ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
kaos

Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by kaos »

Ah, that 'correct' cleared up a lot about the switch warning. the ones showed up is actually the ones in 'off/incorrect' position. Hmm that is opposite to my way of thinking. I guess my brain was trained with the stock FW that all switches should be up/off is 'correct' when turning on the Tx. ;) either way works just fine.

But I did notice one thing confusing though, with the current switch warning, if the default switch is not selected in set up, then it will show up in the opposite way (the correct position/on will show up on screen although it was not selected in set up). that is confusing.

e.g. in set up only sele T E 0 A, when only RUD and GEAR is on/correct, switch at ID1 position, all switches shows up on powering on, on my ERsky9x.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's supposed to work that way:
IF switch warning is activated, then at powerup switches that are selected have to be ON (down), and those that are not selected have to be OFF (up). You can't set "don't cares".
It's the same in er9x BTW.

On open9x the switch warnings are model-specific, not for the whole radio. No don't cares either though for the moment.
kaos

Post by kaos »

Just curious what is the hx or logic behind this way of design for switch warning. Not meant to be criticizing, but my brain works like ok if there is switch warning, i look at which switch is where. it may be easier put all the switches on the screen and high light the ones are on (like in the display), and flashing the ones(whether it is on or off) that are not at the desired setting. a quick glance will tell you which one is on which one is off and which one is not the same as set up for. Otherwise, I have to remember which switch I set for on/off for each Tx. :? I can't even remember where I went a wk ago, let along 6 switches' position were set at. ;)
Actually, I don't know why I need those switch warning at this point of time except for throttle warning when I turn on the Tx.

Talking about this, I think this is really good if it is at the model selection. each plane has different fly character. one may fly better with AIL on for expo/dr, the other plane may fly better with RUD and ELE on for exp/dr. 3rd plane may fly better without any exp/dr. if the switch warning shows up when selecting the plane and gives out warning to remind you to turn which expo on, that would be great.;)

and yes, you can set it as 'don't care' , just turn the switch warning off like I do with my er9x. :mrgreen:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Well, it's simple - Turn on the radio, get the switch warning, the radio shows all the switches that are wrong, so you just need to flip each of those. The whole idea is actually not to have to remember whether the switches should be on or off at this point.
If one shows up then it's wrong, flip it. Once you've cleared the warning then they're all like you defined :)

But yeah IMO a global setting is useless. On open9x on most planes I disable the warning, however on some which have pretty complicated setups and a switch in the wrong position might mean trouble at takeoff then I turn it on and set to the correct combination.

What I meant by don't care was for single switches. For example on a model I use the AIL, ELE and RUD switches, and those need to be in a defined position, so I want a warning for that. But the other switches are unused, so I don't care what position they're at and they never trigger a warning.
kaos

Post by kaos »

yep, after I played with the switch warning about a dozen times, now i am getting used to it. It works, it is a matter of getting used to the way it is. ;) Besides, that was done at 2:00 AM. ;)

like you said some plane need certain switches on and critical, that is why I think this switch warning feature in the model selection would be great. After all, one Tx is used for many different model, especially ERSKY9x. :D

kaos

Post by kaos »

OK, drilled some holes on the bottom of Tx box. Now I can have direct access to all the ext. connections on the Sky9x board without opening the box. :D
1st thing I checked is the earphone function. it works like a dream, the sound is fantastic (may be I have a good earphone;) ), much better than from the spker (came with the Sky9x board) and automatically turn the spker off. Super!

I found 2 things, one is the spker volume although turned up to 23/max, the spker volume is still kind of low (to me, professional hearing loss a little, my wife told me that ;) ). Any way to further increase the volume on the spker that came with the ersky9x board? Just curious.

two, if you would look at this thread, a vid I made for audio demo.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1295

Initially, I thought my ID switch has a 'bad' contact between ID0 to ID1. After many tries, I found it is consistent when flipping from ID0 to ID1, the 'mode1' voice will be repeated twice exactly. not from ID1 to ID0. This thing is so consistent, I suspect it may be from the software instead of a bad switch. I even intentionally turned the switch from ID0 to ID1 with pressure at different directions or wiggle it while flipping.
preston91

Post by preston91 »

drill out the slots in the case in front of the speaker.
kaos

Post by kaos »

ah, I sort of remember reading something like that. I will give it a try tomorrow. thx.
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Drill some holes in / or route out the speaker grill , AND hot glue the speaker in place.
The speaker needs a solid connection to the radio frame (it makes a big difference)

We could go with a 10 watt audio amp and a bigger speaker , that way you get audio and haptic out of one device. ;-)

-Brent
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I've actually installed a speaker on my stock board 9x yesterday (for the "old" audio mod) instead of a piezo, and it does indeed vibrate significantly enough to know it's sounding :D
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

Try different speakers. The one I used originally was very weak but the one I got from Brent with my second board was very much louder.

Paul
kaos

Post by kaos »

the spker is from Brent. Picking up the drill right now. ;)
I will leave the spker taped for now though, until I get other wiring done in the Tx. Like a D8HT. this darn thing has one small board and one switch need to go to that spker area.

any one has any idea about that repeating 'mode 1' thing? (see my above post)

update: 24 little holes in the grille, definitely increased the volume by about 30%. this is the spker is not glued on yet, just with piece of tape. ;)
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

There must be no direct way for the air from the front side of the speaker to the backside of the speaker or you will have a kind of acustic short.

Try the following:
put the speaker into an exactly fitting tube of thin cardboard (some cm long) so that frontside and backside are separated by the cardboard.
You will be astonished about the difference and volume of the sound.

Reinhard
kaos

Post by kaos »

Ah, acoustics. How about hot glue all the way around the spker (after I put the D8HT in) directly to the case to seal the edge? or there is a depth of the card board tube is recommended?
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I think sealing the edges will work.

This is how I did it. It's a speaker of a notebook.

Reinhard
Speaker and a plastic frame
Speaker and a plastic frame
PARTS.JPG (27.73 KiB) Viewed 12607 times
Speaker put into the frame with a tight fit
Speaker put into the frame with a tight fit
PUT_IN.JPG (22.05 KiB) Viewed 12607 times
Speaker glued into TX behind the grid
Speaker glued into TX behind the grid
kaos

Post by kaos »

Got it. Thx.
kaos

Post by kaos »

kaos wrote: if you would look at this thread, a vid I made for audio demo.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1295

Initially, I thought my ID switch has a 'bad' contact between ID0 to ID1. After many tries, I found it is consistent when flipping from ID0 to ID1, the 'mode1' voice will be repeated twice exactly. not from ID1 to ID0. This thing is so consistent, I suspect it may be from the software instead of a bad switch. I even intentionally turned the switch from ID0 to ID1 with pressure at different directions or wiggle it while flipping.
Well, what can i say. after scratching my hair for a couple days, it turns out it is my voice programing, i had the ID0 on 'BOTH' and not realize it. with ID1 'ON' , surely it plays twice. changed it. now there is no double announcement. So it is a software problem, but it is the user programming problem. :mrgreen:
kaos

Post by kaos »

I know this is work in progress. Can someone tell me at this time how to back up the model setting to the computer , restore model setting file from computer to ersky9x, load splash screen to Tx?
once file is backed up to computer, can I use current eepe to open the model setup file?
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

You have to use Companion 9x for backup and restore for ersky9x boards. Some settings may change slightly. I have noticed this only with timer switches. eePe does not support erSky9x yet.

Paul
kaos

Post by kaos »

Thx. Paul. Will try. At least get my own ersky9x splash screen on it. :)
mundsen

Post by mundsen »

Hi!
I have a JR12x with a faulty CPU board - have found that it is to expensive to get it repaired, but I find it hard to trash it.
I consider to start a winter project where the goal is to modify it using a ERSKY9x board - adapt the case so i can fit the buttons and display..
The quality on the sticks.. on the Jr 12x is great, so I think I that if I combine it with the ERSKY board I can get a great radio.

Is there any problems using the JR sticks with the ERSKY9x board? Anyone else tested this combination?

My plan is to use the Jr12x + ERSKY9x + FrSky DIY module - then the module space may be used for bluetooth or other telemetry radio..

Best
Oyvind
kaos

Post by kaos »

I think there is a bug in voice reporting. Now I have hooked the Frysky sensor hub.
my Cvlt is 1.89 v on display but voice report it as 'eighty'.
also Tim1 and Tim2 is only reading under 1 min correct. above 1 min , it becomes irradical, does not report minutes and 2 min as 20.
and does not report RPM
Is this part still undergoing?
BATT, Ctot,A1,Alt all report corrrectly. temp1,2 seems correct, only does not say'degree' just numbers.
or this is something I can program?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Custom telemetry display and voice output are still in developement, and I don't have all the sensors to be able to test everything.
I'll look into Cvlt, for the display there is a 'times 2' missing, not sure about the voice though.
Is this Tim1 and Tim2 on the custom telemetry screen? Also the RPM on the custom screen?
"Degrees" is voice file 0047, have you got one of these?

Do report any of these problems, and I'll try to get them fixed. It is pretty much impossible to test everything, particularly without the appropriate sensor so I rely on this feedback. If you could be very specific with any problems it also helps (e.g. I set a custonm telemetry display value to Cvlt and it displayed 1.89v) I know where to look more quickly, thanks.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

DJT interfacing question for MikeB.
I've been using your posted modification of the DJT module using the jumper wire and the the 2R7 resister with great success even on the ersky9x board. Since all my 9x use this same circuit I'm able to move DJT modules around without worrying. I have however damaged one DJT module by plugging it into a unmodified 9x. I'm thinking I should add so "R" value into the jumper wire circuit to have something besides a direct short to ground if plugged into a stock 9x bit not cause issues when used in a modified 9x.
Any ideas on a safe value I can use to replace the wire jumper?

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
kaos

Post by kaos »

Mike:
yes all those voice is from custom display. I set a custom switch linked to 'TRN' I can pull the TRN and listen to the reading. Fairly simple to get all the bugs out.
only the battery voltage that takes a lot of time to run lower can't do it until they get to that number.

I have a copy of Playmobil's voice file. Surely enough, it does not contain 0047 file. where can I get the most complete voice file?

another thing is when I uplug the FLVS-01 sensor out and use the FBvs-o1 sensor, the Cvlt still shows a solid 2.10 v reading which I think should not be there, while the Ctot is correct with a 0.0 v. and the other display screen shows all 0.0 correctly. and A2 display correctly from FBVS-01.

here is some I found so far for voice output
==>for Tim1,2 (timer), they only read correctly when under 1 min (0-59sec) and it does not spk 'second',
for 1-2 min, voice out put adds all the seconds together: 1:29 spks 89 and no minute or seconds
above 2 min it is all random like 40, 20...........

==> RPM, custom display is correct, but the other display screens shows strange number even with a negative sign .
when custom display 3600 , the other screen shows -23072. and there is no voice for RPM.

that is all I have so far. hope it helps your debugging.
Last edited by kaos on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

ShowMaster wrote:I have however damaged one DJT module by plugging it into a unmodified 9x. Any ideas on a safe value I can use to replace the wire jumper?
Surprising it blew! The two signals are RS232 and they should withstand a continuous short to ground or +/-12V. The signal without the resistor is the Tx (output signal) from the module and is wired to the pin that was the 35/72MHz aerial.
What is damaged on the DJT?

I think you could add anything from 1K to 4K7 if you want to.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

here is how it looks on the screen, all same condition, only one place changed the custom display from cvlt to ctot
Attachments
here shows the ctot is correct  (using FBVS-01 sensor)
here shows the ctot is correct (using FBVS-01 sensor)
here shows the -rpm while it should be 3600
here shows the -rpm while it should be 3600
here it shows all vlotages are 0, which is correct without FLVS-01 sensor)
here it shows all vlotages are 0, which is correct without FLVS-01 sensor)
here show cvlt on custom screen is incorrect although the other screen shows correctly.  <br />also the voice for cvlt is a fixed 'ten' while should be 0. and not matchin the incorrect display of 2.1
here show cvlt on custom screen is incorrect although the other screen shows correctly.
also the voice for cvlt is a fixed 'ten' while should be 0. and not matchin the incorrect display of 2.1
kaos

Post by kaos »

one more pic , this is using FLVS-01 sensor:
cvlt is half of correct number as you have mentioned. vtot is correct. and all voice appears to be correct beside already mentioned in above post. cvlt even now using the digital sensor, the voice is still incorrect, it reads '90' (no 'volts') while it shows in the pic of 1.95.
vtot does have 'volts' in voice correctly.

one more thing. the A2 number seems like to stay there although analog sensor is removed and replaced with a digital sensor. A2 still shows 14.6 volt. (this is after shut down both tx and rx then replace sensor). now the custom display has a hard time to show cvlt and ctot until after about 1 min the cvlt shows up 1st, another min or so, the vtot shows.
I don't know this is frysky rx/sensor problem or the program.
Attachments
this shows the A2 still there with digital sensor
this shows the A2 still there with digital sensor
these cvlt and ctot appears about 1-2 nin after Tx/rx were turned on.
these cvlt and ctot appears about 1-2 nin after Tx/rx were turned on.
Last edited by kaos on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PNaz

Post by PNaz »

When I select a voice to read my Winged Shadow How High Altimeter the voice reads the correct number but always ends with feet. Changing the readout from feet to metric or vice versa does not change the feet readout to metric voice. When selecting the Frsky vario the voice changes from feet to metric correctly.

Paul
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll get to these problems sometime this week.

Pnaz: I assumed if you are using the WS How High, you would be using it in feet, currently, the value is not converted to metres in the software. Is it needed? Or is it just confusing that it does not work?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”