ERSKY9X on Taranis

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
bob195558

Re: ERSKY9X on Taranis

Post by bob195558 »

Hi,
With using two transmitter (internal and external module) with my Taranis-x9d, could I use the FrSky L9R - Long Range Receiver, which has NO Telemetry, for a Model's control surfaces and use a D series or X8R receiver for the Telemetry data ? :?:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The requirement regarding telemetry is to make sure you don't have TWO Tx modules sending telemetry information over the SPort in the Tx. I believe that any XJT module will always send something, if only the SWR value, if it is in D16 mode. I'm not sure what it does in D8 mode, and it may be different depending on whether it is in D8 mode using PXX or D8 mode using PPM and, for the external module, the dip switch settings.

Any XJT module may bind to TWO 'X' receivers, so if you can get TWO XJT modules running, then I believe you can bind 4 'X' series receivers.

At present, ersky9x only supports 24 channels. I made this decision a long time ago for the SKY board, long before the XJT module appeared, so I was only expecting two 8-channels modules, and 8 virtual channels. I could look to increase this to 32 if required.

Exactly what combinations will work may need some testing. The internal XJT, with a (unmodified) DJT should work and give you 24 channels.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

bob195558 wrote:I also see listed in Features: ARM Cortex M3 32-bit 60MHz
This maybe a stupid question but: Should the CPU clock be listed as 120MHz or 60MHz which openTX is running at ? :?:
Both openTx and ersky9x have changed to use 120MHz. Both started at 60MHz, whcih was more than adequate originally. The speed increase is just to make sure new features don't impact on the existing performance.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Thank you Mike,
I have only stock DJT and XJT modules and have telemetry wire coming through the back of Taranis case
and that uses com2 from battery-bay.
Taranis with external DJT module using telemetry wire through back of case.
Taranis with external DJT module using telemetry wire through back of case.
I do not have the L9R - Long Range Receiver, but was thinking about how it could be used
and still have full telemetry with the second transmitter/receiver being used.
It sounds possible!
I think will try some different combinations with what hardware I have now and see what I get.

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Internal XJT, D16 to 1 or 2 X8Rs.
External DJT, no telemetry connection, PPM, start channel 17 to a D8 receiver will give you 24 channels.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike,
I also was thinking with using D series receivers, one for each transmitter (internal/external),
it maybe impossible to maintain proper binding connection (at power up) to its proper transmitter/receiver binding.
The D series receivers could cross bind connect and/or both could bind connect to the same transmitter, I speculate.
When several D series receivers have been binded to the transmitter once, the transmitter will bind connect with any of those D series receivers when they are powered up.
One member of our RC group member uses one Taranis eeprom program for 3 or 5 different models, which are using their different D series receiver.
I think this is not a good thing to do, as each model have different ESC's, motors, flight controller, etc. ;)

The X8R has a code so that it can only connect to its Receiver, so it will always bind connect properly between its transmitter/receiver binding (marriage).

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Mon May 25, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Frsky receivers don't bind at power up just like that.. aren't you confusing it with other brands?
Once a frsky receiver is bound to a module it stays bound until you tell it to bind again..
Or maybe I didn't quite understand your post?
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Use the internal XJT in D8 mode, and the external DJT OFF, and bind the first 'D' receiver. Then swap to the internal XJT OFF and the external DJT ON and bind the second 'D' receiver. Now have both Tx modules on and the two receivers should respond correctly thereafter.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike and João,

I miss spoke, my error. :oops:

I should have said, connection in place of binding.

My concern is after the binding process,
when powering up both D series receivers, one or both may connect to the wrong transmitter.

Bob B.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Bob, the receivers will respond ONLY to the RF module they are bound to.
If you follow Mike's procedure above, you will have one receiver bound to the internal module and the other to the external module.

Frsky RF system doesn't work like some other systems that bind every time you power them on. Frsky, you bind once and it stays bound until YOU decide to bind again.. It doesn't lose bind when you power the system OFF.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

AH! I think I understand what I am missing with how I'm thinking about this.
I was not considering the difference between the two transmitters XJT/DJT to there, say each to a D8R-II plus Receiver.
I do not have the knowledge/understanding (mechanic's) to how the connection finds and maintains connection between FrSky transmitter and D series receivers (after proper binding) and powering up later or the next days flying.
I under how to bind them together, Mike's process to bind them to there proper transmitter/receiver I understand how to do this part (no problem here).

I have seen, using a XJT or a DJT transmitter, using the same radio eeprom model program, that you can separately Bind 5 different D8R-II plus Receiver to this radio same eeprom model program.
My thinking was you should only be able to connect to the last D8R-II plus Receiver that was Binded to this same radio eeprom model program.
But no, all 5 different D8R-II plus Receiver will connect to this same radio eeprom model program with its same FrSky transmitter that they all were previously bind to.
I would think it should not be able to do this, but it can and dose.

So I was thinking, what is going to stop the wrong D8R-II plus Receiver from connecting to the other transmitter ?
I do not know how that works, so maybe it could do it ?

So it looks like the transmitter dose not care how many D8R-II plus Receiver are connected to it, but only that the D8R-II plus Receiver was binded to it some time before.

I am speculating, that each FrSky transmitter has its own identification code and when binding to the D8R-II plus Receiver, it receives and accepts this transmitter identification code when binding and after this, keep the receiver from wondering to different transmitters.
Is this how it works ? :?:

Bob B.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ah, now I understand. You are talking about "Model match" :)
Only the "X" series can do it. With the "D" series you must make sure you have the correct model loaded on your transmitter. it has been like this since the beginning of proportional radio control, as far as I know :D

So, yes, if you turn ON all models that are bound to a certain RF module, they will all respond regardless of which model you have loaded on the TX.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

ERSKY9X on Taranis

Post by Daedalus66 »

Not since the beginning of proportional RC (mid-60s), but since we first got programmable radios that could store more than one model (early 90s). :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is correct, thanks :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

ERSKY9X on Taranis

Post by Daedalus66 »

I was there! First proportional multi-channel radio was in 1967. It was analog, with A, E and R channel information controlled by alternating audio tones, and throttle controlled by the rate of commutation. It was on 27MHz. The main problem was temperature sensitivity -- trim changed in flight.
Back to the topic at hand.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi,

Want to setup servo camera movement up and down using the Right Slider control.
Thinking to do this, ...... should it be create in MIXES ?
I may not know what represents the Right and Left Sliders (maybe LS and RS) also I do not see P1 and P2 pots.
Should these be listed in Mixes ?
Or where and how should this be setup ? :)

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The mix sources should show P1, P2, SL and SR as options after the 4 sticks.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Thanks Mike !
I was not thinking right. I was looking for them in Mixes/Switches instead of Mixes/Source.
I should know better. :oops: :D

Bob B.
bob195558

Re: ERSKY9X on Taranis - Using Internal / External Transmitt

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike and João,

I have had, some time to work on trying to use both Internal and External Transmitters at the same time using D series Receivers with Taranis erSky9x-x9d VERS: V.737-Mike, DATE: 13.05.2015, SVN: er9x-r218, MOD: X9D, (test).

Fearing what may happen, ..... it is happening, with an added unanticipated twist.

This is what I have for the setup, hardware and settings.

Using Taranis both Internal and External transmitters at the same time for a total of 16 channels.

External DJT transmitter (Channels 1-8 with D8R-II receiver) telemetry works with both Dip-SW OFF / com2 / PPM / D8 / 1st Chan: 1 / using external telemetry cable.

Internal XJT transmitter (Channels 17-24 with D8R-XP receiver) works with PXX / D8 / 1st Chan: 17.

700 Quad/MultiWii PRO Ez3.0 Flight Controller with / GPS / 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 915Mhz / first D8R-II receiver with a servo connected to Channel 8, Slider: SR and the second D8R-XP receiver with a servo connected to Channel 24, Slider: SL .

Each receiver was bind separately to its respective transmitter and worked properly separately.

When moving the Slider: SR / servo (CH8) it is correctly only moving the CH8 servo.
Here is the problem, when moving Slider: SL / servo, (CH24) it is also moving the CH8 servo at the same time.

Tomorrow, I will try swapping the receivers from their perspective transmitters and report the results.

Bob B.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Bob, I can't test it because I don't have a taranix.. ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you look at the "bars" display showing the servo outputs, does channel 8 move when you move both sliders?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi João,
I understand. ;)

Hi Mike,
Yes, in both screens the Slider: SL bars are showing and look to be moving correctly.
edit: to say it better with after swapping transmitter CH 8 only doing Ch8 servo.
And second receiver CH:17 servo is moving all the way to one side and staying there (same with all CHs 17-24).

When by it self, external DJT transmitter to the second D8R-XP (17-24 channels) (Note: I moved servo to CH17 and still using Slider: SL) the servo moves all the way to one side when set for any of the 17-24 channels.
And when I change 1st Chan setting to 1 the servo moves to its proper center and the Aileron stick then controls it properly, so that this confirming the external DJT transmitter is binded to the second D8R-XP receiver.
But when I change 1st Chan setting to 17 the servo reacts by moves all the way to one side and stays there.

Here is some more info I wrote earlier:
When trying to use the internal XJT transmitter as the added second 17-24 channels to the D8R-XP receiver, channel 24 to a servo was responding, but would also affect the channel 8 servo on the other 1-8 channel D8R-II receiver. (Note: Servo centered properly with this configuration.)

Because the external DJT transmitter to the first 1-8 channel D8R-II receiver loses the Telemetry data when the internal XJT transmitter to the second D8R-XP receiver 17-24 channels are used, I swapped the transmitters so now the first 1-8 channel D8R-II receiver is connected to the internal XJT transmitter and the second D8R-XP receiver 17-24 channel receiver is connected to the external DJT transmitter.

First problem is there is NO SWR telemetry signal.
Not sure why that is ......?, as with before when using the external DJT transmitter channels 1-8 the TSSI signal always worked great.
The rest of the Telemetry data is working properly.

Second problem is with the second D8R-XP receiver, channel 24 to servo using Slider: SL through is NOT working at all.
I have tried binding this second D8R-XP receiver with the 1st Chan setting at 1st Chan: 1 and 1st Chan: 17 and it still did not work.
When the transmitters were swapped the other way, I had binded the second D8R-XP receiver separately with 1st Chan setting at 1 which did not work until I changed it to17 in Protocol menu and then Slider: SL / rx Ch24 worked with the servo, but also moved CH8 servo at the same time.

Was not able to try using the internal XJT transmitter with PPM D8 setting as there is no way to bind the internal XJT through the firmware, But when using the external XJT, it can be bind as it has an external binding button.
Maybe Mike could add binding for the internal XJT transmitter when using PPM/D8/com1 setting (also the external XJT has dip switch #1, ON and that may have to be something that would need to be considered too).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, there is not much point in using PPM on the internal module, you simply can't do any binding. I'll probably remove the option in due course.

I've just posted a test version for the Taranis (and Plus), that may fix this problem. As it has a couple of other changes relating to the EEPROM contents, please make sure you have your existing EEPROM fully backed up in case you need to revert.

I tested this version with the internal XJT in D16 mode to a X8R, 16 channels, start channel 1, SL on channel 8, and PPM to an external DJT, 8 channels, start channel 17, SR on channel 24, and the sliders controlled the appropriate servos without any interaction. I did find a small bug I fixed.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike,
When first powering up radio to model with new test-x9d, I am getting a voice warming (receiver signal critical) and checking the receiver signal after the voice warming the receiver signal is fluctuating between 91 and 103.
The receiver signal strength is OK and maybe the telemetry is taking the receiver signal reading just before the receiver signal is there, its not a problem me, thought you may have wanted to know what it is doing some times when powering up the model.

And the GOOD news is the second D8R-XP receiver servo is working properly. :D
Thank you Mike for finding and fixing the bug! :D

There maybe some signal bleed over between the two receivers as when I moved the Aileron stick to the left,
the Slider SL servo has some chattering to it.
And maybe the reverse could be when moving the Slider SL pot maybe affecting the Aileron control surface, because I am using my 700 Quad for this setup, I am not able to verify it at this time.
I did changed the Slider SL servo to a different receiver channel and it seems to have helped a lot.

Also there is still no SWR signal reading with the internal XJT transmitter. :(
Is there a setting that I need to change for it to work ? :?:
I do like the DJT transmitter better because it just work very well,
but to have the telemetry working we have to use the internal XJT transmitter with its troubles.

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I did increase the number of averaging samples on the RSSI signal. This could cause the first reading to be low if it sees 2 or 3 zeroes and 2 or 1 actual values. The average will be low.

When you say no SWR signal reading, remember that 0 is a valid SWR reading and I believe many XJT modules do give a reading of 0.
If you wrap your hand around the antenna you might find you then get a SWR reading.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike,
I had not remembered about how the SWR signal works ..... and being use-to how the TSSI signal
reports the data when using the DJT transmitter, was thinking it worked the same way.
I believe I need to re-evaluate the need to know, the Telemetry SWR signal strength.
I believe the receiver signal strength is most important and how much model battery life is left, second important.
After these two telemetry data readings, it depends on what is occurring at the time and with what other sensors that are being used.

I will do comparison between the earlier erSky9x-x9d test version (dated 13-May-2015) and this newest
erSky9x-x9d test version (VERS: V.968-Mike, DATE: 08.06.2015,SVN: erx9d-r218) of the RSSI signal data readings
to see if it is a more stable RSSI signal reading.
Thank you Mike !

Bob B.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

HI Mike,

Results from comparing RSSI RX signal between test version erSky9x-x9d (VERS: V.737-Mike, DATE: 13.05.2015, SVN: erx9d-r218, MOD: X9D)
and the newer test version erSky9x-x9d (VERS: V.968-Mike, DATE: 08.06.2015,SVN: erx9d-r218).

Hardware used:
Taranis-x9d Radio, D8R-II Plus receiver,
Internal XJT transmitter (PXX/D8/Com1),
External XJT Module (PXX/D8/Com1) and (PPM/D8/DipSwitch 1 ON/ Com2 with external Telemetry Cable [DJT mode]),
External DJT Module (PPM/D8/Com2 with external Telemetry Cable).

RSSI RX signal readings recorded 100 feet away.
First readings, radio is stationary.
Second readings, radio held out at arm length and rotated from left side to center to right side. (I added this part because when a pilot is standing in one place and moves the radio around the RX signal changes.)
The signal strength readings are low to high and I also took note of the speed that the readings took place (fast or slow).

Older test firmware V.737
Internal XJT (PXX): RX = 59 to 67 (8) and Moving = 57 to 72 (15) (Speed: fast)

External XJT (PXX): RX = 63 to 68 (5) and Moving = 57 to 68 (11) (Speed: fast)
External XJT (PPM [DJT mode]): RX = 61 to 64 (3) and Moving = 59 to 68 (9) (Speed: slow)

External DJT (PPM): RX = 61 to 63 (2) and Moving = 61 to 70 (9) (Speed: slow)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newer test firmware V.968:
Internal XJT (PXX): RX = 64 to 65 (1) and Moving = 62 to 69 (7) (Speed: slower)

External XJT (PXX): RX = 57 to 58 (1) and Moving = 66 to 71 (5) (Speed: slower)
External XJT (PPM [DJT mode]): RX = 61 to 62 (1) and Moving = 61 to 67 (6) (Speed: slow)

External DJT (PPM): RX = 59 to 61 (2) and Moving = 61 to 66 (5) (Speed: slow)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The results indicate an improvement with the increased numbers of averaging samples on the RSSI signal. :D

The result also shows very good RSSI reading when the External XJT module is set to PPM/D8/DipSwitch 1 ON/ Com2 with external Telemetry Cable [DJT mode].
I would like to use these DJT Mode Settings with the Internal XJT, in order to be able to use the telemetry when using two D series receivers and transmitter. :)
For now I would like to keep and/or have the option to use the Internal XJT in DJT Mode Settings.
If need be could I do a mod to the Internal XJT and add a switch for manual binding to be able to do
PPM binding with it ? :?:

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You would need to do mods to the internal XJT to be able to use it in PPM/DJT mode. Whether this is possible may depend on the age of the Tx. FrSky have changed the internal design of the XJT. At one time it was just the main PCB of the external XJT, but more recently it has been made smaller, and may not have the required connections.
If it is the main board of the external XJT, then there is an area towards the bottom of the board with a white, silk screen, rectangle around it. There are 4 holes down each side, just inside this rectangle. These are the connections for the daughter board with the option switches, bind button and LEDs on.
I don't know the specific connections, I would need to take my external XJT apart to try to see what connects to what.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike,
I received my Taranis-x9d B01 January 20, 2015.
Here are some pics if they maybe of some help.
XJT in Taranis B01.jpg
XJT Binding Board_a.jpg
XJT Binding Board_b.jpg
XJT Binding Board_c.jpg
Bob B.
bob195558

ErSky9x Head Tracking on Taranis

Post by bob195558 »

I need some help.
I just received the Skyzone 3D FPV Goggles and is my first time flying FPV.
I felt limited with the camera in a fixed position.
So I want to setup the Head Tracking capability so to be able to see side to side more.
I am having difficulty understanding how to program my erSky9x/Taranis-x9d radio for Head Tracking.
My hardware connections are:
Taranis radio Trainer Port using Head Tracking cable to Skyzone 3D FPV Goggle's Head Tracker Port (Goggle set to PPM channels CH7 - CH8).
And for the D8R-II plus receiver CH7 and CH8 to the Pan and Tilt camera gimble servos.
Head Tracking connection cable
Head Tracking connection cable
Pan and Tilt Camera gimble servos.
Pan and Tilt Camera gimble servos.
Also here is the manual for the Skyzone 3D FPV Goggles:
FPV SKYZONE V2 3D Goggles manual.zip
FPV SKYZONE V2 3D Goggles manual.
(485.93 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bob B.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”