

Now I tried it with my second 9XR Pro, a production version. Did all the same steps but this time it seems stuck in EL[down]. When I look at the Switch Diag screen that's what it shows and there's no response to the switch. Nor if I try using it in a mix (with the SWCH source).

Checked all the wiring, tried a different switch (I'm using a Taranis spare). No difference. It was working normally with the 2-position switch.

Getting late now so I'll tackle this tomorrow. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Nigel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Did you check if R22 is fitted? If not it needs a shunt..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

No R22. Thank you!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Please let us know if you got it working ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

It's sort of working. Whereas before it was stuck on EL[down] for all switch positions (that was with no R22 jumper), now with the jumper in place either switch up OR switch down gives EL [up], while switch in the middle gives EL[down].

I haven't had a chance to go back and check the wiring, which is the next thing I'll do. Will also try to work out the logic of how the switch works and what it might tell me about the current behavior. If you have any insights, I'd welcome them.

I should mention that last night I was running firmware R212 from August. Now I've got R213 from Oct 10.

By the way, when I've sorted all this out I intend to write instructions on adding 3-position switches.

Cheers, Nigel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Nigel,

General Settings / Hardware..

Scroll down to the bottom. You have to tell the radio that the ELE switch now is a 3POS..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Thanks. Already did that but went back and repeated. no difference.

Have changed back to previous 3-position switch. No difference.

By the way, my other transmitter, where the switch works correctly is on Sept R212. This one is now on Oct R213.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

On the DIAGANA screen you should find an A9 value. What readings do you have for the three positions?
The A9 value is used for the ELE 3-pos input.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

0000 switch down
01F8 middle
019E switch up

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”