Stereo microscope for electronics

Want to ask about that much needed test equipment? Looking for something new? Check in here!
ShowMaster

Re: Stereo microscope for electronics

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I agree with Mike that 4" is enough room.

I've found that I use 5x the most and switch in to 15x for a closeup. The higher the magnification the smaller the field of vision. Having the dual objective makes switching the magnification easy, although the height does need to be tweaked when changing.

Here is something similar to mikes from a US source. Note Mikes has a 2x objective where amscope does not offer that in this squarish shaped objective. this model uses 2 sets of eyepieces to get 10x,20x.
http://store.amscope.com/se400-z.html

Mine came with a fluorescent light ring. It is cool,quiet and still working.

I use the scope for lots of things. got a splinter out of my hand :) also good for reading the part numbers on chips, escpecially when they try to obscure them.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I like the price. So if I order from your link will I get what you're using? I just want to be sure. You mention 5x and 15x.
I saved up for a Taranis but I'm thinking if I buy this Murphy's law will kick in and everyone else will get their order filled asap while I save up again ha ha.
You're welcome!

rainer

Post by rainer »

i'm using a dental loupe when working on small electronis.. full steroscopic, nice light and not too expensive...
They have a 3.5x magnification and can be adjusted in pupilar distance and angle. The viewing distance of mine is 42 cm.
quite happy with them..
but don't ask for a picture of me wearing them ;-)

something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-5-Dental- ... 2c6fb7d6f2
build your own vario ==> https://github.com/openXsensor/openXsensor/wiki (Formerly https://code.google.com/p/openxsensor/ and https://code.google.com/p/openxvario/)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the link. I've pretty much got the same magnifiers. You're right, they're not a fashion statement I want to be seen wearing out of my shop.

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

I got the one mentioned earlier in this thread for $299.
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... =30#p31492

It comes with a .5 barlow lense that attaches below the objective.
eyepiece 10x
objective 1x and 3x
removeable barlow .5x

so to get 5x and 15x the barlow is used.
10X_eyepiece x 1X_objective x .5x_barlow = 5x
10X_eyepiece x 3X_objective x .5x_barlow = 15x
so to switch from 5x to 15x you just rotate the objective about 1/3 away around. The barlow increases the working distance to ~7" after the fluorescent bulb is attached

If I wanted to save money I would drop the barlow lense and get something that covers 10x, then add resolutions as your budget allows.

I dont know if they have a showroom or allow walk ins but they may be close to you But I've never been to CA so what's close to guy that grew up around corn fields may not be applicable :) As the post linked to in this post my mom actually called them and talked to a guy on the phone so it sounds like they are at least approachable.

the invoice says
iScope Corp.
DBA: AmScope
72 Fairbanks, #100
Irvine, CA 92618
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I can see that the light bulb syndrome has spread to this thread also :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Question for randy
Is this what you have?
I'm going to order today
http://www.iscopecorp.com/5x-10x-15x-30 ... light.html
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370877011.221301.jpg

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Yes.
SKU NUMBER SW-3B13X-FRL
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Great, ordering now. Do I need any more accessories?

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Na. I didnt get any. I already had some alligator clip like helping hands for the few times that was necessary
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ordered, it'll be here around June 18.
Birthday present to me. Last year it was the hot air rework station.
I used my Taranis money. I figure by the time I save up again it'll finally be in stock or a second generation upgrade.
I'm sure I'll enjoy the microscope for years to come.
Thanks for verifying the sku#.
SM

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

congratulations and happy birthday. I was wondering if you pulled the trigger. :)

The only thing I recall about putting it together ( and I think i mentioned it in the earlier 'review' post ) is that the plastic threads are very fine on the barlow lense ( or the light ring holder if you dont use the barlow ). I was worried about cross threading it. I was gentle, didnt force it, and it was obvious when the threads were lined up. Of course it mighta been easier if I would put that thing on before I installed the head into the focusing rack . Then I could turned the head over and had a better view of what was going on :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the heads up. I just got an email saying it'll be delivered tomorrow, Thursday.
Now I have to find room on the bench for it, that and some projects to try it out on.
Randy, do you need a LA USBasp programmer resistor change rep?
I need to practice on something before I risk working on my own boards ha ha.

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

haha
luckily I dont have to that anymore . but the scope made it doable. I fitted mine onto my bench. Just add some pandora/bobby_womack/ray_lamontagne and you'll get the full effect
20130612_215548.jpg
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Looks like I've got some equipment to buy.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It looks like my desk :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I just opened my 2 scope boxes, wow that's a lot of scope!
My bench may need some extra room for it! I'm all set. I wonder if CSI needs any help in looking at clues?
Very impressive piece of equipment. Puts my head magnifier to shame.

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

yea that base is heavy. but I have had mine want to tip if I had it at the side and all the way boomed out. I lost hours looking at bugs, fingerprints,solder,wires, on and on.

It took me awhile to get the eye distance right and teach myself to get my eyeballs a consistent distance from the eyepieces.

have fun !!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I do have storage questions.
My shop is in my garage that will get things dusty. I'm thinking of a large transparent plastic bag over the Mscope. Maybe little ones over the eye pieces as well. I won't take them out and risk dust getting into the open holes.
Any storage ideas?
Maybe remove the head optics and store it in a better dust free place?

The optics head is held in place with a single chrome thumb screw but I notice there are empty threaded holes every 90 deg around the ring the screw goes into. Should I have only one chrome thumbscrew or am I missing 3?
I think the picture shows only one on the right side. My single one was in a hole on the left side.
The cfl ring light is plenty bright but I'm wondering if you've thought about a led replacement? I'd like to maybe reduce the mass if the cfl holder hanging on the optics later on.

As a test I used it to view a HK lipo charger that smoked and I saved for SMD parts. Wow, the board is full of crud and solder balls. It may be why it smoked. I never saw that with my eyes before.
SM

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ShowMaster wrote:The optics head is held in place with a single chrome thumb screw but I notice there are empty threaded holes every 90 deg around the ring the screw goes into. Should I have only one chrome thumbscrew or am I missing 3?
I think the picture shows only one on the right side. My single one was in a hole on the left side.
Mine was the same way. I thought I was shortchanged till I saw the websites pictures. I got over it and haven't had any problems. Had thought I would try to pick up a couple more screws but forgot all about it till you mentioned it.

I dont have any experience with the cover . Seems I saw some when I was researching the scopes. a quick ebay search on 'microscope dust cover' puts it in the $10-20 range.

Yes i had thought about replacing the cfl ring. I even have a bunch of smd led's I got free for buying something. Never followed through on it. I'm not so worried about the mass as it is directly under the head. The cfl is cool and quiet, if it wasnt I woulda been more keen to replace it. But if you found a ring that fit pretty well, I might be tempted to go that route and find/build a power supply for it :)

Yea it is wild to see all the solder flux and other stuff that you cant see by the eye. Looking at a clear SMD LED was cool. Have found hair strands on things I bought out of China, wondered if they were human :shock:

glad you are having fun . I dont know if I would store mine away cause lots of times having it immediately accessible makes it useable for quick tasks . If it was put away I'd just use my magnifying glass for those tasks. While that would work, the scope is much nicer.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good news on the thumb screws.
I agree, have the scope ready when I need it. I'll small bag each eyepiece in place and then bag the whole scope.
I'm going to buy a good optics cleaning kit to have on hand per their instructions. I can get all the lens cleaning paper I need but a good birdhouse with the air bulb is important.

Ok on the cfl ring, I'll use it this way.
Did you use all the extenders provided for the optics! What's your typical optical setup when you redid the USBasp resistor packs?

You mentioned it took awhile to get comfortable with the eye pieces and separation. I'm still doing that but close enough. I wear glasses and I reread to not use the rubber eyepieces with glasses. I'll try that later when I have shop time.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I'm going to enjoy using this,
SM

rperkins

Post by rperkins »

When I first got the thing I didnt realize that I could adjust the spacing between the eyes. that made a big difference. My brother figured it out at christmas :oops:
ShowMaster wrote: What's your typical optical setup when you redid the USBasp resistor packs?
I used the barlow. Used 5x mostly , 15x when I wanted to zoom in. working distance was a little over 7" if I recall.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Wow, great minds, all 3 of us (counting your brother) that the setup I tried and I think I like the 7" range. My arm mounted magnifier always has nose prints on it trying to get closer. If I use my head magnifier I get solder burns on my nose from being too close. This should be just right.

I hope I can deal with a piece of equipment that's hard coded and Mike doesn't have to write FW for. But wait, maybe later auto focus and also Jsha can get the ball rolling to add voice prompts to it to say "hello, enjoy your soldering" when I turn on the light.
SM

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Don't give me ideas :mrgreen:

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Almost bought a stereo microscope that was meant for SMD work at a radio rally (think they are called hamfests or flea markets state side) today. It had a bit of rust on the very heavy base that had two high intensity light sources on goosenecks. No nice cups for your eyes/head on the eyepieces which was a shame.. It had a magnification of ten times... Problem was the price. The guy wanted £100 for it and he wasn't willing to budge from that. Went past his stall a couple of hours later after having had a good look around and a few rag chews with people who I don't see anywhere, apart from rallies and it was still there.

The day was freezing cold with a fair wind (not good flying weather) with a continual light drizzle. That turned into heavier drops of water so for most of the stall holders it was packing up go home time.

So I'm still looking for a cheap good (yes I know the two words rarely come together) microscope. Until then I will make do with the clip on 3.5X lenses combined with 3.5x glasses, which isn't so bad.
tilmanb

Post by tilmanb »

kaos

Post by kaos »

Just received the cheap magnifying headset: http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-10X-L ... 36862.html
It actually works very well. It is not going to compare with a 500.00 professional stereo microscope, but I think for hobby purpose and occasional smd soldering it is adequate. I can see a LTC3200 or a 2.2 uF smd cap ends very clearly. A lot less eye strain than my prescription special purpose reading /working glasses then looking through a magnifying glasses on the helping hand. The led may be a little weak.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

that would be convenient to have it mounted to your head. 10x is a good magnification too.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Any new ideas for light rings? I think I could use more light if the price was right.

Return to “Reviews”