ERSKY9x Rev. B1 User Area

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
PNaz

Re: ERSKY9x Rev. B1 User Area

Post by PNaz »

My controls were not moving the right servos. I will try re-binding with the transmitter I used to use. I just copied the settings from the eePe file to it. An ErSky9x version of eePe would really help. That program is one of the great features of er9x. The heli was out in the garage all winter so the -21C day might have upset it.

Paul

PNaz

Post by PNaz »

I think I found the problem. I re-bound the heli to the er9x transmitter that I used to fly it with and everything worked normally. I re-bound the ersky9x transmitter and compared my programming. The only significant difference was the Trim Switch. I did not have a trim switch set on the er9x but had !TRN on the ersky9x. That works normally until you turn off the transmitter and turn it on again. When I looked at the limits page I saw some huge numbers (-80 to-99.9) in the first column. !TRN is the default position for that switch so as soon as the transmitter turns on then it resets the trim positions. I tried that setting on my er9x and I could see how I was able to use it on other models on the er9x. The er9x must have the control positions very close to the usual settings when it checks the Trim switch after being turned on because I only saw very insignificant changes from the positions before turning off the transmitter. The ersky9x changes the trim positions by very large amounts in the same situation. Changing the Trim switch to TRN instead of !TRN got rid of the issue because it does not see a command to reset the trims on startup.

The heli flies nicely now, despite having a pilot who is only using half his brain to setup the transmitter.

Paul
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Battery question. I've been using the HK 1500ma 3 cell life battery. It rests at 9.9v after charging. I would like to avoid lipo batteries. I could use a few diodes in the battery lead or try and make a 2 cell life out of the 3 cell. I've done this with lipo packs before. I could also make up an Eneloop pack from cells I have. Any ideas about cell count and cutoff numbers to use as well as battery types?
SM
Last edited by ShowMaster on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechcondrid

Post by Mechcondrid »

well it runs off anything above 5.5v if i remember correctly so a 2 cells life batt should run it nicely as they hover at 6.6v though i dont know if the tx module would like that low a voltage.
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

I'm guessing here, but I would think all the 2.4g transmitter chips are 3.3v like the spektrum ones?
If so, 3.3v "headroom" for the module's regulator should be more than enough.

SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Well the board draws abut 90mA with 50% backlight. With the Audio Output on full , 1khz , the current draw goes up to 230mA.
Now this is worst case , as I dont think you will listening to a solid continuous tone at full volume ....

The Logic on the Board is happy with any voltage input above 5V ...6.5 Volts is Ideal...This keeps the 5V regulator happy as well.

The 5 Volt regulator is for the LED Backlight and as Aux 5V power.....So if you are just driving the Backlight you dont have to worry about
the Minimum voltage for the regulator....If the minimum input voltage is not meet , then its stops regulating at 5V but there is still output
voltage , its just lower than 5V....Which will cause the backlight to dim.

So the working voltage range of a 2S Lipo is Ideal.

A small copper tab could also be soldered onto the regulator to increase its heat dissipation.
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

Speaking of batteries...these are a good price if the 3000 mah stated is correct. I made three 2S 7.2v 2500 mah Trustfire packs and they are great.

http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartview.php?id=6450

http://www.bidproduct.com/more/cartview.php?id=6449
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

SkyNorth wrote:Well the board draws abut 90mA with 50% backlight. With the Audio Output on full , 1khz , the current draw goes up to 230mA.
Now this is worst case , as I dont think you will listening to a solid continuous tone at full volume ....

The Logic on the Board is happy with any voltage input above 5V ...6.5 Volts is Ideal...This keeps the 5V regulator happy as well.

The 5 Volt regulator is for the LED Backlight and as Aux 5V power.....So if you are just driving the Backlight you dont have to worry about
the Minimum voltage for the regulator....If the minimum input voltage is not meet , then its stops regulating at 5V but there is still output
voltage , its just lower than 5V....Which will cause the backlight to dim.

So the working voltage range of a 2S Lipo is Ideal.

A small copper tab could also be soldered onto the regulator to increase its heat dissipation.
The DJT module has a cutoff of 6v. A 2 cell lipo is 8.2 max and the LVC should be around 3.2v per cell or 6.2v. This fits the voltage range of the regulator and module. If I want to go to a life 2 cell the range would be 6.6 and LVC of 2.8 v per cell or 5.6. To keep the DJT at 6v minimum voltage this only gives a battery working voltage of 0.6 volts range. Life batteries may not be usable? 3 cells are too much and 2 cells have the wrong voltage range?
Just mentioning this to see what I should use with this board and a DJT module to keep everything working. Ideas?
SM
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

How long would the 2 Life Cells last , if you stopped at the 6 volts level.? ...
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

I also use 3S LIFE batteries and they charge to 10.2v....this should work.
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

If you can still touch the 3.3V regulator , then things are ok , If you can boil water on it ...then it needs a extra heatsink.
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

DSM 2 works. I haven't flown it yet but the controls work normally. I copied the model's file to the next directory position to check the model match. The model would not work in the copied position but all the controls when to full position and stayed there. Changing back to the original model file got it working properly. I will check further about the full over position when the model is not matched to the directory position.

Paul
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Sweeeeeet! My new board has arrived!

I will pull apart one of my spare 9x's soon :-)

Now.. whats the bag of bits for that came with it for?

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Yeah, found my spare lcd's!!!! WOO!

On my day off too, go figure, now to attack this puppy full on.
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

There is a 3 pin shell and contacts so you can make a new battery connector.
There is a two pin shell and contacts so you can make a backlight connector.
The Header strip can be cut to fit the other expansion ports if needed
The 2 pin connector with yellow wires is for the 8 ohm Speaker.

-Brent
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

The speaker will only work if there are audio drivers or programming in the firmware though? Otherwsie you need to do the jumper mod to keep the piezo mod active.
Who do we bug to do the audio stuff?

:D
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm trying to fit the audio in to my schedule!. We have the low level drivers and can generate any (within reason) tone for a multiple of 10mS. Just need to makem the er9x audio understand the new way of working, unfortunately, its currently a bit tied to the er9x hardware so will take a little longer to work out how to change it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

Man...I ordered some MPX connectors from China on the 21st. I saw a package in the mail today and thought it had to be the board...NOT. It's the connectors....go figure. 6 Days from China and still counting from Canada. Are you sure they still are not on strike?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

6 days from China?? that's it.. I'm moving.. Rick, how are your neighbours like?? :D ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Mechcondrid

Post by Mechcondrid »

speaking of shipping; does canadian post update their tracking numbers often? (never had anything come from canada so i dont have any prior knowledge on their posting times)
and brent what should i use for a battery with the board when it gets here i have a 5c 2cell life batt would that work? if not i gotta get a new batt looks like
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

No Canada Post does not track these packages.
You gotta love that the boards can ship a day later and arrive in Europe , before , they can travel about 300 miles.!
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

If the 2 cell Life battery is good enough for the RF module , then the board will be happy , anything over 5V , will keep the 3.3V regulator going.
-Brent
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

MikeB wrote:I'm trying to fit the audio in to my schedule!. We have the low level drivers and can generate any (within reason) tone for a multiple of 10mS. Just need to makem the er9x audio understand the new way of working, unfortunately, its currently a bit tied to the er9x hardware so will take a little longer to work out how to change it.

Mike.

No, sorry Mike, I didn't direct it at you, I was under the impression some other person was going to do some audio stuff... :roll: It's all good... more beer...

You my man, are doin an awesome job! :geek:
Mechcondrid

Post by Mechcondrid »

SkyNorth wrote:If the 2 cell Life battery is good enough for the RF module , then the board will be happy , anything over 5V , will keep the 3.3V regulator going.
-Brent
well i relize that much but how much can the regulator take voltage wise im not real clear on whats the upper limit of the boards reg
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

The regulators are good up to 18 volts max.
But the internal temp should not go past 125'C , shutdown will happen at 150'C

The higher the input voltage ..the hotter the part will run.

Showmaster was worried that the Lower voltage limit on the 2 cell life , was too low for the DIY FLSKY RF module. It needs to be tested.

-Brent
Mechcondrid

Post by Mechcondrid »

well the flysky module (diy or not) have internal regs capable of running a 12v line but i think they run at 5v minimum (not entirely sure but its an educated guess).
then wouldnt a 3 cell life that runs at 9.9v under load be workable? or would it heat up to much? (not sure as i dont know the formula for the heat disipation ... ugh i hate math lol)
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

You should be fine at 10V input ....The test I was doing is a 1Khz solid test tone at full volume.
With a 12V input voltage , the regulator got very hot.....too hot. (100'C)

But most sounds only happen for a brief second or too....so the heat increase is only slight.

These are things that need to be checked .....I just wanted people to be aware of what happens with high input voltages.

Here is a example.
Watts = volts x Amps - the board draws 0.1A , and the volts is the difference between input and output voltage.
So (9.9 - 3.3) x 0.1 = 0.66 watts - Just 2/3 of a Watt.
A 3S LIPO (12.6 - 3.3) x 0.1 = 0.93 Watts.

-Brent
Mechcondrid

Post by Mechcondrid »

ok and that was with a 8 ohm speaker correct?
i dont plan on adding a speaker (only gonna add small earbud at most)
right now i use a piezo speaker that runs off the buzzer line
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

I found the problem with my DSM2 model match issue. It turned out to be the receiver I was using. It was an Orange R415 and whenever it is powered up without a valid signal received then the servos are driven to the max position. It does prove that the model match was working correctly, however I will have to be careful with that receiver. I tried my Orange R610 receiver under the same conditions and the servos went to the neutral position. The Parkzone receiver in my micro mustang automatically goes into bind mode without a valid signal and the servos stay in neutral. The R415 does work correctly with the model in the directory position it was bound with.

Paul
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Yes, a 8 Ohm speaker.
If you drill a hole in the bottom of the radio , you can access the 1/8" headphone jack
-Brent

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”