ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by MikeB »

I'm not even sure where I would start with getting eepskye to write scripts, and it sounds like a lot of work, so I doubt I shall be doing that.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, I thought so :mrgreen: ;)

I have just been playing with the logical switches on the radio.. Just scrolled down and saw the delay settings.. Still no idea how to integrate them in the switches themselves??
The small screen is really preventing Ersky9x from having some nice logical functions, like the "RANGE" one we discussed some time ago.. It needs more fields :( the same as with the delay on every switch..
There must be a way of doing it :(
Maybe a menu like the Voice Alarms for the Logical switches??

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Guys, here is something I found out by coincidence that could probably be helpful in some situations.. Please watch the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhXK25wKn10&t=0s

Apparently if your android smartphone or tablet supports OTG, that means, you can connect USB stuff like memory sticks, or a mouse to it using a cheap adapter like the one in the video, you can connect your Ersky9x radio to the phone and manage the files on the SD Card. For example, if Mike posts a new test version while I'm at the field, I can just download it, Unzip it (Need a dedicated app for doing that), copy it to the radio's SD Card, flash it to the radio, and test it :) Cool ;)
The only thing I have noticed that I didn't like is that android created a couple folders on my radio's SD Card. An "android" folder with some others inside, and an "LOST.DIR" folder. I don't think this would cause any harm and could be deleted.. Any opinions on these? Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

jhsa wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:21 pm Yeah, I thought so :mrgreen: ;)

I have just been playing with the logical switches on the radio.. Just scrolled down and saw the delay settings.. Still no idea how to integrate them in the switches themselves??
The small screen is really preventing Ersky9x from having some nice logical functions, like the "RANGE" one we discussed some time ago.. It needs more fields :( the same as with the delay on every switch..
There must be a way of doing it :(
Maybe a menu like the Voice Alarms for the Logical switches??

Thanks

João
For the screen size issue - get a Horus! Lol!! Cinema sized screen! Lol
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I'm sure there are some neat ways of solving that problem :) Horus is not a solution in my case.
I did save for it before it was on sale because I did like the first prototype, but when the first pictures of the final product started to come out, I was disappointed and decided not to buy it anymore. Now that I actually had one in my hands ( from a club friend), I am glad I didn't get it :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hi All,

I'm seeing a minor issue with Telemetry Logging configuration.
In the radio, I can browse through the logging rate options like this: 1.0s, 2.0s, 0.5s. I think it's better to sort this list, starting with 0.5s.
In eepskye I can only see 1.0 and 2.0, but cannot see 0.5s at all.
Also, in eepskye I cannot select the parameters to be logged - is that expected? (though, I'm absolutely fine to choose these parameters directly on the radio)

P.S. This is seen on ersky9x_rom.bin ProvR221e2 and eepskye dated 14-Jul-2017 (both from the ersky9x testing versions thread), running on AR9x.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll get the 0.5 sec option added to eepskye.
Originally I only had 1 and 2, the 0.5 was a later addition. To avoid changing the EEPROM values, an so avoid existing settings needing to be changed, I tagged it on the end. I'll need to add some code to get these to display in order, but still keep the EEPROM values unchanged.

Again, the option to choose the values to be logged is new, I haven't got round to adding it to eepskye. eepskye should, however, leave these settings unchanged.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Ah, understood. No need to spend your time to fix these issues - these are really minor.
The firmware is absolutely fantastic the way it is now! :)

Thanks a lot!
mentero

Re: THs timer trigger

Post by mentero »

Hi all,

I am starting to set up a 9XR-PRO with ersky9x-r220, and I find that using THs as triggerA and "---" as triggerB, starts the timer when the throttle stick is pushed from -100% as expected, but stops when throttle is moved down to -100%.
Then it resumes counting when again the stick is pushed up.

¿Is this the expected behaviour?.

The reason I am asking is that, (if I am not wrong) Opentx starts the timer THs when the stick is moved the first time, and continues even if the stick is down, giving a measure of the total length of the flight since take-off, and leaving the estimation of "throttle used" to TH%.

Edited: I just realized that this should be on the ersky9xr forum, sorry. Please feel free to move it there, thank you.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty. Douglas Adams.
jhsa

Re: THs timer trigger

Post by jhsa »

mentero wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:11 pm Hi all,

I am starting to set up a 9XR-PRO with ersky9x-r220, and I find that using THs as triggerA and "---" as triggerB, starts the timer when the throttle stick is pushed from -100% as expected, but stops when throttle is moved down to -100%.
Then it resumes counting when again the stick is pushed up.

¿Is this the expected behaviour?.
Yes, it is the expected behavior.
THs gives you the motor time
TH% gives you motor time, but the time counts slower depending on the percentage of throttle applied.
The reason I am asking is that, (if I am not wrong) Opentx starts the timer THs when the stick is moved the first time, and continues even if the stick is down, giving a measure of the total length of the flight since take-off, and leaving the estimation of "throttle used" to TH%.
But then you can only have motor time using the TH%. This doesn't give you the real motor time, as the timer speed changes according to the amount of throttle..

What you can do is use logical switches to do what you want to do:

I presume you have a throttle cut switch programmed. THR for this example.
So, !THR the throttle is inactive, and turning the switch ON (THR) the throttle is active.

So we need to detect the Thr stick is above -97, and the throttle is active using a logic switch.

L1 v>val Thr -97 THR (L1 is ON when thr is above -97 and THR is ON)
L2 Latch L1 !THR (THis switch is ON when L1 is ON, and will turn OFF when the THR switch is OFF (!THR), or the thottle is inactive
So, the timer will count always, until you have your model's throttle safe again.

TIMER1

Trigger A - Set it to ON
Trigger B - Set it to L2
Reset Switch - You can set a switch to reset the timer.
Timer Direction - Count Up

The timer will only start counting when the throttle is above -97 and the THR switch is ON. After that it will count even if the throttle is fully down.. It will stop when you turn the THR switch OFF..
Try this.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mentero

Post by mentero »

Thanks Joäo for the explanation and the workaround.

I understand that THs gives the total time that the throttle has not been full down, but I miss to understand the interest of the number.

TH% seems to give a better explanation of the throttle usage.

When I fly electric thermal gliders, I like to have two timers triggered with the throttle, resulting in an inspiring "Twenty minutes with 1.3 minutes of throttle."

True that I can use anything to trigger the timer, but I will often forget to do.

Anyway, thanks again.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

mentero wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:14 pm
I understand that THs gives the total time that the throttle has not been full down, but I miss to understand the interest of the number.

TH% seems to give a better explanation of the throttle usage.
Well, I started using the TH% longtime ago, but I realized that the flight time was absolutely wrong, and I couldn't base my battery capacity on it.
Then I started using THs, and that actually gave me a better idea of the battery status..
Today, I use the timer mostly for internal combustion powered models, or if I want to fly half of the battery charge and then fly later again. I use it just to have an idea..

The reason I don't use the timer, is that I have telemetry and the radio will let me know what the voltage is low. :)
If I really want to know the real flight time I setup something similar to the example I posted above..

But different people have different needs, therefore there is always a way of doing it :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

According to Companion 2.2, the openTx operation of THs is the same as that of ersky9x.

Using logical switches as João shows allows you to trigger a timer on first use of the throttle, and then keep the timer running until you stop it.

TH% uses a linear operation for the timer. This clearly may not be correct as at 50% throttle the current to the motor is probably much less than 50% of that when the throttle is at 100%. You may adjust this by using one of the channels (say 17). Control the channel with the throttle, but add a curve to change the channel response, then use C17% to trigger the timer.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

Hi Mike,

On another radio with an ATMega2560, I am using OpenAVRc, https://github.com/Ingwie/OpenAVRc_Dev ,forked from Opentx, and thought that the operation was the same, sorry for the misinformation.

If I understand right, I can have timer1 more closely related to actual power consumption using THs, a curve and a cXX% trigger, and a second timer2 giving me the total time since the engine was first fired using also THs, two logic variables and a switch, using Joäo recipe.

Anyway, the working of timer1 will the the same, and the operation of timer2 will be straightforward with the throttle stick used as a one-time trigger for THs.

But you are the developer ;-). Thanks for that.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Well er9x came first on the 9X (AVR processor). OpenTx was forked from er9x, while ersky9x is the build of er9x for ARM processors (and has greater capability as the processors are better).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mentero

Post by mentero »

I just realized that the option that I use for total flight time is THt, (not available on ersky9x) and not THs, that, as you posted, has a similar behaviour on both softs.
ShowMaster

ERSKY9x Questions

Post by ShowMaster »

I need someone to brainstorm with me?
I'm trying to setup a HK 9xr Pro with the latest ersky9xr pro fw.
I'm looking for r221 but for now 220 sn loaded.
My issue in on this tx is several stick channels, throttle being one are reversed.
I've tried a new memory as well as a simple template.
No throttle inv boxes are selected in radio or model mix menus.
Even the calibration setting is reversed on several ch. ail and rudder also.
I've selected mode 2.
A direct comparison to my pro that is correct, shows all settings are the same.
Obviously something's different I'm missing.
Taking a brain break and then I'll try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Power on holding the LEFT horizontal trim to the LEFT, this enables the hardware menu (as described in the HELP display from the main popup).
Now go to the RADIO SETUP/HARDWARE menu.
The last item is "Stick Reverse". Normally, the 4 icons should not be highligted, any that are are reversed. If any are highlighted, simply press LEFT as many times as needed to remove all highlighting (it steps through the 16 possible settings).
If any are not highlighted, then press RIGHT to highlight those sticks that are reversed.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'll check that first thing tomorrow. Eyes won't stay open.
No idea that option was there. We were trying to do all this at the field today and probably that could have happened then.
I'll post the outcome.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I had to check it out. Who needs sleep.
Ok, they were highlighted and now they aren't! The directions are correct but the trims aren't?
I had to push the left trim right at power on to get into the hardware mode.
I see on the r220 tx with gnus issue has a AR9X tick box where my r221 doesn't?
Is it possible was able to load the wrong board fw?
I'll snap some screen shots tomorrow unless you've got a simple fix not requiring them?
I'm all for a fresh start.
If I were to download the r221 fw from mine and upload it into his, will that work or complicate things a fresh flash wouldn't?

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Is your radio a PRO? If so you want the file named "ersky9xr_rom.bin" note the "r" in the name "ersky9xR. Perhaps you've flashed the firmware file for the Ar9x board..

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes I agree. Just got back to it and a fresh w7 install on my laptop. It was time! Explorer core was messed up and some programs wouldn't start.

I loaded a new eepe/eppskye and downloaded a 9xr pro version of r220.
It loaded ok and now everything seems normal.
I'm thinking my laptop issues helped in the mixup.
In any case, I learned what's in the Maint menu and how to access it and the hardware mode.

I would like more info on what all the settings do and when I want to use them?

I'm happy to report that I just tried the multi dsm auto mode and did a bind to my umx receiver Pitts, and the module bound, shows 31 as a rssi and all channels are working normally.

Thanks as always for support and hanging in there with me.
Not many in my club I can get tech help from, especially on these projects.

I do have to save this pro 220 fw and the root files mike reminded me of, to a thumb drive and then to the sd card.

Then teach this pros owner how to use the multi mode, bind, and telemetry settings.

I'm thinking I'll stay with r221 for now on my pro because it's loaded?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can see no reason for going back to r220 now.
Here is my list of changes in the r221 test versions since r220:
New editing method for custom telemetry screen
Fix search path for Helptel file
Extend to scalers source, voice alerts source and mix source
Extend to logical switch functions.
Enable encoder button for new editing
Fix Multi/DSM on 9XT and Taranis
Fix PDI flashing bug
Add MULTI Status processing
Add timers on individual telemetry items
Fix X9E switches bug
Improve CVLT and CTOT operation
Enlarge "multi.txt" text buffer.
Support MULTI bind changes
Add 8 more channels and 16 more mixers
Support FrSky Taranis QX7
Improve text editing operation
Fix trim bug when using Heli mixes only
Allow mix weight up to 250
Allow mix offset up to 250
Allow A1/A2 scaling to 1000
Remove FrSky specific alarms for A1/A2
Fix "model overwrite bug"
Vario tone enhancements
Stop background music on model load
Fix model move bug on SKY/AR9X/PRO/9XT
Fix model move bug on Taranis
Vario delay fix
Allow move of empty slot
Add "flash multi module" feature in maintenance mode
Add telemetry timeout setting in logging menu
Add 'Orange' Multi module flashing
Fix 'PRO needing Com 1 invert set correctly
Fix timeout when flashing large multi files
Allow .hex files for flashing multi module
Increase start timeout on flashing multi
Fix encoder button problem in SKY bootloader
Remove test screen showing image
Attempt to improve reading of "Multi.txt"
Multi protocol display always shows all 8 types
Add channel output bar at top of mixers menu
Make X7 and X9E wait for the power button release
SKY/PRO/AR9X handle Multi serial update on internal module
Improve encoder button handling.
Support encoder in bootloader and maintenance mode
Support ARM-M4 processor
Better support for encoder button when editing mix source
Atmel based boards support inversion for COM2
Multi module flashing supported for internal module
Support for Horus
FIX XJT FAILSAFE BUG - Check CUSTOM FAILSAFE SETTING
Crossfire protocol and telemetry on 9XR-PRO
Add simple (Basic) script support
Fix 9Xtreme serial "overrun" errors
Fix FasV problem
Fix missing "Custom Check" option
Change GPS default display format
Add support for flashing STM Multi module
Scalers support "mod" and "dest"

I notice I have an item: "Fix PDI flashing bug". I'm not sure what that was, but it does suggest using r221 when trying to flash a Multi module using PDI.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Wow, that's a lot of changes. Ok, I'll see about flashing r221 to his tx tonight. We're meeting up tomorrow at the field.
Now I just have to check out the link to it.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Forgot about the delay in the logical switches and the new logical switches menu? :)

Or will that only count when fully implemented? :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, both pros are using the latest 9xr r221 fw and working well.
That was easy!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, is there anything else apart from the two fixes you have mentioned on the "e5" description that need some attention when testing?

Thank you

João

EDIT: I also noticed that when in bootloader mode, on the Ar9x board I can navigate with the encoder, but not on the 9XT..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Also, just to let everyone know that I have noticed that the current ErSky9x bootloader version is 2.6
Perhaps, it is better to update, if you didn't do it already ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Possibly:
A "Run Script" on the main popup, not sure when I added that.
Timer trigger now includes C25% through C32%.
A3 and A4 listed in the logging menu.
The LogRate options should appear in order.

I haven't got an encoder on my 9XT to test. How is yours connected?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If I well remember my 9XT encoder is connected to the 9x mainboard.. The encoder was already there when I bought the 9xtreme board, so I didn't touch that.. And at the time was also the recommended way of connecting it..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”