Is FrSky's data port actually duplex?

Love the 9x? Use FRSky? Post your questions and answers here!
Kilrah

Is FrSky's data port actually duplex?

Post by Kilrah »

Pretty stupid, but it seems it's mentioned nowhere. Is it possible to send data onto the TX module's RS232 port (usually used to configure alarms), and have it sent up to the model on the receiver's TXD that seems never to be used? That would be awesome, could for example configure a mikrokopter board or similar right from the 9X (with the appropriate menus coded of course)...

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Is FrSky's data port actually duplex?

Post by MikeB »

Apparantly not, I did investigate this, I thought it would be a good way of getting more channels.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Bah, too bad.

I wouldn't think bandwidth would be sufficient for more (reliable) channels, but just to send a command to an onboard device once in a while should be possible...
C.João

Post by C.João »

I'm pretty sure it could work in a real 2 way with the "right" firmware on both radio module and receiver. (the tricky part would be pooling the messages between the telemetry data.
C.João

Post by C.João »

more on this... with the "right" firmware (from frsky) we could use a "normal" receiver for plane control and "other" receiver (connected by serial port) for pwm or digital channels (lighting and other stuff.)

its not hard to add a buffer to power some LED's a simple and old ULN2003 could "buffer" 7 ports with no extra components

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep. Only problem is that apparently unfortunately FrSky haven't made such firmware... which was my original question.

Return to “The FRSKY Forum”