The end of the DSM mod...

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
ShowMaster

Re: The end of the DSM mod...

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah and I have been pounding HK about their damage control statement shifting the bad orange DSM module blame to we customers.
First it was give us a few days, now give us to Nov 24.
I'll bet they could use the expertise on this forum about now. If fact I'll bet it would never got to market like this if it has been beta tested by some of our smart persons.
I wonder if they'll eat the postage charges if we are able to send them back for a fix ?
So far my dx4e module I made thanks to the group here is looking real good.
I may end up with some really expensive orange module cases (2) and antennas for future mods.
It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out and the final cost for a $29 module?
So, who's going to pay to beta test the first new HK 9x replacements?
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

They were hinting at a free replacement in some of their replies. What they'll probably end up doing, or at least what they should, is simply eat the loss, and send a new module to everyone. Makes no sense asking to send the old one back when they know it's not working. Makes no sense either for them to pay for return shipping, as that will cost them more than a new module.

My module finally got out of customs, but of course just too late for a Friday delivery, so I should get it Monday or Tuesday.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I guess and hope you right Kilrah.
I'm going to maybe post a request that the first 3 reviewers that posted that it worked in all modes and in all there radios stock or FW modified tell us their RC and technical background.
Strange that the first 3 posts are so universally positive and the 4th and all others were so negative with details?
Almost like these guys had pre production modules and the test were messed up at the factory, or worse, they're HK compensated reviewers?

A little dreaming here.
If they do make good, and do let us keep the bad modules, and it's a FW fix, maybe a good one could have the code read. I messed up and didn't look at the chip number but I'll post it ASAP.
I'm just mad at myself for trusting the reviewers and ordering 2, 1 for a friend. I won't charge him so I'm stuck with 2 orange modules. Ties up my hobby money for now. I could have bought more Frsky RXs and went flying. No I had to be first on block to have orange paper weights ha ha.
I look forward to your findings when your module arrives.
SM

ShowMaster
w4kac

Post by w4kac »

Hi fellas. My first post here. I have one of these modules that should arrive in today's mail (I'm in NC).
I'll try to do some bench testing in the next few days and report the results.

Ken
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good news Ken in a funny way.
You can see what happens out of the box. I'm assuming you're using er9x or open 9x if you radio is a 9x? I didn't read your profile.
Start out at 22 Ms and if your module is like most ch2 will act strange to not at all. Then reduce the frame setting to 21 and it gets better, 20 or less its ok.
3 HK reviewers say theirs were perfect so if that is true you could get lucky.
Good luck and let us know.
SM

ShowMaster

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Chip used in the HK orange DSM module.
Mine says Atmega 32 A4.
Is that good news for later?
SM

ShowMaster
w4kac

Post by w4kac »

ShowMaster wrote:Good news Ken in a funny way.
You can see what happens out of the box. I'm assuming you're using er9x or open 9x if you radio is a 9x? I didn't read your profile.
Start out at 22 Ms and if your module is like most ch2 will act strange to not at all. Then reduce the frame setting to 21 and it gets better, 20 or less its ok.
3 HK reviewers say theirs were perfect so if that is true you could get lucky.
Good luck and let us know.
SM

ShowMaster
Thanks ShowMaster. Yes, I have a T9x with open9x loaded. I have been using FrSky RF equipment. I've been following this
thread since the first day, and will test with default settings first and keep you guys posted.

Ken
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

ShowMaster wrote:Mine says Atmega 32 A4.
Is that good news for later?
Yes or no... reflashable of course, but might be complicated to access the required pins (there are no nice pads like in the 9x, soldering to the processor needed), and I doubt they'd supply a firmware file...
Alekseygo

Post by Alekseygo »

On rcgroups there is a message that in 2048 solution of problems isn't present. 7 and 9 ch receivers are able 2048, 6 ch-aren't able. A possible exit - to limit 6ch ppm for parлflight and if it is necessary - to use more than 6 receivers with support 2048. But it is necessary to test certainly. I yet didn't receive modules and I can not carry out the test.
But me 14 ch interest. - original Spektrum dm9 c the receiver is better to buy less than 9 ch.
w4kac

Post by w4kac »

Mine arrived this afternoon. I just did some testing and the results are the same as others have reported. Channel 2 is shaky and intermittent until the frame length is set below 20. This one seems most stable at 18. I also had the channel limit set to 6.

Ken
Alekseygo

Post by Alekseygo »

You have 9 channels orange? Please make tests with it. It will not be possible in 2048 problem permission.
w4kac

Post by w4kac »

Alekseygo wrote:You have 9 channels orange? Please make tests with it. It will not be possible in 2048 problem permission.
I only have 4 and 6 channel receivers at this time, but regardless, this module should work with them, as advertised.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

w4kac wrote:
Alekseygo wrote:You have 9 channels orange? Please make tests with it. It will not be possible in 2048 problem permission.
I only have 4 and 6 channel receivers at this time, but regardless, this module should work with them, as advertised.
I agree. When I got mine a week ago and had the channel 2 issue I was bummed. It was then that I first cane up with the work around of 18-20 Ms frame length and posted it. Boy did that start a fire storm of posts at HK. First it was "that's not a fix" ( I said work around, not a fix), then it was embraced as the only option that works.

It was also a big boost fir er9x and open9x users because we can fly some normal DSM modes if 6Ch or less while this all gets sorted out.
Most wanted this module to be able to fly the cheap HK orange RXs and thanks to our moded 9x we can!
I made the mistake of ordering 2 modules so I hope a permanent fix happens soon.
I'll take 6 ch max flying for now.
I bought it for mostly indoor BNF stuff and have up on dsm2 several years ago due to link loss crashes using all Spektrum gear.
Frsky all the way now for any plane I want to take home with me from the field.
The real HK questions are,
How long for a fix and will we have to eat out purchases? We all know we won't quit ordering from HK over $29 and they know that too! It'll be interesting.
SM

ShowMaster
w4kac

Post by w4kac »

Exactly Showmaster, and I'm not complaining. I knew I was taking a chance from the moment I put it on the shopping cart, and I'm glad we have
the work around. I don't currently even have anything ready to fly it in, but hope to soon, and will be watching for flight reports. From what I have
seen on the bench, I don't think flying with the work around will be any more risky than flying with any of this type of budget gear.

Ken
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Maybe you haven't seen, someone else reported the module would work fine even with framerates >20ms if servo sync pulse is set to <250us. Still don't have my module to try...

My concerns with these workarounds is that there's another failure waiting to happen. As long as something has a design flaw, who knows what else could be done wrong.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

w4kac wrote:Exactly Showmaster, and I'm not complaining. I knew I was taking a chance from the moment I put it on the shopping cart, and I'm glad we have
the work around. I don't currently even have anything ready to fly it in, but hope to soon, and will be watching for flight reports. From what I have
seen on the bench, I don't think flying with the work around will be any more risky than flying with any of this type of budget gear.

Ken
I didn't take it as complaining.

ShowMaster
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah wrote:Maybe you haven't seen, someone else reported the module would work fine even with framerates >20ms if servo sync pulse is set to <250us. Still don't have my module to try...

My concerns with these workarounds is that there's another failure waiting to happen. As long as something has a design flaw, who knows what else could be done wrong.
The band aid work around was more to prove the module works and we're not to blame. That it doesn't work as advertised as HK sort of implied in their damage control statement.
The funny thing for me about all this is I got tired of my dX7 having link losses and ended up going the 9x er9x Frsky route to enjoy solid flying again. Now I've not only digressed back in the dsm2 link loss world, but I'm doing it using acloned tx module that's worse and a $5 cloned RX. Added to that the fact that I built a working dx4e module for my 9x that has link loss of its own.
The words dumb and dumber come to mind ha ha.
I have to admit, for a $29 investment I'm sure getting a ride reading our rants.
SM

ShowMaster
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

May someone do some test increasing ppm frame rate up to 32.5msec ?
In a module i have tested problems moves to ch3..
???? what the hell...
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Another interesting report:
a module bought at day 1: perfectly working with AR500, Orange 610 and orange 910 receivers.
Using standard open9x settings..

I start thinking there are at least two versions around...
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

HobbyKing just updated the note about the "possible problems" in the module with a more positive statement:
"*****************************************************************
Product Update:
Tested and working with:
TURNIGY 9X [Standard Software] @ 20ms 8Ch PPM Setting
JR 3810 and JR9XII
More systems to follow..
We are still working to identify the incompatibility with some systems and will have a response by the 23/11/2012.
*****************************************************************"
At the same time they removed the information that the module could be used to control up to 14 channels. Not that that was ever likely to happen :-)
Looks like a buildup to a whitewash. "It's not our fault that people modify radios and break compatibility. Put the original software back in and you are good to go".

But how standard is a 8 channel 20 ms frame anyways? Frame lengths of 22.5ms have frequently been said to be standard earlier. Are those claims "wrong"?
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

And now they have removed the information altogether and posted this:
We are replacing all first batch modules. See the page below to see if you are eligable.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oducts.asp

This turned up for my order number:

Your order has been found to contain the product 9171000070 which is due for replacement. Your replacement will be sent within 14 days after the order is checked to be valid. Do not contact Customer Service regarding this product as it will automatically be sent to you and a query to Customer Service may delay your replacement.

All well that ends well!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'd be interested to know if 8ch on a 20mS frame rate works reliably if all 8 channels are at 2.0mS, on the standard module/receiver. Besides, my Turnigy 9x says it is a 9 channel system!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I just entered the order # for the one I have and one that still in transit and got the same good news. Both will be replaced! Just to test the system I entered another order # I made wotout the module and it returned that my order did not contain this module so it's actually checking. Not just a generic message. Good for HK!
I think they made the best decision for a bad situation!
Thanks for adding this link in to your post.
SM

ShowMaster
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I received my module today, made a few tests and found a way to show the problem quite well. I'll make a video later. It appears that (at least my module) and an ar7000 works best with 22.0ms. Servo sync pulse length, PPM polarity and number of channels have no influence. I haven't been able to see the problem "drift" onto CH3, but the radio I have here has an old open9x version that only goes up to 32.5ms. I'll check again one I'm home.

Good news about the new module being sent, they did what I hoped they would :)

Mike, your 9x was a 9-channel system when used in PCM mode with a MHz module :)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Kilrah wrote:I'll make a video later
There we go:
As reported at by many, CH2 has bad response in some cases. In fact, the servo signal simply completely disappears at times, so it's easy to make the problem very apparent with an analog servo as it will just lose its torque and "let go".
This is with an original Spektrum AR7000 receiver.
22.5ms PPM framerate: Huge, long drops, probably 75% control, 25% drop.
Increasing framerate: frequency increases, ratio stays same
22ms: Either stable and fine, or no response at all. I suppose period simply tends to infinity, i.e. several seconds / minutes of normal control, then same without control.
Decreasing framerate: Frequency also increases, and control seems to become normal again at 18ms.
http://youtu.be/p5IQxlOPdxI?hd=1
Alekseygo

Post by Alekseygo »

ShowMaster wrote: I think they made the best decision for a bad situation!
It is healthy that they came to this decision. I wrote to them about it much, but there was no response. Then I opened disput and wrote too most. As a result - my order removed. Now to all will send new modules, and I will receive problems with a claim and I will depend on results of its consideration. But I am all the same glad, even if I will lose 60 dollars that for the others the situation was resolved well.

It is a pity that they don't consider that the client is right when defends the rights. Also it is a pity that they nevertheless say lies and change the goods description depending on weather. Let's look, as the situation in my case will be resolved, but will prove paypal the goods difficultly, and to change to me modules they don't intend.
gbmarsh

Post by gbmarsh »

Hmmm, now the HK website is down for 'maintenance'. I wonder what will remain of the discussion for this product when it comes back up. Does that sound paranoid? ;)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

They already cleaned up earlier today when they announced everybody would get a replacement.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

someone will get fired :D
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

their servo is not back as of now 'our servo will be back in 40 min'.
There is some problem in the past few days for sure. I could not place an order in the past few days. I sent their IT about my problem of not able to order, they told me 'please delete all cookies or get off the network you are on, try another network'. I guess they finally found out there is a problem in their servo. ;) Like Jhsa said, some one is going to loose his/her job. for 2-3 days, how many people around the globe won't be able to place orders. wow..

By the way, did not know Kilrah is the VP before. ;)

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”