Ersky9x Feature Requests

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
rsilk49

Ersky9x Feature Requests

Post by rsilk49 »

Every now and again I think of a feature or tweek that I think could be for useful not only for myself but other users. As an ex product developer, it was standard practice to separate bugs from feature requests which would then be considered when a new release was being planned.
With that in mind, and assuming Mike is in agreement, I would like to place those requests in this (sticky?) thread.
S500 + Pixhawk 1 clone + Mauch PM + C&T Telemetry adapter + 9XR-Pro (Taranis gimbals)/XJT/X8R

rsilk49

Re: Ersky9x Feature Requests

Post by rsilk49 »

Telemetry Screens: Ctot format "dd.dd" (2 decimal places)
S500 + Pixhawk 1 clone + Mauch PM + C&T Telemetry adapter + 9XR-Pro (Taranis gimbals)/XJT/X8R
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Screen on 9x radio is not big enough to display 2 decimals, unless you have a single cell battery. I think this is mainly why the firmware displays 1 decimal only.

Also, the accuracy of the voltage readings is often not that great that would make it worth it. A second decimal number would display the 0.01 of a volt. Normally the voltage dividers we use are not that accurate, so that info is useless and it takes valuable on screen space..
Mike, please correct me if I'm wrong..

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think the individual cell voltages are normally sent with a resolution of 0.02 of a volt. So a 4-cell battery total voltage could be 0.08 volt different from the displayed value. This is why only 1 decimal place is displayed.

What could now be considered is to create a custom telemetry display using LUA, then add up the individual cells and display to 2 decimals yourself.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is nice, but what is the point if the information is not correct?? ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

In my case, I use a Frsky FLVSS voltage sensor (directly attached to balance lead) which sends the total of all cells and is therefore accurate to 2 decimal places since there is no divider involved.
Same for the individual cells, since the sensor reads the exact voltages via the balance lead. This can be seen by observing the cell voltage values on the FLVSS screen and the radio screen -- they match perfectly.

Because only 1 decimal point is displayed for the total, in the worse case for a 3S battery, when the cell totals are 11.29, the valued displayed on the radio is 11.2 - a difference of 0.09 volts.

I would like to see when, for example, my total voltage drops to 10.55 if my fs is 10.50.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by rsilk49 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

There will almost certainly be some sort of divider (or level translator) in the FLVSS, as well as a reference voltage, for the FLVSS to obtain the cell voltages in the first place. These will all be subject to some level of error, so while it is displaying the voltages to 2 decimal places, the exact cell voltage will very likely differ from these.
Even a good test meter will usually not have an accuracy better than 1%.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

will usually not have an accuracy better than 1%.
1% of the scale end value !!

Reinhard
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

jhsa wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:05 am Screen on 9x radio is not big enough to display 2 decimals, unless you have a single cell battery. I think this is mainly why the firmware displays 1 decimal only.
Check the first pic. The timer display (Tim1) is "dd:dd", so there is space.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Ctot as 2 decimals is in my "ToDo" list for consideration. It is not just the display that would need changing, it would need to be stored to greater resolution, and anything else that uses it would need to be changed to handle the greater resolution (e.g. voice output).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rsilk49

Maintenance mode enhancement

Post by rsilk49 »

Would it be possible to add an option to discover the firmware version and country code of an Frsky XJT module installed in the external bay?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Unfortunately the XJT module doesn't have a means to get that information from it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rsilk49

Default GPS display format

Post by rsilk49 »

Change default GPS display format of longitude and latitude from DDDmm.mmmm to DDD.dddddd
This format is more familiar and found in some other radio displays.
Last edited by rsilk49 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

MikeB wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:25 pm Unfortunately the XJT module doesn't have a means to get that information from it.

Mike.
Pity. What then is the function of the Country parameter in the Protocol:XJT submenu?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't know for certain. I was under the impression that America allowed a higher RF power, so I have assumed this parameter set the output power level. The setting is only used at BIND time.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Default GPS display format

Post by MikeB »

rsilk49 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:25 amChange default GPS display format of longitude and latitude from DDDmm.mmmm to DDD.dddddd
The GPS format is already selectable in the Radio Setup/General menu. You only need to change it here once and all GPS values then use the selected format.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rsilk49

Re: Default GPS display format

Post by rsilk49 »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:04 am
rsilk49 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:25 amChange default GPS display format of longitude and latitude from DDDmm.mmmm to DDD.dddddd
The GPS format is already selectable in the Radio Setup/General menu. You only need to change it here once and all GPS values then use the selected format.

Mike.
True. But myself and at least 1 other user were unaware that it could be switched. The request is for the alternate format to be the *default* since it seems to be more common in GCS and elsewhere.

Also, this format is easy to enter in Google maps, which can help to find a lost plane.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Given the display looks the same whatever format is in use, I've added a label above the values to indicate the format in use.

I could change the default, only by changing the setting in Radio Setup/General when the general settings are created, but this won't help existing users.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Since I can't really change the default GPS display format, I'm changing the display format (in degrees and minutes mode) from:
DDDmm.mmmm
to:
DDD mm.mmmm
to help distinguish the display mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rsilk49

Post by rsilk49 »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:47 pm Given the display looks the same whatever format is in use, I've added a label above the values to indicate the format in use.

I could change the default, only by changing the setting in Radio Setup/General when the general settings are created, but this won't help existing users.

Mike.
This request is intended to help new users, so modifying the general settings at creation would be the appropriate implementation.

Edit : I just looked at r221e2. I don't think adding the format label on the telemetry page is very helpful . You may get questions what does it mean and in fact it looks a bit cluttered. So IMO, the change of the default format and adding a space in the minutes format are worthwhile improvements, particularly for new users, but the added format label is not.

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”