ERSKY9X Coding

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
ozphoenix

Re: ERSKY9X Coding

Post by ozphoenix »

Sorry, João - my oversight - yes, I am only using eepeSky - my incorrect references to eepe were from typist's haste -- just and only eepeSky.exe

My apologies for introducing the misinformation - I will try to be more accurate and specific in future - my only excuses are tiredness (it's late here) and an extra glass of vino or two while waiting for the time-zones to align to be able to possibly give real-time answers to Mike :roll:

Regards,
ozphoenix
jhsa wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:32 pm Just to make sure.... You are using eepskye, not eepe, right?
I'm asking because you mentioned eepe several times on your previous post..

João

ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Beyond the witching hour, guys - catch you on the next cycle of the sun - many thanks for your support.

Regards,
ozphoenix
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I think it should look like this:
Computer / (C:) / Program Files (x86) / eepe / eepskye.exe
Computer / (C:) / Program Files (x86) / eepe / eepskye.exe
The older programs folder is an extra folder I added to store the older Eeprom Editor programs (normally is not there).
More info: (http://www.er9x.com/) and test version: (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676).

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

One mystery cleared up - figured out why the first try failed and returned the same error (6%, then stop) but subsequent tries then worked for Write Memory to Tx.

My virus checker (slowly) blocked the first install and declared the new .exe as a security threat and kept the old version in place, so the first attempt was using the old .exe - I didn't make the (mental) connection about what was going on until this morning (clearer head).

I had then re-downloaded and re-installed the new version and over-rode the virus checker because I knew the file was not a threat - then, subsequent attempts at Write Memory to Tx were using the correct (new) .exe so they worked.

Now, just need to get QX7 eepeSky files written in complete form.

Regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:01 pm BobB - yes, I did.

Mike - yes, I did - attached is a screenshot of my eepe directory - I am using the most recent (your update) .exe file.

Some more information:
1. On the second, third and fourth tries, the 6% error did not occur, so put the first failure down to fumble fingers ... or something. The Write Memory to Tx now appears to complete without error.
2. The file saved using the updated eepe -- whether to the local disk, to the EEPROM on the QX7 (across USB) or by a Write Memory to TX -- when re-read into eepe, has the models missing from the saved file (same models as before - no need to attach a new screenshot).
3. If I do the EEPROM Restore using the (missing models) file when stored on the SD card of the QX7 across the USB, I now get a successful completion of the EEPROM Restore process without error message (though, of course, the models are still missing).

So, it now seems that the remaining problem is to get eepe to create a file for QX7 without missing models.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
ozphoenix
Screenshot 2017-07-12 21.18.44.png
ozphoenix

eepsSky and QX7

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,

I ran another test - no radio, USB or SD involved -- just eepeSky on my PC, with most current eepeSky .exe:

1. Created a NEW QX7 eepeSky file (using the Configure tools to choose QX7 format) in eepSky and kept it open on the eepeSky screen.
2. Opened the 9XRPro bin file, with 20+ models in it, from my PC storage.
3. Highlighted models 1 to 20 in the 9XRPro window, copied, then pasted in Models 1 to 20 in the QX7 window.
4. Closed the 9XRPro window without change.
5. Saved the QX7 window, now with 20 models in it, to my PC storage.
6. Opened the same QX7 file from the PC storage -- the models 14, 15 and 17 to 20 are missing.

Attached is a .rar file of the source and destination eepeSky files.

Hope this helps isolate the problem.

Regards,
ozphoenix
Downloads.rar
(7.63 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll have a look. Could you try copying the models one at a time please. I've been using "drag and drop" rather that copy/paste.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,

Yes I can and I will do that now, but first another test result for you:

1. Opened source file, opened a NEW QX7 file.
2. Dragged and dropped only Model 14 (one that went missing earlier) saved and closed the QX7 then re-opened it -- Model 14 was still there.
3. Highlighted Models 10 to 20 only in source file, copy/pasted to QX7 (yes, over top of existing Model 14), saved and closed file.
4. Re-opened QX7 file - Models 10 to 20 were ALL there.
5. Highlighted Models 1 to 9 of source file and copy/pasted to QX7 file, saved and closed file.
6. Re-opened QX7 file - Models 13, 14 and 17 to 20 had disappeared.

Will now go and do the following - start with a new QX7, insert the 10 to 20 models with copy/paste, then drag/drop one extra Model at a time, starting at Model 1, until I see something worth reporting.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:16 am I'll have a look. Could you try copying the models one at a time please. I've been using "drag and drop" rather that copy/paste.

Mike.
ozphoenix

eepeSky and QX7

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,

Ok, I can reproduce a sequence for you, including when using drag/drop:

1. Open the 20+ model source file, open a NEW QX7 file.
2. Copy Models 10 to 20 from source to NEW QX7 and save.
3. Re-open QX7, all Models 10 to 20 exist.
4. Drag/drop Model 1 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- Models 1 and Models 10 to 20 remain ok.
5. Drag/Drop Model 2 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- Models 1, 2 and 10 to 20 remain ok.
6. Drag/Drop Model 3 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- Models 1, 2, 3 and 10 to 20 remain ok.
7. Drag/Drop Model 4 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- Models 1, 2, 3, 4 and 10 to 19 remain - Model 20 has disappeared.
8. Drag/Drop Model 5 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- Models 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 to 18 remain - Models 19 and 20 have disappeared.
9. Drag/Drop Model 6 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- Models 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 10 to 17 remain - Models 18, 19 and 20 have disappeared.
10. Drag/Drop Model 7 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- Models 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 10 to 15 remain - Models 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 have disappeared ****NOTE: the jump to two models disappearing -- I checked it twice - yes, it is two models missing for this one input.
11. Drag/Drop Model 8 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- Models 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 to 14 remain - Models 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 have disappeared. ****NOTE: Back to one model going missing now
12. Drag/Drop Model 9 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- Models 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 to 13 remain - Models 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 have disappeared.

Some extra steps:
13. If I re-copy Model 10 from source to QX7 - save, close, re-open -- no change -- Models 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 to 13 remain - Models 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 have disappeared.

14. If I start with another NEW QX7 and copy 10 to 20 then save, close, re-open - 10 to 20 remain.
15. Copy/paste Models 1 to 5, save, close, re-open - Models 19 and 20 (yes, two) have disappeared.
16. Copy/paste Models 6 to 9, save, close, re-open -- Models 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20 have disappeared BUT 16 remains (see #10 above - two items removed in one go, but here 16 remains).

These sequences are re-producible -- I ran several of them multiple times and got the same results for each time.

Hopefully, this helps the identification process for you.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:16 am I'll have a look. Could you try copying the models one at a time please. I've been using "drag and drop" rather that copy/paste.

Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Thanks for that. I can reproduce the problem, and note it is generic to the Taranis and plus as well as the QX7. Something in the creation of the EEPROM image when saving is clearly wrong.
I'm investigating.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Fix just posted.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks Mike..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Yahoo! Thanks, Mike - first simple cut-and-paste of 20 models now saves and re-opens properly.

Appreciate your support and persistence!

I'll go through the complete conversion onto the QX7 and test it 'in-the-air' next Sunday and report back, though it seems that all should be fine - here's fingers crossed :)

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:50 pm Fix just posted.

Mike.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,

BTW - purely minor cosmetic issue - the Bootloader screen on my QX7 is rotated to the right by 1.5 characters - see attached sample. All other screens are working ok, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

When you have a chance, can you have a look, please?

Thanks.

Regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Attached file - cannot seem to attach it to previous screen rotation message :(
20170714_065410.rar
(2.5 MiB) Downloaded 207 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Very odd, my screen is OK.
Please try the following:
Start in maintenance mode (trims held apart at power on). Check the display is OK.
Now hold the trims inwards and and press EXIT LONG. The radio should restart in bootloader mode. Is the screen OK now?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Screen is ok in Maintenance Mode -- not rotated.
Restart to Bootloader mode -- screen is still as I sent you a sample - rotated by 1.5 characters.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 pm Very odd, my screen is OK.
Start in maintenance mode (trims held apart at power on). Check the display is OK.
Now hold the trims inwards and and press EXIT LONG. The radio should restart in bootloader mode. Is the screen OK now?

Mike.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,

Afraid we mightn't be out of the woods yet :(

Regardless of whether I transfer a freshly made QX7 20+ model (copy) from Memory Write to TX or by copying EEPROM to the SD (across USB) and restore using EEPEROM menu, when the QX7 restarts, I get an EEPROM Formatting message, then Bad EEPROM Data, then the original (1 Model) EEPROM restarts.

I am going out for about 3-4 hours and cannot look further at present, but you might try to make a 20+ model image and get it to run on your QX7.

I'll look, when I return, to see if you've had a chance to do that but I'll also try some more tests to get closer to a clue.

Regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:10 pm Yahoo! Thanks, Mike - first simple cut-and-paste of 20 models now saves and re-opens properly.

Appreciate your support and persistence!

I'll go through the complete conversion onto the QX7 and test it 'in-the-air' next Sunday and report back, though it seems that all should be fine - here's fingers crossed :)

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:50 pm Fix just posted.

Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, please try reading the EEPROM from the QX7, copying the models into that, then writing it back to the QX7.

I'll look further tomorrow, too late now.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Figured it was, but thought I'd report it anyway so you can look when you have time - I'll also take a further look when I can get some time later today, our time.

Thanks and regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:32 pm OK, please try reading the EEPROM from the QX7, copying the models into that, then writing it back to the QX7.

Mike.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,

Therein lies a clue!

1. made a backup (through EEPROM Menu on QX7) of the known-good QX7 EEPROM which was created when I installed the Ersky9X virgin software, replacing the OpenTX.
2. copied Model #2 from 9XRPro EEPROM into Model #2 position if that backup copy, restored it to the QX7 -- it worked without error.
3. re-opened the first backup copy (#1, above), moved the template Model #1to position 32, highlighted Models 1 to 20 of the 9XRPro EEPROM, copied/pasted them into the QX7 backup, restored it (through EEPROM Menu) onto the QX7 - it worked without error.

So, from my limited knowledge, it looks like 'NEW' EEPROM images created from the File Menu of eepeSky might have something wrong with them in the formatting(?)

BTW - I also tried another SD card in the QX7 -- one that I had in my 9XRPRo previously, without a problem -- in the QX7, the EEPROM bin created from 'NEW' in eepeSky also gave a Bad EEPROM Data error, so I believe my original SD card in the QX7 is good and that the problem does come from within eepeSky.

Will keep digging.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:32 pm OK, please try reading the EEPROM from the QX7, copying the models into that, then writing it back to the QX7.

Mike.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,

Just further FYI......herein, another clue:

I created a new/virgin EEPROM window in eepeSky from the File/New menu item, saved it to the QX7 without any Models in it at all, just the General Settings item created in new images by eepeSky.

I got an EEPROM Formatting, then BAD EEPROM DATA message when I tried to Restore it using the EEPROM Menu.

Regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:24 am Mike,

Therein lies a clue!

1. made a backup (through EEPROM Menu on QX7) of the known-good QX7 EEPROM which was created when I installed the Ersky9X virgin software, replacing the OpenTX.
2. copied Model #2 from 9XRPro EEPROM into Model #2 position if that backup copy, restored it to the QX7 -- it worked without error.
3. re-opened the first backup copy (#1, above), moved the template Model #1to position 32, highlighted Models 1 to 20 of the 9XRPro EEPROM, copied/pasted them into the QX7 backup, restored it (through EEPROM Menu) onto the QX7 - it worked without error.

So, from my limited knowledge, it looks like 'NEW' EEPROM images created from the File Menu of eepeSky might have something wrong with them in the formatting(?)

BTW - I also tried another SD card in the QX7 -- one that I had in my 9XRPRo previously, without a problem -- in the QX7, the EEPROM bin created from 'NEW' in eepeSky also gave a Bad EEPROM Data error, so I believe my original SD card in the QX7 is good and that the problem does come from within eepeSky.

Will keep digging.

Regards,
ozphoenix

Mike.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,

Another cosmetic thing, though maybe you don't see it on your screen - see attached file (figured out why I wasn't attaching files properly earlier, also - lack of patience :( )

Notice the space where the Trim and Timer labels appear on 9XRPro versus the QX7 -- on my QX7, there is a rectangular box drawn, but no information from Trim or TTm -- I cannot see where to change that and have not seen it in the 9XRPro but my QX7 has been like it since Ersky9X installation.

This rectangular box appears on all normal Model Information screens accessible through the 'PAGE' button, except if there is a 'CUSTOM' screen included from Telemetry, where it does not appear. When you return to a normal information screen from the CUSTOM screen, the rectangle re-appears.

Am I seeing a new feature or just not setting things up correctly in the QX7?

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 pm Very odd, my screen is OK.

Mike.
Attachments
screencompare.rar
comparison of 9XRPro and QX7 main screens
(5.98 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
Last edited by ozphoenix on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,

Not sure if this is a clue or not:

In eepeSky in the Edit menu, there is an item EEPROM Info. If I open the EEPROM file that works ok in the QX7 (which was created ON the QX7 when ERSKY9X was installed) the Version Number is '3'. If I open the EEPROM file that gets an error on the QX7 (when I try to Restore it or Write Memory to TX and which was created from within eepeSky using the File Menu/New item) the Version Number is '1'. If I open an EEPROM file from the well-tried and stable 9XRPro radio code, the version number is 11. Is that a version of the EEPROM format creation source code or is it not relevant??

Regards,
ozphoenix

Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I've located why a new EEPROM created in eepskye causes a "BAD EEPROM" and a format. I don't think I've ever used that operation as writing that to the radio removes the general settings, including stick calibration, so I've always used the recommended method of reading the EEPROM from the radio modifying that, then writing it back.
If you do create a new EEPROM in eepskye, you may well want to drag and drop the general settings from the radio into it to keep the calibration. One of the settings is a version number that is created incorrectly in ee4pskye (or was until I just edited it!)

The rectangle on the main display indicates you have a flight mode active. The flight mode name appears in the rectangle, if you entered one.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,

Ok, good - thanks for verifying it back to the creation process (and the version number error). I'll be happy to download a new version of eepeSky once it is available, though I can obviously 'get by' with what I have now as I've created a working EEPROM image for the QX7 with 20+ models in it :)

As for the 'Active Flight Mode', I didn't intentionally create one or set one - I have not used them, as a rule. So, if you edit the Bixler model in the 9XRPro EEPROM (that I have provided to you earlier) in eepeSky, you'll see that I have no modes on or selected and no switches assigned (Switch 1 or Switch 2 -- both are shown as '--') and when you open the Modes menu in the 9XRPro radio itself, no Modes are named and no modes have Switches assigned (both fields for all Modes are shown as '----') -- all seems correct.

BUT, if you edit the same model (Bixler) in the (previously-provided) QX7 EEPROM bin file in eepeSky, you'll see the same as the 9XRPro for Modes - none are named and none have any switches identified for Switch 1 or Switch 2 (both switch fields show '--'). HOWEVER, if you copy that same Model to a working QX7 EEPROM file and Model (Bixler) in the QX7 radio itself, you'll see no Mode names given, BUT both Switch positions for all Modes now have 'ON' in them, whereas I believe they should read as '----' or 'OFF', since the EEPROM actually has in it '--').

This does not seem like an issue of conversion of the Model fields within eepeSky, but an inconsistent treatment of the actual EEPROM field contents within the QX7-resident Ersky9X version itself.

Pardon my assumptions, based on lack of eepeSky and Ersky9X coding knowledge, if I am wrong.

Regards,
ozphoenix

MikeB wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:12 am OK, I've located why a new EEPROM created in eepskye causes a "BAD EEPROM" and a format. I don't think I've ever used that operation as writing that to the radio removes the general settings, including stick calibration, so I've always used the recommended method of reading the EEPROM from the radio modifying that, then writing it back.
If you do create a new EEPROM in eepskye, you may well want to drag and drop the general settings from the radio into it to keep the calibration. One of the settings is a version number that is created incorrectly in ee4pskye (or was until I just edited it!)

The rectangle on the main display indicates you have a flight mode active. The flight mode name appears in the rectangle, if you entered one.

Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There is some possible conversion done to switch configuration due to the different number of switches on the 'PRO (9X) Taranis and QX7.

I'll check what is done.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

New version posted.
There are many places where the code has to do something different depending on the radio being edited (SKY/PRO/Taranis/Plus/QX7).
I'm not surprised I have missed one or two when adding the QX7.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Thanks, Mike - I'll give it a try in the next couple of hours and get back to you.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 pm New version posted.
There are many places where the code has to do something different depending on the radio being edited (SKY/PRO/Taranis/Plus/QX7).
I'm not surprised I have missed one or two when adding the QX7.

Mike.
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Thanks, Mike - that seems to have put the Flight Mode/rectangle to bed.

At the present time, that leaves the (minor) cosmetic issue of the rotated Bootloader screen (on my QX7) - do you have any ideas how I can research that one further for clues? It's obviously not a showstopper, but does eventually need to be understood and addressed - happy to help in some way.

I can now work my way further through making a complete backup radio out of this QX7 and trying to fly it tomorrow - and some of my club peers will be very interested to see it kitted out with Ersky9X instead of OpenTx - if I find anything else, I'll get back to you asap. Seems like not many of the new QX7 owners are making this conversion yet or you would have been getting more questions from others by now, given what has been updated recently, I think. Hopefully, more will do it sooner rather than later.

Regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,

After running some tests of the S6R setup with the QX7, I noticed also that the Swr figure and the Swr bar graph on the Telemetry Custom Page are both at zero -- I would expect a (slightly) higher figure. Can you suggest something for me to look at? Or, you?

Regards,
ozphoenix

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”