[SOLVED]How to install ERSky9x on Q X7 and update bootloader

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
interestingfellow

Post by interestingfellow »

EDIT/UPDATE> Here are the instructions as per this thread and relevant links
1 download "eep and eepsky for windows" from www.er9x.com and install it

2.0 go to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676 ,download eepskye.zip and extract "eepskye.exe" to replace the exe from version installed from above
2.1 download ersky9xProR221f7.zip from the same page. extract x7_rom.bin and save it somewhere you'll remember.

3.0 Turn on the X7 holding your horizontal trims inward for Bootloader Mode and connect the usb to your computer (if you are going to backup your existing rom, now is the time to do that).
3.1 copy the x7_rom.bin to the SDcard in your radio (for later). You can copy this over manually if you forget to do this now.
3.2 Run EEPskye, click "flash firmware to radio", select X7_rom.bin from your computer, ok, unplug, and power down
3.2 hold your trims outward and turn on the radio for Maintenance Mode. go to "update bootloader", navigate to the x7_rom.bin file on the SDcard, select, and reboot.

Congratulations! You are now running ERSKy9x on your X7!

ORIGINAL POST
I've reviewed the ER9x test versions thread, the QX7 review thread, and the QX7 info thread. I've even seen where mike talked about porting er9x to the Q X7, but can't seem to find a specific how to.

How do i get ERSky9x onto a Q X7?

Download Eespky, plug in the Q X7, flash firmware, and go? what about the bootloader; is that a concern? Are there bugs/limitations of ERSky9x on Q X7?
Last edited by interestingfellow on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: How to install ERSky9x on Q X7

Post by MikeB »

For the QX7 you need ersky9x, not er9x, latest test versions are here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676.

Yes, download eepskye. Go here: http://www.er9x.com/, and download from "eepe and eepskye for Windows" and install it.
Next go to the test versions link above and download "eepskye.zip" dated 14-Jul-2017 14:46. Unzip the file and copy the eepskye.exe from it to the eepe install directory.

From the test versions thread download the latest test version (currently "ersky9xProvR221e2.zip"). Extract "x7_rom.bin".
Start the QX7 in bootloader mode and connect the USB to your computer. You may wish to backup your existing firmware and EEPROM at this point.
After backing up, if required, run eepskye and click on the toolbar button "Flash firmware to Tx", select the x7_rom.bin file you extracted earlier and confirm the flashing operation.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
interestingfellow

MikeB wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 pm For the QX7 you need ersky9x, not er9x, latest test versions are here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676.

Yes, download eepskye. Go here: http://www.er9x.com/, and download from "eepe and eepskye for Windows" and install it.
Next go to the test versions link above and download "eepskye.zip" dated 14-Jul-2017 14:46. Unzip the file and copy the eepskye.exe from it to the eepe install directory.

From the test versions thread download the latest test version (currently "ersky9xProvR221e2.zip"). Extract "x7_rom.bin".
Start the QX7 in bootloader mode and connect the USB to your computer. You may wish to backup your existing firmware and EEPROM at this point.
After backing up, if required, run eepskye and click on the toolbar button "Flash firmware to Tx", select the x7_rom.bin file you extracted earlier and confirm the flashing operation.

Mike.
Thank you! That's what I thought, I just couldn't find an official-looking thread about it.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I have a QX7 running on ERSky9x and it works very well indeed. I've been using it that way since I got mine early this year.
interestingfellow

Does it still show up as usb joystick/game controller in windows?
Is there anything that you have noticed is limited with ersky9x over opentx?
Xjt telemetry work?

Er9x kind of grew on me quickly but I dont want to loose some function from switching to Er9x.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

What kind of functions are you afraid to lose?

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
interestingfellow

I do know that mike has gotten pretty damn good at porting the code quickly and appropriately.
I don't even know what functions *I would even need to ask about. I'm about to get dive into a multi module, as well as telemetry and I don't even know what questions to ask. I just wanted to make sure there were no easy surprises to get out of the way.
Kind of like not knowing to ask about the digital/analogue ground issue on the original 9x trim buttons... ;D
bob195558

Re: How to install ErSky9x on Qx7

Post by bob195558 »

Hi interestingfellow,
You will like erSky9x on Qx7.
If / when you have troubles, we will be able help you through the difficulties.
Good choice in choosing erSky9x firmware on your Qx7. :D
Last edited by bob195558 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you go for a multi module, you will definitely want Ersky9x on your radio :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
interestingfellow

Well...I'm sold. ERSky9x it is!
bob195558

Re: How to install ErSky9x on Qx7

Post by bob195558 »

You can fine more info here about erSky9x firmware also:
For User Manuals for now use the Er9x Manual find it here: (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473).
(Note: Being created is a manual for ErSky9x, but it is not ready for release yet.)

The 9XR-Pro is a different radio, but also uses erSky9x firmware and may have some helpful info too.
9XR-Pro Manuals for erSky9x: (viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5575#p79483).
Er9x / Ersky9x Video Tutorials: (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... qcuIqJXhb9).
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
interestingfellow

MikeB wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 pm Next go to the test versions link above and download "eepskye.zip" dated 14-Jul-2017 14:46. Unzip the file and copy the eepskye.exe from it to the eepe install directory.
This version of eepskye.exe will still work as before, but just patched for a QX7 issue?
In other words, I can still plug an Ar9x board into this version of eepskye with no problem?

Thanks, again!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, of course.. :)

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
interestingfellow

LOL....No haptic after ERSky9x flash

I unboxed it, fired it up to play around a bit, backed up the stock rom to SD (copied it to pc for safe keeping)

copied patched ersky9x.exe
unzipped x7_rom.bin
fired up Eepskye.exe
turned on in bootloader mode, plugged in usb
flashed x7_rom.bin
shut down, rebooted, passed all the errors, calibrated, turned up volume and haptic, and rebooted.

When OpenTx booted it would vibrate but I can't get haptic to work in ERSky9x, at all.

It's a nice radio though!
interestingfellow

Also, I can't enter bootloader mode to reinstall OpenTx. When I press the trims together and the power button, the backlight comes on, but it doesn't boot to bootloader mode; as soon as I let go of the power button, it turns off. I don't know how to connect Q X7 with ERSky9x to my computer to backup or restore anything.

IF I hold the trims apart and power button, it enters ERSky9x maintainance mode, but I don't know how to restore the image from sd card or connect to pc via usb.

I'm running Win7 (not sp1).

EDIT
I'm installing Taranis STM bootloader driver.
interestingfellow

Well, it shows as STM32 Bootloader in windows management, but I still can't figure out how to connect my Q X7 ERSky9x to EepSkye or how to restore the factory image I saved before installing ERSky9x.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Did you flash the "e2" test version from here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676?

When you flashed ersky9x please confirm the bootloader you used was the one you get, by holding the trims inwards at power on.
If so, the flashing ersky9x from there won't update the bootloader. Did you update the bootloader specifically after flashing?

ersky9x doesn't drive the haptic at power on, or when a (power up) warning is displayed, only when commanded.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
interestingfellow

MikeB wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:50 am Did you flash the "e2" test version from here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676?
Yes
MikeB wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:50 am When you flashed ersky9x please confirm the bootloader you used was the one you get, by holding the trims inwards at power on.
If so, the flashing ersky9x from there won't update the bootloader. Did you update the bootloader specifically after flashing?
1, Yes, that's what I did but now I can't look to see the version because it won't enter bootloader mode
2 No, I did not update bootloader. Where do I get the file to put on the SD card to update the bootloader? (I did google a bit with no success before asking that question)
interestingfellow

ERSky9x How to update bootloader

Foound it!, well, kinda. That's for 9Xr, but it still works

Get your the most recent rom .bin file for your firmware version, copy it to a folder on your SD card root called "FIRMWARE", boot with hor trims outwards to enter Maintenance Mode, "flash bootloader", select your rom, enter, enter, wait until it's finished, exit, exit, power off.

Done!
And now my Q X7 works with EepSkye, just as it should!

Thanks, again, y'all!!!!!
thweekender

Re: [SOLVED]How to install ERSky9x on Q X7 and update bootloader

Post by thweekender »

I don't understand one thing, is updating the bootloader a must? When I asked Mike for instructions on installing ErSky9x on Qx7S he didnt mention anything about updating the bootloader? I wish someone would actually write a step by step instructions on how to do the entire process end to end.
Whoever dies with the most toys wins. Malcolm Forbes
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I get “invalid video ID”
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Perhaps I didn't copy the link completely.. I think it is fixed.
I don't know if it is because this video is in a playlist..

I need to go back to finish what I started :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Still doesn’t work for me.

EDIT: I found that the problem is with Tapatalk. If i try to access directly in TT, I get “invalid video” but if I go to Web View within TT, the tutorial video shows up correctly.
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
interestingfellow

thweekender wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 pm I don't understand one thing, is updating the bootloader a must? When I asked Mike for instructions on installing ErSky9x on Qx7S he didnt mention anything about updating the bootloader? I wish someone would actually write a step by step instructions on how to do the entire process end to end.
Someone on Facebook was asking how to do ER9x on an X7, so i re-wrote the instructions in the first post to point them to it.

Are my OP instructions not correct? Please advise so I can update them.
thweekender

Post by thweekender »

interestingfellow wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:28 am
thweekender wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 pm I don't understand one thing, is updating the bootloader a must? When I asked Mike for instructions on installing ErSky9x on Qx7S he didnt mention anything about updating the bootloader? I wish someone would actually write a step by step instructions on how to do the entire process end to end.
Someone on Facebook was asking how to do ER9x on an X7, so i re-wrote the instructions in the first post to point them to it.

Are my OP instructions not correct? Please advise so I can update them.
that was me on facebook :)
Whoever dies with the most toys wins. Malcolm Forbes
interestingfellow

Cool!

Does anyone know if the most current rom supports buttons in the X7 for headers 400 and 401? I know mike added support in one of the roms, but I can't find the post about it, or...any post about it, actually.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Daedalus66 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 am Still doesn’t work for me.
Please try now.. Link updated.. Second video of the playlist. Maintenance and bootloader modes

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

interestingfellow wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 amDoes anyone know if the most current rom supports buttons in the X7 for headers 400 and 401?
Yes they should be supported in "f7" (and some previous test versions). In the hardware menu (hold the left trim to the left at power on to enable it), set PB1 and/or PB2 to EXT1/2.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
interestingfellow

thanks, Mike!

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”