DSM for dummys?

Like DSM2/DSMX? Want to mod your radio to support it? Post your messages here!
ttabbal

Re: DSM for dummys?

Post by ttabbal »

Crucial wrote:I just sourced a hobby zone champ RTF radio so I have an X10EMTX rf board I can use as a donor. This looks like the same one used in Rob's tutorial. Is this one of the low power modules? If so is there a known range limit on these? Also, I see that the er9x model menu has a DSM2 protocol selection. I take it this is all that is required when using a model that connects to the newly installed RF board?

Yes, low power. For range I would guess anything you would expect the stock setup to do. It came with a Champ, you can't get all that far away and still see the plane. :) There are a ton of variables for range on any RF link, so there's not really one true answer there. I would say it will work fine for park-flyer type range, but I'm only planning to use mine indoors or for micros like the champ, so range is really a non-issue for me. For larger planes I'll use the Flysky setup or the FrSky setup in the future for stuff I spend more money on. My 9x has the fully detachable module, so swapping to FrSky in the field will be easy. I'm just getting started in all this, and expect to crash a lot, sometimes intentionally (combat), so the cheaper FlySky RXs are attractive. :D

ttabbal

Post by ttabbal »

Crucial wrote: I looked at using the RTF Tx antenna tube in the stock radio and it looks like the antenna is a tight fit but will slide into the stock antenna spot perfectly. I didn't shove it all the way in in the pic since that was one of my parts radios and I didn't want to have to try and pull it back out. I doubt it would need any glue to hold it in.

That's what I found as well. I like the look better with the antenna than the plug, and it fits well. The plastic shell fell out when I disassembled the radio, so I pulled the plug and tried sticking it in there just to see how it would fit/look.

I'm planning to post a pic later of my programmer/usb setup too... I replaced the power jack with a USB input for the programmer. :)
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

I will be using it for micros and indoor use only as well. I have an airmod dsm2 module for anything I want thats full range. I just don't like taking the module in and out. It will eventually fail in some manner with repeated insertion.

I do have one other question for the electronics gurus. Can I substitute an IN4005 diode for n IN4001?
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

4005 should work.
Forward characteristics are the same for all the 1N400x, last digit denotes maximum reverse voltage. 100 versus 500 not an issue here :)

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/1N%2F1N4001.pdf
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

ttabbal wrote:Sigh.... One thing I managed to do though, opening and closing the case over and over is strip the plastic where the screws attach. Any good fixes for that?
depending on the depth of the hole, you could put a piece of toothpick in there to tighten it up. I have also used the insulation from a small wire.

GrootWitbaas

DSM for dummys?

Post by GrootWitbaas »

Easy fix, put some epoxy in there, wait for it to dry, drill a small hole and you have a brand new one. Used and confirmed by many.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.930509,9.477755
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General trouble maker and wannabee Dev
ttabbal

Post by ttabbal »

Quote of post above removed by MOD

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Here is a pic of the RTF Tx 3.3v regulator. The Vout and output both have 3.3v. Which one is the right one to use when using it to power the RF board in the 9x?
Attachments
volreg.jpg
GrootWitbaas

DSM for dummys?

Post by GrootWitbaas »

It's the same pin so your choice

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.930435,9.478139
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't know if I'd use that regulator to power the RF... I think there might be the risk of brownouts..
Maybe a external regulator would be better..
Just my 2c
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kayle

Post by Kayle »

You can use the internal Vreg when you use only the "non" full range dsm module like the mlp4dsm. When you use the Full Range Module from the DX4e, DX5e .... it´s better to use an external Vreg.

Kayle
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

I assumed that regulator would work since that's what powers it in the RTF Tx. I don't see why it would work in one and not the other?

I also wanted to use an external vreg to keep all of the wiring on the back side of the radio if possible. This would eliminate the need to make another connector or having the two halves permanently connected by a wire.

This is assuming the regulator on the power switch board is up to the task since it is already running the piezo speaker and vibrator motor.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Crucial wrote:I just sourced a hobby zone champ RTF radio so I have an X10EMTX rf board I can use as a donor. Is this one of the low power modules? If so is there a known range limit on these?
Let's put it this way. The Champ radio has enough range for the Champ if you don't fly it to the visual limit. This is not a full power/full range setup. Good for small models only.
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

The regulator from the RTF should be fine to use with the module from the same transmitter.
Use the 5 volts as the supply for it, not the main battery voltage.

Pat MacKenzie
ttabbal

Post by ttabbal »

Success! The 9x binds to my mcx2 heli. The setup is all kinds of wrong though.. Lol. Anyone have an eepe file for it or another small dsm2 coax heli? I'll post some pics.

pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

If it usually flies with the little LP4DSM2 transmitter then it should work with:

ch1 100% THR
ch2 100% AIL
ch3 100% ELEV
ch4 100% RUD
ttabbal

Post by ttabbal »

Thanks! That plus calibrating the sticks got me going.

I also had to invert the RUD and AIL as having them backward when flying was confusing... :D

Compared to the stock TX, which isn't much I'll grant, this 9X/er9x/DSM2 is amazing. So much smoother on the sticks.
Crucial

DSM for dummys?

Post by Crucial »

Quick pics of my module board.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328772646.696872.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328772606.202237.jpg
Crucial

DSM for dummys?

Post by Crucial »

Installed and tested.

Bound up fine to my mcx2. I can even see the led through the speaker grill on the front of the radio to see what it's doing.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328774779.272890.jpg
GrootWitbaas

Post by GrootWitbaas »

Just a small bit of advice, put a bit of heat shrink or isolation on the resistor on the ppm line.
The mod looks fine and nicely done
costasp

Post by costasp »

Crucial wrote:Installed and tested.

Bound up fine to my mcx2. I can even see the led through the speaker grill on the front of the radio to see what it's doing.
Nice work.

I use the same module but I have only orange rx from HK and I have problem bind to the module. I disable splash screen and keep TRN until TX show the first screen. the red light on module flash for 3'' and then stay on, but the RX don't bind.
do I do something wrong or the orange its not working with the module?

I use Proto: DSM2 and Type : LP4/LP5.
Firmware r704

TIA
CP
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

I haven't tried binding mine to an orange or other knock off rx's. I will have to try that tonight.

I do have another thought. I have a friend with a DX8 and he was asking me if it would be possible to solder in an frsky or flysky module into his radio. I haven't been able to find anyone who's done it and I don't have enough info about the dx8 to even know if it would be possible.
costasp

Post by costasp »

Quote removed by MOD - No Need to Quote post directly above yours

waiting for your result..

Thanks
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

I posted this before, and I shall again.

Above are rx's that successfully bound to the dsm module I have, it's a atmx10, similar to atmx11, and these do bind with a module from a dx4e, all supporting model match.

All sorts of oranges, a wide variety of spektrum, bind perfectly with ultra micro planes from parkzone without issue too.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

costasp wrote:...
Firmware r704

TIA
CP

Change your protocol to lp4/lp5... (that's in er9x , model setup menu, page 2)
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

we aren't using those same modules though. I don't know if they are any different. I'll find out more tonight.
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

lp4 binds to all those as well. No issues. No model match , but it works with them all too.
costasp

Post by costasp »

cre8tiveleo wrote:
costasp wrote:...
Firmware r704

TIA
CP

Change your protocol to lp4/lp5... (that's in er9x , model setup menu, page 2)
Thank you for the tip but already set DSM2 protocol and DSM Type = LP4/LP5. my module is "X10EMTX B". try all DSM types but same result :(
I also try the AR9000 RX with successful bind but nothing is working (THR-AIL-ELE-RUD).
I Check the SIG pin with Oscillator and I have 6 Ch working with sticks.
I don't have any other RX and I don't know how to check the final stage of the module if is working.

CP
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

ar9000 won't work with certain tx modules. dx6i won't, and I do believe the lp4dsm modules also won't work, it's documented on the spektrum site.
pmackenzie

Post by pmackenzie »

costasp wrote: Thank you for the tip but already set DSM2 protocol and DSM Type = LP4/LP5. my module is "X10EMTX B". try all DSM types but same result :(
I also try the AR9000 RX with successful bind but nothing is working (THR-AIL-ELE-RUD).
I Check the SIG pin with Oscillator and I have 6 Ch working with sticks.
I don't have any other RX and I don't know how to check the final stage of the module if is working.

CP
What does the LED on the receiver do during the bind process?

Pat MacKenzie

Return to “DSM2/DSMX Mods”