ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by MikeB »

Do they, I still have both. If you tick the internal box, then the settings for the internal module appear, moving the external box to the bottom.
I was going to suggest T9 for a replacement pot, but I see they are out of stock.
My battery is now reasonably charged, so I'll get back to testing.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Pots are ordered from Banggood. Generally a week to ten days with them now.

And my apologies about module selection. It is as you say.

Am in the process of checking what happens if one powers the radio on whilst it is being charged. So far cannot see any difference in current draw from the charger.
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by jhsa »

RCHH wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 12:17 pm
Afternoon João :)

I did not/have not changed COM ports. That would not be something a user would realise would need to be done anyway. Changing from External to Internal RF should be a one-step process with Horus.
Well, as you probably know, you can only receive telemetry from one of the RF modules if both are ON, so you need to tell the radio from which RF Module (COM Port) you want the radio to receive and display the telemetry. Therefore you need to set the COM port to the correct setting. I don't think that can be automatic, but of course Mike turns the "impossible" into "very possible" most of the time. :)

Another idea, and this to all Ersky9x platforms, would be to create telemetry for both modules.
Something IRSSI and ERSSI, it could be abreviated to iRX or eRX (internalRX and ExternalRX).
iFasV, eFasV
iFuel , eFuel, etc, etc..
The same would have to apply to all telemetry sources. Perhaps the number of characters would need to be expanded.
Like this you could probably receive Telemetry from both Internal and external modules at the same time, and this would open a lot more doors for sensor use, and real time feedback from the model..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Agreed in principle.

But not what I was getting at really. IF the internal module was selected, and then someone by (mis?)adventure set telemetry to DSMx, then the radio locked up. And it is easily done - particularly when using the rotary wheel. It scrolls FAST! LOL!

I am pretty certain Mike has fixed the problem anyways, as he said watchdog is done and something else up.above, and I bet he can do as you explained above to! Seems to be no end of the buggers' talent and ingenuity with this stuff!
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ha ha ha, I couldn't agree more :mrgreen:
IF the internal module was selected, and then someone by (mis?)adventure set telemetry to DSMx, then the radio locked up
This is another problem. I mentioned the COM ports because I was just trying to help diagnose the problem..
That would not be something a user would realise would need to be done anyway. Changing from External to Internal RF should be a one-step process with Horus.
And this why I commented on why the com ports can't be set automatically. There are several different setups. Some people use COM1 with the internal module for example. I use COM1 for the external, and COM2 for the internal module's telemetry. COM1 has been originally assigned to the external module in Ersky9x for the 9X, before we even had an internal module available :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

"B3" posted. The "DSMx" problem should be fixed, watchdog added anyway.
I've got the trainer working on PPM. A bit difficult to test as I think the jack socket is wired for a stereo plug and I'm using a mono one, but I did receive PPM from a SKY board, and send data to the SKY board OK.
A few more cosmetic changes on the main screen(s).
I've also done some changes to the way the 6-pos switch is delayed. It seems to be better to me, i had to try quite hard to make it drop back to 6P0 between other positions.

The whole telemetry processing will likely need to be re-written to handle multiple sources operating at the same time.
What I do have in mind is to see if I can scan the com ports for active telemetry, and then try to decode the polarity and telemetry type automatically. Could be an interesting bit of code! When I get to do this is another matter.

Background music should be working, I tested it some time ago. The "inner" trim switches should be working as PB1 to PB4 switches.

I'm not sure exactly what to look at next. Varieties of trainer input (CPPM on heartbeat and SBUS) maybe. I need to tidy up the hardware menu. The USB joystick output and writing a bootloader are the other things to look at.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

B3 flashed fine to Horus.

DSMx telemetry issue fixed. Zero lockups.

6-Pos switch delay is good. One has to turn it VERY VERY slowly to cause drop to 6P0. It would not happen in normal use.

Have not got any music files on as of yet.

I am not able to figure out where the inner trims - T5 & T6 as labelled on Horus - show. Help! lol!

Not able to help for a bit with trainer things, as I do not possess a trainer cable of any kind. One of the pitfalls of being a miserable old fart that flies alone! lol

Has the haptic been enabled Mike?

USB joystick - that would be a nice next step. I can then get on the sim and not cause expenditure on crashing! lol!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The names for PB1-4 were not showing correctly in switch lists, fixed in "B4" (now posted). You should be able to see PB1234 in the DIAGSWTCH menu.
Haptic was not in "B3", added to "B4", but I don't have a haptic on the prototype PCB so I haven't tested this.
I've fixed a bug where telemetry from a Multi module didn't synchronize if you needed to change the inversion of the serial signal. THis was a general bug in ersky9x. I have, therefore, tested the software serial on COM 1 is working.
I've tidied up the hardware menu, still a bit to do on the pot detent settings.

I'll see about the USB joystick driver. I'll need to add in around 13 source files for the USB driver in general, together with their header files.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

B4 flashed to Horus no problem.

Haptic is operational. Length of buzz can be adjusted, but not strength. 0 thru 5 makes no change.

PB1-4 are showing and working in switchdiag. But I am still not seeing them in the Mixes SOURCE menu.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I hadn't included the PWM output control to adjust the strength, I wanted to make sure it basically worked first. I've now added the PWM code, so this will be in "B5" when I post it.
I have never added the PB buttons to the mix source for any transmitters. As momentary buttons, I thought they would not be useful, and you could always use a logical switch set to "AND PB1 PB1" and use that as a mix source if you need it.
The PB buttons should appear for use as a switch. I tested PB1 (actually PB1m) as a timer trigger to start/stop a timer.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Ideal.

I found the PB (meaning 'Push Button?) switches - I was looking at it wrong and totally misunderstood them. They are working fine.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You don't need a logical switch? Just use it in the mix switch field..
Ch7 100% HALF switch (PB1)

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

jhsa wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:15 am You don't need a logical switch? Just use it in the mix switch field..
Ch7 100% HALF switch (PB1)

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk
I did - at 11:30hrs lol! Easy as falling off a log. Can use it to pop the brake chute and dab the wheel brakes on my Typhoon ...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Well, I think I have the USB joystick working, but my PC is refusing to show it as a device. It is failing to show a Taranis as well. It used to work, but I think it didn't like my "upgrade" from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I can see a "Did not Migrate" event in the driver.
I've tried all sorts of things, including getting Zadig to replace the driver. Things happen and device manager shows the device, but it never appears as a game controller like it used to.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

go back to win7 :) :D Way better in my opinion :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

I have had the 'device not migrated' bunkum several times. In fact only on Sunday on the new laptop. One fix is to turn off windows fast boot. Has worked for me with a win 10 beta upgrade and the genuine 'bought' win 10.

As it goes, win 10 has to a great degree taken me away from Linux - and that is a first! Lol!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Tried turning that off, then rebooted (didn't seem to be any slower), but still got that "not migrated" event.
I've posted "B5" with the joystick code in. The USB initialise caused the watchdog to time out, so, for now, I've disabled the watchdog again. I'll get the watchdog back in as soon as I found out the cause of the timeout, but I've spent a lot of today trying to get the PC to handle the joystick!

If it works for you, please let me know what you get in device manager. I have, under "Human Interface Devices" a "USB Input Device", which is OK, and a "HID-compliant game controller" which is the one which has not "migrated". THis is using "input.inf" as the "Inf name".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,

I just realized Mute feature doesn't work when the radio is switched on with the left horizontal trim held to the left (to enable the Hardware menu).
I press and hold the Left trim, Menu and Exit buttons all together, then power the radio on, get a message on the screen "Hardware menu enabled", but then I hear the Welcome message.

This looks a bit wrong. Can you please have a look when you have time? Of course, it's not urgent at all.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm experiencing this on an AR9x with the latest ersky9x test version posted in the test versions topic.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It does still work, but you need to release the trim switch, to clear the "hardware menu enabled" screen while still holding the MENU and EXIT buttons, then release those buttons to allow the radio to boot up.
Maybe this could be made better!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Confirmed, it works as you described!

Now that I know how to use it, it's even a less important thing to look into. :)

Thank you, Mike!
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

B5 flashed to Horus no problem.

USB ... In Device Manager, it shows as HID > USB Input Device > running on port 00003.

Also shows up in Windows Control Panel > Windows Devices, Bluetooth and other devices as:

FrSky Horus Joystick.

Also shows up in Game Controllers, but there are no inputs active and it is not able to calibrate.

On my laptop, it was noticed and installed instantly. No fussing about at all.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What is the "Inf name" for it in Game Controllers please?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Not able to get at it until tomorrow Mike.

Will post as soon as I can.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Joystick also for Ar9x, skyboard and 9XR-PRO?? :D ;)

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Found a little problem with a compile (and AR9x board) of a github download later than 2017-03-19
(git clone from 2017-03-20 does work, git clones from 2017-04-01 and 2017-04-28 do fail)

In the mixer setup, the source field does not display the names of the hardware and the software switches (display is blank).
the sources before and after are displayed.
Even though the switches are not displayed, they seem to work

I found a circumvention (probably not the correct fix ! ) by commenting out the the compile condition of IHW_SWITCHES_STR in file str_indices.h

Reinhard
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That is the correct fix, I mistakenly added the condition when I added the Horus code.

General notice, there will a delay in development and forum posting due to the PSU in my desktop packing up, so I'll be busy instaling everything on a new PC.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I hope it didn't pack up like mine did, with an explosion :) HardDrive survived though along with a fan or two ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Thanks Mike

Reinhard
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

MikeB wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 9:13 pm What is the "Inf name" for it in Game Controllers please?

Mike.
Mine,
My Horus Joystick does not present in the Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

It only shows so in - Windows Settings > Home > search for Game Controllers.

Edit: Mike, is it possible that your firmware is giving additional battery life? Seems to be lasting a LOT longer than on FrOS ...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Normally NiMh batteries might need a few cycles to fully charge.. it could be the case :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”