LCD monitor not working

Gruvin 9x development has now been stopped - with the development team joining up with the open9x team to produce one firmware.
jhsa

Re: LCD monitor no working

Post by jhsa »

Maybe they also celebrate the Chinese New Year?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

samoraj

Post by samoraj »

Hi Bryan!

Today I've recived my repaired board :)) :D
It all worked fine. So I've tried to use companion to work on my quadcopter template...

I flashed it via ISP and now the error is the same....LCD is NOT WORKIND AGAIN. :(
Could it be problem on my companion9x or something near that. :?:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check your CONTRAST setting in companion9x. If the value is too low, the screen remains blank.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
samoraj

Post by samoraj »

Ok, that would be under preferences ??
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

General settings I would say. Just load your eeprom to the computer and change it with companion..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

samoraj

Post by samoraj »

It was on 30...the range is from 0 to 45.
I've tired all in between

still nothing.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Just an idea. Did you try to create a completely new blank eeprom with companion and flash it to the radio?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
samoraj

Post by samoraj »

yes...and nothing changed.
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

Glad the board arrived safely.

Under no circumstances should you see a blank screen, if correct firmware is loaded. It's NOT a settings issue. The only logical conclusion I can make is that the firmware is errant. Either the on-demand compiler on the server that companion9x uses is broken (very unlikely) or you are downloading an inappropriate firmware version for the board you are using. (Or your programmer is broken. But you're using the bootloader now, right? So that shouldn't be the issue.)

Are you able to send a screen shot of the companion9x Preferences screen, with the settings (ticks) you set before clicking download? That might show a problem we can quickly resolve.

Meanwhile, I've attached a firmware hex file that should get you back up and running.

Bryan.
Attachments
open9x.hex
open9x-r1734. What gruvin currently uses on his G9Xv4.2 board.
(332.61 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
samoraj

Post by samoraj »

Ok..the board was working. So there is no problem there. That's why i figured that is something with hexing.
My computer is not regestering that USB as normal usb.
Is there any specific program that starts usb on computer.

So I used my USBasp 6pin connector to program it.

I'll put some screenshots from companion later
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

You need to have the USBasp libusb Windows drivers installed to use the bootloader on the G9X board, just as you would if you were using an external (separate) USBasp programmer on the 6-pin ISR port. Which is to say, I'm confused by what you mean above, since you have already done something to flash the board in the past. Can you not just do that again, in the same way, in order to load in the hex file I sent, above?

Just to be clear, when I say "bootloader", I am referring to holding down [UP] and [DOWN] buttons on the radio, while powering on. That should put the board into USBasp programmer mode AND show such on the LCD screen -- regardless of whether or not a normal power-up displays anything on the screen.

That in turn all assumes that the bootloader I installed is still present -- it should be, in your specific case, because I installed it before shipping the board back to you -- so long as you've not connected any programmers to the 6-pin AVR programming port and tried to program from there. As soon as you do that, you WILL blow away the bootloader -- definitely. (You can re-install it using an external programmer. But that's another story.)

If the USBasp bootloader is no longer coming up, then you have no choice but to use an external programmer, on the 6-pin port. Note that it *is* possible (though somewhat unlikely) that a messed up main system hex file could have corrupted the bootloader code. You'd have been crazy unlucky if that has occurred though and therefore, if it did, I recommend you go buy a big lottery ticket immediately. :-P

It is also possible, though again incredibly unlikely if only using the bootloader and not an external programmer, that the MCU's fuse bits have been messed up. The only way to check or reset those, is again with an external programmer, connected to the 6-pin ISP header.

ALSO -- it is known that several (if not most) USBasp programmers you can buy online -- including the one from Hobbyking, last I knew -- is NOT compatible with the ATmega2560 chip on the G9X board -- due to a bug in the firmware. The symptom of using such a programmer is almost always a blank screen after an otherwise successfully reported flash write -- as well as having blown away the bootloader, by means of the chip erase that happens first. (The gProg programmer obviously doesn't have this fault.)

This is getting a little complicated. Ideally, I'd like to concentrate on just one step at a time. Is the bootloader (USBasb programmer emulator) still coming up on the 9X's LCD screen, when you power-up with [UP] and [DOWN] buttons held in -- or not?

Looking forward to seeing screenshots.

Bryan.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I'll jump in as I've received a V4.1 board and gprog from Rob. Haven't used it yet, only flashed once just before leaving and also got a blank screen, I just put it in a drawer for now.
gruvin wrote: ALSO -- it is known that several (if not most) USBasp programmers you can buy online -- including the one from Hobbyking, last I knew -- is NOT compatible with the ATmega2560 chip on the G9X board -- due to a bug in the firmware.
OK. My gprog being apparently defective I used an HK usbasp, which would explain it. So what usbasp firmware should we use?

EDIT: Found this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1363#p29615
gruvin wrote: Just to be clear, when I say "bootloader", I am referring to holding down [UP] and [DOWN] buttons on the radio, while powering on. That should put the board into USBasp programmer mode AND show such on the LCD screen -- regardless of whether or not a normal power-up displays anything on the screen.
Didn't even know a bootloader existed. I don't think I've skipped too many lines when reading the wiki on gruvin9x.googlecode.com, but never saw a reference to it. Where would we get the bootloader binary from?
samoraj

Post by samoraj »

Ok...let' go step by step

1. I flashed with EN open9x-frsky on OPEN9X wiki binaries. I've tried with open9x as was attached above. Still blank screen
2. I didn't use [down] and [up] while power up because I didn't knew I should. My understanding of bootloader was that this is installed program to boot directly with USB connection (Image1)
USB port
USB port
it's not working directly to my computer..

3. I'm using HK USBASP (image2)...maybe this is the problem..although no error is shown while burning .hex
HOBBYKING USB
HOBBYKING USB
normaly flashed
normaly flashed
4. My settings in companion are:
image3.jpg
USBASP for m2650
USBASP for m2650

Where am I doing things wrong?? :o
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

Kilrah wrote: OK. My gprog being apparently defective I used an HK usbasp, which would explain it. So what usbasp firmware should we use?
You have a defective gProg? Then I will send you another! You should have said. (Or did you?)
Ah good -- because I didn't have an answer for you, having not ever needed to do it myself.

I hope that works out.

Moving on to the screen shots now ...
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

samoraj wrote:Ok...let' go step by step

1. I flashed with EN open9x-frsky on OPEN9X wiki binaries. I've tried with open9x as was attached above. Still blank screen
OK. Well that should work, once you fix the firmware in your programmer -- assuming the one you have is hardware compatible with the firmware you found in the other forum post. Hope so.

Oh and quite right -- the sodding thing does not report any errors! It took my two weeks of logic analyser and digital scope work to figure out WTF was going on, when we were developing the gProg programmer.
2. I didn't use [down] and [up] while power up because I didn't knew I should.
Oh. Well, I did include all that information in previous emails. I know my emails are often quite long. But they're long because they contain a bunch of good and important information. ;-)
My understanding of bootloader was that this is installed program to boot directly with USB connection (Image1)
The attachment image1.jpg is no longer available
it's not working directly to my computer..
The purpose of the bootloader is to replace the gProg programmer -- or any other AVR programmer that might connect to the 6-pin ISP header. The bootloader system is more reliable and much faster than an external USBasp programmer, too.

If you want to use the bootloader again (highly recommended) then you need to first use your repaired AVR programmer (or replacement gProg, when it arrives) to install the bootloader hex file (attached). IMPORTANT: Once the bootloader is installed, you should never use the 6-pin AVR programming header, since that erases the bootloader (the whole chip, in fact) before writing the hex file in question. Instead, you should hold down [UP] and [DOWN] when powering on the radio, to put the G9X board into USBasp compatible, self-programming mode.
3. I'm using HK USBASP (image2)...maybe this is the problem..although no error is shown while burning .hex
Just so others who might come to this post first, can know ... to the best of my knowledge, that programmer has the same buggy firmware that almost all USBasp programmers out there have and will NOT work properly on ATmega2560 chip, unless you re-flash with fixed firmware. You mentioned already that you've found a post (above) with information on how to do that.

To be clear. Last time I checked, the firmware available from the inventor of USBasp still did NOT have corrected firmware. Hence, ALL USBasp programmers based on that project (and there are many) will NOT work reliably with AVR chips having more than 64K of Flash. I have communicated with them, but got no reply. *shrug*
4. My settings in companion are:
... all fine to me.
Where am I doing things wrong?? :o
To be perfectly frank, the main thing you are doing wrong is not reading all my previous emails carefully and completely -- emails (or forum posts) in which I've put a lot of effort, to help you avoid all these problems. That is to say, I have mentioned ALL of the above before -- probably twice. Never mind though. We're all human. :-)

So then. The steps to take now are ...

1. Reply here to tell me exactly what appears to be wrong with your gProg -- just so I know. I'm sending you another one anyway.

2. Either wait for the new gProg or re-flash your HK programmer, to get that working correctly.

3. Use the working programmer to install the bootloader hex (attached)

4. From then on, use only the bootloader for companion9x. Keep an external programmer on hand, only in case something goes horribly wrong and you need it some day.

Bryan.
Attachments
bootloader.hex
G9X v4.x bootloader firmware
(9.98 KiB) Downloaded 691 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Just to be clear, seems you didn't notice you're talking to 2 people here - samoraj who you've been apparently troubleshooting for ages, and myself who just chimed in yesterday without prior mail exchanges.

I received a v4.1 board and gprog from Rob who didn't use it. I don't particularly have a need for it either, but thought it was interesting to have one for open9x beta testing. The gprog is apparently dead (LEDs light up and flash when connected to USB, but I get an unrecognised device prompt on the PC, and the mega88 gets hot). I didn't complain because I received it for free and should have everything needed to do without it anyway.

I tried flashing my board outside of a radio with an HK usbasp, and after that while I could see the LCD was powering up and being initialised (it got slightly dark, and the darkness depended on the contrast setting in the eeprom) nothing was actually being displayed. I stopped there because I didn't have time for it. I don't know if the board initially had a bootloader or not, and never read about there being one, but if there was one it was gone by then.
Now seeing your post from yesterday pointing to the usbasp issue I took the board out again and looked for a fixed usbasp firmware as I recalled having seen that pass by on the forum. Reflashed an usbasp (I have a handful of them), reflashed the board. Initially it was the same, so I tried a couple of other usbasp firmwares I found, but it was always the same. I ended up putting the board in a radio just in case - and tada, screen up... so it seems my problem (probably from the start) was that the voltage supplied by the USB port through the usbasp was simply too low to get the board to work right.
I then made sure the usbasp firmware I linked to was OK by reflashing that one again.

So on my side everything is fine, my board is now working without bootloader. As I now know a bootloader exists and you've posted the file, I'll reflash that on and make an usb cable :)
samoraj

Post by samoraj »

Yes I got an idea that Bryan didn't notice it was two of us :)
Yes it is me, who is having ageold problem with blank screen... didn't notice it coould be the USBASP from HK.
I've read all of our emails.....We only exchanged addresses, nothing about bootloader. sorry.

I'll try to flash my USBASP with new firmware or wait gProg to come.
When the bootloader is installed i'll try the usb cable via [UP] and [DOWN] powerup menu.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

samoraj wrote:I've read all of our emails.....We only exchanged addresses, nothing about bootloader. sorry.
Maybe he's confusing with a 3rd person now :D
samoraj

Post by samoraj »

look, it might be something, I just didn't register..
Bryan is very kind to me. I must say that...so...we'll figure something out ;)
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

Kilrah wrote:Just to be clear, seems you didn't notice you're talking to 2 people here - samoraj who you've been apparently troubleshooting for ages, and myself who just chimed in yesterday without prior mail exchanges.
Oh. Oops. I don't do well with forums. They drive me up the wall, when this sort of thing happens. Now we have at least two topics in one thread. Happens all the time. No one's fault but mine for not noticing. But there you go. Looks like Samo has got himself a free gProg on the way in the mail, anyway. That's OK though. Do keep it Samo. Not a problem.
I received a v4.1 board and gprog from Rob who didn't use it. I don't particularly have a need for it either, but thought it was interesting to have one for open9x beta testing. The gprog is apparently dead (LEDs light up and flash when connected to USB, but I get an unrecognised device prompt on the PC, and the mega88 gets hot). I didn't complain because I received it for free and should have everything needed to do without it anyway.
The mega'88 does get fairly warm as a normal thing -- though perhaps yours is getting hotter than it should. All the gProgs that leave here are tested to wor -- actually programming another AVR -- before they leave here. But some odd ball faults have managed to sneak through.

It's also normal to get an unrecognized device message, if you don't have the drivers libusb drivers installed. But again, if there's some other fault then of course the same or similar problem will occur. There's two levels of errors of course. One is essentially just saying there's no drivers, while the other is a bug red sign thing, saying the device is low-level defective. Not sure which you're seeing.

IN ANY CASE ... please read the FAQ at the project site, gruvin9x.googlecode.com as a first port of call.
I tried flashing my board outside of a radio with an HK usbasp, and after that while I could see the LCD was powering up and being initialised (it got slightly dark, and the darkness depended on the contrast setting in the eeprom) nothing was actually being displayed. I stopped there because I didn't have time for it. I don't know if the board initially had a bootloader or not, and never read about there being one, but if there was one it was gone by then.
It probably didn't have the bootloader, in that case. The rest still stand re "other" USBasp programmer and ATmega256x chips, unfortunately. Send me a private message via the gruvin9x.com online store site and I'd be happy to send you a gProg.
Now seeing your post from yesterday ... so it seems my problem (probably from the start) was that the voltage supplied by the USB port through the usbasp was simply too low to get the board to work right.
Hmmm. OK -- though that is not normal. All programmers I have so far seen will successfully power up the radio's display, albeit it at around 4.6V. Never the less, I do make it a habit to use the radio's own power suppl y(battery) when programming. IN fact, the bootloader USBasp thingy requires that.

Also -- the firmware fault mentioned for the USBasb devices is such that it is in fact random whether a given flash session works right or not. So you still might have a situation where it's working sometimes and not others. That would of course be unlikely, if you're using the firmware for the programmer discussed in that other post you found -- by Romolo, I believe.
I then made sure the usbasp firmware I linked to was OK by reflashing that one again.
Ah. Good. :-D
So on my side everything is fine, my board is now working without bootloader. As I now know a bootloader exists and you've posted the file, I'll reflash that on and make an usb cable :)
Good on ya. I think you'll agree, once that's up and running, that's it just works a hole bunch better (faster and more reliable than external USBasp programmers). That was not expected, by any means. Just turned out that way as things came together for us.

Sorry about my mix-up. <rant>Again for the record, it's common knowledge among the core team (at least) that I generally stay away from forums. (I'm here in this thread only because I was emailed to let me know someone was in need of help.) My pet hate with them is that the same information ends up being re-type over and over -- because of course, no one has the time to sit and read a hundred or more pages of essentially random information from before they came along. I far prefer Wikis, with known and well defined authors. ONE copy of ONLY the CORRECT information. But the world, it seems, has other ideas and forums are the order of the day. I am sure I am not helping by not treating forums in the way they are intended, being ignorant of whatever that is. Ah well. :-P</rant>

Bryan
aka Gruvin
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

gruvin wrote:It's also normal to get an unrecognized device message, if you don't have the drivers libusb drivers installed.
OK. In my case it's really the "this device has malfunctioned" prompt. VID & PID = 0000.

But neverermind, my usbasps are fine and reflashed now.
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

Ah. OK. Always good to have such clarity, though. So thanks.
samoraj

Post by samoraj »

Just to mark this thread as solved and to thank all of you for your support.
gruvin9x was successfully programed via gProg but only with Bryans linked software for 9x.

Open9x for '9X Radios with Fr-Sky telemetry modification on http://code.google.com/p/open9x/wiki/Binaries does not work.

don't know why.
well my quadcopter is finaly up in the air :D

THANKS AGAIN
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

samoraj wrote:Open9x for '9X Radios with Fr-Sky telemetry modification on http://code.google.com/p/open9x/wiki/Binaries does not work.

don't know why.
Because those are all for stock board, not for a gruvin board!

You should download the binaries through companion9x, with the proper board and options selected.
samoraj

Re: LCD monitor not working

Post by samoraj »

oh ....now I see.
I'll try that at home
Attachments
g9x_settings.jpg
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

"What he said" ... and it's recommended to run the later versions, from there -- although the old adage, "If it aint broke, don't fix it" applies just as well, I suppose.

Glad you got it going!

Bryan.
samoraj

Post by samoraj »

I'm glad toooooooo :)
after year of all the trouble ;)

Bryan, you deserve tons of chocolate :)
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »