DSM2 work

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
cre8tiveleo

Re: DSM2 work

Post by cre8tiveleo »

It needs it's own clean source, not one that is drawn upon along with other components

pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

DX4e is a high power module, so you can't use the 3.3 volt regulator on the 9X PCB.
You have to build an external one.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Reading the thread it seemed like deadaim was looking to install a module from a dx4e using just a 3.3v reg. I am just trying to clarify what he needs before he has trouble.
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

:shock: Ok now I am really lost here.Just what do I need for this mod?
Tom
Daryoon

Post by Daryoon »

LOL. Reading everyone's reply, I can see how it's confusing Tom even more.

Tom: I think you understood properly before the recent replies. Grab the 3.3v regulator from the DX4e and reuse it in the 9x. Just connect the 9x 5v power source to the + input pin. The middle legs will output the proper 3.3v that the ATMX11 DSM module needs.

uphiearl

Post by uphiearl »

Yes it is high power, but the 5vdc in the er9x has a lot to spare, thus 5 > 3.3 is ok. You can use the battery voltage if your not sure.
I use a 2c lipo so I have ~8 vdc on battery side.
Earl
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

I couldn't read the schematic posted earlier and just found the full size version. I hadn't seen that posted before. What does the extra circuitry(looks like 2 extra capacitors) in that schematic do that is different than just running the 3v reg right off the 9x 5v power and feeding the module directly? This is how I have my low power module powered.

This is the schematic I referenced. http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... hifter.jpg

I'm just confused by the references to using a UBEC over the regulator that is more than likely present in the donor radios. It's free, smaller and comes with the donor.
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

One cap is there to act as a filter for the incoming power. The second one provides a bit of filtering action on the output.
They could be seen as "extra", but some regulators require them to prevent oscillations. In the image posted earlier of the DX4e PCB both are present.

When I posted the schematic (originally on RCG) I included them because:
Caps are cheap
The data sheets always show them
I posted what I used and knew would work, not some variation of it.

Same goes for the 4K7 pull up resistor. Some were able to get the module to work with only the diode.
Mine did not work without it so it was safest to put one in the schematic.

Pat MacKenzie
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I have been thinking...

You know the high powered modules haver a number of additional 'pins' on them - and we only use 2 of them?

What are the chances that the other pins are providing the DSM telemetry information in a serial format?

I know it is only the DX8 and higher currently that do telemetry.. but I have a suspicion that this is for no reason other than marketing of the bigger set.

Assuming it does provide the telemetry... then I guess the hard bit is decoding it. After that you the bulk of the frsky code would probably work (assuming the decode process simply was a translation from one format to another)

No idea if any of this has any substance. I dont even fly DSM (bar the micro's). But maybe it is worth a play?

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

I posted the pinout config months ago. It has what you say. You can also update the firmware if you want.

1 GND Module Ground
2 VDD Module power input
3 IRQ Interrupt Request
4 RST Reset, active High
5 MOSI Master out, slave In data
6 nSS Slave Select, Active Low
7 SCLK SPI data clock
8 MISO Master in, slave out data
9 GND Module Ground
10 XOUT Clock output from module
11 TXRX Switch antenna to transmit direction
12 RXTX Switch antenna to receive direction

That info was from a spektrum document I found.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

double post.
Last edited by cre8tiveleo on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Crucial wrote:...I'm just confused by the references to using a UBEC over the regulator that is more than likely present in the donor radios. It's free, smaller and comes with the donor.

For those who have them lying around, don't feel like removing the regulator from another tx, or who wish to use battery source, rather than 5v source , a ubec is the way to go.(it also alows the hp tx module to draw whatever amount of power it needs without browning out at any point) It was an option. I'll remove the reference so it won't confuse people. simple solution, not so simple to understand. go figure.

So I read the wiki.. ther e is no confusion...

For the high powered modules, or full range modules you do require a reliable 3.3v source.
I used a 3.3v 3amp ubec I picked up from hobby king. It was a quick cheap solution and I have a few laying around.

Another method is to use a voltage regulator, you can canabalize one from the donor transmitter
and install it into your radio without issue.

This is the circuit diagram I used to power the HP module. You can use it too for the LP module. Instead of a voltage regulator, I used a ubec.

There are always more ways to skin a cat. Whatever works for you , do it. I like presenting all options. :ugeek:
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

My questioning it isn't meant to criticize your contributions or ideas. I don't have enough knowledge to design the circuits and only use the info given by others. I just know how I read through the different resources and from what I had read it seemed like the separate 3.3v reg wouldn't be sufficient. When I implemented my mod I don't believe the wiki entry was done so I was going off the info from the threads here and a guide Rob had posted. It's very possible that most of the info I read about the 3.3v reg was geared towards using the on board reg found on the 9x main board and that's where my confusion came from.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

It's all good, I'm having an off weekend.
Wife is uber sick for the past few days, yesterday watermain burst on our street at 1pm, so we haven't had any water since, just a bad weekend/week ... need a beer.

:)

I like doing things the simple way, if it's made, use it.. if you need to make it, then make it. Sorry if I came off a little purturbed. perturbed? I dislike Canadian English.
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

cre8tiveleo wrote:
Crucial wrote:...I'm just confused by the references to using a UBEC over the regulator that is more than likely present in the donor radios. It's free, smaller and comes with the donor.
I'll remove the reference so it won't confuse people. simple solution, not so simple to understand. go figure.

O NO,please don't remove it!!!
It was just other post here confused me,you wiki is great!!
Thanks
for all your help and everyone else.
Tom
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Thanks, like I mentioned, off weekend. It's all safe, just added a 'u' to 'yo' , typos rule.

I'm flying my Night Vapour in the office, so life is better. :D
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

DSM2 work

Post by Rob Thomson »

I think all feedback on wiki info - good or bad - is important.

Content is normally written by someone who understands what they are trying to achieve. Bit that does not mean it is understandable by someone who is trying to find out what to do!

So please do point out areas of confusion and suggest alternatives where possible.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Even suggest alternatives for solutions that are posted. you may have done something that achieves the same results, but in a different manner. The more info there is for wiki, the more powerful a resource tool it becomes.
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

cre8tiveleo wrote: just a bad weekend/week ... need a beer.

:)
:o Don't have a beer but here>> :D Well not even popcorn in the smilies over there,WE NEED SOME MORE SMILIES!!
I think I will just wait until my UBEC comes in,it looks easer then the regulator.
Been thinking about the antenna thingy.
How about if I remove the stock antenna from the top of the tx and remove module.Next do the antenna mod and install the antenna on the back of the module.(SEEN THIS ON HACKSMOD)
Then install the DSM antenna to the top of the tx.
What do you guys think??
If I do this,with the stock antenna on the back of the module,is it ok to roll the extra antenna wire up to stuff it all innside the module?There is alot of wire there that need to go somewhere. :? Or does it have to be striched out and not rolled up.

Tom
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

You can stuff it inside.
There are video tutorials out there on Youtube as well.
Do it! :)
:popcorn:
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

That is exactly how I did mine. Put stock antenna in module and put the dsm in the top.
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

:D Got the antenna mod done and everything is working fine.Just one question,will the metal handle interfear with the range?
Now I just have to wait for the UBEC to come in.

Thanks guys for all the help
Tom
Attachments
P2260042.JPG
P2260041.JPG
cre8tiveleo

DSM2 work

Post by cre8tiveleo »

Looks good!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qheg0b
pesadilla

Post by pesadilla »

Hi Guys,

I've been using my Turnigy transmitter with ER9x and a low power DSM module (coming from a LP5DSM transmitter) for a few months now without any issues or problems... until yesterday that is!!

At the end of a great flying evening (indoors) I had several brown outs to different planes, each time: connection lost, led on (orange) receiver went out and came back on a few seconds later.

My DSM module gets it 3.3 volt from the onboard voltage regulator, should be no problem since it's a low power module.
I only used a diode, so no resistor on the module.(did my mod before there was that great WIKI)
Power for the TX comes from a 3S lipo that gives 10.7 v (at this moment, without recharging after yesterdays brown outs)
As said: this setup has been working perfect for a few months now and the only thing I changed was putting the latest ER9x firmware on the TX yesterday afternoon.

I'm trying to reproduce the brown out at home but connection stays good...
Distance was certainly not the cause, it happened when TX and plane only a few feet (meters) apart.

I'm aware that using a separate voltage regulator is the best thing to do (there's one on it's way from HK) and I'm planning on replacing the low power module with a high power module from a DX5 and adding a resistor as mentioned in the wiki.

The thing that worries me (bothers me) is: why did it work perfectly for several months? Could it be that something changed with the newer version of ER9x? I think I was on 644 before, most recent one now.

I would like to have your opinions on what could have caused these brown outs.

Thanks.

Greetz

Pesadilla
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

For short range I would not worry about the handle, but for long range I would follow JR/Spektrum's lead and get the antenna up and away from it.
Here is my LP module that I use indoors. No problems with range in the gym.
lp back.jpg
Here is what I will put my DX4e module in for outdoors:
long range back.jpg

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

pesadilla wrote:Hi Guys,

I've been using my Turnigy transmitter with ER9x and a low power DSM module (coming from a LP5DSM transmitter) for a few months now without any issues or problems... until yesterday that is!!

At the end of a great flying evening (indoors) I had several brown outs to different planes, each time: connection lost, led on (orange) receiver went out and came back on a few seconds later.
What model are the receivers?
Any flashing on the receiver's LED to indicate brown outs (receiver power problem) versus fades (RF link lost)?

FWIW, I am still using r667, with added 11msec mode. No problems at all.
Here is my MCPx from earlier today, flown with ER9X :D
inverted.jpg
inverted.jpg (10.74 KiB) Viewed 21437 times
And here is my Animal:
animal in hover.jpg
I will have to check out the latest files and make sure they are still working properly.

Pat MacKenzie
deadaim57

Post by deadaim57 »

pmackenzie wrote:For short range I would not worry about the handle, but for long range I would follow JR/Spektrum's lead and get the antenna up and away from it.
Here is my LP module that I use indoors. No problems with range in the gym.

Well I could remove the handle,would that take care of it?
Most of the time I don't use it.
Tom
pesadilla

Post by pesadilla »

Hi Pat,

The receivers I use are those cheap orange receivers from HK.
I use them in almost all my planes and had no issues so far.

The led on the receiver goes out and turns back on a few seconds later, no flashing of that RX led at all.

The strange thing is that I've been flying this setup for weeks and even yesterday all went well during several hours until the end of the evening. Could it be that the voltage of my Lipo dropped to low to provide enough voltage to the onboard 3.3 regulator?
Or maybe a temperature problem? The indoor hall has no heating, maybe the Lipo didn't deliver enough power after being in the cold a few hours? I'm just guessing here.....
Charging my Lipo could solve this problem but I have been trying to recreate the problem at home (before charging the Lipo) but I simply can't recreate it.

** edit: forgot to mention: it happened on 2 planes, each with its own receiver and each plane flew earlier the same evening.

Greetz,

Pesadilla
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

I would have thought that the TX would have been rebooting or the battery alarm would have been going off long before the 3.3 volt supply would have had any issues.
pesadilla

Post by pesadilla »

pmackenzie wrote:I would have thought that the TX would have been rebooting or the battery alarm would have been going off long before the 3.3 volt supply would have had any issues.
I'm just guessing, trying to find what causes the problem because the confidence is somewhat gone...
I was lucky yesterday, no planes crashed (badly) so no damage but if it would happen in mid-air at some speed...

I'm using the "LP4, LP5" protocol since the module comes from a LP5DSM (low power transmitter).
But the "DSM2" protocol seems to work also with that RX.
Could that change anything?

Another thing I just thought about I upgraded the firmware but I also added some planes to the memory.
I now have about 10 planes stored in my TX, so there's less memory left over (compared to the weeks before).
Just guessing again that maybe lesser memory could mean lesser perfomance of the TX?

If only I could recreate the problem, I could do some testing.

Greetz,

Pesadilla

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”