ERSKY9X Coding

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
Daedalus66

ERSKY9X Coding

Post by Daedalus66 »

Many thanks Mike for this very helpful change.

It solves a very specific problem that I’ve never encountered before, that of setting a pulse width for Safety Switch override accurate to 1uS to meet the needs of a particular flight controller.

Unless someone can identify other cases where such accuracy is needed, I would suggest not extending this capability to other aspects of programming.

By the way, it was possible to set up the X-vert on ErSky9x previously. I have it running on Taranis QX7 and a 9XR Pro. However, it required a bit of fine tuning and experimentation. To get 980uS requires a setting on the Safety Switch of -108 +/-1. The new capability makes things much easier to explain and to do.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ERSKY9X Coding

Post by MikeB »

I agree that other things like the weight of a mix don't need any improved resolution. If absolutely needed, there are ways of achieving this, e.g. by having a mix set to a weight of about 200, then a second mix with a weight of 50% and a multiply multiplex. The first mix then provides a resolution of 0.5%.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Some years ago, servos could not see such small differences. The flight controllers do, and sometimes use exact values for certain functions as it is the case of the model mentioned above.
I wouldn't do it. One little glitch on the system and you're in trouble :) :D
For me it is ok as it is, as I don't see myself using my radio to put a spaceship in orbit (future project?? ;) ) and therefore needing that level of accuracy :mrgreen:
It is always nice to be able to send the exact value you want to send though.. :) It just makes us feel better and the system looks more professional :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

ERSKY9X Coding

Post by Daedalus66 »

For those seeking to use the new capability of setting the Safety Switch override more precisely, there’s an important caveat: if you have a module using Multiprotocol, the pulse width value you need to set is 947uS (not the expected 980uS).

The reason is that the Multi module squeezes down the pulse travel slightly. So a setting of 947 is passed by the module and in turn by the receiver to the flight controller as 980.

The degree of squeezing with respect to the neutral of 1500 is approximately (1500-947)/(1500-980) = 6%. For most purposes, this is hardly noticeable (compared for example with the 25% difference between Spektrum and ER9X type settings). But for certain things (like Throttle Cut on an X-vert), the pulse value must be accurate to the microsecond to match Throttle Cut of -130% on a Spektrum Tx.

However, a further issue arises with the new Multiprotocol firmware released in the past few months but not yet shipped with most modules.

In this, the DSMX/DSM2 protocol transforms AETR channel order in the transmitter to TAER as required by Spektrum-compatible receivers, as is the case at present. But it also shrinks the pulses by about 20%, so that the value of 100% (988/2012uS in OpenTX/ER9X) is reduced to match the Spektrum-speak 100% value of 1100/1900.

This means that to send the required 980uS pulse width to the receiver, the module will need to get an input from the transmitter of (1500-980) x 1.28 = 834uS. But even with extended limits the shortest pulse width is 860uS.

So if I’m right, the new Multiprotocol version will not work to give 980uS.

Of course, the Config file can be amended to eliminate the new feature, or one could compromise and adjust the squeeze just enough to support 980uS.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With the protocol used to send the channel data to the Multiprotocol module, we are unable to send values outside -125% to +125% as the channel value is sent as an 11 bit value with 0 being -125% and 2047 being +125%.

So pulse shrinking code in the module prevents generating 980uS.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike (or any knowledgeable user willing to answer),

Typically I've used the FrSky Vario when I've wanted to work with altitude telemetry reporting in gliders (and FLVSS for voltage), but I've had a couple of new FrSky GPS (V2) lying around for about 12 months unused, so recently decided to try one in a 2m glider I rebuilt from someone else's crash-and-burn (plus the FrSky Mini-Lipo Sensor minus LCD screen for voltage).
Before I get a chance to test-fly the rebuilt unit, I've got one GPS reporting as expected using a FrSky X4R - I've found GAlt, GSpd and Hdg and now those report ok (except see my question on Hdg, below) and so, too, do Latitude and Longitude positions (they seem correct for my location and change when I walk around with the model, as does GAlt change accordingly).
Questions:
What GPS 'data' is reset using 'Reset GPS'?
Is there a way to reset the GPS base altitude and/or position to that of the ErSky9x pilot's location, so that I can get a reading of 'relative' distance from where I am, plus a 'relative' height above ground level? Or, can you point me to a working ErSky9x-compatible script for these functions??
And, what data is 'Hdg' reporting (at the moment, standing still, it reports '0' -- maybe I need to have someone walk the plane around while I'm looking at the display on the radio?).

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I proceed, but help with these initial ones would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike or João or Daedalus66 or other qualified user,

Is there any way to use a pot as the setting for a weight/offset or as a multiplier (instead of as the source) in a mix? I would like to try to take a percentage (selected by a pot while in flight) of the Thr stick and add that to other mixes for some control surfaces.

I'm NOT asking for any programming changes, just education: mainly to exercise my ErSky9x use skills, I'm fiddling a bit with another old glider (not the one mentioned in the GPS question) to fix an unalterable physical problem with the engine mount angle. It has a slight left and up mounting angle and, short of a complete firewall reconstruction, it's not possible to add in washers behind the mounting screws, for various (lengthy) reasons. In this type of case (had it once in the past), I'd normally just ADD in a mix with a little negative/positive (as required) weight amount (I'd grab a figure out of my ear and try it until fixed) of the throttle to the usual control surfaces -- kind of like adjusting the gain of a stabiliser by the input of the throttle. Usually I'd get it right after a few test flights.
In this case, I wanted to try something a little cleverer and quicker than 'grab a figure...' and 'a few test flights' and thought I'd be able to get the weight right in one test flight and a few 'test manoeuvers' if I could program a pot as the 'WEIGHT' adjuster and 'OFFSET' of the mix that added the required 'weight/offset' of throttle to the required surfaces. Then I could read off the most effective value(s) and plug that/those in as a permanent value in the Thr mix for those control surfaces, as required.

So, basically Thr as SOURCE, but (say) P3 as an adjustable WEIGHT/OFFSET.

I've looked at the GVAR example on Pg 55 of the 2015 manual on ErSky9x but I think that doesn't quite do it for me, even when I try to modify it.

Again, not asking for program enhancements, just program use/knowledge -- or else to be told that it's not possible and to quit messing around :D

Regards,
ozphoenix
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Look at the link under all my posts. Some time ago I made some really boring videos about er9x and ersky9x :D
They are quite old considering that the firmware got many more new features since then. But I think they are still a good help.. They might have what you need :) ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Thanks, João - looked at a couple (plus a few from others) but found neither inspiration nor solution :(
jhsa wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 am Look at the link under all my posts. Some time ago I made some really boring videos about er9x and ersky9x :D
They are quite old considering that the firmware got many more new features since then. But I think they are still a good help.. They might have what you need :) ;)

João
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You may set a GVAR source to P3 (or any pot), then use that GVAR as the weight and/or offset in a mix, but you may not need a GVAR.
What is perhaps less obvious is the order in which you might use these mixes, try something like:
+50% Thr Offset(50%) [Gives a value from 0 to 100% as the throttle is moved]
*20% P3 [multiply mix, scales the throttle from above to +/-20%]
+100% Ele [Your normal Ele control]

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

MikeB wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:35 am You may set a GVAR source to P3 (or any pot), then use that GVAR as the weight and/or offset in a mix, but you may not need a GVAR.
Yes, I can see how to set a pot to the source of a GVAR and I can see how to use a GVAR as the Source in a Mix, but how do you directly select the GVAR as the weight and/or offset in a mix - I can only get numbers (-250 to +250) in those fields??

[/quote]
What is perhaps less obvious is the order in which you might use these mixes, try something like:
+50% Thr Offset(50%) [Gives a value from 0 to 100% as the throttle is moved]
*20% P3 [multiply mix, scales the throttle from above to +/-20%]
+100% Ele [Your normal Ele control]

Mike
[/quote]
Ok, not so obvious until you just showed it to me! Nice - will try it :) But, I'd still like to understand the first point (above, in your answer).

Thanks.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Reset GPS resets the GPS values of max speed and max altitude.
If you are only using the GPS altitude (not the barometric vario altitude), then tick the option "GpsAltMain" in the telemetry menu. This then uses the GPS altitude value instead of the normal altitude value, then the "Reset Alt" option should set the displayed value to zero.
At present there is no direct support for the pilots base position, and no script has been written either!
Any GPS device can only report a meaningful value for Hdg when the GPS sensor is moving and so can work out the direction of movement from the previous position to the current position.

To switch between a value and a GVAR press and hold the MENU button for a couple of seconds.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Ah, ok, understood now on all questions I posed for GPS - many thanks.

And, on the GVAR value - I had tried to press-and-hold, but obviously for (just) not quite enough time - more patience and a longer 'hold' now shows me what I need - GV1 et al. in the Weight field, etc. Brilliant, so it seems that all will work as I pondered - using either my proposed GVAR/P3 way or your alternative (using several mixes in the correct sequence).

Many thanks, again, for your patience and support - much appreciated.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:52 am Reset GPS resets the GPS values of max speed and max altitude.
If you are only using the GPS altitude (not the barometric vario altitude), then tick the option "GpsAltMain" in the telemetry menu. This then uses the GPS altitude value instead of the normal altitude value, then the "Reset Alt" option should set the displayed value to zero.
At present there is no direct support for the pilots base position, and no script has been written either!
Any GPS device can only report a meaningful value for Hdg when the GPS sensor is moving and so can work out the direction of movement from the previous position to the current position.

To switch between a value and a GVAR press and hold the MENU button for a couple of seconds.

Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Having been doing some measurements regarding latency when using FrSky XJT modules, it is clear to me that synchronising to the XJT heartbeat signal is important. It is also then useful to send all 16 channels to the XJT in 9mS, rather than just 8 channels every 9mS.
On FrSky transmitters, the XJT heartbeat signal is built in, so these use it already.
For the SKY board, AR9X board and the 9XR-PRO, I'm adding an option to route the heartbeat signal to PB14, a generally unused spare input (although some people may be using this for an extra switch input or to convert a 2-pos switch to a 3-pos switch).
The protocol menu will have an extra option to enable using PB14 for the heartbeat signal.
The protocol menu is also getting a "double rate" option for sending all 16 channels within 9mS.
These two options together guarantee reducing the maximum latency you may get by 18mS.
I've tested this on an AR9X board and it is working well. It should work well on the SKY board. The 9XR-PRO has a 0.1uF capacitor on the PB14 signal so may not work as well, I've still to test that.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

João only uses DJT modules, so he is OK with all the added switches he has with his radios then ? :D ;) :mrgreen:
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

I'm interested because I use an XJT in a 9XR-Pro and also the built-in XJT in a QX7, so 'normalizing' things would be a good 'plus' for me :) :)
bob195558 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:35 pm João only uses DJT modules, so he is OK with all the added switches he has with his radios then ? :D ;) :mrgreen:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, could you please make it that the heartbeat is only used on PB14 if the pin is not in use for a switch?
I use that pin for extra switched I think, need to check, and I don't know what would happen if I turned that option on by mistake..

Perhaps an.activation option in the hardware menu?

Bob, even if I used the X protocol which I actually do, I wouldn't be botthered about the latency we currently have. I doubt that many of us would even notice any difference on the servo response anyway ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Yes, good news for us who use the XJT modules.
Mike would this also help with the reporting time of the telemetry (like RSSI) ?
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Bob: This has no effect on the telemetry performance.

João: This is only active if you are using a XJT module. If you are using the PB14 as a switch input then if you enable the option all that happens is it won't synchronise and performs as it currently does.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

So, if I understand well, the switch will work as before.. Great. :)
Thanks Mike

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Something just came to my mind, if someone used the pin for a switch, and turn that option ON, he/she might think that got less latency when nothing really happened. So, perhaps some kind of popup warning?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This does seem to work in a 9XR-PRO, although I don't like the look of the heartbeat signal. The XJT drives it from an open collector driver, but the only pullup is the one in the processor. Since there is a 0.1uF capacitor on the signal, it doesn't get much above 2 volts before the heartbeat pulls it down again. I think the signal would be better with a pullup resistor (3K3 to 4K7) to 3.3V, as we really should have at least 2.3V for a logic 1. I'll need to work out how to add this easily, or the capacitor needs to be removed.

I've added a change so the option only appears in the protocol menu if the PB14 (DAC1) signal is not in use as an extra switch input.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

Since this requires a hardware modification, it would be better if you add an XJT heartbeat option to the hardware menu and remove PB14 from the switch sources if that option is enabled.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That will take some time to do while keeping the encoded values for items that come after PB14(DAC1) the same.

Mike

Edit: Not sure, since the heartbeat signal is open collector, you could wire a push button to PB14(DAC1) at the same time. Then, if using a XJT, you use the heartbeat, and if not using a XJT you may have the push button, selected by the loaded model!
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, that would mean losing the switch if I used an XJT with that model. :(
If I had to choose between the extra switch and less latency, I would still prefer to have the switch. I think the best option is what you currently did. If that pin is selected as a switch, it won't show up on the protocol menu. This is fine in my opinion. I use all the push buttons I have installed on the back of all my radios. The current level of latency is already good.
The only place I see some latency that could probably be improved, is on a trainer setup with both bluetooth and SBUS inputs.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I assume you are using EXT1-3 and PB14 for your extra buttons. Looking at the AR9X/ARUNI and SKY boards, we do have PA25 spare. It is used on the 'PRO to enable the SPort output driver.
I should be able to make this available as an extra switch/button input so if you then use that instead of PB14, you will make PB14 available for the heartbeat if required.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, but if we don't care about the heartbeat signal, can we continue to use PB14 as usual? If you make the other pin available as a switch, maybe we could have even one more switch / Push button on our radios? :)
Really, I would rather not having to mod my radio's if possible, specially not now that the flying season is here. I have more than one with the push button addition :)
As far as I'm concerned I'm happy with the current latency. It is way less than my brain's latency.. :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, if you don't want to use the heartbeat signal, PB14 still works as before. If you have PB14 in use for a switch, the option doesn't appear in the protocol menu. PA25 will appear as an extra switch source (but you don't want it yet as you don't want to mod your radios :mrgreen: ).

I reckon withou using the the heartbeat or the "double rate" options for the XJT, you could have a maximum latency of over 50mS to the start of a servo output pulse. With both of these, the maximum becomes 30.8mS (21.8mS to the SBUS output).
50mS may well become noticeable with some models.
In the days of FM radios (35/72MHz etc.), the maximum latency was equal to the PPM frame rate, typically 20 to 25mS, with the minimum about zero mS!

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

PA25 now added in as another input. I've tested it on an AR9X board. From the early days of the SKY board, I had been using it to drive the 9X stock buzzer, but I've now removed that code to completely free the pin off.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:56 pm PA25 will appear as an extra switch source (but you don't want it yet as you don't want to mod your radios :mrgreen: ).
Please note that when I mentioned the extra switch I said "We" not "I" :mrgreen:
But yeah, I'd prefer to mod my radios when the season is over. You know me, I will probably change it anyway. :) or add an extra switch :P :D
I reckon withou using the the heartbeat or the "double rate" options for the XJT, you could have a maximum latency of over 50mS to the start of a servo output pulse. With both of these, the maximum becomes 30.8mS (21.8mS to the SBUS output).
Have people been flying with all that latency until now?? :o ;)
I haven't noticed it as I use the MultipProtocol module for the X protocol, and only on one X DIY receiver ;)
I still prefer the D system. Find it so much more reliable..

Thanks Mike..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”