Spontaneous reboot while flying and hanging shutdown issues

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
cmanley

Spontaneous reboot while flying and hanging shutdown issues

Post by cmanley »

Today while flying my quadcopter, I flicked the 3 position switch (my flight mode switch) into loiter mode so that I could adjust my goggles. I have voice sounds for my flight modes so I that I can hear what I'm doing. Well when I was ready to continue, I flicked to switch into acro mode and nothing happened and I heard no voice. I thought "what the hell!?" and flicked the switch back and forth and nothing happened. I had no control of my quadcopter from that moment and thank goodness it was in loiter mode. I then removed my goggles and saw the "Throttle not idle" alert. That was another "what the hell!?" moment. Well I closed the throttle and then gained control of my quadcopter again. That's scary: not knowing what caused the spontaneous reboot. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue using my 9x until I know for sure what caused it. B.t.w. I have failsafe set to RTH, but that only works if the transmitter is powered off or the aircraft goes out of range when using FrSky.

The first place I looked for fixes is https://code.google.com/p/ersky9x/downloads/list but I can't make sense of the firmware versions available there because my firmware version is ersky9x-r130 V.1467-Mike REVB and the latest file is ersky9x_rom_frsky_r44.bin. I can't find a change list either.

The other likely unrelated issue I've had a few times already is that the firmware hangs on shutdown. I almost wasted one of my LiFe batteries due to that.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Spontaneous reboot while flying and hanging shutdown iss

Post by Rob Thomson »

I know under open9x, this situation is alleviated by auto skipping alerts and warnings if am error situation like that is detected.

Mike.. Probably well worth getting it in for ersky9x?

Guess progress has not been fast on it with all the time you have been spending on Taranis :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That does sound like you have some sort of power problem, shutting when it shouldn't and not shutting when it should.

The code is present to handle a watchdog reset, skipping all thw power on checks, so it seems like power disappeared. We can't really detect that.

When it doesn't shoutdown, what is on the screen, the shutting down message, or a normal display?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

MikeB wrote:so it seems like power disappeared. We can't really detect that.
On openTx, upon startup an unexpectedShutdown variable (in the general settings) is set to 1 and stored in eeprom. It is only set back to 0 by a proper shutdown procedure. On power on, when the eeprom is read, if unexpectedShutdown is true then everything is skipped like for a WDT reset. That way any power loss results in a "safe boot".
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Any chance the 5 volt regulator is overheating and shutting down?
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

preston91

Post by preston91 »

I had a similar problem with mine a couple months ago. turned out to be a dirty power switch. I found that the power died when i moved the power switch just a little. I dripped alky in the switch and exercised it a few times. No problems since...

paul
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Kilrah wrote:On openTx, upon startup an unexpectedShutdown variable (in the general settings) is set to 1 and stored in eeprom. It is only set back to 0 by a proper shutdown procedure. On power on, when the eeprom is read, if unexpectedShutdown is true then everything is skipped like for a WDT reset. That way any power loss results in a "safe boot".
I'll slip that into the next revision! (edits done).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

There has been an inordinate amount of resets as of of late. I had another one yesterday, same deal, Tx was just sitting on the floor.

There is no rhyme or reason to it. This is very unsettling.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

What version of the board do you have?

Some of the early ones needed to get a heat sink soldered to the regulator.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As well as the unexpected shutdown change, I'm adding a menu to specify the reason for the last reboot (power, watchdog or unexpected).
This might help to find what is happening.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

Rob, I have the beta board however it had the heat sink added by Brent and I think he upgraded the VR.

Sounds good Mike.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Reacher10 wrote:Rob, I have the beta board however it had the heat sink added by Brent and I think he upgraded the VR.

Sounds good Mike.
What ver beta board please. I have a ver b and c. The ver b has no upgraded regulator so I use a 2c lipo, the ver c has the updated switcher reg so I use a 9.9v life. The c is my main use tx and no reboots that I know of to date. Maybe look at the temp and current draw screen after its been on awhile and see if it spikes?
Also hang a meter on the 5v buss and see if it drops? Of course the reboots being random could make it difficult.
Maybe disconnect, one at a time, the BL and see what happens over time. Then the speaker, followed by the haptic if used.
Maybe run without the sd card as a test, and finally a 2 cell or 7.2v pack.
Maybe while on and with the back off push on the circuit board and components as well as IC leads in case something wasn't soldered during assembly or from board flexing. Pushing firmly on the connectors as well. Unplug any added wiring like a rotary encoder or Bluetooth card.
I'm just brain storming of what I'd do if mine develops sudden symptoms? There of course is just could be that a component is failing and using a heat gun or freeze spray may help there.
Hopefully you have a spare tx to keep you flying while you work this out. Mikes FW patch to gather data should tell more so I'm waiting for that results.
Did you add a backup battery for the RTC and it's wiring?
SM

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've put up a new revision with the reboot protection/reporting in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

OK..I have r163 installed.

The board was one of the first 25 and was fine from the get go except that I eventually lost audio...SD card holder was the problem. So after my failed attempt to solder in a new one, Brent was nice enough to put in a new for me and while he was at it he did some other work on it. He put in the new card holder, amplifier bypass and 3.3v regulator upgrade.

I really don't remember if the first reboot came before or after the 16 channel upgrade with the Frsky DIY module. For sure it never had a reboot before Brent worked on it however the FW was updated at the same time. I suppose I could go back say 6 months to an earlier version but I have an 80" T-28 that is setup using 13 channels. I could set it up with Y harnesses and reverser's but I really don't want to do that.

I have been flying my quad copter with it quite a bit and have not had a problem. Every reset, I think 4 of them, occurred while the radio was idle. The other thing is I only had the radio on...never a receiver as well so I don't know how fast the recovery time is for it to link again but I don't have any startup warnings active so it should be quick.

It seems others started getting reboots recently also. Lets see if Mike's diagnostic version reveals anything.

Mike, I have a quick question...why do you think I had to change my frame rate length after the 16 channel upgrade? Any ideas? it was always fine at 22.5 but I had to change it to 21.5. So far as I can tell it's just the T-28 and Flysky channel 2 on low rates acting strange. I've flown my 60 size Spitty (Flysky Rx) and it was fine. I checked my 120 size Cap 232 (Frsky) and it appears fine as well although it flew kinda funky the last time I had it up, I really don't know what to attribute that to but the control surfaces are operating correctly.
cmanley

Post by cmanley »

I don't know what board version I have because I can't find the info on the silk screen print anywhere. I'm using the following options: switching regulator, headphone jack, and speaker.
During the hanging shutdown, the screen displays "Shutting down".
I didn't find any bad connections with the power button or the battery jack.
Thanks for the reboot protection change.
cmanley

Post by cmanley »

I don't know what board version I have because I can't find the info on the silk screen print anywhere. I'm using the following options: switching regulator, headphone jack, and speaker.
cmanley

Post by cmanley »

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The rev b boards had the sd card holder issue and it was mounted at the bottom board edge.
The rev c has the holder in the center of the board.

cmanley

Post by cmanley »

Oh then I've got Rev. B.
P.S. I found the change list file in the source code.
I normally only look in the downloads page when looking for stable releases (not work in progress).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think I can see a problem with shutdown. I think there is a half second window erery 65.5 seconds where, if you switch off in that window, it will hang. I have a fix for that.

There is code in, that if you switch back on while it is shutting down, it cancels the shutting down and continues running. So if you switch off, and the TX doesn't power off within a second or so, try switching back on, then off again.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaos

Post by kaos »

I had that problem too. mine is V.B with heat sink. It never had a shut down until one version with some audio code change. but it was also when I switch from 3S LifE to 2S lipo as power source. Like Reacher10, it always happened while nothing was moving. Never had a shut down during real usage. and it does not happen often at all. hard to tell what is related to. But inderesting enough, Mike did a a filter change for the center beep of pots. in r162. since then I have not had a shut down.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The revision I released earlier today has an extra menu in the RADIO SETUP. From the main screen, press LEFT LONG, then LEFT to get to it. It displays the reason the radio started up, one of POWER ON, WATCHDOG, UNEXPECTED. There is also a number on the display that is the contents of a reset status register.
If you get a reboot, I would like to know what is on that screen.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks Mike.

Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

Been thru almost 2 1500mah batts and no reset has occured yet.

This like trying to catch a nutrino. When I have it on and just sitting I'm like staring at the radio trying to catch that tell tale sign.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That new menu shoukld tell us if you had a reboot, even if you don't see it happen.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

Yeah I know...I just can't look away...I'm obsessed..lol
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

:shock: :o :P :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Reacher10

Post by Reacher10 »

OK...just had a reboot. Boot reason reads "UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN".
0418131403.jpg
It's been ON for about 3 1/2 hours. I ran A 2S 1500mah lipo I had in it down to 7v and then put in another about an hour ago.
It started off at 8v and it read 7.6v at reboot. Temp reading is 7C 8C max. This is with both the DIY running and the Flysky module.

Amp draw is between 263 and 275.

Although other resets have been with just the Flysky module running.

It was just sitting on the couch.

EDIT: I am not turning it off and will let it run all day to see if there are any more.

My guess is to try open9x and see if it happens.
kaos

Post by kaos »

yep, this will be a hard one to figure out. since you are using r163 that already has the noise filter in r162, so I guess noise is not the cause. I have been watching this for a long time. It just happened so infrequently, hard to put fingers on any thing. I have not had one for wks after r162.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The "UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN" means power just went off most likely. Checking the code, It looks like I'm reading the wrong register to get the reset reason, so the 0 in the corner isn't useful. I'll try to release an update that reads the correct register.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”