ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
RCHH

Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by RCHH »

:lol: Yeah ... Sorcery! lol!
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!

RCHH

Post by RCHH »

A5 flashed fine.
Blue screen still there, and long press needed to boot. Pots still reversed (not sure if you had fixed either of those Mike, so may be irrelevant currently)
Bear in mind, an inadvertent power on with Horus is nigh on an impossibility, due to the power button hinged safety cover/strap attachment point. One cannot access the button by accident.

6-Pos knob sets fine as P2, and has correct rotation direction.

Main screen left columns are no longer all zeros.

Debug screen 8/11 is indeed showing increasing numbers, but unfortunately, there is still no life from rear modules.
MikeB wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:24 pm Odd, I don't think any code assigns the volume to S1. I don't have a physical S1 connected so I wouldn't have done that.
It is correct that the power switch should be held until you get to the splash screen. THis is to avoid an accidental power on. I'm not sure why A3 didn't wait that long. I'll remove the blue screen and that pause.

I suggest you turn the volume assignment in the model to "---", and set the volume to 1 or 2 before testing "A5", which I shall post very shortly. I've done a couple of small tweaks to the module driver code. It should, at least, start when you select PPM without needing a power cycle.

Check if the left column of numbers is no longer all 0000s. While they are 0000s, then the output isn't working.
Also, on the DEBUG menu (UP LONG, LEFT a few times), there is a (hex) number middle left that should be counting up.

If you still get no module output I'll toss in some specific debug, although the right column of numbers below the main screen will still tell me something.

Mike.

Edit: "A5" posted.
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've reduced the startup time and hence the time you need to keep the power button pressed. I need to re-visit how that works as if you skip the splash screen, with the power buttong pressed, it may begin the power off by displaying "STOPPING". As long as you release the power button within a second of seeing that, it starts up OK.

I've posted "A6". This has a couple of changes that may well get the external module working.
I had changed the wrong analog entries, so I had reversed the two sliders in the middle instead of the two pots, this has now been corrected.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Will upload in a min.
Now that the house is quiet and the day of bedlam is over and the kids are asleep, I notice the speakers are emitting a continuous hiss. Makes no difference if volume is max or min.
Also, throttle reverse and the 6-pos knob settings (all 6 rows are back to zeros) are not holding on reboot.
In addition, Switch F (left shoulder inner) has to be towards me or a switch error shows - but that 'could'be a wiring/fitting issue with the box I have. I will take the back off and have a look tomorrow.
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

A6 flashed fine.
Bootup is much faster. Nice.

PPM is operating, but with the OrangeRX module and 6 channel RX bind fine. However, there is some very serious servo jittering going on at random places throughout travel range, but the servos do follow stick movements generally. I have tried different PPM FREQ length and no difference is noticed.

Great progress nevertheless!

Edit: It needs well over 6 seconds of keeping the power button pressed to reach the POWER OFF screen when booting up.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've posted "A7". I've added a delay on switching the 6-pos switch as a channel jumped back to -100% when using the 6-pos as the source.
Testing with a DJT and I get no servo jittering.
The pulse width (nominal 300uS) and the polarity of the ppm signal did not adjust with the menu changes, these now work. Maybe they will sort the jittering.
Because I'm using the DAC output, the amp is at full volume and the audio volume is controlled in software. This maybe the cause of the hiss. There is an audio chip on the board (Ogg Vorbis?). If I use that, then maybe the hiss will go away, but I think other things need sorting first.
The throttle reverse and 6-pos settings are stored on the SD card. This should be updated at power off, so I'm not sure why they are not being kept through a power cycle, mine are!
That'll be the last version for tonight.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

You need to change your sig Mike ...

"Miracles we do immediately, Horus takes a little longer!"

Haha!

Will flash A7 soon as possible.
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

A7 flashed fine.

Servos still leading a merry dance. Changing PPM settings make no difference.
If this helps Mike, fast, full stick strokes see no jittering. Moving the sticks slowly there are serious jitters, primarily around centre to 1/4 stick, and when stopping stick movement.

I am.going to try another RX (DSM2) and also try with the DJT and D8 RX in a bit.

Not looked at the other changes as of yet.

Edit:

Tried with two other DSM2/DSMX receivers - still jittery. (made certain my Orange module is serviceable by testing in my Sky9X tx. All fine)

Tried with DJT and D8 receiver - beautiful. No jitters at all.

Throttle reverse still not holding in hardware settings not model settings. 6-pos switch still not holding settings. Other pots/sliders holding fine.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If the DJT/D8 pair work OK, then I think the problem may be to do with the voltage level on the PPM signal. This drives to battery voltage, via a 10KI resistor and is pulled low by a transistor through 100 ohms.
Did you try changing the polarity of the PPM signal?

Are any radio settings being saved? E.g. try changing the Contrast setting. This actually does nothing to the colour display, but the value you set should be saved to the file on the SD card. This works for me, and I don't think there are any hardware differences in driving the SD card.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Tried changing PPM polarity. No difference.

Contrast does save. I whizzed it up to 45 and rebooted half a dozen times. Held at 45.
Throttle reverse does hold if set on a per-model basis, but not if set in Hardware.
6-pos knob set in the Hardware menu does not.

Switch F that I mentioned before had been fitted arse about face.

Sounds on SD card work, but wow! Superb volume! Lol!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I like your actual profile picture lol :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

:mrgreen: thanks to Mike! For the first time since getting it, it now actually has my attention. ErSky9X has that 'something' about it.

The FrSkyOS on it, whilst comprehensive, was so far from conducive to ease of use it was beyond a joke. Yes, I was not having problems using it, it was just so long-winded to do even simple tasks due to poor menu flows.
It 'could' have been a show stopper, but as is it is a downright flop.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I may be mis-understanding what isn't being saved. I'm assuming you are saying that the 6-pos switch calibration values are not being saved and that if you reverse the throttle stick in the hardware menu (highlight the throttle stick image) that isn't being saved.
Or, do you mean the settings are not doing anything?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

RCHH wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:24 pm ErSky9X has that 'something' about it.
As a heavy user and a long time follower I can confirm that. Mike does Magic with it. The hardware implementation and support on Ersky9x is unbelievable. Even my simple 9x radio with the original motherboard is better than most systems sold these days..
I can write, delete, retrieve models from the SD Card, and upload voice files, Two 3 position switches, etc..

The FrSkyOS on it, whilst comprehensive, was so far from conducive to ease of use it was beyond a joke.
Yeah, I had the change to play with a cub friend's Horus for a little while.. In the end I told him I wouldn't swap it for any of my radios, not with that firmware, no way ;) :)
He is still not flying anything with it :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

I still have a brand new T9X in a box up in the loft that I had completely forgotten about! It has been up there for what must be four years - maybe five! I have WAY too much RC stuff! I also found a a complete micro Slick 360 foamie kit too whilst looking for a box of fifty 450 heli feathering shafts up there! Jeez!

Mike,
The settings done in the hardware menu work as they should, until reboot. For example, setting up the 6-pos where each detent value is saved, it works as it did with the FrSkyOS (albeit with reverting to zero before the next value if moved VERY slowly due to switch design) but are all lost on rebooting.

Settings in the model menus are remaining.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't understand why the 6-pos calibration values don't get saved, when the contrast does. They are all in the same file that is always written to the SD card when you shutdown. Mine do get saved.

Please try the following:
1. Read the file "RADIO/radio.bin" from the SD card, zip it up and PM it to me.
2. Set the 6-pos calibration values, then change the contrast, then shutdown (I assume you are seeing the SHUTTING DOWN message after "STOPPING"). Power back on and see if the 6-pos values are now saved.
3. If not saved, please read the "RADIO/radio.bin" file again and also PM it to me.

Just wondering if the SD card is not getting written before the power goes off. You could also try holding the power button pressed for several seconds to power off, the "Shutting Down" screen should stay until you release the button.

I've got an audio "shutting down" message that will extend the time before the power goes off, so please try the power button being held first.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Bingo!

Righty. On powering down, IF the button is released sooner than TWO seconds of seeing the 'Shutting Down' text, the settings are not held. Two plus seconds held and everything holds remains after reboot.

Once again ... pure genius!

Can you make the 'shutdown' audio message a selectable one? My sense of humour dictates odd things things with sounds! hahaha!!! (only joking - it must be hard going working for hardware you don't even have.)
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Mike,
Now that the 6-Pos settings are being saved - I have used P2 as it's number in the Hardware menu, it knocks that actual S2 Pot (right hand one) out of action. Setting the 6-Pos to P1, kills of S1 Pot (left hand one) which makes sense? Will there need to be a P3 setting 'hard coded' for the 6-Pos perhaps so S1 and S2 pots can not be 'interfered' with?

Edit: There are six telltale bars on the screen for sliders and pots. The Horus actually has seven - the two rear shoulder slidr/pots, S1, S2 pots, L1 and L2 sliders plus the 6-Pos. Seven telltale bars needed?

Edit 2: The fix for the 6-pot etc. not saving, has put paid to the servo jittering with the OrangeRX module in both DSM2 and DSMX modes and both high and normal speeds.

So now both DJT/D8 and Orange things are working superbly!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If the 6 position switch is already part of the radio, then it should probably be hard coded? No need to assign anything else to it..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

It is. Slap bang in the middle of the face plate. And it is rubbish. The original on the pre-production that was missing a resistor was silky smooth in comparison. The new one has a loose spindle, can be pulled up and down and it makes it all feel like the knob is loose.

I thing I will pull it out, solder the required missing resistor onto the pre-production knob and use that one. Especially as I now can actually use the Horus, as even at this early stage, I can trust what Mike has done to port ErSky9X to Horus far more than I did with the FrSkyOS. I only ever flew that once on a small 250 size quadcopter, as for my helis there was no safe way to do a dead stop and drop kill for the motor! Well, at least not until long after I was banned from the dev gitchat thing for voicing very valid info about helicopters that was simply ignored and could get updated firmware by the back door! lol!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have hard coded the 6-pos switch. No need to assign a pot to the 6-pos function. I just haven't got as far as removing the option.
I've been changing the PPM output to be driven by DMA, to test it all works that way, as the DMA is needed to handle PXX/DSM/MULTI.
I have this working now on the prototype, took a bit of time to realise the timer used is a 32-bit timer, so everything has to be converted to 32-bit. The production unit only uses a 16-bit timer. This should also be working.
I've now started on adding PXX on the external module. The internal module uses a serial interface, unlike the Taranis, so that is some new code (somewhat copied from openTx to see the required format).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Is the 6-pos hard coded in A7 or for a future Ax? As it is with A7, if I do not assign a pot no. to it, it does not work at all. And will there be the 7th telltale column indicator for it later?

You mention DSM - what is that for? The old Spektrum DM9 module or suchlike? Or for the 'hacks' that were pulled from some Spektrum transmitters years ago? Never had anything on the Sky9X that used it, but have seen the setting there for it.

I have been playing around with a lot of different receivers with the DJT and OrangeRX modules and all are behaving as they should. No jittering at all. I do have an Assan one scatting about somewhere - up in the loft buried amongst way too much stuff. Will dig it out and try it. The only one I can't do is the Futaba RM12-MX as I sold it back along as the FrSky stuff was making it redundant. It 'should' work though for those that do have them and decide ErSky9X Horus flavour is for them.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you would like the 4 in 1 multiprotocol module. maybe you already have it? :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

If you mean THIS ONE I have one on the way.
There is another newer module - the iRangeX one I mentioned here somewhere, but as you remarked it has problems so I am wiating before going for one.
I do have a 4-in-1 pcb module I soldered into my little Deviated Ultimate Devo 7E (512k MCU) - I use it to fly all the little models like JJRC H36, HK QBot Micro, Cheerson CX10 and my daughters (6 and 8) flit them about with it.

Edit: I am thinking you actually mean THIS 4-IN-1 MODULE?

If so, cannot spend any more this week! lol!!!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, I meant the second one. The one from your first link is not a 4 in 1 as it has only one RF chip, the NRF24L01..

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

RCHH wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:47 amIs the 6-pos hard coded in A7 or for a future Ax? As it is with A7, if I do not assign a pot no. to it, it does not work at all. And will there be the 7th telltale column indicator for it later?

You mention DSM - what is that for? The old Spektrum DM9 module or suchlike? Or for the 'hacks' that were pulled from some Spektrum transmitters years ago? Never had anything on the Sky9X that used it, but have seen the setting there for it.
The 6-pos is already hard-coded. You should not need to assign a pot to it, I haven't on my setup and it works OK. There is no room on the display as I have it for another vertical bar. That will wait until I redesign the screen!

DSM is mainly for the hack modules, although it does include an option for the Orange module that fits in the 9XR-PRO. This can be moved to another module case so it doesn't need the internal antenna of the 'PRO.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Morning Mike.
There must be a difference with the production hardware as I have to assign a pot to the 6-pos in Hardware or it does not work. When assigned, to either P1 or P2, that knocks out S1 or S2 pots (poor naming of those - should have been P1 & P2 but FrSky did not listen)
If I do not assign the 6-pos, both S1 and S2 work.

Unless I am doing something wrong?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you set the 6-pos to "--", then go to the 6-pos calibration, does the 4-digit number on the top line change when you move the 6-pos switch? If so, if you set the calibration values, does the indicator (6P0-6P5) change correctly?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Am out at the mo. Will be a couple of hours or so.
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

MikeB wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:59 am If you set the 6-pos to "--", then go to the 6-pos calibration, does the 4-digit number on the top line change when you move the 6-pos switch? If so, if you set the calibration values, does the indicator (6P0-6P5) change correctly?

Mike.
Mike,
I got it! It is done differently to on the Sky9X .... I sit fully corrected!

It shows in the sources for the mixes, and I really do like how sources for mixes are set. The whole load of them listed on the one screen and simply scrolling to the one you want is a real nice way to do it. Brilliant!

If, in the fullness of time it could have a 7th telltale bar on the main screen that shows the 6-Pos position, that would be really useful. I know that would need a serious rewrite of the display, but I think it will be asked for.

I am going to fly a model with it tomorrow, as servos etc. are behaving just fine. Will also be bench testing an XJT module with an XSR RX later today.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”