question of Frysky VD5M rx

Love the 9x? Use FRSky? Post your questions and answers here!
kaos

question of Frysky VD5M rx

Post by kaos »

Does any one know the real effective range of Frysky VD5M rx? On Frysky's site it says > 300 meters.
This seems to be a great rx if the range can reach 300 meters and is 5ch. (I can't LOS fly a plane of 1.4m beyond 300 meters anyway.)
the web site explanation is kind of vague whether it is two way or one way. It starts with saying it is telemetry in D mode. then it says it does not transmit data back to Tx. and it says you need to connect either ch1-5 or ch2-5?
It can be used on micros. but for a lot of planes 5ch is adequate. the price is right too.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... metry.html
http://www.frsky-rc.com/uploadfile/2012 ... 516957.pdf

ShowMaster

Re: question of Frysky VD5M rx

Post by ShowMaster »

The reason as I read it for the t RX modes is because it is a one way RX but will bind to a 2 way or 1 way Tx module. The one way tx modules are discontinued so you'll have go have one or use the newer DJT, DFT, or DHT with it.
Since the 2 way tx modules can be put into 1 way or 2 way mode I think I know what's going on. If you bind this RX to a lets's say a DJT in the 2 way mode and all you're other RXs are 2 way you won't have to move the dip switches. This is good because the dip switches when moved a lot can fail.
Hopefully my thinking is on the right track
To answer your question, no this is not a 2 way RX but it can be configured to connect to a module in the 2 way mode.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
kaos

Post by kaos »

SM: I think what you are saying is what I interpret it too.
What it means by using ch 2+5 with binding plug to go to two way mode?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Easy, if your TX module is in one-way mode you need to bridge CH1 and CH5 with the little cable that's supplied to bind. If your TX module is in 2-way mode, you have to bridge CH2 and CH5.

FWIW I crashed a model on a loss of control at <150m with one, never used those again.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks Kilrah.
I think you pretty much said it all.
Indoor RX only.
SM

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

kaos

Post by kaos »

What do you use for micros for parkfly?
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Frsky 4 channel

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm all those I have that are too small for a D4FR or D4R-II have an integrated RX...

Still haven't been able to order spare parts for the broken plane, but I was going to go for a micro DSM OrangeRX with the same plugs as the VD5M. Only 4 channels unfortunately, but on that particular plane it's fortunately enough, for once.
kaos

Post by kaos »

yep, that is what I am looking for too. a 2 g 5ch rx for micros.
I foung this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=20125
looks like a fun micro. brushless. cheaper than UMX sbach. but I would like to have 5 ch to get the flaperon.
why VD5M is having trouble at 150M? Did you ever find out?
IF not flying FPV, a micro at 150M is far enough, but with a little 1g cam on it. it will get beyond 150M easy. ;)
I am planning on ALL my plane will have simple FPV capability. Got one 1g cam, one 2g cam already, for a bigger like around 800mm or bigger plane the 200mW tx should do it. but for these micros. I NEED THAT 50MW(or it's a 20 mW) TX. :mrgreen:

By the way, Kilrah, how is your AC3 sbach doing? compare to the old UMX sBach?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kaos wrote:why VD5M is having trouble at 150M? Did you ever find out?
No idea. Didn't even try it again.
kaos wrote:I foung this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=20125
looks like a fun micro. brushless. cheaper than UMX sbach. but I would like to have 5 ch to get the flaperon.
I got one of these initially:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

But IMO it was a POS, heavy, vibrating motor, short flight time, doesn't fly well,... I only found the Sbach later and bought it mainly because of the looks, but it was another world, never touched the HK one again.
kaos wrote:By the way, Kilrah, how is your AC3 sbach doing? compare to the old UMX sBach?
For normal flight it might be a bit more precise, but I don' think it would be that good for FPV. The stabilisation system is sometimes actually introducing shakes on its own even when it's calm.
kaos

Post by kaos »

sounds like I should cancel the idea of getting a HK micro. But the price is double for a UMX AC3 Sbach and you said it is not good for FPV.
Hmm, I may have to roll the dice to see if I want to try out the Hk micro (the one I showed, definitely not the one you once had ;) ).
Thx for all these info.

Return to “The FRSKY Forum”