ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
jhsa

Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by jhsa »

I believe the 6 position switch should be displayed with all the other switches as it is hard coded.. Even if it wasn't (idea for the other platforms), as soon as it is activated, it is not a pot anymore. It is a switch, or 6 of them, and in my opinion it should be displayed in the "Switches" main screen :) This would keep things organised. ;)

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Horus flies! Courtesy of ErSky9X and Mr. Blandford!

Flew my AXN for three flights earlier this afternoon, totalling 45 minutes only, due to child minding duties! lol!

Went without a hitch.
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Good to know.
Note that I don't have the watchdog timer running (yet), so certain firmware problems may cause a "hang" rather than a reboot.
I've been trying to get other, external protocols running on the prototype, but run into some problems. I've finally found there seems to be a hardware problem with the timer I need to use, where instead of toggling the output signal, it changes it twice and creates a "spike" on the signal. I'm working on a solution!
This problem may not happen on the production board as that uses a different timer.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Mike,
So far in probably 6 hours plus of bench testing with all sorts of different receiver makes and servos etc., and probably an hour of TX time at the field, there have been zero 'glitches'.

Very much looking forward to future developments. Will be good to test the iXJT, as for some reason with FrSkyOS there were a lot of problems with it. The biggest was very poor range, and it took four releases over months to sort it. Even the first 'production' firmware for the new production iXJT had problems. Simply never trusted it.
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll get to the iXJT next, I'll put the code in and get you to test it!
I've just posted "A8". I've added XJT (PXX) DSM and Multi protocols to the external module driver. There is a significant re-write here to handle the prototype/production differences, so the production driver may not work. I've tested PPM, XJT and Multi on the prototype.
I have made the production driver work in both cases, and slave the prototype timer off the production timer so there is a good chance it will work, but I may have the polarity of the signal wrong.

Telemetry is still not handled. I'll see if I can wire the SPort signal in on the prototype.

Mike.

Added a couple of tweaks, soldered on a wire and I have telemetry working from a XJT and a DJT, not posted yet.
erskyTx/er9x developer

RCHH

Post by RCHH »

A8 flashed to Horus fine.

Mike,
I can confirm that the external XJT module works perfectly. Binding can be done vIa the button on the back of the module, or via the Protocol menu in Horus.
Tested with various respective receivers in D8, D16(X) in both EU LBT and FCC flavours. No issues with any of them so far. I have not carried out the marathon full power range check yet, but initiating range check in Horus, I got a good 90yards or so away with a PCB X8R receiver in D16 mode and it was still going strong. Good enough I suspect! However, on the screen, RSSI showed as 0. I suspect as telemetry is not coded in yet?

I don't have the multi-module (yet - is on the way though) nor any DSM. But I do have a LRS module - somewhere! Noooo idea where I have put it.

I am now quite happy to fly with the XJT and XSR/X8R receivers. Must get one of the S6R RX/Stabiliser efforts and give that a go. Looking forward to testing the iXJT :P

When can we expect satellite tv, coffee and toast making systems? :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

RCHH wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 pm

When can we expect satellite tv, coffee and toast making systems? :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
Don't push it, you are asking for too much :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Shame on yourself, how can you ever ask for something like that?? :? :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Well, I was hungry and thirsty, and there was the Russian F1 GP on the telly when I was out flying. Testing ErSky Horus (acceptable name for it? What ya think?) and risking life and limb ... Not much of an ask really is it? Or should I be banished forever to the salt mines in Siberia? :o :shock: :D :mrgreen:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Toast making is already available, just short the Tx battery :mrgreen:

I just tested a S8R (stabilising) receiver. It all just worked, including the "over the air" configuration of the S8R from the relevant menu (UP LONG, then LEFT a couple of times).

I flew a model with a S6R in it on Friday. Start with the master gain turned well down. I had it at around 80%, and with the model travelling quite fast, when I switched the stab mode on it went rather wild due to too much correction! This model is quite senstive to ELE and AIL, I use 70% expo on those. When I tried auto-level, I needed to reduce this to 40% to get much response.
Not really worth trying to actually control the model in auto-level mode, it responds quite differently. In order to turn you have to hold AIL on to keep the bank, or it auto-levels.
I also found I needed to be able to trim the model in stab and auto-level modes, so I made these separate flight modes with their own trims.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

MikeB wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 10:57 pm Toast making is already available, just short the Tx battery :mrgreen:

Mike.
Hhahaha! Somewhat akin to what I did to the girl's Haynes Internal Combustion Engine model we built over the last week. The controller box was not 'starting' the engine, so I whipped a 1S LiPo into it. Unfortunately, in reverse polarity. Poor little board fizzed lie a good'un!

Made them two laugh! I got the thing working jerry rigged - and they now sort of understand how a 4-stroke engine works, but are wanting me to 'fizz' circuit boards! heh heh!!!

As for these stabiliser things - they all seem to have savage gains. I remember my first outing with the OrangeRX V1 stabili'z'er - instant pucker factor 10! lol!!! The pots on that one were so 'un'linear it was crazy. Noobee's Open Flight Stabilizer firmware sorted that out. Lovely little orange boxes they are now.
And as for the T1000 thing HK Turnigy did with the GPS - owwwww! Nasty, violent ever increasing oscillations I have never seen the likes of! And it was not possible to turn the thing off totally. There was no passthrough. All good fun!
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:Toast making is already available, just short the Tx battery :mrgreen:
And if you use a LiPo to power the radio, you can also place a bowl of water on top of the mess, boil it, and make some coffee or tea :mrgreen:
There you go, only the satellite TV missing.. ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Horus uses a NiMh, so I suppose it might just do it! Just the one cup. :D :P

Mind you, that happens anyway - the one VERY poor design 'feature' of it. No changing TX battery at the field, not fitting a LiPo as there is some fangled circuitry to do with charging. Horus would not be able to complete a full 9 hour day at the field. The trusty Sky/AR9X's can do that with ease of course. Whoever was the designer of that setup needs firing! Sometimes FrSky really do lose the plot!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

"A9" posted. I've added support for the internal iXJT, but haven't tested this. I need to find out which pads are the connections and put a 'scope on them to see if they are working.
I've left some debug values on the bottom half of the display, these may help seeing what isn't working if it doesn't work.
I gather the iXJT has a choice of antenna (internal or external). I'm using the internal one only at present.

I've also done some display changes. I've stretched the main display so the bars fit better in the middle, the start of a (long?) process to make use of the bigger screen.
I could now add a bar for the 6-pos switch. I'm trying to decide whether to display the raw analog value, or a converted value that has six, equally spaced, positions.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

A9 flashed to Horus fine.

iXJT is not working in X or D modes. Will not bind.

Display change noticed. Looks fine.

As for the bar for the 6-pos. Personally I would like it to be the raw value, rather than equi-spaced indications. However, nice equal steps would appeal to others and would give a 'tidy' appearance ... Toss a coin Mike! lol!

Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to work something out so that the crummy design of the switch that allows it to revert to zero reading if moved too slowly (sometimes it is not that slow either!) between detents could be eliminated? Yesterday, when setup for a mini quad, it was easy to see the problem in the LibrePilot GCS, and thus it would cause problems with flight mode changes, albeit momentary.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've fixed a bug where the serial data to the iXJT wasn't being sent properly. I've posted a "B1" test version.

I currently have a 0.1 second delay on 6-pos changes. I did have it longer, but then I found the delay quite noticeable in that I switch the switch, then there was quite a pause before the change registered.
Perhaps that doesn't matter.
I'll think if I can improve the operation.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Will get the B1 on shortly.

That 6-pos switch issue I suspect will be a PITA. For most operations I don't think a small realtime delay would be critical, unless someone uses a position for a get out of the poop function or suchlike. Even when they should really be using a rapid to get to switch.
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

B1 flashed to Horus no problem.

Unfortunately still nothing from the iXJT in D8 or D16(X)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

"B2" is posted. It looks like I hadn't enabled the I/O pin that turns the power on to the iXJT, so it wasn't getting powered, it should now get powered!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

B2 flashed to Horus fine.

iXJT .... Success! Tried with non-EU LBT X8R and also D8R-II XP. Working fine! Have not tried with any EU-LBT RX as of yet. Excellent Mike!

One thing I have noticed is even when calibrated, pots S1 & S2 and sliders L1 & L2 have a lot of travel from their end positions before the indicator telltale bars begin to move. S1 & S2 have approx 30deg rotation before the slider, and indeed any channel assigned begins to move.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've noticed that with the sliders in the faceplate. Checking on the DIAGANA screen (which needs some corrections), the raw analog value doesn't start changing for the limit (0 or 7FF) until the slider has move a significant distance, so this problem seems to be in the design of the sliders. I don't have any pots connected, but you could check yours on the DIAGANA screen.

Good that the iXJT is working. Do you have telemetry OK from the iXJT?

Next I'll enable the watchdog, then I think I'll look at the trainer driver.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

I am indeed seeing telemetry! RSSI(?) with D8 RX reading 90. Will try later with the X8R.

Have checked the diagana for the sliders and pots. Indeed none of them begin to change the values near their end travels. In fact, if I VERY carefully rotate the pots, I can feel a very fine 'step' at which point the readings start to mve from + or - 100. So maybe it is a mechanical issue?
I don't recall it with FrOS, but I will check it out in a few mins and get back to you, but suspect it was like it as the figures I am seeing on diagana don't lie.

I will
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Oooooo problem. I just went to the TELEMETRY setup screen to see what was what, scrolled to DSMx and the radio has locked up solid and will not turn off. The screen is on and only the BLUE LED. The RED LED is NOT on.
Will have to remove the rear case to pull the battery.

Note to self: Stay out of that screen for the time being! lol!
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Radio turned off. Can replicate issue - as soon as I scroll to DSMx the radio instantly locks up.

Have also checked telemetry with the D16(X)/X8R and see RX and SWR readings of 97 and 9 respectively.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is that simply setting the "Usr Proto" to DSMx? Doing that is OK for me, but without a module, so no telemetry being received.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

I looked into it further this morning. It happens when I go to MODEL SETUP > TELEMETRY > select type, but, ONLY if the internal module is active. Switch to the External module and it is fine. So, in reality it is unlikely to happen under .normal. procedure, but as shown, it can happen. And not everyone will be happy with taking the back of the TX off, which in itself is not the easiest of tasks due to connectors and short antenna leads ... -Another reason it should have been designed with a removable battery!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

RCHH wrote:I looked into it further this morning. It happens when I go to MODEL SETUP > TELEMETRY > select type, but, ONLY if the internal module is active. Switch to the External module and it is fine.
I obviously can't test that radio, but when you change to the external radio are you also changing the COM port to the one the external module uses? Perhaps that is relevant.

Only one of my 9x radios has both halves screwed together, and that is my 9xtreme radio as it already has all the mods I need (at least for now), and also I can't fit anything else inside that case, otherwise I would have to sit on it to close it. :mrgreen:
The other 9x radios are held together with some strong tape. ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

jhsa wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 12:08 pm
RCHH wrote:I looked into it further this morning. It happens when I go to MODEL SETUP > TELEMETRY > select type, but, ONLY if the internal module is active. Switch to the External module and it is fine.
I obviously can't test that radio, but when you change to the external radio are you also changing the COM port to the one the external module uses? Perhaps that is relevant.

Only one of my 9x radios has both halves screwed together, and that is my 9xtreme radio as it already has all the mods I need (at least for now), and also I can't fit anything else inside that case, otherwise I would have to sit on it to close it. :mrgreen:
The other 9x radios are held together with some strong tape. ;) :)

João

Afternoon João :)

I did not/have not changed COM ports. That would not be something a user would realise would need to be done anyway. Changing from External to Internal RF should be a one-step process with Horus.

I think I need to put on the latest flavour of OpenTX to see how it is done there, but I do not expect to have to change other settings by switching to the Internal from External modules. In fact, from memory, I recall both could be used at the same time. I know they can with FrOS that is standard with it. With ErSky9X (so far!) that is not possible.

The rear case on my Horus has not had the screws in for a long time - but it is still a delicate task to remove the cover. It is a VERY tight fit, and really could do with me having three hands to make it easy! lol!

And due to that non-swappable battery, I cannot work on the thing as it is on charge! Another bad design!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Both modules should work at the same time, just enable them both!
I've got the fix for the "DSMx" telemetry setting problem, a missing interrupt routine for the software serial.
I too am now charging the battery I'm using, it's gone flat again (7.2V 2000mAh)!
Watchdog now enabled and working. With that, the "DSMx" telemetry problem would have caused a watchdog reboot, so no need to disconnect the battery. I tested that before I fixed the problem itself.
A few more cosmetic changes to the main screens.
When the battery has charged, and I've tested this I'll post another test version.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Outstanding Mike.

I am wondering if there is any truth in the 'assumed' not using the Horus whilst charging it? I never did see a definitive answer to that question.
But if not, it really is a PITA the battery life, and mine is the same 7.2V 2000mAh pack.
I will have to get a spare one. Not sure where, or if, there are any. Might have to make one up.

Also, although not at all related to here, S1 pot on mine is already going 'gritty'. Not good at all, after what I estimate to be no more than 150hrs maximum of TX use in total! Off to Banggood for a replacement.
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Oh - forgot! How to enable both modules? Once the box for internal or external is ticked, the other box vanishes. lol!

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”